Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This past weekend I launched off a waterbar at speed and tried to avoid landing right in front of a huge root. Bike landed somewhat sideways and slid out under me. My left shoulder and hip took the brunt. Dislocated shoulder which I reset to blinding pain against a nearby tree. Hiked 4 miles back to the car and packed the bike in since I couldn't lift it onto the roof rack. Still haven't taken it out to check for damage.

Brant-C.
    Did an endo over a rock garden. I saw a big rock I thought my face was going to kiss. I ended up doing a downward dog and was able to keep my face from getting smashed! After it happened, all I could think of was "Full Face Helmet".
    I made it home unscathed.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Webb canyon.. took a spill on the waterfall after attempting it on my trail bike with trail kings on it. No traction, sucked into a rut, let go of the brakes to get out but rolled uncontrollably onto the wrong line, I had about 5 seconds of ahh shit this is gonna end badly before I got to the bottom and my bike stopped abruptly at an intersecting, 90 degree direction changing rut.
    I heard my self let out that "ueeeuhhhhm" as I slammed. Shoulders hip ankles all bruised. Of course after that I went on to fall a few more times. Last runnof the day. I was done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyguy1001 View Post
    To be honest, all I remember is thinking I'm going down and I needed to pull my arm back or I was going to break my arm. When the film started playing in my head again I was sitting on the ground drinking water from my pack and spitting out blood, wondering why I was at this park. I knew where I was, but no idea why I was there. Some guy rolled up on me and called the park ranger, and they called an ambulance. By the time they loaded me up, I had my head back on straight but was a mess. It all happened pretty fast. According to someone that was there as they were loading me into the ambulance, he said it looked like my front tire washed out in some gravel. It was a downhill with a slight right bend to it. I've ridden it a bunch of times already and never had a hint of a problem. I'm getting a little old for this kind of wreck, but god help me, I do love riding. Slight concussion, several fractures around my eye, sinus and cheek, a ton of road rash but very much alive!
    Hello there. Wondering how are doing. I hope your recovery is complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

mtbr member
    Leaf covered trails in CT last Sunday. Navigated them well and had two fantastic rides in prior weeks, but a hidden baby head induced a low speed endo. I caught myself with my hands which led to a sore left wrist, and also picked up a nasty Charlie horse in my right thigh. I should have walked it off more or rested a little, because I had much less control of the bars because of the sore wrist. That induced endo #2 about 50 yards later. This one bent the hell out of my rear derailleur and hanger. We rigged it so I could get out of the woods, but my legs immediately began cramping up. I was never so happy to get back to the lot. As my friend likes to say, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was riding my old Trek 4500 in the pavement (rigid fork, hybrid tires). On a curve, there was a thin layer of mud that I didn't notice, rear tire slipped and I fell to the left, hitting the pavement first with my torso. At least bruised ribs, hurt my left wrist a little and the crystal on my watch is all scratched up. Thanks to the helmet, nothing on my head, but the helmet made a pretty loud sound when it hit the pavement. I know I need new tires, but not sure if better tires would have prevented that anyways.

Haven't ridden in three weeks, planning to go again this Sunday, if rain permits.

mtbr member
    Last Monday after work I was riding by myself on a trail that I ride 3-4 times per week. I was near the tail end of the ride when IT happened. I was going down a gradual straight descent that had a small bump every so often for those who enjoy getting air. I am NOT one of those people at age 53 I assure you. I was probably going in the neighborhood of approx 15mph. Just a good, natural cruising speed that I was comfy with.

As I approached the 2nd bump I "toyed" with the ideal of practicing my jumps and was going to approach it cautiously. But I had a last minute epiphany that I was really going faster than I probably needed to be going in order to practice this feat and decided against it. Just to the left of the small bump was a hill with what I deemed a very small yet passable pass-thru and would just take it instead. I suppose I wasn't paying FULL attention because as I began to drift over to the left I apparently didn't see a small tree sapling because the next thing I know is I am literally FLYING through the air and landed abruptly onto the trail wondering WHAT just happened. Imagine lying there to hear the next sound of your bike landing PAST you due to the speed I guess carried both our momentums. I laid there for a few moments to assess the damage to my body. I could feel my right knee screaming and my right elbow was in excruciating pain. Already swollen to the size of a tennis ball. I eventually got up and checked over things. My bike was in good condition. I wasn't dizzy or hurt. Looking at what happened it appears that tree sapling caught my front brake lever at which time my front wheel stopped on a dime and I kept going!

Just proves that paying attention and making decisions prior to where you are about to ride is essential and detrimental to safe riding on MTB trails.
    OMB
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Your most recent crash: How was it?-freddiecruger.jpg

Just past the G-out, I made the full power stop to not hit a fallen rider but forgot to unclip and fell over Into the rocks.

I told people Freddie Krueger got me.
    “I seek only the Flow”, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus
    Climbing Is Hard, I like It :P

mtbr member
    Wow. A Freddie Krueger indeed.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FreddieCruger.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1109499

Just past the G-out, I made the full power stop to not hit a fallen rider but forgot to unclip and fell over Into the rocks.

That's gonna leave a mark.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    First post on this site. A crash is a nice way to start:

Galveston Island East Beach, vintage Fuel 98, headed west towards home, deciding whether to buy a Farley for beach riding. Gulf of Mexico on my left. Minding my own business.

FULL-ON, SNARLING FRONTAL ATTACK BY PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN PIT BULL!!! ACTIVATE FRONTAL DOG ATTACK TACTIC, NOW!

Which is to steer straight for the dog. They always wave off, and then I'm gone! Didn't work on sand like it does on the road, dog tried to wave off, slipped and I t-boned her. Collision so hard that 2 bottles ejected from Arundel cages, I went over the bars like shot from a slingshot, but the bike didn't endo. What the Brits would call a 'firm arrival.' Sand, I guess. Dog hid on owner's car floorboard.

Skanky/hottie/methy dog owner in micro-bikini scurries up apologizing and wiping off my water bottles, bike, and ME with beach towel. This honestly sweet and contrite person got a 10-minute chewing out. Leash laws, dog training, and so on. I rode away, then came back and made sure she understood when a dog attacks a cyclist it's the owner's fault, etc, etc. I was a real SOB. I hope she got the point. I wasn't hurt too bad, and I hope the dog wasn't either.

I bought the Farley, BTW. Hard to beat a fatty on the beach.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Wink

I tried to do a 2 ft drop with a pretty thick ledge before it, too slow to crear it, went otb and hit my ribs hard. I am 290 lbs bent the handle bar: . Thought I had broken at least one, rode 2 miles back to the car and went to ER. Only bruises but I could breath right for days!
    The ledge is the one on the picture, the taller side a little above the bike frame. I had to clear it before the drop, probably just sidewalk high on the top side. There is a video, I'll try to upload it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-img_5475.jpg  

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I have had a couple of wrecks where I thought it was a shame nobody got to see them, having video would be fun.

Professional Crastinator
    This is probably against the rules of this thread but...

Got lucky. No crash.
    Your most recent crash: How was it?-fspbridge.jpg
    Past this bridge is a steep hill to go up. You need mucho momentum. Esp. when it's snowing and there's limited traction.
    Well, I was so fixated on building speed to make the climb I forgot about squaring up to the frozen bridge before I got onto it. I tried hard to keep the front end planted and it held about an inch from the right edge of the bridge. I just got lucky that my front tire didn't wash out and send me off. I might've laid there all night. Still replaying that crash that didn't happen in my head. ...Gives me a stomach ache.

-F

PS - Freddy Kreuger does nice work! Yow!
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Im still relatively new have been sticking to green and blue trails but last week of November a trail I had cut through pretty good at least 10-15 times didn't like me one day. There is a pretty decent downhill gradient with some root erosion drop offs. Although I don't remember details I came out with a concussion, 13 staples and some decent scrapes to my face and head. What I believe happen in the faster section is I lost it after a drop off, fell, knocked myself out and slid a bit. Lifting the helmet and giving me some souvenirs. It put me off the bike for about two weeks. But I can say yesterday morning we had a break from bitter cold and I went back and rode the same section with success.

I have pictures of my head but Im not sure the policy on the more gnarly pictures. I will hold off for the time being.

Cycologist
    Ouch, sorry about your crash but glad to hear you're back on the bike. Pictures are allowed, just visit the "Rider Down" thread to see how gnarly the pics get.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Professional Crastinator
    Add 2 more minor crashes. It is hella icy here on the North Coast. I came off an icy parking lot (with too much confidence, I guess) onto some landscape rocks that looked dry. They weren't. After about 1 bike length my fatbike and I parted and I was down on the ice-covered rocks.
    Today I simply went from "sorta icy" to full-on sheet ice in a pine forest and we parted ways again.

Just knocked my knees and elbows.

I'm just too trusting of my gear (and wayyyy too confident). I've yet to learn from this.

-F

mtbr member
    Rode all night last night, rode from the house to the trails actually. Its a nasty mess here in eastern PA with ice all over. Heading back to the house on a dry section of rode I was cruising over 20mph sprinting up a grade that's completely dry and my chain snaps. Instantly smash into the ground and slide like 20 feet. I got lucky and besides some torn up cloths and a scrape knee I'm fine.

Bike didn't fair so well though. Broken chain, broken grip, broken lever and adjusters and bent the left side lower chain stay from the crank hitting it. Still questioning the crank and bars being any good since they are carbon.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

Momentum Junkie
    ^ ouch, major bummer about the bike, glad your ok.

mine today was hilarious. steep DH on snow thats sketchy even under the best conditions. tried rolling it even though i knew it was going to end badly. both tires started sliding immediately and half down i was on my face. no damage to anything, not even my ego. that was reckless at best. did i learn anything? no, i'd do it again right now. there's almost no penalty when you land in snow, unless you hit a rock or something.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Rode all night last night, rode from the house to the trails actually. Its a nasty mess here in eastern PA with ice all over. Heading back to the house on a dry section of rode I was cruising over 20mph sprinting up a grade that's completely dry and my chain snaps. Instantly smash into the ground and slide like 20 feet. I got lucky and besides some torn up cloths and a scrape knee I'm fine.

Bike didn't fair so well though. Broken chain, broken grip, broken lever and adjusters and bent the left side lower chain stay from the crank hitting it. Still questioning the crank and bars being any good since they are carbon.
    Bent chain stay!?
    That takes some effort. Peace be with you in the new year. Hope your bike works out OK.

-F

mtbr member
    I'm just glad I'm OK! A hour before I was pedaling as fast as I could down ice and snow covered descents. Crazy how I was almost home and something stupid wrecked my day!

mtbr member
    2 rides ago I ended up turtled on a Briar Bush.

Long story short, I was bombing down a gnar infested trail. Took an unridden left fork. Went in too hot. Didn't/couldn't read a 4ft step down, tried to wall ride my way out of trouble. Front tire slipped down wall dropping way below my feet. Almost saved it. Handle bars twisted & over I went.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member

would go get that tattooed right now!!!!Drips and all

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    would go get that tattooed right now!!!!Drips and all
    Yessssss! I'm not even into tattoos but I'd do it. That is sick.

mtbr member
    Must have a few Werewolves around your parts o_0

mtbr member
    After doing some stem/spacer swaps for fitting I decided to go on a test ride. About 8 miles in some fast XC trails, I was on the brakes hard on a downhill getting ready for a sharp turn when the handlebar rotates backwards in the stem, thus putting even more weight on the brakes because they rotated backwards too.
    Next thing I know I'm going over the bars but in slo-mo, like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix during the bank scene when he's picking up that Uzi while doing a cartwheel, except I was trying to lay down the bike as gently as possible.
    Great ride and good reminder to check torque when finished.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    After doing some stem/spacer swaps for fitting I decided to go on a test ride. About 8 miles in some fast XC trails, I was on the brakes hard on a downhill getting ready for a sharp turn when the handlebar rotates backwards in the stem, thus putting even more weight on the brakes because they rotated backwards too.
    Sounds similar to what happened to me today.

Super muddy trail, I fishtailed and from what I can tell my headset loosened and went in the opposite direction?

here's a video https://youtu.be/xMCgFsGmzJk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    Sounds similar to what happened to me today.

Super muddy trail, I fishtailed and from what I can tell my headset loosened and went in the opposite direction?

here's a video https://youtu.be/xMCgFsGmzJk
    Yep, could see it well in the slo-mo, we both had a 'Note To Self' moment.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Professional Crastinator

Totals for 2016

OK, I think this is funny...
    6 crashes total:

1 Fatbike slid out on flow trail --> Head in snow
    2 Fatbike pedal strike --> OTB and cracked rib.
    3 Fatbike front hits off-trail log --> forearm in front wheel/fork
    4 Fatbike front blows through false bench on right hander --> knee ripped out of pants, some skin off knee
    (and those were new pants! )
    5 Fatbike + ice-covered rocks --> banged up knees and elbows
    6 Fatbike + sheet ice --> banged my knees

^^^This here is the value of statistics. Anyone else see a trend here?

The trend is: I'll never learn.

Be careful out there and have fun!

-F

No bike parts were injured in the making of these statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Went down today on a flow trail in 5" of snow on my fatbike. Left a helmet print inside one of the berms. It was just so slick off the main groove. When I went down I let the bars hit first and they just slid out from under me. I clamored along with my hands but those slipped too and my head just plowed into the snow. Quite a safe landing.
    Every vent was packed with snow, though.
    Anyone would've laughed.

-F
    I forgot about this thread...

My last crash was stupid. 3rd in line of at least 50 riders, about 5 minutes into a 25 mile singletrack ride and I caught my left fatbike pedal on a tree as my handlebar just narrowly missed. It jacked me over the bars and I landed on my right arm/shoulder. I was going just fast enough to transition into short roll instead of just body slamming to a dead stop, but my arm cracked a couple ribs on impact. I rolled off the trail to avoid getting run over, then had to wait for about 50 guys to ride past before I found an opening to get back under way. The ribs weren't bad that day, but the two days after were very tender, then I over-stretched and re-injured one of them about a week later. Feeling about 80% now and trying to be careful. I guess Q-factor IS a factor.

-F
    Oh man, the smashed Zion almost made me cry.

...but my ribs are almost healed, thankyouverymuch.
    I nearly re-did them yesterday, though.

A local trail was recently opened for alternating directions on alternating days. I'd ridden it backwards before, but it was either at night, or in the Winter. This time it was hero dirt in bright sunshine so I was really carving into it on my fatbike. With a 1/2 mile to go I ever so briefly took my attention off my line to see how far it was to this steep short punch-up, and my front tire caught the end of a log that was hidden on the edge of the trail right on the exit of a turn. The handlebars nearly ripped out of my hands as I went kind of sideways OTB. In effort to keep my recently healed ribs safe I prepared to tuck and roll and the bike somehow came back under me. My right forearm went right in between the tire and the back of the fork arch. I could feel the tire squishing and conforming around my arm, but it popped out as quick as it went in. I have to think that's what it would feel like to be bitten by a large rubber dog. I think I got a handlebar to the gut too, but overall it was not bad. Dusted off and managed to ride the last 1/2 mile clean.

-F
    Did you ride off the top of a building?!

You and sleepyguy should not ride together.

Heal well!

I had more of just a fall today, but I thought it would be funny to log all of my get-offs and see how many posts I have in this thread by the end of the season.

Early morning, dual lights blazing, riding a trail I have memorized cold, 5 minutes in...

Hit a downhill right hander at something like fast running speed (not Usain Bolt speed) and someone had carved off the false bench at the edge of the trail to improve the drainage. My front tire went right off and I went right down on my right handlebar and knee. It was the abrupt stop that shocked me - I barley slid an inch. Just WHAM. Took the knee right outta my pants and a little skin outta my knee, but nothing to cry about.

Careful out there!

-F
    Add 2 more minor crashes. It is hella icy here on the North Coast. I came off an icy parking lot (with too much confidence, I guess) onto some landscape rocks that looked dry. They weren't. After about 1 bike length my fatbike and I parted and I was down on the ice-covered rocks.
    Today I simply went from "sorta icy" to full-on sheet ice in a pine forest and we parted ways again.

Just knocked my knees and elbows.

I'm just too trusting of my gear (and wayyyy too confident). I've yet to learn from this.

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Yep, could see it well in the slo-mo, we both had a 'Note To Self' moment.
    Since I'm new I'm still trying to figure out why it happened... This was only my 4th ride ever so perhaps the stem had loosened somewhat? From what I've read the topcap bolt isn't nearly as tight as the stem bolts are supposed to be. I need to double check but I think the stem bolts are only supposed to be 5nm which doesn't seem that much.

mtbr member
    Since I'm new I'm still trying to figure out why it happened... This was only my 4th ride ever so perhaps the stem had loosened somewhat? From what I've read the topcap bolt isn't nearly as tight as the stem bolts are supposed to be. I need to double check but I think the stem bolts are only supposed to be 5nm which doesn't seem that much.
    You got it, the top cap helps set the preload on the headset bearings and the stem bolts hold the stem to the steerer tube. 5nm isn't much but make sure you tighten evenly, for example, both bolts to 3nm, then both to 4, then both to 5.
    Check out the Park Tools website or Arts Cyclery videos on how to adjust and tighten stems, they're good resources.

mtbr member
    You should consider a shorter stem.

Spherical Earther
    The Topcap bolt only really serves to hold the stem in place and preload the stem until the stem bolts are torqued. After that, it's a hole plug. I'd be interested to see if the stem bolts weren't torqued properly or if there weren't enough stem on the fork (their should bee no more than 3mm of gap between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer tube under the top cap). There are other issues (like grease on the fork steerer) that could be the culprit too. When torqueing the stem, be sure to torque by alternating between the bolts (i.e. torque both to 3nm, then 4nm, then 5nm rechecking the last step a few times). If you torque one, then the other, without returning, you can find that the first one you torqued is now under less tension effectively making your stem a one bolt stem.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I had a recent wreck of pure stupidity and embarrassment. Nothing awesome amazing or epic. I fell over in the parking lot. I rolled up to my truck and grabbed my tailgate. It wasn't latched. I fell over then was hit in the head by the tailgate. It's a full size bronco so the gate weighs a ton. good thing I still had my helmet on. I wish someone had it on video.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I had a recent wreck of pure stupidity and embarrassment. Nothing awesome amazing or epic. I fell over in the parking lot. I rolled up to my truck and grabbed my tailgate. It wasn't latched. I fell over then was hit in the head by the tailgate. It's a full size bronco so the gate weighs a ton. good thing I still had my helmet on. I wish someone had it on video.
    Where is American's Funniest Video's when you need them? lol. Epic and memorable crash to keep private for sure.
    OMB
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2017 Fuji Absolute 1.9D
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

Professional Crastinator
    I'm sorry - I'm laughing out loud at you right now.

-F

Cycologist
    Sounds about like mine from this fall (post 384):

Couldn't get unclipped and toppled over with a loud BONG! I had managed to hit my helmet on a National Park Service marker.

But at least no one was around, in the parking lot you probably entertained a few.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Looks more like you tangled with a mountain lion. You pulled a Chuck Norris and kicked its ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    My last crash was on a wall ride. My line was too high, so I tried to adjust and ended up getting too vertical. My tires slid out, and I went down. I ended up tangled with my bike with one hand slammed between the boards. My index finger was especially jammed and started swelling up almost immediately. The worst part was having to ride down the rest of the hill with a bum braking finger. Luckily I was nearing the end of my ride anyway. In retrospect, I probably should have adjusted the lever so I could brake better with my middle finger, but I wasn't thinking at the time.

That was in October, and while I have since gained full range of motion in my finger, I still have some pain at the knuckle. Maybe I should have gone to the doctor...

mtbr member
    no it had to be a busy weekend at the park... lots of people around. I had another moment like that last year. rode 20+ miles without an incident. last foot of dirt before the sidewalk there is a fence post marking the trail. I clipped it with the end of the bar and down I go in front of a bunch of other riders.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Too much crashing for me lately/

My latest:

Riding in wet conditions, some parts clay/leaves.

My front tire slides out and somehow I got pitched forward into my cockpit which had jacked around. My full force of lower abdomen went directly into the end of the handlebars while the bike went to the ground. So most of the force of my speed/crash got transferred through the bike/ground into the handlebar into my abdomen. Luckily I had a bar plug in or I woulda taken a nice core sample and probably would have needed some immediate serious medical attention. My grip even rolled up a couple inches leaving just the bar exposed.

Instead I just fought off vomiting for about 15 min, bruised my abdominal wall, bruised my intestines, examined my urine for blood (there was none) and I have a nice circle mark on my abdomen that is part bruise/part scrape.

Besides my body, my rear brake snapped off at the clamp. This was one of my more unique crashes and I think was truly a freak incident

USE BAR PLUGS!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My most recent crash was from tackling a pretty unkempt section of super dry trail to fast, I now have some grazes on my hip, knee and shoulder. Nothing too bad.

I caught my best crash session on camera a while back

mtbr member
    OTB(sort of, bike went with me) this morning. Little early to tell about bruising on my thigh, but feeling blessed and thankful to escape with hardly a mark on me.
    Left hand was numb, but I had managed to use the butt of my palm to activate the dropper. Trail leveled out just past stepped rocks and roots, but I was still pointed downhill when I grabbed for the remote again, thinking my fingers were over the brake reservoir/body instead of the lever, which turned out to be only half true. Locked up the front brake instead, and basically did a forward flip, bike and all. Untangled, got up, held the front tire between my legs while twisting the bars back straight, and was riding again in seconds.
    Sad part is that they smoothed out that little spot awhile back, and stacked rocks so it's more of a rough ramp than series of small drops. Don't even really need to use the dropper there, I just do so out of habit

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Foot strike on a rock, was riding kinda slow and screwing off. Foot stuck, went nuts to stem, then finally OTB into rocks. Just a hair less painful then getting snipped

Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Foot strike on a rock, was riding kinda slow and screwing off. Foot stuck, went nuts to stem, then finally OTB into rocks. Just a hair less painful then getting snipped
    So you chose the three step program.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Barely in control
    Hit the bar on a slender tree, totally unexpected, and it whipped the bike from under me. I was going pretty fast, too. Got a skinned up elbow, sore shoulder, sore ribs, and for some reason my right thumb was aching. Never going to ride late in the day again. The sun is too low and casts shadows. Also having dark glasses didn't help. I set myself up pretty good.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Besides my body, my rear brake snapped off at the clamp. This was one of my more unique crashes and I think was truly a freak incident

USE BAR PLUGS!!
    I use the Easton lock-on grips with the end cap that clamps over the grip and end of the bar. I think this little lip is what hooked the tree and kept me from escaping. So, use bar plugs, but not the big ones!

Quote Originally Posted by ButtersNZ View Post
    My most recent crash was from tackling a pretty unkempt section of super dry trail to fast, I now have some grazes on my hip, knee and shoulder. Nothing too bad.

I caught my best crash session on camera a while back

Ouch!
    Were you familiar with that section? Or haphazardly shredding it? I ask because it looks like you went straight when the trail went left.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ouch!
    Were you familiar with that section? Or haphazardly shredding it? I ask because it looks like you went straight when the trail went left.
    Well it was a few factors. First run of the day and I went too aggressively off the bat. It was raining quite hard and I couldn't see anything for the first crash, then my mojo was all screwy for the second one! And lastly I'd just bought an AVS neckbrace and only realised during that run that I couldn't look down at all - so that definitely contributed! All up I was a massive newb about it. Have ridden the trail plenty of times since with better results Short vid here if you want some better perspective on the crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtersNZ View Post
    Well it was a few factors. First run of the day and I went too aggressively off the bat. It was raining quite hard and I couldn't see anything for the first crash, then my mojo was all screwy for the second one! And lastly I'd just bought an AVS neckbrace and only realised during that run that I couldn't look down at all - so that definitely contributed! All up I was a massive newb about it. Have ridden the trail plenty of times since with better results Short vid here if you want some better perspective on the crashes.

Yeah, that second crash was nasty.

mtbr member
    Have to hand it to the fat bike crew for the great crash stories. I have a fat bike that never sees snow. It has nearly failed me, but not yet...except being caught by a rogue wave beach riding... which destroyed my phone which I stupidly did not have in a waterproof bag or something. Sand in every orifice and crevice, plus a wallop of sea water in the left ear.

But I had a terrible accident falling on my handlebar from above which broke my sternum dead center and gave me a heart
    attack in 2016 losing traction while climbing on a single speed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Glad we weren't injured by your immodest bike shorts (by a lower crop of the photo): please wear baggies over pants. Only roadies go around with threadbare see-through bike shorts.

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hauling down a fire road and was bucked into a boulder. Broke my scapula, 4 broken ribs 4 fractured, broken left wrist, deflated right lung, and finally lacerations to both liver and kidney. Spent 3 weeks in ICU and a few in general recovery. Now in recovery so things are good and therapy going well. Can't wait to ride again

https://youtu.be/-A6SnL-5jTs

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Dude, that sounds horrific. Glad to hear that you are in the mend.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It hurt more then it should have.

I was coming down a descent at reasonable speed on the fat bike when I fit a snow drift, which launched me over the bars. Shouldn't have been a bit deal but I land on a rather large buried stump. Had pretty sore shoulder for a couple of days.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by MakwaChief View Post
    Hauling down a fire road and was bucked into a boulder. Broke my scapula, 4 broken ribs 4 fractured, broken left wrist, deflated right lung, and finally lacerations to both liver and kidney. Spent 3 weeks in ICU and a few in general recovery. Now in recovery so things are good and therapy going well. Can't wait to ride again

YouTube username checks out, glad you're recovering well!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Racing yesterday and was on the tail of a younger, faster and lighter racer. We were going down a flowy trail and he floated through a muddy patch. I took a different line and being at least 50 pounds heavier my front wheel stuck in deeper mud and I did a very slow motion pitch over the bars. Nothing injured except ego and got my shorts and brand New Jersey very muddy. Got up and finished. All ended well and by the looks of my competitors hanging around the finish line after the race many had similar experience. Hoping for drier conditions next weekend.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by MakwaChief View Post

I feel your pain - broke 7 ribs and partially collapsed a lung last summer and spent time in ICU as well. No fun what so ever. 7 months out from the wreck and I still can't sleep on my left side. I am riding again, albeit much more cautiously - not something I want to repeat again.

Glad to hear recovery is going well. I hope you get back to full speed soon.

mtbr member
    Rode down a rock garden that I've ridden down many times before. Made it almost to end and was making adjustments to my line when my bike folded underneath me. Not sure what happened because it happened so quickly. Felt like front wheel just gave out. The impact was enough to knock the handlebars and seatpost out of alignment. Luckily no injuries except bloody elbow. Worst part was the rock garden was beginning of trail so I rode the rest of way down overly cautious.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Caught a pedal on a root while attempting to get enough speed to launch off of a rock pile. Violently thrown off the bike onto the rock pile. Middle and ring finger must have jammed under brake lever on the way off of the bike. Result, small fracture at mid joint of middle finger and dislocation of ring finger. That was in July, ring finger still not right.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-ouch-medium-.jpg

Your most recent crash: How was it?-ouch2.jpg

Cycologist
    I dislocated a finger about a year ago, not as bad as what your's looks like. It took a good while before it was 100%, I mostly noticed it when I was riding, after awhile I would ride with that finger sticking straight out as it didn't want to be bent. It is 100% now.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    Caught a pedal on a root while attempting to get enough speed to launch off of a rock pile. Violently thrown off the bike onto the rock pile. Middle and ring finger must have jammed under brake lever on the way off of the bike. Result, small fracture at mid joint of middle finger and dislocation of ring finger. That was in July, ring finger still not right.

Name:	Ouch (Medium).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	1120398

Name:	Ouch2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	1120397
    Name:  cringe.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  13.4 KB

Professional Crastinator

I hate that feeling... you really don't want to take that glove off.
    It won't fix itself. You're gonna need to get it re-broken and aligned if you ever want it to sorta work right. It probably would have been best to straighten it back out right when you did it.

-F

mtbr member
    About 3 months ago, descending on a technical trail at about 12 mph on the rigid SS. Rear tire deflected badly off a large rock. As I shifted weight to the back of my saddle to correct balance, heard a loud 'CRACK'! The seat post clamp on my Eriksen had snapped in two!

Flying head first toward a chest sized boulder, was able to lift my head enough to not hit it head first. I did hit chest first and wrapped my arms and shoulders around it.Laid there for a few minutes to get my breath back. Partially displaced collar bone, pulled both rhomboid muscles and deltoids. Major shoulder pain for about 6 weeks. When I got home, I realized the zipper from my jersey was buried under the skin over my collar bone!

It took about 3 weeks to be able to breathe fully.

8 weeks later and I still have deltoid pain. I guess you can't crash like that at my age (57)
    without expecting a long recovery
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Oh sh*t, that finger is nauseating to look at.

My latest crash was a combo of a new trail and unfamiliar bike with grabby brakes. I have a nice bruise coming up on my hip now.

No Clue Crew
    Completely embarrassing. I was taking an EASY ride with the BiL, purposely picked trail so as not to kill him as he's not a technically proficient as me, and wind up losing the front end coming around a corner on some narrow single track. Put my foot out to stop the fall like I've done hundreds of times and this time my foot stays put while my knee continues forward, bending inward and partially tearing my MCL. After 3 weeks I went to the ortho and he said it's typically 6-8 week recovery on partial tears like that.

That's why you should NEVER take it easy on a ride!

mtbr member
    Recently I went OTB twice wile climbing a rock garden, I hope it is not becoming a thing...

Retro on Steroids
    Recent rains eroded a ditch across the trail, and a 6' deep chasm on the downhill side. Pulled out of my pedal just as I started up the far side, stalled, topped slowly enough into the deep hole that I got to contemplate the coming damage.

Friend comes along a few seconds later, can't believe where he finds me. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, just let me hand up my bike. I'll climb out."

A little mud on me, but not a scratch or a bruise. I'm 71.

I'd be suing the glove manufacturer.

Cycologist

Throwing gang signs isn't allowed on this site.

Geez, were you able to get that ring off before your finger swelled up?

Momentum Junkie
    Bahahaha. That finger is a thing of beauty. I know because i did the same thing 11 days ago when i crashed trying to descend a steep hill in snow. only instead of grabbing the camera or going to the ER I just grabbed it and pulled hard. POP, it went right back into place.

A week later it still wasn't quite right so i went to get x-rays. Sure enough, it's broken. Went to go see an Ortho, he gave me a band-aid and told me to put on my big boy pants.

thanks

Your most recent crash: How was it?-finger-1.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Throwing gang signs isn't allowed on this site.

Geez, were you able to get that ring off before your finger swelled up?
    They had to cut it off.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Bahahaha. That finger is a thing of beauty. I know because i did the same thing 11 days ago when i crashed trying to descend a steep hill in snow. only instead of grabbing the camera or going to the ER I just grabbed it and pulled hard. POP, it went right back into place.

A week later it still wasn't quite right so i went to get x-rays. Sure enough, it's broken. Went to go see an Ortho, he gave me a band-aid and told me to put on my big boy pants.

thanks

Name:	finger 1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	1126772
    Tried pulling it at crash site. Freaked my buddies out but it didn't really hurt that much. Wouldn't budge so must not have been pulling hard enough. My middle finger looked like your xray but no fracture of the ring finger.

The ring is probably what held your finger on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This happened last week. "Taking it easy" because my wife was going in to labor any minute...slow speed over the handle bars. Extended arms upon landing and my right arm didnt support me. My elbow dislocated to the outside, think 90 degree angle in the wrong direction. I used the surging adrenaline to reset the elbow back in place myself.

ER visit, ortho visit, labor and delivery room the next day. started PT this weeks, 6-8 weeks until back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    This happened last week. "Taking it easy" because my wife was going in to labor any minute...slow speed over the handle bars. Extended arms upon landing and my right arm didnt support me. My elbow dislocated to the outside, think 90 degree angle in the wrong direction. I used the surging adrenaline to reset the elbow back in place myself.

ER visit, ortho visit, labor and delivery room the next day. started PT this weeks, 6-8 weeks until back on the bike.
    Ugh, well congrats and heal up fast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Your most recent crash: How was it?-break.jpg

Very familiar trail, easy pace, on an unfamiliar bike while waiting on some parts for my main ride. Just wasn't paying enough attention. Front wheel wedged and I dove into the ground. Bell Super 2R took a lot of it. Right arm took the rest.

Now a day out of surgery (fall was last Friday) and bored as hell. Bike looks positively edible. Carbon wheel parts waiting to be built. Sigh.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Coming down the bottom of porupine rim, make a little mistake that almost ends in a huge crash. Fortunately I am able to push off and catch myself with my outside foot. Three hops at high speed but on the last one the foot rolls under.

Now I am currently sitting in the hotel room looking at my rather large ankle and foot. Looks like I am going to be checking out the road riding in Moab.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member

Your most recent crash: How was it?

The overwhelming moral of this thread seems to be to ALWAYS FOCUS no matter what-- you and I really are not as good as we think we are.

mtbr member
    Had 2x sit downs lately...

Trails have been quite damp.

First lay down was tires (plural) washing out... coming in hot to an off camber, wet clay turn - I lay down in a ditch o_0

2nd lay down was a hair pin switchback, 45° slope, wet roots - left hander.

No serious harm... Just longing for drier terrain >.<

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Tucked the front trying to rail a huge machine built berm. Sort of went OTB landed on shoulder/ribs. Really not a big deal at all, but it was my 1st real "crash" since breaking my neck back in August. Truthfully, I'm glad to have gotten it "out of the way". Skinned up knee and a few bruises was all I had to show for it..

Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Tucked the front trying to rail a huge machine built berm. Sort of went OTB landed on shoulder/ribs. Really not a big deal at all, but it was my 1st real "crash" since breaking my neck back in August. Truthfully, I'm glad to have gotten it "out of the way". Skinned up knee and a few bruises was all I had to show for it..

You did what?

Front-end TUCK - Has anyone experienced it? What to do about it?

mtbr member
    I actually caught my last crash on video. A root yanked out my pedal just after a small berm. My foot ended up hitting the ground and getting caught up between my crank and my wheels, resulting in an awkward fall. My butt/tail bone are pretty bruised and sore, but I was able to finish the ride. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/q1LrP1rIvhU.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I actually caught my last crash on video. A root yanked out my pedal just after a small berm. My foot ended up hitting the ground and getting caught up between my crank and my wheels, resulting in an awkward fall. My butt/tail bone are pretty bruised and sore, but I was able to finish the ride. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/q1LrP1rIvhU.

Ouch!

I caught mine on video as well. Doesn't seem that long ago but by video dates it was in October of 2015. A familiar trail I chose the wrong line that day in this section and washed off the edge of the trail. Just a stupid mistake that I blame on being too tense that day. Loosen up and flow with the trail prevents this.

https://m.pinkbike.com/video/426178/

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I had just washed out the front end on a wet rock and was still wobbly, too wobbly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-screen-shot-2017-03-26-3.26.41-pm.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

I had just washed out the front end on a wet rock and was still wobbly, too wobbly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ouch!

I caught mine on video as well. Doesn't seem that long ago but by video dates it was in October of 2015. A familiar trail I chose the wrong line that day in this section and washed off the edge of the trail. Just a stupid mistake that I blame on being too tense that day. Loosen up and flow with the trail prevents this.

https://m.pinkbike.com/video/426178/
    Mine happened yesterday. I'm still not used to the lower BB on my new bike. I don't think I've ever had a pedal strike on this trail, except for maybe slow speed over roots.

It seems that most crashes are for stupid reasons. I actually crashed another time yesterday after my first crash. This time it's because I had a killer pump up a steep section (I've improved my pump technique over the winter) and ended up overshooting the trail and landing on leaf litter on the side of the trai and washing out. My BB ended up wedged on a tree. The crash didn't bug me at all until I got home and noticed the front derailleur mount on my frame broke. I kind of liked 2x on our trails, but I guess I'm converting to a 1x...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    [QUOTE=DIRTJUNKIE;13099081]You did what?

[url]http://forums.mtbr.com/general

That was quite a lengthy thread on tucking the front. Coming from a motorcycle roadracing background, I would say that any time the front tire looses traction and pushes to the point that it starts to "turn in" then you have "tucked the front". It's a very common crash mode in that discipline. If it suddenly regains traction while pointed severely inward, then you high side or go OTB. If you can gradually regain traction while getting the wheels back in line, then you save it. If it never regains traction, then you low side. I'm sure that mine was mostly related to improper body position.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Well who the hell built a wall through the forest?!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well who the hell built a wall through the forest?!
    Looks like a downed tree.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Looks like a downed tree.
    Oh yeah, guess TB was riding it. Let me change that to "who the hell took the photo?"

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Oh yeah, guess TB was riding it. Let me change that to "who the hell took the photo?"
    The log is part of the trail, and easier to ride than the line beside it. I jumped back on the bike to quick, after going down hard, and wobbled on the log. My friend behind me snapped a photo first, once he realized I was still alive. Hard to see in the photo, but I'm holding my thumb up. We have a lot of woodwork on our trails, including logs, a-frames, and a crap load of bridges.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What kind of protection were you wearing? Is there any additional, or different protection that you think might have lessened some of your injuries?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Riding DH at Highland this summer, I came down this horribly technical shrapnel trail, made an awkward move and OTB hard onto my shoulder. If I wasn't wearing flak with a shoulder plate I probably would have had a broken clavicle. Instead, I walked away.

Snowboarding a couple of months later I was not so lucky - in the woods, in a tight, steep line I made a bad move and hit a tree. Fractured tibia plateau requiring a plate and five screws to fix. Still recovering.

mtbr member
    I went OTB wile crossing the creek at spring creek trail in Anadel State Park. It was a hot day so no complains about the sudden splash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Real story: I'll probably take the cake for the dumbest one. I was prepping my bike for a ride the next morning, took it out on the street in front of my house and at the same time... two good looking ladies were walking by in quite "short" shorts (college girls as I'm 1.5 blocks from a college). Naturally I was eye-balling them and smacked the curb barely at a crawl, lost my balance and fell in a crumpled mess.... in front of them. Just got a few scrapes on my shins from the spikes on the pedals but also bruised my "manliness" and ego.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post
    Real story: I'll probably take the cake for the dumbest one. I was prepping my bike for a ride the next morning, took it out on the street in front of my house and at the same time... two good looking ladies were walking by in quite "short" shorts (college girls as I'm 1.5 blocks from a college). Naturally I was eye-balling them and smacked the curb barely at a crawl, lost my balance and fell in a crumpled mess.... in front of them. Just got a few scrapes on my shins from the spikes on the pedals but also bruised my "manliness" and ego.
    Same here. Two male hikers stepped aside, to admire my bike as I whizzed by them. I was carrying way too much downhill speed and went head-on straight into a giant creosote bush, flipping me OTB as they kept gawking, with both jaws dropped. Damn, that hurt my ego more than the road rash...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Missed them gem of a thread. Back in Feb I munched it at an enduro race on limestone. Finished the last stage of the day, went to change clothes and couldn't raise my arm. After some x-rays and an MRI it turns out I was the winner of a fractured scapula and SLAP tear. I'm a few weeks into rehab now that the swelling is down and things seem to be getting better. Couple more weeks to go and we'll see if I need surgery to fix the tear...

The upside to this, with all the downtime I found a headtube crack on the other whip. So.... what must one do? Build a whole new ride!
    - Canfield Nimble 9 - Retired
    Niner Rip 9 (2016)
    Canfield Nimble 9 Boost (2017)

mtbr member
    Front tire washout going down buckeye trail and got a big bruise on my ego and some scratches on my knee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Crashed a couple of weeks ago. Stupid crash as a result of not paying attention. Lost balance and tumbled down an embankment. grabbed a tree on the way down and ruptured the left bicep tendon on the distal end. Might need surgery to repair which will effectively end the riding season, at least for the next 3 months or so. Totally bummed. Guess I'll have to hike more to keep the pounds from piling up.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast