Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gravity's Gone

1-30-10 & 1-31-10

What's everybody up for this weekend? I'm game for anything so let me know. They say it's gonna be bone chilling cold both days.

Nank

Roaring Creek? Mt Top? Wouldn't mind a Snappers ride if anyone from Mt Top is planning to do it.

Chilling out
    I can bring the anti-freeze. I'll ride pretty much anywhere, but since I'm on the Niner until further notice nothing with drops (larger than last week's...) is in my future. I really don't want to failure-test my fork. Currently I'm open both days, hopefully not subject to change. Once day of Serious Riding (e.g. 20+ miles) would be fabulous in my book.

Gravity's Gone
    What is Snappers?

It's a legendary ride in Mt Top that I've been hearing about for 10 years, but never ridden. I think you may need to learn the Mt Top secret handshake to ride it. Jeffskismontana will have to enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by nankerphelge
    What is Snappers?

Chilling out
    I've ridden Snappers a few times, if Jeff can't make it maybe my GPS and memory can lead us the merry ride.

Saturday is best for me, now, when do people want to start?

We could meet in the parking lot of the Rite Aid at the intersection of Kirby and 309, and then roll caravan to the parking area.

map linky

Gravity's Gone
    Earlier would be better for me probably. Let me see if anybody else from down here is gonna check in.

Mt Top Sat morning is fine for me

Earlier would be better for me probably. Let me see if anybody else from down here is gonna check in.

Gravity's Gone
    Just found out I gotta work a half day so I'm out. Hopefully I'll get done in time for a quick spin somewhere local. You guys have fun.

Bear, you want to meet at 8?
    Nank, roaring creek Sunday?

Chilling out
    I'll meet any time after 7am, 8 is fine. Plan on it being "chilly."

We could also do the MTop ride Sun if Nanker would like to participate, I can change my schedule thus. Up to you guys though as you're the ones who are travelling.

I just need to know by sometime this early-evening so I can plan accordingly with the Mrs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm always looking for people to ride with. Were are these located. I'm new top PA

Chilling out
    I live in Kingston , JeffSkisMontana is in Mountain Top, Nanker and Jonz are in Danville vicinity.

For the ride I'm talking about the trails start near the hookup location I posted, but I can't be more specific here. Hook up for a ride and find out more.

mtbr member
    I also live in mountain top but I'm a mtb'ing noob. I've been riding road for the past 3 years and recently got a mountain bike. I would love to ride with you guys but wouldn't want to slow you down.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

Chilling out
    Jay, as far as I am concerned you are welcome to come - when I want to do a hammerfest-ride I will be explicit about that.

In tomorrow's case you just need to understand that the intended ride is on the order of 12 to 15 miles long, mixed double and single-track. There will be stops and photos I am sure - not every other mile but enough. I have no time limit.

I am interested to hear from Jonz and Nanker, if it would work better Sun.

Would moving the ride to Sun AM affect anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Jay, as far as I am concerned you are welcome to come - when I want to do a hammerfest-ride I will be explicit about that.

In tomorrow's case you just need to understand that the intended ride is on the order of 12 to 15 miles long, mixed double and single-track. There will be stops and photos I am sure - not every other mile but enough. I have no time limit.

I am interested to hear from Jonz and Nanker, if it would work better Sun.

Would moving the ride to Sun AM affect anybody else?
    Both days work equally well for me, just waiting to hear what's up with Nanker. Jay, feel free to join us.

Gravity's Gone
    I'm in for tomorrrow - work cancelled. Looking forward to it. Jonzy, I'm gonna PM you about travel arrangements. Jay, you should join us.

Chilling out
    okey dokey, see everyone @ 8am at the appointed MT location. I'm going to start shivering now to get it out of the way.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Might be interested in a Sunday Ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm not able to do a 2 and a half hour drive for a ride this weekend, but would be game in the future. I'm down near Gettysburg, if you guys ever wanna hit up some of the areas down here as well.

Gravity's Gone

Sunday.............

..............I'm doing Geisinger at 10:00 am with the usual suspects.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadams13
    I'm not able to do a 2 and a half hour drive for a ride this weekend, but would be game in the future. I'm down near Gettysburg, if you guys ever wanna hit up some of the areas down here as well.
    jm, i may take you up on that later on in feb, my good cyclist.

Gravity's Gone
    jmadams you're an hour forty five from Rattling Creek. Could be a cool place for a bunch of us to meet up some weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bear, just let me know, some nice trails close to me, and even better a hour or so into MD towards fredrick or Howard county.

Nanker, more like 2 with traffic, but yeah, been planning on a trip there for early spring. Been a while since I've ridden there. I'm originally from Carroll County, so it was a hike, but much more.

Chilling out
    I think the thing that scares me in this conversation is that I'm also originally from Carroll County, left in '83, but my Mom still lives in the same house ( near the intersection of Rt 32 and Klees Mill Rd ).

But yeah, definitely come down that way sometime(s) this year. I keep hear/reading about stuff down that way so must try it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know that area. My parents still live in Silver Run, on rt97 about 3 miles from the state line. I didn't go very far north in 2001, just to new oxford, then to McSherrystown now. did you ride back then? Some good ridding in Patapsico not far from your moms

Chilling out
    I've been riding bikes on dirt since '72, they just didn't have MTB's for a while.

One of my mom's favorite anecdotes about me was when I got my first bike, 30 minutes after we got it home I had taken off the training wheels and she watched my huck off a 3' drop and peddle over to the neighbor's.

Twas the start of many broken bikes. Yup.

Chilling out

good grief i'm beat

i don't know if the was the ending hike or just the combined overall effect of snow, ice, 7F start temp, 11F high temp, -? wind-chill, the frozen fu-manchu beard, 15 miles of riding, 3 miles of walking (okay, maybe only 2), no Scotch consumed, or what, but I'm beat.

If you look closely, you can see the snow blowing in the wind over the lake. It was FREAKING COLD there. We did not loiter long.

Jonz just cruised RIGHT UP these rock steps, really frustrating. I need to put some quick-crete in that boy's frame or something.

Once we headed into the woods it got really interesting. For the most part the trail tread was easy to spot and gave us surprisingly good traction. There were locations with frozen pools of ice that were pretty sketchy, but mostly the slight snow cover acted like sand giving us good traction on the big plate ice.

Of course, with the various precip, thaw, precip, cycles there was much water flowing, with various frozen bits. It made for a couple interesting moments working on how to cross high-flow creeks and keep our digits dry.

Nearly at the end of the ride, sadly, Nanker caught a branch and it destroyed his rear-d - tearing it off at the knuckle - saving the hanger. Bummer. Luckily it was close to the end, and while it was frustrating it was easy to get out of the woods safely and eventually get a ride back to the start point.

Props to everyone that came out, thanks guys, I needed that.

mtbr member

Here's something

You guys should try when it's this cold...SKI HA
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Wow, what a great ride today; that was a cold! Bear, thanks for the heat packs, I don't think any of us would have lasted without them.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad
    You guys should try when it's this cold...SKI HA
    The only problem with that, is that I'd have to drive hours and hours SOUTH to get enough snow!

Sheesh.

[ but yeah, that's on my list for this winter too ]

Did you ever have ham?

Heat Packs

Quote Originally Posted by jonz187
    Wow, what a great ride today; that was a cold! Bear, thanks for the heat packs, I don't think any of us would have lasted without them.
    Bear, what kind of heat packs did you have? I went to Wally World and got these little heat packs that are supposed to heat to between 126 and 144F. I was happy because I thought of how toasty my fat, little toes would be, but they were barely getting warm!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Gravity's Gone

Brrrrrrrrrr

Well allow me to chime in:

I'm exhausted

I'm sore

I've eaten everything that's not nailed down

For the second time in as many weeks Bear introduced me to someone with the same first name as me

My camera was on Jonzy's roof when we pulled out (discovered a half mile down the road still on the roof unscathed)

The wife is highly pissed

My bike is broken

Mission accomplished!!!

Geisinger 10 am tomorrow. I'll be riding Black Betty.

1-30-10 & 1-31-10-2e4fd.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-2iy.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-9.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-45ert.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-67itgyh.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-97tygk.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2341.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2349.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2353.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2357.jpg

Gravity's Gone
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2366.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2376.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2387.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2393.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2778.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-100_2784.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-5674.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-cedqw.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-ewklir.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-ewrk.jpg

Gravity's Gone
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-fw.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-ieg2wqk.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-iygj.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-jgf.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-jkug.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-kiljygh.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-kyft.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-lier.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-mkjhgtfr.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-qe.jpg

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Bear, what kind of heat packs did you have? I went to Wally World and got these little heat packs that are supposed to heat to between 126 and 144F. I was happy because I thought of how toasty my fat, little toes would be, but they were barely getting warm!
    probably the same, I think that's where I got mine. They definitely wanted 15-30 minutes with a fair amount of air-flow before they got warm. I noticed that they were much warmer after I had my gloves off for pee-stops, scrunching them also seemed to help.

Nanker dipped a foot in the creek and stated that it didn't get cold, i'm attributing it to him making foot-warmer-tea with the water.

Gravity's Gone
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-riwl.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-riyg.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-rjw.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-sdah.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-sqwh.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-tfyr.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-uft.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-uw.jpg
    1-30-10 & 1-31-10-wrg.jpg

Funniest part of today was that we spent probably about 45 minutes trying to negotiate the 2 creek crossings - and it was still REALLY sketchy.

Did you ever have ham?

1-30-10 & 1-31-10

Congratulations on accomplishing your mission, Nanker. I am glad to hear that your camera is ok, I love seeing all your great pics! Sorry to hear about the bike, I am having the same problem...usually with rear spokes. Maybe I should just have Chip Foose design a solid, billet aluminum rear wheel....LOL!

Did you ever have ham?
    Sounds like the same ones, they said on the pack that they would take 15-30 minutes to get hot. Now that I am home, they are really warm!

Foot-Warmer-Tea....ewwwwwwwwwwww!

Chilling out
    It was a sick amount of time to negotiate creek crossings, to be sure.

I think the fact that after dipping my rear derailluer in the creek and having the pulley wheels freeze, my solution to pour hot coffee on them to unfreeze them is pretty good too.

Sad use of Barrett's Mountain Blend ( courtesy of Hammerhead Bicycles ), lovely coffee, lovely bike shop.

Nanker: Great times; and you got some fabulous photos today.

Did you ever have ham?
    I think the fact that after dipping my rear derailluer in the creek and having the pulley wheels freeze, my solution to pour hot coffee on them to unfreeze them is pretty good too.

I think at that point even using the old jellyfish sting remedy(which I now know doesn't work)would be a good idea...whatever works!

mtbr member
    Looks like one hell of a ride. Nice job guys. I really wanted to go today but when I woke to 10 degree temps I rolled back over. Yes I'm a wimp. I usually have skis on my feet when it is that cold. Maybe next time.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

Gravity's Gone
    Hey here's that clip I was telling you guys about today. Funny stuff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsHMnjIk-o8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsHMnjIk-o8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    I think at that point even using the old jellyfish sting remedy(which I now know doesn't work)would be a good idea...whatever works!
    Sadly that wasn't an option, we'd just gotten rolling from a nature break.

Plus, it's easier to get into the camelbak than other directions. :P

mtbr member

Siberia....

..........seriously hard core day......the wife and I went to Wegmann's food and beer pairing and when we got home your vehicles were still there!!!! That was quite awhile after your 8:30am start....man you guys were out in the cold for a long time today....Left to go to the shooting range and visit OneGuyBrewing at 2PM and you had not made it back.....really glad to hear no one was hurt(slowdave called & got Bears text). With all the rain we had last week I can only imagine what the crossing on Snapper 3 was like....your pics give me an idea but it must have been tough crossing. Also looks like some of Snapper 1 was running water! The other tough crossing must have been below Fountain Lake.....not alot of good options when the water is high at either of the spots mentioned.

"i'm attributing it to him making foot-warmer-tea with the water" cracked me up with that line....Nank got nuclear reactions going on in those shoes???

As usual...thanks for posting the photos and story....what a great adventure!
    Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 01-30-2010 at 06:13 PM.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Gives me PEACE of mine
    Thanks for sharing the clip again nanker, I LMAO everytime. Pics are great, looked like fun from my warm seat her at home.

Gravity's Gone

A Few More

1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2342.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2348.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2355.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2371.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2372.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2762.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100b2392.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100b2512.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100b2741.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100b2820.jpg

trail addict
    Hey here's that clip I was telling you guys about today. Funny stuff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsHMnjIk-o8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsHMnjIk-o8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    "Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain."

Good stuff.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Gravity's Gone

Last Day of January

Hit Geisinger with my brother this morning. Compared to yesterday it was a tropical 27 degrees. As mentioned previously I'll be on Black Betty for awhile until I get Blue Bomber repaired.
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2840.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2841.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2842.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2845.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2846.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2850.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2851.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2852.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2853.jpg
    1-30-10 &amp; 1-31-10-100_2854.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast