Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    I don't crash very often but in the last year I've had 2-3 doozies where I boinked pretty good, had xrays, mri's but dodged surgery or broken bones. It's been VERY cold in New England the last few weeks so trails are hard and fast. Riding is great in my area because there is hardly any snow either. Yesterday I was pounding through a technical up and down section at maybe 10mph max and somehow clipped a log with edge of front wheel just enough to instantly throw me OTB. Of course this was right at the top of a fairly steep little downhill to ensure I gained lots of extra hang time before my 220lbs cratered hard and I bounced off the frozen tundra.

Shoulder took most of the impact and right away I knew something was damaged. Pain was not terrible but after getting up and surveying my condition I couldn't lift my arm above my chest. Took a few minutes to shake it off and was able to grind out the last 2-3 miles uphill to truck. Really hurt when pulling up on bars to get over routine obstacles (logs/rockwalls).

Have not been to doc yet but my research has convinced me it's a separated shoulder. After taking a look in mirror I now have the little telltale bump toward the end of collar bone at top of shoulder. Will get it checked out in a few days but I think I'm on the DL for a bit.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Sheesh! Sorry to hear about that! I hope it's a quick recovery for you!

Kick Start My Heart
    Just dicking around with one of my recently acquired old skools, (1995 Y22)- (first problem), at night, (second), on some rollers, (made of concrete- third strike), and dumped it hard, slid across the ground a while. Rode home, noticed my hand freezing, when I got home, dripping all over. Abraded 5/10 fingers, rubbed the tip of my middle finger off, but for a flap which died and fell off. My arm swelled major. I just couldn't take good enough pictures.
    My wife was not amused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Hands off the bar after a jump and a knee to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Got sick of the hike-a-bike through the un-rideable rock garden. Got on before I should have...especially at night.......ENDO was the result!

Name:  cut 2.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  52.6 KB

mtbr member
    Taking it easy down a slippery rocky trail, got a little off-line and went over sideways, guess my ankle must have bounced off rock as I've cracked the end of my fibula.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-leg.jpg

Absolutely gutted, I've been riding cautiously for months as I'm supposed to be heading off for a riding holiday to Nelson (NZ, not BC) on the 28th, now I'll be on the couch instead.

Second time my in recent years wife has had to come pick me up from the local trails and take me to the ER. We just put my bike in the garage dirty last night, this afternoon after she finished work she set me up in a chair in the garage with a coffee and washed it for me! So good having a spouse who is supportive of this silly hobby...

Your most recent crash: How was it?-hannah.jpg

Spherical Earther
    I don't think my wife would have washed my bike, but she sure as hell wouldn't have let me "supervise".
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    No crash just pedal kisses

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ouch...I'll stick with clip-on's thankyou...
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    No crash just pedal kisses

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    Geez, and I thought I was bad! That's some serious smoochin'.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

always licking the glass
    Tried to clear a jump with a stiffer spring in the rear. The bad part is I didnít set the sag right (forgot to open all the adjustment knobs), and the rebound was too fast. Got bucked, thought I saved it by doing the top tube boogie but ended up OTB.

Firearms took a bit after the leatte and the full face but for some reason my thigh didnít like getting so close to the handlebar.

The digger I took end of November hurt much worse than this. Everything in my shoulder hurt after landing on it. Fortunately, it was a sprain/strain and nothing else.
    Your most recent crash: How was it?-img_6961.jpg
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    Tuesday night, I was bombing down one of my favorite trails.

Several likely contributing factors (to the pending crash)...

There were at least 7-8 rocks lying on the trail. Noticed on the climb up, note to self - stop & move them next time.

Main light has faded slightly & I haven't been happy with it's performance. It is 3 seasons old, but - as it wasn't cheap... I expected it to perform for a bit longer.

Wasn't in a good mood i.e. better half was late home & forgot that I was riding. Headed out in a bit of a grump.

Anyway back to the trail, so I'm bombing away. Occasionally waiting for my riding buds to bring up the rear.

At one point, they took a good few minutes to catch up & I was thinking... 'Crap! Somebody's come a cropper.' They eventually rolled up & one of my buds had both of his lights go out on him

The omens weren't good...

Any how, I'm bombing away. Not overly stoked (being still a little grumpy, that I was forgotten about). I was hitting all my usual lines, avoiding the areas that could catch you out.

Did I point out, this is one of my favourite trails? Despite it being tight, narrow & twisty - I love it!

You have to be solely focused on the way down. You're at one with your steed & the dirt beneath your rubber.

I've also never wrecked on this trail o_0

2/3's of the way down... I'm on a short straight away w/ nothing too dicey. All of a sudden, the left end of my handle bar is pinging off a tree, I over correct & find my self flying sideways towards a medium sized tree on the right side of the trail! =(

I see the tree coming & brace for impact. THWAKK!!

I'm lying on my back, left foot still clipped in & bike on top of me - w/ rubber facing the heavens. The stuffing has been knocked out of me & it takes several seconds to get my breath back.

I'm lying there, writhing in moderate pain for a good 20-30 seconds before my riding buds roll up & ask the obligatory 'Are you ok?' One mate drags bike off me. I stand up & limp around, trying to fathom what just happened.

Did my front tire hit a rock? (That I should've moved during the climb?) I did seem to clip that tree on the left, a tree that's never been an issue in the past, out of the blue.

Should've I taken my second back up light on the ride, as I had contemplated doing an hour before heading out?

Should I have shaken myself out of my grumpy state & just been happy to be out w/ my bro's shredding?

Was I just due for a yard sale?

I do have another 1200 lumen (more likely 800-900 lumen) light & 4400 mah battery, winging it's way over the water. Should be here in a couple of weeks. NB, ordered well before crash.

I'll be stopping and removing future landmines aka rocks on the trails (dam walkers!!)

Smile & be happy in the future to be out shredding.

The damage? I think I got off bloody lucky actually.

I've got several contusions on the right side of my body, forearm, shoulder, torso, hip - all that impacted tree on right side of trail... and likely spread out the impact force.

My left hip got wrenched, twisted i.e. left foot somehow remained clipped in during the wreck. It's the sorest part of my body right now.

I failed to mention, I was testing out a new pair of spd shoes. I had to get the slots underneath lengthened by 6-7mm, to get the cleat far enough back to be comfortable. Plus, the shoes are bloody narrow & long. Probably keep them for XC type events only.

Spend the next few days healing up & then work on getting my mojo back.

'Born to ride!'
    Last edited by targnik; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:57 PM.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Mudhorse
    My last crash was both hilarious and disgusting, thank-you for asking. It was the last ride of the season on Winter Bike and I went to ride up an earth bank to skirt round a deep puddle the size of a small pond on a rough farm track, just like I've done hundreds of times before. Unlike on previous occasions, however, I didn't manage to avoid the broken oak branch that sticks out just a little too far, and this caught my left arm and pitched me full Superman down the bank and face first into the filthy mire.

Here's a picture of the pond/puddle (pondle?) from a previous, more successful outing:

Your most recent crash: How was it?-farm-track-pond.jpg

Here's a picture taken after I dragged myself out of the mire coughing and spluttering:

Your most recent crash: How was it?-20180505_140254-farm-track-pond-dive-small-.jpg

This was ten minutes into a six hour ride, so not the best timing. Luckily it was a warmish spring day and I was able to rearrange my route so that I was able to reach a public shower outside a coastal toilet block where I could hose the worst of the mud off my gloves and RH brake lever and shifter. After another hour of riding I was dry again, if a little crusty, and with no injuries to report. After a couple of hours of riding I decided the RD hanger was bent, so I straightened that out by eye; later when I got home I checked it with an alignment tool and found that my "that'll have to do" hanger straightening was spot on, the first and probably last time this will ever happen.

I went for another ride on Summer Bike two days later, taking with me a wire saw that I used to trim back that rogue bit of branch. It was never going to sprout a leaf again, having long ago been roughly snapped off by ramblers or whoever, and I reasoned that flying face first into a deep, stinking, muddy pondle wouldn't be quite so funny the second time around.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    My last crash was on a loose and unfamiliar trail to me. Went off trail a few inches and a tree branch grabbed my bar and whoop there it is.
    Somehow i fell in slow.motion and did a acrobatic tuck and roll onto my pack and back on my feet.
    Very proud of myself.
    Video footage if interested.

https://youtu.be/jMCBDCg6wQg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Here's mine.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-img_3409.jpgYour most recent crash: How was it?-img_3419-1-.jpg

8 stitches in the knee. I'm fine :-)

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Unfamiliar trail in Junction, Texas. Broken left hand...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Caught off guard by a 5 foot drop. Didnít get my weight far enough back. Landed in an endo which continued down the trail picking up speed. While still in the endo, right handlebar clipped a tree. Hit two trees and two rocks before hitting the ground where I continued to tumble through a root garden.

Results:
    -Pulled neck muscle
    -road rash and bruises on right shoulder
    -pulled muscle over my left rib cage
    -huge bruise on left hip
    -strained right wrist
    -puncture wound and bruise in left palm
    -bruised inner right thigh

My helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads saved me from further, more severe, injuries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Last Tuesday: clipped a tree at speed. I hit the ground and some roots a rocks HARD. 2 broken ribs, bruised lung, mild concussion, pulled groin muscle, bruised knee, banged up left forearm. Got a neck board ride up a forested hillside, 1/2 mile gator ride to ambulance and a 3 night hospital stay. Fun stuff!

mtbr member
    I leave for Africa on Monday. No riding for me this week / weekend. Too close to risk it!

@njcshreds
    One thing led to another and I went OTB last night. Felt like (still feels like) I got punched in the chest. Thankfully, I'm better at falling than riding and didn't have my head be the point of impact (confirmed by my buddies who witnessed it). My biggest regret is I didn't have the GoPro with me.

Also, the bike is OK.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Sat morning on lap 3 of a 24hr endurance race, smoking fast downhill section I ate it hard at the very end. Bobbled the front and hit a shear rock face, bike flew about 15 foot into the air and I skipped of the side and down the trail. Bike was fine and I blew my MCL in my left knee and could barely stand much less peddle. I made it back to the pits and loaded up on pain meds rode another 11 laps..

Now I get 6 weeks off life sucks!!
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Couple weeks ago. Going way too fast for skill and physical condition. Estimating 20+mph, totally missed a turn, and slammed into a dirt berm. Never had the stuffing knocked out of me like that before! Helmet did perfect job of protecting what, at that moment felt like the least important part of my body, it was designed to.

Broken clavicle (surgically reassembled 7 days ago) and 2 broken ribs close to my spine on my dominant side. That was one shitty hike down with the bike to the parking lot to the truck for ride to emergency room!

And of course, I nearly dislocated the thumb on my non-dominant hand so I have great difficulty making a fist and holding anything with any weight.

On reflection, I was just not prepared physically or attention-wise, in any way, to do the speed I was doing on a trail section I've never riden before.

Physically tired from previous days power lifting, tired as hell from long climb up to top of trails that morning, too fast for not knowing trail, too fast for not being able to see hikers (I know, stupid to nth degree there!!) even though my riding partners flew down just ahead of me, reached to turn on bell between corners to help warn said unknown hikers....then epic crash!! Wasn't lucky enough to roll out on flat ground, I had to slam in to an uptilted berm. Would have done no worse than falling 30' out of a tree onto flat ground.

I knew if it was too fast for visibility between corners it was way too fast for me to be taking my hands off the grips. Stupid shit we do, right?? Yeah...I'll slow down first, then worry about activating my bell to warn others if I want to go faster.

Hindsight is scaring the bejesus out of my I hit plain dirt and didn't end up in a bunch of rocks/baby heads.

eta: bike came away totally unscathed. Multi thousands of $ is all medical bills as a result and a lost summer of the fun stuff I love to do.
    Last edited by ASCTLC; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:34 AM. Reason: additional info

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I think the motto a lot of the parks use is good. They have like a sign at the top that says Something like first run you scope it, next run you learn it, 3rd run you send it.

Ive been guilty, last week rode a new trail way to fast for not knowing what was coming ahead of me and barely made it out of there without eating it hard.

I actually did crash that day but on a separate flat section ive done a bunch. It was on a climb in a rock garden I thought i could take seated. Mistake, pedal strike and down i went and didnt get out of pedals fast enough. I dont even think flats would have helped but laid my right shin on a large rock, nice swelling and bruise. Of course I kept riding two more laps and nailed that section the next time up. Damn my leg hurt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    went over the bars yesterday on a rocky trails that I'm very familiar with and was certain to have a good line but obviously not the case, was heading west late in the evening probably the sun tricked me!

in the end a broken wrist (broken radius and cracked ulna) and 40m walk back to the car, glad I had a friend to carry my bike and take me to the ER, not a single scratch on my helmet which Iím very thankful!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ouch mfa81. It's clear the pain meds kicked in though - lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Oh man, reading this thread is going to make slower than I already am!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I was hitting up some very rocky technical descents. There i was having an epic time when I overestimated my ability and took a small spill. I felt a scratch on my leg, turns out that "scratch" was more than i imagined. Maybe i should have read the sign and given it more thought haha!...I think a rock nicked my leg on the way down, barely even felt it! I'm glad i have my first aid kit in my bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-file1-14.jpg  

Your most recent crash: How was it?-file1-15.jpg  

Your most recent crash: How was it?-file-23.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    Ouch mfa81. It's clear the pain meds kicked in though - lol.
    totally high on pain killers, had just woken up after they put it back my wrist on the right place, telling jokes and having fun!

Co Springs
    WOW

Colorful pics !! Good healing to all.

I'm a wimp, low pain threshold keeps me at ultra-sane velocity. Last crash of 2 + months ago was a minor pain (even for me) big bleed on the knee entirely blamed on 8% beer.

I did shred a spec of jeans above my knee with a chainsaw a few weekends ago.... Man, that was close! No more power tools on a 20 hour day but I'm still okay with the electric pencil sharpener occasionally.

Keeping abv in my sights now.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Wow! Wishing a fast recovery for all of you...
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

Magically Delicious
    Your most recent crash: How was it?-20160802_140148.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    My last crash was both hilarious and disgusting, thank-you for asking....

Here's a picture taken after I dragged myself out of the mire coughing and spluttering:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180505_140254 Farm Track Pond Dive (small).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	1201221
    Similarly hilarious, I was crossing a creek and hit a buried rock and came to a dead stop. Before I could get unclipped, I fell over. I was soaked...but only on my left half.

I guess if I'm gonna "crash," I'd rather it be that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post

Name:	20160802_140148.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	1204545

That's a drag^ Try to enjoy your vacation from cycling, I hiked more.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post

Name:	20160802_140148.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	1204545

Sorry, man. I'm betting your sig didn't hold true in this case. Hope you heal up quick.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Magically Delicious
    Actually, I am pretty healed up. This was just my most recent issue. But many thanks from you guys for the good thoughts!

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Your most recent crash: How was it?-x8muwni.jpg
    hit this a few times, and then let some air out of my fork at home. didn't go well the next time.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-c1m4noc.jpg

I put air back in my fork.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567