Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! 1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride

The Penobscot Ridge Trail is only 1.6 miles in length, but there are accessory trails in this wide open valley of reclaimed land that lend themselves to much more riding and some with huge climbs, that a Moto would have a tough time getting to the top.

More pics here:
    http://nepmtba.piczo.com/rides2010pa...linkvar=000044
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0810.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0813.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0815.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0820.jpg  

1/31/10 Penobscot Ridge Ride-imag0821.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Must have felt warm today compared to yesterday

mtbr member

Wanime to Lily Lake to Mocanaqua?

We rode there a couple of years ago.....always wondered if you could string together a route that starts at Penobscot Trail in Newport Township(Wanamie) that went over to Lily Lake and then to Mocanaqua and back to Penobscot Trail? Might be a "epic" ride for the near future. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    We rode there a couple of years ago.....always wondered if you could string together a route that starts at Penobscot Trail in Newport Township(Wanamie) that went over to Lily Lake and then to Mocanaqua and back to Penobscot Trail? Might be a "epic" ride for the near future. Ride On!
    Yes!

wounded knee
    Sunday felt warm outside compared to Saturday!

I'm looking forward to next Saturday's ride
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    I really like that place. Alot of potential there, especially on the other side of that ridge....

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by krazcustoms
    I really like that place. Alot of potential there, especially on the other side of that ridge....
    Yes, and it was research for our upcoming Cheese Steak Buffet later this year!

Did you ever have ham?
    I am going back to get that quad frame. Not sure if I am going to sell it to the metal recycler or make an electric quad! Any thoughts?
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thats my backyard and the area I ride most...there are a lot of options out there. I usually connect Penobscot to Mocanaqua then back.

And here is a fun fact..Earth Conservancy claims to have spent $55,000 to make the 1.6mile trail

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Nithius
    Thats my backyard and the area I ride most...there are a lot of options out there. I usually connect Penobscot to Mocanaqua then back.

And here is a fun fact..Earth Conservancy claims to have spent $55,000 to make the 1.6mile trail
    How many miles of trail do you think we could make with that kind of money!
    They just use existing Motorcycle or Quad trails, or even just old Yuke roads, most of the money is spent on putting a sign at the trail heads!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    I am going back to get that quad frame. Not sure if I am going to sell it to the metal recycler or make an electric quad! Any thoughts?
    Put [SIZE="4"]REALLY BIG [/SIZE]tires on it, fabricate a GRAVE DIGGER body, make a mini Monster truck out of it!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    SMASH IT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    How many miles of trail do you think we could make with that kind of money!
    They just use existing Motorcycle or Quad trails, or even just old Yuke roads, most of the money is spent on putting a sign at the trail heads!
    Not to mention the parking lots (2), picinic tables (2), and grilles (2)

I don't understand why more people aren't using this area - the singletrack potential on the other side of that ridge is huge.

"So why don't you go ahead and build stuff there, Kraz?"

It's on the list - one new trail in the MtTop area and a couple of trail 're-openings' to do first and if nobody else is doing anything over there by then, I most definitely will.

Heck (sorry for the strong language) it's ALREADY DESIGNATED as a mountain bike area!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kraz:

I'm cracking up!

Are you talking to yourself out loud again?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey Kraz I plan on adding some singletrack to the area this year. Alot of potential as long as I can keep it out of the quad riders line of sight. Anyone who isn't familiar with the area and wants to ride it hit me up..I know all the good stuff out there but you gotta bring your climbing legs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nithius
    Hey Kraz I plan on adding some singletrack to the area this year. Alot of potential as long as I can keep it out of the quad riders line of sight. Anyone who isn't familiar with the area and wants to ride it hit me up..I know all the good stuff out there but you gotta bring your climbing legs
    I know what you mean about the ignorant quad riders. I love the 'trail' on the backside of the ridge and even drained alot of the mud puddles/wet areas but the quads keep blocking up the drainage ditches by constantly riding through them. Plus, whenever a tree fell down, they would just bulldoze around it instead of getting off of their lazy asses and moving it out of the way. That ravine I'm talking about is always cool in the summer and it's neat they way you cross the creek 3 or 4 times but it's too muddy to keep after.

Here's where I was thinking about starting something - when you bike out of the southern parking lot (by the baseball fields) and head left up the shorter steep climb and continue on that same trail (towards the other parking lot) until it makes a gradual uphill right turn towards where they breached the dam a few years ago (technically the trail signs tell you to go straight there, to the other parking lot) so you are now on the other side of Penobscot Ridge. Right before the first creek crossing, if you make a 170degree right turn you'll see a nice group of ledges that would lend themselves to sweet singletrack. I've done a little exploring up there, and there are plenty of cool features to take advantage of. I didn't go all the way across, though, but I'm sure something could be made to spit you out around the same area as the other existing quad trail. I've also explored the abandoned quad trail that goes over the spine of the ridge, but the dirt there was extremely wet and about the consistency of pudding - and this was all from water seeping out of the ground, not from rain.

I have yet to do anything on the Mocanaqua side, but am anxious to see it. Maybe one of these times we can get a group ride together. And if you get to building any singletrack, let me know and I'm sure I can round up at least a few people to help with it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Kraz:

That's pretty funny since "EVERY TRAIL THERE" has been made by quads or Motos! Some ignorant, some not... LOL

I think you know what I'm talking about!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Kraz:

That's pretty funny since "EVERY TRAIL THERE" has been made by quads or Motos! Some ignorant, some not... LOL

I think you know what I'm talking about!
    Yeah, but on the back side of the ridge, where the creek is, there are sections of trail 10 to 15 feet wide where they were only 4-5 feet wide just a few years ago. It just irritates me that they think nothing of going around something that's fairly easy to fix yet I'm the one hauling a pick and shovel out there on a bicycle. Plus, I bet all those beer cans out there didn't fall off of a mountain bike!!

I know that there are responsible quad/moto riders out there (well, one at least LOL) but the things I see in the woods makes me think that you are in the minority.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kraz:

The entire Penobscot trail was built by Motos and Quads and then the EC says "Here's a Mt Bike trail" They didn't "BUILD" anything! They did the parking lots the signs and the grills. Not complaining though as they could os said here's a bird watching trail and no mt bikes allowed. But single track would of been more to the liking of mt bikers rather than a wide open eroded quad trail. I always said it's the mt bikers that taught the state and other organizations on what single track is. The state had no idea and used to build roads like it said in the manual, 30 feet wide, crowned, and benched for water runoff...LOL

1/2 Million dollars, 6 months to build a mile of rail trail and I by myself with a blower, chain saw, brush knife, and bit of fuel could build a mile of single track in a day for 10 bucks! Or free if I go "green", but would take 2 days...LOL

Yes, and I go back further when that whole valley had an old railbed running through it before the reclaim, and the ridge trail was only singletrack! It was an amazing trail and I rode my Mt bike and Trials Moto there and I had to wiggle through the trees! The Trials Moto is very low impact and doesn't spin the rear tire like an mxer, but anyway! Sad, but true quads don't have to build they just ride over, around, or through stuff! But on the other hand quads have opened, or kept open other areas that were trailess, is that a word? trailess? or grown in. Kinda metza, metza. What did Yogi Berra say "Ya gets what ya gets"

Mt bikers are the only beavers in the system... LOL, we like to build then ride and repair what we ride. On the other hand every ride I have done in the past month I have picked up aluminum cans and the next time I go to the same place there are more than before! Depressing...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by krazcustoms
    Yeah, but on the back side of the ridge, where the creek is, there are sections of trail 10 to 15 feet wide where they were only 4-5 feet wide just a few years ago. It just irritates me that they think nothing of going around something that's fairly easy to fix yet I'm the one hauling a pick and shovel out there on a bicycle. Plus, I bet all those beer cans out there didn't fall off of a mountain bike!!

I know that there are responsible quad/moto riders out there (well, one at least LOL) but the things I see in the woods makes me think that you are in the minority.
    So what you are saying is that mtb riders that ride on hiking only trails etc. are the majority and the ones that ride on mtb marked trails are in the minority?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

We the people ...

mxer:

Rant:
    Minority? Majority? The ruling factor is "POWER" The hikers used to say: "Those Mt bikers are out of control get them off the trails" Now the Mt bikers say: "Those quads are ignorant they widen everything" Don't worry soon that ridge trail will be as wide as ROAD when the Rock Crawlers get to it. The Mt bikers can say those Rock Crawlers are ignorant also... LOL Then it will become a Walmart or housing developmant... LMAO

Walmarts, Housing Developments, Hikers, Quads, Motos and Off Roaders have been around way longer than Mt bikers!:

Kraz: Your thinking of going to Mocanaqua? Better buy a roll cage for your MTB. The engine equipped groups fly around at high speed through there and they aren't ignorant. THET JUST DON"T CARE! I have seen brandie new quads fresh off the show room floor totally destroyed cause the guys buddies said "Com'on Jim you can make that hill your riding a Raptor" Six grand down the drain is 30 seconds!

Better Rant:
    I think it's pretty ironic the the "official" Penobscot trail is 1.6 miles AND NOT THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN So with that they have said yes you can ride your Mt bike on that trail, but no quads/Motos on there! The ridge trail was an old coal miners path, and never was deemed a Mt bike only trail. If your up on the ridge mt biking expect to see quads/Motos riding there, it is not only mt biking! Don't assume that the entire area is only mt biking.

Supreme Rant:
    I know plenty of responsible quad/Moto guys who ride stuff everywhere just as mt bikers do! Plenty of hunters, hikers and mt bikers also leave beer cans out there on the trails. Mt bikers will go out a cut new trails everywhere without permission. Now what do they expect, when a quad or moto guy goes out to ride, they see the open trail and follow it. They don't know it's a mt bike trail? It doesn't make the quad/Moto guys ignorant, they are just riding around. I have been on quad rides and have heard "Those stupid mt bikers should get the F out of our way they are so F-ing slow, this is a QUAD trail... LOL"

There is plenty of pristine single track in state and county parks where Motos and quads aren't allowed to ride.

Too much CRYING, your tires don't know weather it's a quad/Moto or Mt bike trail

SHUT UP, GET TOGETHER, GET ALONG, AND F-ING JUST RIDE... LOL

BBBRRRRAAPPPPPPPP...

Here's a great T-Shirt from our friends at Hardcore Quad Racing! BUY ONE!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    mxer:

Rant:
    Minority? Majority? The ruling factor is "POWER" The hikers used to say: "Those Mt bikers are out of control get them off the trails" Now the Mt bikers say: "Those quads are ignorant they widen everything" Don't worry soon that ridge trail will be as wide as ROAD when the Rock Crawlers get to it. The Mt bikers can say those Rock Crawlers are ignorant also... LOL Then it will become a Walmart or housing developmant... LMAO

Walmarts, Housing Developments, Hikers, Quads, Motos and Off Roaders have been around way longer than Mt bikers!:

Kraz: Your thinking of going to Mocanaqua? Better buy a roll cage for your MTB. The engine equipped groups fly around at high speed through there and they aren't ignorant. THET JUST DON"T CARE! I have seen brandie new quads fresh off the show room floor totally destroyed cause the guys buddies said "Com'on Jim you can make that hill your riding a Raptor" Six grand down the drain is 30 seconds!

Better Rant:
    I think it's pretty ironic the the "official" Penobscot trail is 1.6 miles AND NOT THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN So with that they have said yes you can ride your Mt bike on that trail, but no quads/Motos on there! The ridge trail was an old coal miners path, and never was deemed a Mt bike only trail. If your up on the ridge mt biking expect to see quads/Motos riding there, it is not only mt biking! Don't assume that the entire area is only mt biking.

Supreme Rant:
    I know plenty of responsible quad/Moto guys who ride stuff everywhere just as mt bikers do! Plenty of hunters, hikers and mt bikers also leave beer cans out there on the trails. Mt bikers will go out a cut new trails everywhere without permission. Now what do they expect, when a quad or moto guy goes out to ride, they see the open trail and follow it. They don't know it's a mt bike trail? It doesn't make the quad/Moto guys ignorant, they are just riding around. I have been on quad rides and have heard "Those stupid mt bikers should get the F out of our way they are so F-ing slow, this is a QUAD trail... LOL"

There is plenty of pristine single track in state and county parks where Motos and quads aren't allowed to ride.

Too much CRYING, your tires don't know weather it's a quad/Moto or Mt bike trail

SHUT UP, GET TOGETHER, GET ALONG, AND F-ING JUST RIDE... LOL

BBBRRRRAAPPPPPPPP...

Here's a great T-Shirt from our friends at Hardcore Quad Racing! BUY ONE!
    Yep,that is my point.Mtb people never seem to see the other side.If a hiker sees a mtb guy on a hiking only trail should hikers assume that all the mtb people are bad?I see mtb people posting that they will ride the moon no matter if it is legal or illegal.Now if a moto guy ever said that the mtb people would be jumping up and down and crying.As long as everyone keeps a closed mind and this frame of thinking eventually there wont be any riding of anything any place.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

So,the title would read:

[SIZE=6] mOTo the mOOn?

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    Yep,that is my point.Mtb people never seem to see the other side.If a hiker sees a mtb guy on a hiking only trail should hikers assume that all the mtb people are bad?I see mtb people posting that they will ride the moon no matter if it is legal or illegal.Now if a moto guy ever said that the mtb people would be jumping up and down and crying.As long as everyone keeps a closed mind and this frame of thinking eventually there wont be any riding of anything any place.
    Well if a quad didn't make a mt.bike trail unrideable, nobody would have a problem with it. But they turn them into a muddy mess and make them much wider than they were before.. A mt. bike doesn't make a hiking trail unhikeable, nor does it make it any wider. Plus, are you saying there should be no place to get some peace and quiet in the woods? Whether by foot or by pedal, that's one of the reasons I go in the first place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    iirc it is clearly marked that motorized vehicles aren't allowed in the ridge area now finding someone to enforce that is another thing...
    I have no problem with responsible riders but I've yet to meet one in person

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast