Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

170(?) side of prompton got whooped!

Well I went for a little ride with a friend of mine up at prompton this morning, and the side with the boat launch got absolutely hammered from the storm yesterday. The trails on that side of the lake closer to the dam weren't so bad, a few small trees here and there, but the orchard trail(i think is what its called, the white trail up near the road) on the other side was absolutely un-ridable. Literally every 50 feet or so, huge trees had been blown over from the high winds, i walked around maybe 6 or 7 spots like that until i was just fed up and hit the road. It was a real bummer because i like doing that side quite a bit! Anyway, i haven't seen anything like it and wanted to throw a heads up to anyone hoping to get out to prompton. I'm going to try the other side of the lake tomorrow morning (blueberry, green trail, etc.) and i'm just hoping it isnt as bad. I'll post tomorrow night and let everyone know whats up! Take care

ganginwood
    this sounds like the usual......
    "i went to ride and there was blowdown. can someone move it for me? in the meantime, i'll ride other stuff until it is cleared."
    try this.....
    http://store.everestgear.com/eqger330.html

cleans up about 90% of the mess and is easy to carry. you can even slide it in between your leg and lycra shorts while you ride.
    when you master the art of trail maintenance, feel free to bring it to dinner and cut your steak. then you know you're bad a$$.

[
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by odinserben
    Well I went for a little ride with a friend of mine up at prompton this morning, and the side with the boat launch got absolutely hammered from the storm yesterday. The trails on that side of the lake closer to the dam weren't so bad, a few small trees here and there, but the orchard trail(i think is what its called, the white trail up near the road) on the other side was absolutely un-ridable. Literally every 50 feet or so, huge trees had been blown over from the high winds, i walked around maybe 6 or 7 spots like that until i was just fed up and hit the road. It was a real bummer because i like doing that side quite a bit! Anyway, i haven't seen anything like it and wanted to throw a heads up to anyone hoping to get out to prompton. I'm going to try the other side of the lake tomorrow morning (blueberry, green trail, etc.) and i'm just hoping it isnt as bad. I'll post tomorrow night and let everyone know whats up! Take care
    Thanks for the heads up! We appreciate your report...

I'm sure it will get cleared by someone... There are a lot of good people out there who really care about the trails!

We suffered the same storm at Frances Slocum and have lot's to clean up there also...

Let us know how it goes

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Green trail completely unridable.

Well i went back to prompton today, and rode blueberry and eagle pass. Blueberry came out more or less unscathed, while eagle pass to the sugar shack junction was basically demolished. I would absolutely help out in any way to get these trails back up, as a matter of fact i was wondering how legal it would be to bring a chain saw up through there? ganginwood, i'm talking whole trees have been felled in this storm, BIG trees. It would easily take weeks of full time clearing to get these trails to how they were. Its really quite a shame. If there is ever any trail work going on i would love to help out. Thanks.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Well i went back to prompton today, and rode blueberry and eagle pass. Blueberry came out more or less unscathed, while eagle pass to the sugar shack junction was basically demolished. I would absolutely help out in any way to get these trails back up, as a matter of fact i was wondering how legal it would be to bring a chain saw up through there? ganginwood, i'm talking whole trees have been felled in this storm, BIG trees. It would easily take weeks of full time clearing to get these trails to how they were. Its really quite a shame. If there is ever any trail work going on i would love to help out. Thanks.
    Gary and I will be up Sunday Join us if you like! I don't have direct permission from the staff at Prompton SP but I'm a DCNR Conservation & Recreation volunteer and by Sunday I will have permission to run a Chain Saw there!

See ya then!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great, Sunday would work out good for me. You guys planning on doing any trail in particular? Any set time? I'll try and drag a couple of buddy's of mine who use the trails a bunch too to help out. Thanks!
    Doug

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Great, Sunday would work out good for me. You guys planning on doing any trail in particular? Any set time? I'll try and drag a couple of buddy's of mine who use the trails a bunch too to help out. Thanks!
    Doug
    Doug;

I haven't hear from Kevin Pender yet. He is the guy who does all the work there, but we can plan to do any trail. The more people with hand saws the better. I just emailed DCNR and if I have to I will use my hand saw for the small stuff of course I haven't seen how bad it is so I might be foolish saying that last comment... LOL! But we will get something done!

Good talk'in to ya!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    this sounds like the usual......
    "i went to ride and there was blowdown. can someone move it for me? in the meantime, i'll ride other stuff until it is cleared."
    try this.....
    http://store.everestgear.com/eqger330.html

cleans up about 90% of the mess and is easy to carry. you can even slide it in between your leg and lycra shorts while you ride.
    when you master the art of trail maintenance, feel free to bring it to dinner and cut your steak. then you know you're bad a$$.

[
    Where do ya put the gas in that?... LOL! Damn new mini 4 strokes!

mtbr member
    I just recvd a call form my good friend Kevin Pender (he is the guy that maintains Prompton). The storm the other night appears to be a twister causing major storm damage. Kevin states trails have disappeard with hundreds of fall down. The entire 20+ mile trail system has been affected.

He needs your help. This trail system was built & is maintained by 3 people. The storm damage will take years to clear out with just 3 people.

Please contact Kevin if you can help. His email is kjp15@verizon.net

as most of you know, prompton trails were hit hard by a bad storm...(rumored to be a twister) meeting on sunday at 9am to start the clean up...tools needed, chain saws, bow saws, lopers, rakes, Neil

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Where's everyone meeting tomorrow, near the beech grove rode side? Thanks
    Doug

Someone stole my Pacific!
    Aug 2007
    I might be able to make it up to Prompton to help out on Sunday, depending on how my schedule shakes out. Problem is, I've never been to Prompton, and I won't get there till 11 or so!

I think I found the boat launch and parking area on Google Earth...From the parking lot what direction should I walk in to find the trail?

The trail review on MTBR says that there is a "Northeast Sports on Main St in Honesdale that may have trail maps (according to a trail review from '04) I'm guessing they won't be open at 11 am on Sunday, though.

I think I can get my hands on a bow saw and a small hand axe. They're the most appropriate tools I have available, since it sounds like most of the work will be fallen trees. Or should I run up to Dick's Sporting goods and grab one of those little folding saws?

I'll know for sure if I can make it around 9-10 PM tonight, and I'll repost then. That way, if I can't make it, no one has to go through all the trouble of giving me directions. Thanks!

Frank

mtbr member
    Meet at the first parking lot off of 170 at 9am. We'll split up from there. Gloves, chain saws, loppers, hatchets, and hand saws will be needed. ttyl, Fahn

Someone stole my Pacific!
    Aug 2007
    I'll be rolling in around 11:30 or so if you're all still there. Sounds like there's enough work to keep us busy for a long time.

Frank

mtbr member
    Well about 10 showed up today. Kevin, me and 2 girls did the 170 side. About 5 did the other side. Dan went in early (5am) and had also worked yesterday with a chainsaw cutting well over 60 trees between the 2 days. We had some help when the DCNR crew from Lackawanna State Park showed up too. I gave up the chain saw and grabbed my trusty friend, the Brush Hog. I did Orchard (high on the 170 side) almost from the boat launch out to the R/C airfield.

I'll be up tomorrow night to work on the lower trail- same section, or the part from the dam to the boat launch- high or low trail. This side of the lake really grew in within the last 2-3 years due to the gypsy moths eating away the canvas. The low growth comes in and leans over the trail and grows rapidly. It's cut down low, but the remains are all over the trail. If someone can grab a rake and clean up the dead stuff that's cut off, that would be great.

There were a couple of guys who were also working on The Cliff trail. That trail has also suffered from no canvas and a bunch of overgrowth. They took a weed wacker and tried to clean that section up. IDK how they made out though.

ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

Chris and Lee hit the trails at 12 and met Kevin Pender and others, then we cleaned the Green & Red trails! Chainsaws were the tool of choice!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

Chris and Lee hit the trails at 12 and met Kevin Pender and others, then we cleaned the Green & Red trails! Chainsaws were the tool of choice!

mtbr member
    Cool, You were just beneath me then. Didn't you guys want to visit me? JK. What a mess that was, Huh? I've seen Merli when trees fall, but these were tree tops 30' high that just broke consistently leaving trees and limbs spread in sections that were 50 feet of unridable debris.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Damn, you guys must of kicked some major ass to get all that done in a day! I had some surprise father's day stuff to attend to in the a.m. sunday(unexpectedly), and then work, so i couldnt make it. i emailed Kevin Pender to see where you guys left off and he said the whole things clear! wow. Where do you think the worst part of it was? Anyway, way to go guys!
    Doug

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm Thanks to all...

...who made it and got the work done! There are still lot's of debris on the trail and others might wanna do a walk through to remove all the derailer grabbers.

Let us know how you make out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

clean up

Thanks to all who helped clean up the trails at Prompton State park on sunday I didn`t think it could be done in one day I know I could not have done it with out all the help.I don`t know if many saw how bad the green trail (eagle pass) was ,it was the worst & Dan R & Ron Mc did all that an then some.So if anyone want to help work the trails,cutting weeds& pickers & keeping the trails open & passable let me know .Thanks again to everyone Kevin

mtbr member
    FWIW I went up today and brush hogged the West Shore trail. I was up there for 3.5 hrs and I only got out to the stone wall. I'll take a guess and say it's a little better than half way.

I can't believe how grown in the trails have gotten this year. The thorn bushes have grown in and made some of the trail about 2' wide. I went through and backed it up by 2-3 feet per side.

The trails will DESPERATLEY need to be raked. I might be up another time or two this week to finish hogging that side.

ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Larry:

Ya, and when I suggested a workday last November it feel on deaf ears!

I wonder if riding the trail that grew in improves HEARING?... LOL!

mtbr member
    I knew the West side trails needed a trimming. The Red trail on the other side though is wet due to mud puddles and go arounds. That trail is rarley ridden and just needs to be re routed in general. Then again, I haven't ridden that trail in 2-3 years due to the wetness so I might be 100% wrong.

The only reason I shot down the idea of doing all of that was because we had TNC lined up for this year. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks for the triming on the 170 side its a big help .I was up today doing the cliff trail & sidewinder its good to go now.the red trail on the back side is good to ride ,i have over the years did a lot of rock work & it`s pretty good not as long as the higher trails but sometimes ya don`t have time to ride it all,its a good shorter ride.As for the guy who wanted a work day up here nobody ever called me on it.I work these trails all year long,infact last year I cut back almost every trail up here some of them 3 & 4 times,so any time anyone would like to help let me know ,I could use the help thank KP

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kevin:

That would be me who tried to form a workday last year. Larry Fahn and I spoke of it a bit. I know you always did the work there. My intention was to do our own workday thus helping you in the long run. I will try my best to attend another one of your workdays this year or get there on another day. You have my email just give me a shout about a week in advance.

Thanks for all you do and it was good to see you, even if you only had a few moments to talk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast