calculated risk taker

The zen of MT biking

What a long, cold winter. Several personal events over the past 6 months really took a toll on my mind and body. I found it difficult to just get through each day. My work suffered, my kids were feeling the stress, and my wife was still trying to over come the after effects of major surgery. The weather finally turned here in PA and the weekly ride at French Creek with coworkers started up.

I've only been on 5 rides so far this year, but the effects of those rides is incredible. My energy level has gone way up but more importantly the positive mental attitude has returned. On the day of our ride my cowokers and I feel like kids on the last day of school before summer break. We picked up a few new riders this year. Some long time riders and one who had a bike but never caught the bug. Looks like we'll have a good group this year.

I also had a 6th ride this year of only 2.5 miles, but it was the best ride so far. The riding buddy for this ride was my 7 year old son on his Gary Fisher. It was slightly cold and muddy and I could sense some nervousness in Jeremy. We parked at Hopewell Lake and road past the turn off for the cabins. We took the green trail along Scotts Run back to Scotts Run Lake. Being 7 means that he rode straight through the mud puddles getting stuck in several and sinking up to his ankles in the mud. From the lake we rode a short section back to the cabins and stopped for a snack break. We turned around and took the same route back. I had a smile from ear to ear when Jeremy stood up out of the saddle to muscle up a short climb. He was a little disappointed when I said that we were heading back to the car, but that changed when we hit Sheetz for some food. He's been asking when the next ride will be. Saturday is looking good.

Not only has this spring proven once again how biking is therapeutic to mind and body, but it looks like I'm on my way to passing it on to my son as well.

Dorkimus Prime
    Very nice, that's why I do it...

Currently in Exile

Good rides=Good riders

I feel the effects of going too long off the bike during the long winters here in ND too. I miss living in an area with year round riding. Riding helps to clear my mind and put things into perspective. If I go too long without riding, I will get grumpy. It's almost like I were an addict going through withdrawals.

I too have gotten my oldest to ride with me. The rides are short, but Very enjoyable. Let them have fun, go at their pace, encourage, and let them let you know when they are ready to quit. If only I could get a few of my co-workers to join me on the bike sometime.

Keep spreading the Passion!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea