Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! 1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride

The Penobscot Ridge Trail is only 1.6 miles in length, but there are accessory trails in this wide open valley of reclaimed land that lend themselves to much more riding and some with huge climbs, that a Moto would have a tough time getting to the top.

More pics here:
    http://nepmtba.piczo.com/rides2010pa...linkvar=000044
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0810.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0813.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0815.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0820.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0821.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Must have felt warm today compared to yesterday

mtbr member

Wanime to Lily Lake to Mocanaqua?

We rode there a couple of years ago.....always wondered if you could string together a route that starts at Penobscot Trail in Newport Township(Wanamie) that went over to Lily Lake and then to Mocanaqua and back to Penobscot Trail? Might be a "epic" ride for the near future. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    We rode there a couple of years ago.....always wondered if you could string together a route that starts at Penobscot Trail in Newport Township(Wanamie) that went over to Lily Lake and then to Mocanaqua and back to Penobscot Trail? Might be a "epic" ride for the near future. Ride On!
    Yes!

wounded knee
    Sunday felt warm outside compared to Saturday!

I'm looking forward to next Saturday's ride
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    I really like that place. Alot of potential there, especially on the other side of that ridge....

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by krazcustoms
    I really like that place. Alot of potential there, especially on the other side of that ridge....
    Yes, and it was research for our upcoming Cheese Steak Buffet later this year!

Did you ever have ham?
    I am going back to get that quad frame. Not sure if I am going to sell it to the metal recycler or make an electric quad! Any thoughts?
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thats my backyard and the area I ride most...there are a lot of options out there. I usually connect Penobscot to Mocanaqua then back.

And here is a fun fact..Earth Conservancy claims to have spent $55,000 to make the 1.6mile trail

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Nithius
    Thats my backyard and the area I ride most...there are a lot of options out there. I usually connect Penobscot to Mocanaqua then back.

And here is a fun fact..Earth Conservancy claims to have spent $55,000 to make the 1.6mile trail
    How many miles of trail do you think we could make with that kind of money!
    They just use existing Motorcycle or Quad trails, or even just old Yuke roads, most of the money is spent on putting a sign at the trail heads!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    I am going back to get that quad frame. Not sure if I am going to sell it to the metal recycler or make an electric quad! Any thoughts?
    Put REALLY BIG tires on it, fabricate a GRAVE DIGGER body, make a mini Monster truck out of it!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    SMASH IT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    How many miles of trail do you think we could make with that kind of money!
    They just use existing Motorcycle or Quad trails, or even just old Yuke roads, most of the money is spent on putting a sign at the trail heads!
    Not to mention the parking lots (2), picinic tables (2), and grilles (2)

I don't understand why more people aren't using this area - the singletrack potential on the other side of that ridge is huge.

"So why don't you go ahead and build stuff there, Kraz?"

It's on the list - one new trail in the MtTop area and a couple of trail 're-openings' to do first and if nobody else is doing anything over there by then, I most definitely will.

Heck (sorry for the strong language) it's ALREADY DESIGNATED as a mountain bike area!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kraz:

I'm cracking up!

Are you talking to yourself out loud again?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey Kraz I plan on adding some singletrack to the area this year. Alot of potential as long as I can keep it out of the quad riders line of sight. Anyone who isn't familiar with the area and wants to ride it hit me up..I know all the good stuff out there but you gotta bring your climbing legs

mtbr member
    Hey Kraz I plan on adding some singletrack to the area this year. Alot of potential as long as I can keep it out of the quad riders line of sight. Anyone who isn't familiar with the area and wants to ride it hit me up..I know all the good stuff out there but you gotta bring your climbing legs
    I know what you mean about the ignorant quad riders. I love the 'trail' on the backside of the ridge and even drained alot of the mud puddles/wet areas but the quads keep blocking up the drainage ditches by constantly riding through them. Plus, whenever a tree fell down, they would just bulldoze around it instead of getting off of their lazy asses and moving it out of the way. That ravine I'm talking about is always cool in the summer and it's neat they way you cross the creek 3 or 4 times but it's too muddy to keep after.

Here's where I was thinking about starting something - when you bike out of the southern parking lot (by the baseball fields) and head left up the shorter steep climb and continue on that same trail (towards the other parking lot) until it makes a gradual uphill right turn towards where they breached the dam a few years ago (technically the trail signs tell you to go straight there, to the other parking lot) so you are now on the other side of Penobscot Ridge. Right before the first creek crossing, if you make a 170degree right turn you'll see a nice group of ledges that would lend themselves to sweet singletrack. I've done a little exploring up there, and there are plenty of cool features to take advantage of. I didn't go all the way across, though, but I'm sure something could be made to spit you out around the same area as the other existing quad trail. I've also explored the abandoned quad trail that goes over the spine of the ridge, but the dirt there was extremely wet and about the consistency of pudding - and this was all from water seeping out of the ground, not from rain.

I have yet to do anything on the Mocanaqua side, but am anxious to see it. Maybe one of these times we can get a group ride together. And if you get to building any singletrack, let me know and I'm sure I can round up at least a few people to help with it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Kraz:

That's pretty funny since "EVERY TRAIL THERE" has been made by quads or Motos! Some ignorant, some not... LOL

I think you know what I'm talking about!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Kraz:

That's pretty funny since "EVERY TRAIL THERE" has been made by quads or Motos! Some ignorant, some not... LOL

I think you know what I'm talking about!
    Yeah, but on the back side of the ridge, where the creek is, there are sections of trail 10 to 15 feet wide where they were only 4-5 feet wide just a few years ago. It just irritates me that they think nothing of going around something that's fairly easy to fix yet I'm the one hauling a pick and shovel out there on a bicycle. Plus, I bet all those beer cans out there didn't fall off of a mountain bike!!

I know that there are responsible quad/moto riders out there (well, one at least LOL) but the things I see in the woods makes me think that you are in the minority.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kraz:

The entire Penobscot trail was built by Motos and Quads and then the EC says "Here's a Mt Bike trail" They didn't "BUILD" anything! They did the parking lots the signs and the grills. Not complaining though as they could os said here's a bird watching trail and no mt bikes allowed. But single track would of been more to the liking of mt bikers rather than a wide open eroded quad trail. I always said it's the mt bikers that taught the state and other organizations on what single track is. The state had no idea and used to build roads like it said in the manual, 30 feet wide, crowned, and benched for water runoff...LOL

1/2 Million dollars, 6 months to build a mile of rail trail and I by myself with a blower, chain saw, brush knife, and bit of fuel could build a mile of single track in a day for 10 bucks! Or free if I go "green", but would take 2 days...LOL

Yes, and I go back further when that whole valley had an old railbed running through it before the reclaim, and the ridge trail was only singletrack! It was an amazing trail and I rode my Mt bike and Trials Moto there and I had to wiggle through the trees! The Trials Moto is very low impact and doesn't spin the rear tire like an mxer, but anyway! Sad, but true quads don't have to build they just ride over, around, or through stuff! But on the other hand quads have opened, or kept open other areas that were trailess, is that a word? trailess? or grown in. Kinda metza, metza. What did Yogi Berra say "Ya gets what ya gets"

Mt bikers are the only beavers in the system... LOL, we like to build then ride and repair what we ride. On the other hand every ride I have done in the past month I have picked up aluminum cans and the next time I go to the same place there are more than before! Depressing...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, but on the back side of the ridge, where the creek is, there are sections of trail 10 to 15 feet wide where they were only 4-5 feet wide just a few years ago. It just irritates me that they think nothing of going around something that's fairly easy to fix yet I'm the one hauling a pick and shovel out there on a bicycle. Plus, I bet all those beer cans out there didn't fall off of a mountain bike!!

I know that there are responsible quad/moto riders out there (well, one at least LOL) but the things I see in the woods makes me think that you are in the minority.
    So what you are saying is that mtb riders that ride on hiking only trails etc. are the majority and the ones that ride on mtb marked trails are in the minority?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

We the people ...

mxer:

Rant:
    Minority? Majority? The ruling factor is "POWER" The hikers used to say: "Those Mt bikers are out of control get them off the trails" Now the Mt bikers say: "Those quads are ignorant they widen everything" Don't worry soon that ridge trail will be as wide as ROAD when the Rock Crawlers get to it. The Mt bikers can say those Rock Crawlers are ignorant also... LOL Then it will become a Walmart or housing developmant... LMAO

Walmarts, Housing Developments, Hikers, Quads, Motos and Off Roaders have been around way longer than Mt bikers!:

Kraz: Your thinking of going to Mocanaqua? Better buy a roll cage for your MTB. The engine equipped groups fly around at high speed through there and they aren't ignorant. THET JUST DON"T CARE! I have seen brandie new quads fresh off the show room floor totally destroyed cause the guys buddies said "Com'on Jim you can make that hill your riding a Raptor" Six grand down the drain is 30 seconds!

Better Rant:
    I think it's pretty ironic the the "official" Penobscot trail is 1.6 miles AND NOT THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN So with that they have said yes you can ride your Mt bike on that trail, but no quads/Motos on there! The ridge trail was an old coal miners path, and never was deemed a Mt bike only trail. If your up on the ridge mt biking expect to see quads/Motos riding there, it is not only mt biking! Don't assume that the entire area is only mt biking.

Supreme Rant:
    I know plenty of responsible quad/Moto guys who ride stuff everywhere just as mt bikers do! Plenty of hunters, hikers and mt bikers also leave beer cans out there on the trails. Mt bikers will go out a cut new trails everywhere without permission. Now what do they expect, when a quad or moto guy goes out to ride, they see the open trail and follow it. They don't know it's a mt bike trail? It doesn't make the quad/Moto guys ignorant, they are just riding around. I have been on quad rides and have heard "Those stupid mt bikers should get the F out of our way they are so F-ing slow, this is a QUAD trail... LOL"

There is plenty of pristine single track in state and county parks where Motos and quads aren't allowed to ride.

Too much CRYING, your tires don't know weather it's a quad/Moto or Mt bike trail

SHUT UP, GET TOGETHER, GET ALONG, AND F-ING JUST RIDE... LOL

BBBRRRRAAPPPPPPPP...

Here's a great T-Shirt from our friends at Hardcore Quad Racing! BUY ONE!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    mxer:

Rant:
    Minority? Majority? The ruling factor is "POWER" The hikers used to say: "Those Mt bikers are out of control get them off the trails" Now the Mt bikers say: "Those quads are ignorant they widen everything" Don't worry soon that ridge trail will be as wide as ROAD when the Rock Crawlers get to it. The Mt bikers can say those Rock Crawlers are ignorant also... LOL Then it will become a Walmart or housing developmant... LMAO

Walmarts, Housing Developments, Hikers, Quads, Motos and Off Roaders have been around way longer than Mt bikers!:

Kraz: Your thinking of going to Mocanaqua? Better buy a roll cage for your MTB. The engine equipped groups fly around at high speed through there and they aren't ignorant. THET JUST DON"T CARE! I have seen brandie new quads fresh off the show room floor totally destroyed cause the guys buddies said "Com'on Jim you can make that hill your riding a Raptor" Six grand down the drain is 30 seconds!

Better Rant:
    I think it's pretty ironic the the "official" Penobscot trail is 1.6 miles AND NOT THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN So with that they have said yes you can ride your Mt bike on that trail, but no quads/Motos on there! The ridge trail was an old coal miners path, and never was deemed a Mt bike only trail. If your up on the ridge mt biking expect to see quads/Motos riding there, it is not only mt biking! Don't assume that the entire area is only mt biking.

Supreme Rant:
    I know plenty of responsible quad/Moto guys who ride stuff everywhere just as mt bikers do! Plenty of hunters, hikers and mt bikers also leave beer cans out there on the trails. Mt bikers will go out a cut new trails everywhere without permission. Now what do they expect, when a quad or moto guy goes out to ride, they see the open trail and follow it. They don't know it's a mt bike trail? It doesn't make the quad/Moto guys ignorant, they are just riding around. I have been on quad rides and have heard "Those stupid mt bikers should get the F out of our way they are so F-ing slow, this is a QUAD trail... LOL"

There is plenty of pristine single track in state and county parks where Motos and quads aren't allowed to ride.

Too much CRYING, your tires don't know weather it's a quad/Moto or Mt bike trail

SHUT UP, GET TOGETHER, GET ALONG, AND F-ING JUST RIDE... LOL

BBBRRRRAAPPPPPPPP...

Here's a great T-Shirt from our friends at Hardcore Quad Racing! BUY ONE!
    Yep,that is my point.Mtb people never seem to see the other side.If a hiker sees a mtb guy on a hiking only trail should hikers assume that all the mtb people are bad?I see mtb people posting that they will ride the moon no matter if it is legal or illegal.Now if a moto guy ever said that the mtb people would be jumping up and down and crying.As long as everyone keeps a closed mind and this frame of thinking eventually there wont be any riding of anything any place.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

So,the title would read:

mOTo the mOOn?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    Yep,that is my point.Mtb people never seem to see the other side.If a hiker sees a mtb guy on a hiking only trail should hikers assume that all the mtb people are bad?I see mtb people posting that they will ride the moon no matter if it is legal or illegal.Now if a moto guy ever said that the mtb people would be jumping up and down and crying.As long as everyone keeps a closed mind and this frame of thinking eventually there wont be any riding of anything any place.
    Well if a quad didn't make a mt.bike trail unrideable, nobody would have a problem with it. But they turn them into a muddy mess and make them much wider than they were before.. A mt. bike doesn't make a hiking trail unhikeable, nor does it make it any wider. Plus, are you saying there should be no place to get some peace and quiet in the woods? Whether by foot or by pedal, that's one of the reasons I go in the first place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    iirc it is clearly marked that motorized vehicles aren't allowed in the ridge area now finding someone to enforce that is another thing...
    I have no problem with responsible riders but I've yet to meet one in person

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well if a quad didn't make a mt.bike trail unrideable, nobody would have a problem with it. But they turn them into a muddy mess and make them much wider than they were before.. A mt. bike doesn't make a hiking trail unhikeable, nor does it make it any wider. Plus, are you saying there should be no place to get some peace and quiet in the woods? Whether by foot or by pedal, that's one of the reasons I go in the first place.
    Unrideable?Mtb's widen trails and make mud ruts also.Guess you can't deal with that either.Probably don't like going over logs or rocks or roots.This is mtb riding not road riding.Sounds like you should stick to A road bike.Good luck and ride on.

mtbr member
    Unrideable?Mtb's widen trails and make mud ruts also.Guess you can't deal with that either.Probably don't like going over logs or rocks or roots.This is mtb riding not road riding.Sounds like you should stick to A road bike.Good luck and ride on.
    Yep! 7 Tuibs is quite the road ride I've built and help maintain several miles of mountainbike trails in the area - some even with rocks/roots/and maybe one or two logs on them - what have you done for mountain biking, mxer? Speaking of which, you seem to be pretty anti-mountain bike to be hanging out on a mountain bike forum.

This thread has gone from putting a spotlight on a mountain bike designated area (thanks NEPMTBA) to a pro-moto/anti-mountain bike rant.

Sorry, but I'm here to talk about making trails better and seeing pics of people enjoying them and finding new places to put on my list of trails to visit. For example, I've learned to stay away from Mocanaqua

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

rideriderideriderideriderideriderideriderideriderideriderideride
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 02-08-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

iirc it is clearly marked that motorized vehicles aren't allowed in the ridge area now finding someone to enforce that is another thing...
    I have no problem with responsible riders but I've yet to meet one in person
    Motorcycles, Quads and Crawlers have "ENGINES" The sign is incorrect as it applies to Electric Vehicles that have "MOTORS"

Difference in a motor and an engine:

A motor is converting electric energy into mechanical energy.
    An engine is converting chemical energy into mechanical energy.

So I might actually be riding an Enginecycle
    There's always a smarta88 in the group!

LMAO...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yep! 7 Tuibs is quite the road ride I've built and help maintain several miles of mountainbike trails in the area - some even with rocks/roots/and maybe one or two logs on them - what have you done for mountain biking, mxer? Speaking of which, you seem to be pretty anti-mountain bike to be hanging out on a mountain bike forum.

This thread has gone from putting a spotlight on a mountain bike designated area (thanks NEPMTBA) to a pro-moto/anti-mountain bike rant.

Sorry, but I'm here to talk about making trails better and seeing pics of people enjoying them and finding new places to put on my list of trails to visit. For example, I've learned to stay away from Mocanaqua
    Nope,not anti mtb at all.Have done plenty of trail work and don't feel the need to talk about any trail maintenance that I do or have done as I have nothing to prove.It just seems funny that you claim that there are not mant good moto people.Maybe you should try it and you will see it is totally opposite.The other thing is that you seem to think it is ok for a mtb rider to ride hiking trails because of the lack of noise.Seems you have a double stanndard.I am sure you have never ridden a trail you shouldn't have been on.Anyway I am done with you.Good luck and enjoy your next ride.

mtbr member
    Nope,not anti mtb at all.Have done plenty of trail work and don't feel the need to talk about any trail maintenance that I do or have done as I have nothing to prove.It just seems funny that you claim that there are not mant good moto people.Maybe you should try it and you will see it is totally opposite.The other thing is that you seem to think it is ok for a mtb rider to ride hiking trails because of the lack of noise.Seems you have a double stanndard.I am sure you have never ridden a trail you shouldn't have been on.Anyway I am done with you.Good luck and enjoy your next ride.
    Nope, not done yet!

Do you enjoy mountain biking on singletrack?

And I'm not understanding the double stanard about looking for peace and quiet in the woods......in selected areas where there's supposed to be peace and quiet, anyway..... specifically where mountain bikes are allowed.

Did you ever have ham?
    Figures you are the smart a88 in the group...LOL!!!! Too many people condeming other people as a group! Why don't you try judging people as individuals? I am a moto guy and I just got into mountain biking last spring! I love moto and mt bike...does that make me a bad person? If it does, so be it...because I am a moto guy first and foremost. Like MXER, I have done alot of trail work, I just don't feel the need to brag about it. So either try judging people on their individual merits or don't judge them at all. I will step off my soapbox now!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I hate Pelicans

Did you ever have ham?
    I hate Pelicans

But, how do you feel about pterodactyls? If you look closely at the photo this guy is enjoying a lunch that he stole from some poor fisherman at Frances Slocum!!!

mtbr member
    Motoman, the only people I'm condemning are IRRESPONSIBLE riders. The reason I brought up trail work is that those who do/have done work are more likely to be more responsible, regardless of what they're riding on. I've worked alongside both you and Lee and I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't do what I've seen other moto riders do. Maybe I think you guys are in the minority because responsible riders don't leave any evidence behind.

Did you ever have ham?
    It isn't that responsible riders don't leave any evidence, responsible riders are considerate of others!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

OK:

Since the thread is about riding Mt bikes on the 1.6 mile Penobscot Mt bike trail.

Some info:

It is for non motorized use. Basically a quad trail that was organized to be a Mt bike trail. It is about 6 to 10 feet wide. It runs the length of the valley and not back and forth up and down the side walls of the valley. The previous riding from quads tended to buff or Zambomi(smooth) the surface making it fairly fast, but there are lots of different size loose rocks, and it is a very hard rocky surface with no top soil. It does have elevation gains. Riding it out and back yields a longer ride of course. As you can see by the pics there are very few trees near the trail and basically your riding in a reclaimed field for now till it grows in. There are parking lots at both sides. For a beginner rider it would yield a fairly energetic ride, and the intermediate can enjoy it also. Expert riders will be bored.

Like I said in my first post there are accessory trails that run the sides of the valley, and other loops could be made to increase mileage and difficulty so there is promise for more, but it is not advertised or mapped as such. There are very steep climbs and some that do not lend themselves to Mt bike riding at all due to loose surface and extreme steepness.

In the future it might be expanded and NEPMTBA is working towards that goal with the proper group.

In summation: It's there, It's built, Go try it out sometime!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

erosion and behavior

Here is my take on the whole hiker, mountain bike vs quad discussion. Although most scientific tests are still a bit vague on what cause more damage human footprint, mountain bike tire, motorcycle tire , etc. It boils down to compaction forces , shear forces, contact patch and behavior. The biggest contributor to erosion in my opinion is behavior ( regardless of user) any properly built trail can withstand the forces for any of these individual users. The problem is the quad/motorcycle industry promotes irresponsible behavior. Look at most of their advertising.. Quads, motorcycles speeding through mud holes going over any obstacle, pretty much everywhere. This isn't to say that Mountain bikers don't exhibit bad behavior as well but our industry also doesn't have the marketing exposure to promote any such behavior ( when was the last time you saw a mountain bike commercial on TV ) . If quad riders/motorcycle riders want legal trails they should step up and promote responsible behavior. My opinion is quad riders should have their trails but they should also maintain and self "police" them . (example Rocky Gap in western PA) If they fail to maintain , they lose the right to ride there . Other users, Mountain bikers, Hikers etc. have in a better part exhibited good behavior and have allowed for trail openings ( Francis Slocum, Moon Lake etc.) . All users should exhibit such behavior like not using trails after heavy rain, fixing problem wet areas to prevent widening of trails, and building trails that can withstand use . Many quad riders think that since there vehicle was meant to go everywhere that it should go everywhere, whereas most mountain bikers stay to trails and prefer singletrack.

As for the other contributing forces Quad and Motorcycles will have a greater impact on erosion due to bigger contact patches and shearing forces ( based on speed) . Jeep type vehicles off road users would also exert similar forces , but there size and behavior tends to keep their use confined to limited areas. Tread lightly should be everyones moto.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

We the people ...

bwillsie:

We are friends and as far as I know your not a Moto guy? MTBer Yes?

I can say from a unique point of view as I Moto and MTB and living in the area all my life.

From the Moto stand point on the issue of land use! The BMER club charter since 1962 as an aMA club, that hold a membership in runs races/rides on various properties and we have to restore the land we use which one property is Earth Conservancy. We have a great alliance with them and this gives me a great resume to allow other uses like MTB which I like to promote also. We have permission to ride more private props than their are legal areas to ride MTBs believe it or not, and this was gained through responsible, organized efforts! Our newest prop is close to Moon Lake and 300 acres! Our Moto club spends mega $ to do this and don't have help from anyone like IMBA or AMA, it comes out of members, and club funds which we work very hard to raise during the events we hold during the year. Now from the races guys travel from all over to attend and they are the guys who by gas and goods from the local businesses. We also have our own private practice track on private prop, which we also maintain and invest in projects like a track prop watering system. It is policed by members and no problems occur. So Motos are very responsible! In Pa there are hundreds of Moto clubs who do as we do and much more!

The Moto industry has a much bigger $ then MTB. And in other areas the Motos/MTB work together, that hasn't hit here yet as you can see all the guys on MTBR who don't even know their Mt bike have been derived from Moto technology, yet they dis "all" Motos as bada88es. The Moto industry advertises the mud hole thing as exciting, but you always see the "on a closed course" and "ride responsible" disclaimers in their ads, so they are covering their a88es. We are all trumped by golf and they use all kinds of fertilizers that do there share of damage. It comes down to $ and we all use the earth and do our share of damage to it. MTB guys are in the middle, they are not alligned with hikers, cause the hikers dislike the wheel/speed thing. MTB don't fit with the Moto crowd. Motos, ATVs, Crawlers, Wheelers who all stick together and aligned years ago realizing power comes from their alingment as a group.

MTB's need to stop whining about Motos and everyone else, this only drives away the Motos and hikers from aligning with them. MTBs are the odd man out. And I'm also one of them but trying to bridge gaps with all. It comes back to what our Moms told us "if you have nothing nice to say just say nothing" but I prefer to say hey nice bike as I ride by if encounter a Moto on the trail. That will get you so much respect usually the Moto guy will say "hey your Mt bike is cool" and he is your quickest way out if your in trouble. Kindness works even if you don't know the first thing about a Moto!
    If you yell or flip them off they just might spin around and do more agressive stuff, a MTB is no match for a 300 lb Moto or 500 lb ATV or wrost yet a 5000 wheeler at 35 MPH.

Now, yes there are lots of weekend warriors who follow no rules in all groups and ruin it for all the good guys. Years ago MTB were considered CRAZY by hikers from the DH aspect of flying by scaring hikers and stirring up dust. Fast forward, MTBs are looked as responsible riders, but you and I know they have cut many illegal trails everywhere. This is my statement about the Penobscot 1.6 mile MTB trail. As it stands that 1.6 miles is the legal area to ride your MTB and I did so when I rode there. Like I said in the future my plans are in process to work with Earth Conservancy for more MTB area, but if they see all new trails cut and efryone riding the whole place could be shut down! Yes I know the aTV/Motos are all over theplace and EC has taken steps to stop this in the past and will do in the future. If you have ever read one of their sigs it says "Co-operation works"

MOTOS ARE VERY RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE

Did you ever have ham?

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride

Very well said! I would just like to add that cooperation is the way to go! My background is in moto, but I really enjoy hiking and mt biking, too. If I am on my moto and I see someone using the trail I will get off the gas and give them as much room as I possibly can. If it is someone on horseback or walking a dog, I shut the bike down! I have ripped into a few of my old friends for not showing this type of consideration! We all need to learn to at least peacefully co-exist! It is for the mutual benefit of all involved to do so!

wounded knee
    I'm sure most people who ride MTB, Moto, Quads, hikers ect...,rode on a Bicycle when they were a kid, so just about everyone started out riding a bicycle.

Back when we were kids there were no quads around, so next you graduated to a mini bike, then your first real dirt bike, if you were lucky (as I was) you hooked up with a bunch of friends that rode and had a good time doing it.

As you get older and faster, you also become more responsible in how you ride, and where you ride, as Motoman said if I seen a hiker or person walking adog, I would pull over shut off till they went by, were running out of places to ride every time you turn around.

As far as impact on the enviroment, in regards to Moto I would say a Trials bike has the least impact, you can hike by a trials section and never ever even realize there was ever a bike in there. A MTB seems to have very little impact also.

It all comes down to who is twisting the throttle, or peddling the peddles, most are responsibe, some are not, but the one's that are not, make everyone look bad as a whole.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock