Did you ever have ham?

1 world 2 wheels

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to urge all of you to go to the following site

http://1world2wheels.org/

It is a great site setup by Trek which details all the benefits of commuting by bike versus by car. I know what alot of you are thinking right now...Freaking Treehugger! How about this, bicycle commuting is not only good for the planet, it is good for you(exercise and fresh air), and good for your wallet(less gas at $2.70+). Check out that site and start saving yourself some green while you are being green!

Did you ever have ham?

1 World 2 Wheels

I am still relatively new to the idea of running errands and commuting via bike. Is there anyone out there that can share their experiences with me? I am in the process of building a trailer for my bike to make store runs easier. Any other equipment or gear that any of use that you have found handy? Trying to get fit and lose weight while cleaning up the planet for generations to come. Thanks for ANY input and advice!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Todd:

You could get a rack for the rear of your bike that attaches to the seat post and quick releases. On that you could go ghetto and buy a milk crate. You could line it with plastic sheeting and even attach a flip up closeable lid with hinges. That would make it water proof.

If you needed more room you could attach milk crates to each side of the rack like panniers and do the same with plastic sheeting to make it all waterproof and semi safe lockable.

On the front you do a leather bag like motorcycles use. You couldn't attach a rack cause you have a suspension fork so the handlebars or stem would be you attach point.

I have toured on bicycles many miles, but it was for fun, so I was as light as I needed to be. If your interested in touring let me know I have some great routes. Rick and I have a touring/camping route in Potter, Elk and Mc'Kean counties that follows old rail beds, dirt roads and very lightly traveled roads, and joins State Parks to camp at.Some days you never see a car on them, and great fishing streams too. Catch, cook and eating your meal is a great experience! Also touring routes in Erie county, Lycoming County in Pa and Genesee county, Wayne county, and the north western part of NY. You might be surprised at how much you really don't need to survive out there on the road, Chiffer can vouch for that, right Chris?

NEPMTBA
    TOURING IS FUN

Did you ever have ham?

... and if we just ... 1 world 2 wheels

Maybe one day I will decide to try bicycle touring, but for now I just want to use the bike for more and the truck for less. Save on gas and emissions and also benefit me health-wise! Maybe if I keep pedaling I will get buff and attract some women. Maybe, I am not holding my breath, though...LOL! I was thinking about the rack, but I think I would want something that mounts to more than the seatpost...for added capacity. I never thought of the idea of something like rear saddlebags. I will have to check on that. Thanks! Any other ideas or suggestions?

mtbr member
    hey motoman,

there's a bunch of good options for commuting and running errands by bike, depending on what your situation looks like. some good ideas for different situations:

if you have space and budget for a second bike, and will be doing relatively short-distance runs, globe has two great offerings - the live and the haul. the live has a big front basket with a 50lb capacity (though above 35 the slow-speed handling gets kind of sketchy), pretty zippy geometry, and very sharp looks. it comes in singlespeed, 3speed, and 8speed with hydro disc brakes. the haul is similar, but with a welded-on rear rack with _rediculous_ capacity. when the manufacturers were doing load testing, they couldn't break the rack! the geometry is a little slacker and the bike is heavier, so it isn't much fun to ride farther than a couple miles at a time, though you certainly could if you wanted. you put your own rack/basket/panniers on.

if you want to use your current bike for utility riding, there's any number of racks out there that will do the job. the traditional, 4-point tubular racks have about 50lb load capacity and are super sturdy, but are a pain to put on and take off and will make your bike back-heavy on the trail. topeak makes a really nice quick-release seatpost rack, which has a smaller capacity but can be taken on and off easily for smaller shopping trips.

and as long as you aren't carrying anything particularly heavy (over 40lbs) or fragile (eggs, light bulbs, or plums come to mind), messenger bags are comfortable, have huge capacity, and as an added bonus are usually waterproof. i don't like riding with mine more than an two hours at a time, but hell, they were designed for messengers who haul crap around all day with them. i've done 2-cases-of-beer runs, and regularly see guys riding around with 100lb, 3'x2'x1'8" file boxes in theirs (hopefully on very local deliveries).

best of luck on your new endeavor, and let us know how it goes!

Did you ever have ham?

Good job! 1 World 2 Wheels

Thanks Main Line,

I just checked out the Globe bikes, I love the Haul 1....wow! That is just the ticket! I will have to add it to my Christmas list....are you listening Santa?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Thanks Main Line,

I just checked out the Globe bikes, I love the Haul 1....wow! That is just the ticket! I will have to add it to my Christmas list....are you listening Santa?
    Moto:

I smell a road trip to Main Line cycles.He's a great guy!

Hey, Main Line got any cool trails we could ride on the day we road trip to your shop?

Did you ever have ham?
    Yes, I think a road trip to check out Main Line sounds like a wonderful idea!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Yes, I think a road trip to check out Main Line sounds like a wonderful idea!
    Hey Hannah:

Put up a damn "sig line" already will ya?

Did you ever have ham?

1 world 2 wheels

I think the first thing I am going to check into is a rigid mount rear rack. Does anyone know if these are compatible with a bike with rear disc brakes?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

I think the first thing I am going to check into is a rigid mount rear rack. Does anyone know if these are compatible with a bike with rear disc brakes?
    Moto:

I was at Cedar bike the other day, Dave has tons of bike racks. I saw one with an adapter for disc brakes, does your frame have mounting bosses near the rear axle?

NEPMTBA
    GO THE RAT:

Did you ever have ham?

1 World 2 Wheels

I am not sure if it does or not. I will have to take some pics and post them up for ya!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Did you ever have ham?

1 World 2 Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Moto:

I was at Cedar bike the other day, Dave has tons of bike racks. I saw one with an adapter for disc brakes, does your frame have mounting bosses near the rear axle?

NEPMTBA
    GO THE RAT:
    Well, here are some pics of the back of my bike. Is this compatible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 world 2 wheels-dsc01603.jpg  

1 world 2 wheels-dsc01604.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Looks like a threaded hole?
    Correct?
    If so your in luck, racks will fit up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 world 2 wheels-todds-chainstay-rack-mount.jpg  

mtbr member
    I commute semi regularly on my bike and go into town on it more often than not. The best thing I did was to convert an old 1980 Puegeot road bike into a SS and use that for my commuter. It works awesome and was free. I can't imagine it would be fun to commute on my FS bike, although my rigid 29er would be nice if I had extra wheels. I'll try and post up some pics of my commuter bike soon.

Did you ever have ham?

1 World 2 Wheels

Now that I found out that I can get a good rack for the rear of the bike, I will be using my bike for more around town errands. I want to look into a different set of wheels, as well. I found out that mountain bike tires do not like the pavement very much. My rear is almost bald which made my first ride in the snow fun today...LOL! Right now, my bike is pretty much a SS because I don't have the extra cash to replace the stretched out chain. I like it better that way, even when riding on trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I probably have a rack that will work for you. I will drag it with my next time we meet up. I ended up replacing that rack because I changed frames and needed one for a frame with no rack eyelets. The small parts might be tricky to find for it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Chriffer:

Great!

I have a multitude of fasteners in the shop so we an get your rack set up on Moto's 29er.

Thanks

Did you ever have ham?

1 World 2 Wheels

Tis getting to that time of year where I should start building a heated cab for the bike!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Moto:

I have the rack that Chriffer gave you, it's in the Factory Focus... LOL

NEPMTBA
    RIDE MORE

Did you ever have ham?

1 World 2 Wheels

Awesome! I will have to stop by sometime today and pick it up. Thanks,Chriffer!

Did you ever have ham?

1 World 2 Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Chriffer
    I probably have a rack that will work for you. I will drag it with my next time we meet up. I ended up replacing that rack because I changed frames and needed one for a frame with no rack eyelets. The small parts might be tricky to find for it.
    Thanks Chriffer! It's awesome...now if only I could get some decent weather to get outside to work on my trailer! Oh well, guess I just need to bundle up and do it!