Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RAKC
    Been a while since ive had anything I could call a crash. But seems my crashes go hand in hand with 2-3 time on one specific trail set. Fast flow, some minor tech (unless you go to the advanced add on loops) etc. Easy trail tech wise. Good for going fast and racking up miles.

I usually have 1 of 2 spots I screw up and crash. One is a series a board bridges I'll screw up the step off, wash out and just go over. Second spot is the one that gets me every year, a root sticking out on off camber section. Somehow manage to get too close and catch my pedal at speed, OTB I go.

Not this time. This time was on my favorite mile or so. Fast, flowy, just some minor roots and such. I barely (if at all) use the brakes accept for the couple switch backs.

Well that ride I went out not "feeling it" at first, few minutes in I felt great and was on par for a new personal best (barely but phone had just chimed in with distance and time/avg speed). Knowing what section was just ahead I took it up a notch (or 3). My fun overcame reason as I was getting tingling in my hands pretty bad (was trying to balance out fit after going from 100 to 120mm travel on my forks).

I was 3/4 of the way through the first part of it, slight off camber (hillside) and hit a series of minor step down roots at full speed. Failed holding my line through it cause of hands or combo of that and bad rebound adjustment on the forks, off line to the down side as I exited the section. Tire slid off a bit and washed out, burped tire almost flat as it jerked back up on the trail, and I went flying. Took me a few minutes to pick myself up.

Thought I had done more damage than I did as I came down on right shoulder and smacked my helmet pretty good on the dirt/grass.

Road rash on right arm and cheek, ripped visor off my lid, and my right should was pretty bruised/sore for a few days.

Had to walk out only because I forgot to replace my empty co2 so no way to get front tire reinflated. The only thing about it that pissed me off. All LBS closed and home was 45minutes away.

Ordered a mini pump when I got home and restocked co2s including adding a spare in my pack as well.

Got lucky other riders came by as I was walking, met me with their pickup at a service road exit point and took me back to my van as trail head was at other end of the park. Nothing like meeting cool weekend riders wiling to help out.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Pedaling uphill @ about 6 or 8mph, out of the saddle, front wheel kicks up stick which wedged against the fork, causing otb. Somehow in the process the bike pivots around so the saddle is in front of me, nose pointing towards me. Nutted myself hard on said saddle nose, laid down and whimpered for about 5 minutes, contemplated turning around and going home, changed my mind and continued on.

1st wreck in about 1000 miles so if that gives me a pass for the next 1000 I'm going to call it a "good" crash.
    Nice!

The beginning of this season I had a similar one.

I'm pedaling uphill on a sweet twisty single track. Coming up on some pine tree shaded Colorado prime. Coming up from no tree landscape. As I'm pedaling up the trees are getting thicker and thicker. I hear some voices behind me so I stop. Only to realize they are a good 200 yards down the trail off in the distance, in the no tree area. I can make out a couple of riders pedaling and making some good time heading my way. After I assessed what was happening I started off to continue my ride wanting to stay ahead of them.

As I started off, I had stopped on a steep short downhill that immediately went up. My downhill was only 20' through a creak crossing and then a steep uphill. I started off and as I was trying to clip in on my one foot I hit a boulder just right which stopped my front tire and slow motion I went over the bars on the opposite side of the small creak crossing. I rushed to my feet and looked back at the other riders fast approaching wondering if they had witnessed it. I decided to wait for them to pass in anticipation of a comment as to "nice endo". They passed without comment. I'm not sure if they witnessed it but I was embarrassed for myself making such a rookie mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I didn't plan to contributing in this thread for a long time, but unfortunately luck turned the other way so...
    Last Thursday afternoon I was going down one new singletrail on my xc bike, and as I have never been riding that trail before, I took it a easy and slow. This way crash was relatively low speed (based on HRM stats later on, around 35-40km/h only). Sides of trail were full of high grass, so visibility on trail was pretty bad, but I could still see enough to let bike run. Except I didn't see 30cm deep trench running on side of trail. At one moment my front wheel slipped into that trench and when I subconsciously tried to steer back to trail it grabbed my bike, and I started to fly over handlebar. I have landed on shoulder, trying to move and avoid flying bike, as being clipped in spd's makes your bike nice projectile when being catapulted over handlebar. At first, it didn't feel anything bad, except I was annoyed with crashing. But next morning, when I went unconscious in bathroom scaring my wife to death, things got a bit more complicated. Anyway, after spending half day at different doctors doing whole bunch of tests and scans, it looks like my shoulder is ok, so no broken bones, no torn ligaments, just a blow in shoulder and pain should go away in next few days. Also head looks ok, but I'm off the bike for next few days, just to be sure all is fine.
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Heading down Star Lake Trail in Tahoe and the stream was flowing, thought I would cross it no problem.

Embarassing.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BK-XC View Post
    Heading down Star Lake Trail in Tahoe and the stream was flowing, thought I would cross it no problem.

Embarassing.
    But you jumped back up and checked the bike like a boss. Haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Hahaha, not a damn scratch on the thing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Took my brother to my local trail system last weekend; it was his first time there. I told him that I would call out any features that were easy/safe enough to ride blind. Right at the beginning of the ride, we rolled up to a small but tricky off camber boulder. I yelled over my shoulder "Don't do this" as I popped my front wheel onto the rock... which proceeded to slide sideways and off the rock resulting in a superman crash.

"Don't do this" meant "don't ride the rock" not "don't crash like a dumbass". My wrists still hurt. At least the bike wasn't scratched.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Pedaling uphill @ about 6 or 8mph, out of the saddle, front wheel kicks up stick which wedged against the fork, causing otb. Somehow in the process the bike pivots around so the saddle is in front of me, nose pointing towards me. Nutted myself hard on said saddle nose, laid down and whimpered for about 5 minutes, contemplated turning around and going home, changed my mind and continued on.

1st wreck in about 1000 miles so if that gives me a pass for the next 1000 I'm going to call it a "good" crash.
    I don't mean to laugh, but the mental picture of that happening made me LOL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, so I managed to avoid this darn thread for the better part of 7 months. I decided to give it a go yesterday and low and behold, guess what happened on my ride last evening!

Had it pinned on a local trail hit a small jump, landed, and then must of clipped a tree on my left handlebar and ate it pretty hard. Bike surprisingly was in what seemed like perfect shape (which was a relief since I though I did some damage at least). Still almost had a PR on the trail lol.

Should have known it was going to happen when I read this damn thing!

bi-winning
    First crash of the year, happened a week ago in a local race series. A simple front tire washout, on a slightly off camber singletrack curve. I went down, with my hip and arm breaking the fall. It was a pretty graceful slide. Did not really hurt. Picked up, and carried on.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Embarassing.
    Nice!

I hope you learned your lesson to lift up the front end upon entering a stream crossing at speed.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Nice!

I hope you learned your lesson to lift up the front end upon entering a stream crossing at speed.
    NM lifting the front end, I think he could have bunny hopped the whole thing.
    Atleast thats what it looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    NM lifting the front end, I think he could have bunny hopped the whole thing.
    Atleast thats what it looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

What about to roll in and pedal out?
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

mtbr member
    Next time I'll do a front flip over it for you guys.

Hoping for Endless Summer
    My last bad crash was last summer. I had one last week where I injured my nose but the cause of it was stupid, I lost my balance and fell into a rock garden. The mouthpiece of my FF helmet punched my nose making it bleed heavily. I thought I broke it, but it was just blood vessels that broke, and the only cut was around the outline of my nose. I used the random snow mound that was blocking the trail to clean up.

I was going kind of fast (for me) on a beautiful trail with exposure and a lot of trees and tree roots. I came to a really steep pit drop (maybe 12 inches, not sure) from a tree root. I panicked and braked right as I hit the root, and my pedal caught the root. Went over the handlebars with the bike landing on my back. I hit my head hard and had a slight headache, but the helmet did its job as did my pads. I only got a couple of bruises and burn-like marks. The surface was pumice, so soft but abrasive. I haven't had any problems with roots since.

mtbr member
    Just crashed around 6 hrs ago could been pretty bad for my knee i landed with my full weight on a rock luckily I bought a set of knee/shin pads a couple months back and was actually using em altho i still felt it and was limping for a little. I also somehow managed to snap the bend in the end of my brake lever clean off lucky the LBS in my hometown had a replacement unfort all I had was 10 bucks but luckily they had a allready open package of the same avid levers I like it as just black vs silver. Ofc though on my ride home I hit 100 on a 2 dollar lottery ticket i was so tempted to turn around and go by a set but was getting dark and I still had another 4 miles to go till I got home. If you look close at the right knee pad you can see the evidence of the hit I was trying to navigate a rock garden and failed horribly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-bsted.jpg  

Your most recent crash: How was it?-bikelev.jpg  

Your most recent crash: How was it?-shin.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Your most recent crash: How was it?-1464756410581.jpg
    Busted collarbone, but it was OK, the bike didn't get a scratch

mtbr member
    Lmao true the bikes all that matters huh

I got cursed by posting on this thread because I went over the bars for the first time this season the day after I posted. Fortunately it wasn't too bad. My back tire hit a sand covered rock I didn't see while I had the back brake pressed. I landed on the right side of my chest and got the wind knocked out of me for a split second. Surprisingly, no pain. But I have a huge mark which looks like a burn from belly button to my shoulder.

Now I think my tire pressure is too high... I need to get a reliable gauge. I also still need to learn not to use the back brake so much, but despite how much I try not to, it feels lopsided to only use my left hand. It's actually a bit scary, but it does seem to slow almost as much as both brakes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mammoth Dreaming, Mammoth Living
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie
    Northrock XC29 with a bell, for leisure riding.

Moderator Moderator
    Took a brutal side swipe slipping off a wet root. Scratched up my knee and elbow. Time to buy those knee and elbow pads I've been wanting for a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I am an idiot. This morning I was riding the canal path on the way to my daily ride - as in I've ridden the area probably a hundred times. It has gates that are usually closed and poles that are spaced for walkers and bikes to get through to prevent cars from using it - just barely enough clearance for wide handlebars.

Anyhoo, I was in a hurry and made the awesome decision to ride through these at about 18mph. Narrowly misjudged my position and clipped a pole by the handlebar. This sent me gingerly careening out of control onto wet pavement - half way attached to the bike still, skidding my tires with both brakes clenched, but not nearly enough time to stop before involuntarily "hopping" a curb, somehow avoiding an endo while stopping dead and wedged myself and bike between a large concrete pole and a signpost.

Think Looney Toons: Wile Coyote. Lucky for the bike, my hip took the brunt of the impact at the pole and now I have a nice palm sized swelling which I am sure will be a hematoma in a couple days. My third in ten years! Definitely not my most idiotic or most serious crash and certainly not my last.

mtbr member
    Rushing to catch up with my buddies, caught the soft edge of the trail and hit a small tree. Went OTB, did a cartwheel and grabbed a tree to keep me from rolling down the hill. My friends didn't believe it till showed them the video:

Only came out with just bruised knee but the girl that saw it definitely though I wrecked bad.

And here's an great screen grab of my buddies OTB. 4 ft drop face first with his bike landing on top of him. Only had a sprained wrist.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    How about the rider?

Moderator Moderator
    After the crash, this showed up later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    After the crash, this showed up later.

That is one spooky photo.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HTR4EVR View Post
    That is one spooky photo.
    Hahaha. It's my leg right above my knee.

Cycologist
    Suuuure it is…
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My last crash ended with me carrying my bike two miles up a cliff I was riding a downhill double black diamond and once I got to the very bottom my front tire folded off the rim and on a skinny boarded bridge thing and I flew off the back and on my back. Luckily no pain, but I still had to carry my bike up the hill a mile and through the field another mile. Funny thing is a wiped out on a jump a mile back and took out a small tree lol (one of those days).

But, I wouldn't take any of it back, it was all apart of the fun of the sport

It's been really hot in the Eastern Sierra, and my body is exhausted from it. I had to get on my bike. My body didn't feel like going my usual fast speed. This caused a lot of problems.

I went over the handlebars on an easy trail I always ride. I got up, looked around, and could not figure out how I managed this. I think I went over a root too slowly and then down into a depression/sand pit with my brake pressed. Usually, I go faster and I think it allows me to jump the root and not drop me right into the pit. On another trail I always have problems on, I somehow drifted into the shoulder of the trail which is really sandy. Slipped off to the right and onto my chest. No big deal, but annoying. This was the same exact spot that I went over the bars a couple of weeks ago. There was a broken tree root coming out of the ground. You could move it back and forth. All I can think of is that I kept snagging it and sent me off the trail. I think my brain was exhausted and I wasn't thinking well enough to pick a good line, combined with too slow of a speed.

Today I rode 30 miles. That's about 20 miles more than I usually ride. And in the heat. It was a fulfilling ride, but definitely not my best.

Mammoth Dreaming, Mammoth Living
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie
    Northrock XC29 with a bell, for leisure riding.

mtbr member
    Going through a rock garden, dropped off a big rock and didn't quite get the front wheel to roll up the next big rock. Over the bars, with the bike doing an endo and a a tail whip for style. As I was attempting my emergency eject over the bike, the tail whip trapped my left leg at the knee between the handle bar and the top tube. This instantly stopped my eject and yanked my upper body to the ground. I had to stick my hands out and land fully on them, which I HATE doing. After landing, I found I couldn't get up because my leg was still trapped between the bar turned full left and the top tube. Tried to turn the bars and they wouldn't budge. Tried to slide my leg out, nope. It took me a good 30 seconds of being trapped before I figured out that the back wheel had landed and wedged itself against a tree in such a way that the bike was locked in place against the ground.

Anyway, the heel of my right hand at the bottom of my thumb got bashed pretty good, no break but sore as hell and my grip is all but gone for now. Also I somehow managed to break the distal on my left middle toe.

Then I got hit in the face by a dragonfly on the way home. lolz.

mtbr member
    I had a pedal strike two days ago that layed me down on top of my bike with my upper lip going into the bar. Cut only the inside of my mouth and bruised a bit. Local trail is like a jungle this year due to heavy rain so I didn't see the embedded rock covered with leaves. A few weeks earlier I got a good pedal tattoo from hitting a stump in the rain covered in leaves causing my foot to slip off.Your most recent crash: How was it?-20160710_120633.jpg
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Rode some quite muddy trails on Sunday... Front wheel got caught in a muddy rut (luckily it was at slowish speed). Ended up head first in some broom and dry gorse. A reasonably soft landing. No damage to person or steed ;-)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Lost control landing a jump at a bike park. Hit the ground at 24mph per Garmin. no memory of the crash as I was knocked unconscious. I was airlifted to the hospital. Concussion, broke two bones in my hand, 5 ribs and 4 vertebrae, bruised a lung, grade 3 separated L shoulder, torn rotator cuff R shoulder. 3 night stay in the hospital and now a 6 month "rest". FML.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Lost control landing a jump at a bike park. Hit the ground at 24mph per Garmin. no memory of the crash as I was knocked unconscious. I was airlifted to the hospital. Concussion, broke two bones in my hand, 5 ribs and 4 vertebrae, bruised a lung, grade 3 separated L shoulder, torn rotator cuff R shoulder. 3 night stay in the hospital and now a 6 month "rest". FML.
    Ouch sorry to hear about that. Maybe use the time to read some classics you've neglected.

mtbr member
    ^^Damn I'll second the consolation on that crash. So very sorry to hear about this. So needless to say you don't need any friends making you laugh when they come over to visit.
    Good healing to you!

mtbr member
    Damn I feel a lot better about my crashes.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    I had a pedal strike two days ago that layed me down on top of my bike with my upper lip going into the bar. Cut only the inside of my mouth and bruised a bit. Local trail is like a jungle this year due to heavy rain so I didn't see the embedded rock covered with leaves. A few weeks earlier I got a good pedal tattoo from hitting a stump in the rain covered in leaves causing my foot to slip off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160710_120633.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1088228
    Oh man! Good one.
    Here's one of my many "pedal tattoos"

mtbr member
    Nice...more blood than mine...a little jealous.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member

I hope you get well soon.

mtbr member
    Trek2422 and noose, You guys need to stop! Are you trying to make RTM feel worse with your little booboo's? Come on give the guy a break.

This one was stupid, and I was in burning pain for a few days. Of course, it could have been a lot worse.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-20160815_174947.jpg

I tried a trail that was rated Advanced. Had my elbow pads in my pack and was carrying it with me. FORGOT to put them on before riding this trail. Rolled down a man-made steep ramp that had a 1 foot drop at the bottom of it into a pit... I was not expecting that.

Went over bars chest and face first into pumice (had a full face helmet) and the bike somehow flew over me and landed about 4 feet away.

Had I had the pads on, I wouldn't have had a single scratch. Such a stupid mistake.

Winner, end thread.

Sorry to hear and hope you heal up quick and without side effects.

mtbr member
    Went off the edge of the trail (no idea why) knocked out, then wandered around for about 10 mins (per the gopro) came to with a bunch of park rangers asking me questions. Concussion, no broken bones amazingly enough. PS. All the blood even came out of the shirt and wife said i could use the credit card to get a new helmet.

mtbr member

😳

Hope you get better soon!

mtbr member
    Took a little digger about a week ago. Lost the front wheel on a dry, powdery downhill turn. (I came into the corner a little faster than I probably should've) Oddly, my glove was somehow torn from my hand as I went down and that hand is of course the first thing that hit the ground. Scraped it up a bit and lightly sprained or bruised some tendons on the pinky side. Finishing the ride was pretty painful and I'm taking a few days off to let it heal a bit...it's still pretty sore but it's coming along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-13873197_563946443789089_5963061972111203884_n.jpg  

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Your most recent crash: How was it?

thanks guys for the well wishes and the laughs. this was a game changer. It is nice to share with people who have some perspective. Like a lot of other aging, ex-mid-pack-at-best downhillers I have turned my attention to trail riding and Enduro racing. so I do several tune-up rides at the bike park as part of the "plan". this was supposed to be an easy one.

Aside from everything else I was having an awesome season of riding. Everything was coming together. Can't really mention that to non-riders as the universal reply is a chuckle and, "well, just be happy..." Which I totally understand, but still, its brutal being taken off the bike.
    Last edited by RTM; 08-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Climbs = necessary evil
    @RTM - I can relate to brutal crashes from what was supposed to be an easy ride. I hope your recovery goes well.

On 7/31, the wife, a friend and myself went out for an easy ride at a local XC trail. I rode the fat bike since the XC bike was getting the rear wheel repaired from the previous weekend. While on a fast and furious flat section that was on a 10-14" wide rutted single track, my front tire got off trail at 22 mph (per my wife's GPS) and when I pulled it back on, I think it spanned the width of the rutted trail and wedged, stopping dead in it's track and whipping me over the bars onto the trail. I broke 7 ribs on my left side, had blood in the lung and air in the chest. Spent 3 days in ICU and an additional day in a standard recovery room.

I had broken 1 rib 2 months before and thought I knew what pain was - I was wrong. I'm still recovering and on OxyContin and OxyCodone, as well as an O2 tank at night. I hope to be off the pain meds in a week or so, as I'm starting to reduce my dosage and frequency now. It'll be at least another month before I'm back on the bike.

Between this wreck and the one 2 months ago, I'll have missed out on 3-4 months (most of the summer) of riding this year.

In 30+ years of riding, these are the only two wrecks to send me to an ER. At 53, I'm hoping theses are the last too. I'm getting too old for this kind of pain from something I do to try to improve my health!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    i just wrecked in the enchanted forest part of apex trail in a narly root and rock section. I tryed to turn out but it was commited to the wrong line haha. Ended up OTB and racked myself on the stem and bars. Check out this video of the wreck the last 45 seconds is the wreck
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM64buKEROo

Quote Originally Posted by codycups13 View Post
    i just wrecked in the enchanted forest part of apex trail in a narly root and rock section. I tryed to turn out but it was commited to the wrong line haha. Ended up OTB and racked myself on the stem and bars. Check out this video of the wreck the last 45 seconds is the wreck
    Very nice! I give you a 10 for the multi-spin rollover!

mtbr member
    Inspiring.

mtbr member
    Awesome video!!

mtbr member
    Went OTB yesterday at a pretty good clip.

I just moved my dropper post bat-lever (X-Fusion) on Saturday and it turns out it wasn't a good spot, because it got stuck under the shifter lever with the post engaged.

As I was bouncing up and down and screwing with the lever to get it unstuck, I took my eyes off the trail, hit a rock and went flying. Landed on my chest and elbow pad and got up with only a swollen top knuckle on my left pointer finger.

My GPS wasn't so lucky. It took the brunt of the impact and the touch screen was not responding after the crash. It had a silicone case on the body and plastic screen protector. Garmin has a $99 flat repair charge for the Edge 800, so I'll see how that works out.

mtbr member
    So uh yesterday sucked. Came down a short DH I hit a ton of times. Blew through the chunky gnar top section crossed the dirt access trail and hit a lone square rock with my front tire right after a root drop. kicked my front tire right, clipped bar end on tree and went OTB when it cocked the bars. I rolled into it and actually rolled right up onto my feet. Got up and right should felt geeked, figured I dislocated it.

Walked out and hit the Dr. to find I have a stage 3 separated shoulder. I hit my shoulder blade first when I rolled and the must have done it. Currently 2 weeks I get rechecked, no surgery needed so far. They will reevaluate that in 2 weeks.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    So uh yesterday sucked. Came down a short DH I hit a ton of times. Blew through the chunky gnar top section crossed the dirt access trail and hit a lone square rock with my front tire right after a root drop. kicked my front tire right, clipped bar end on tree and went OTB when it cocked the bars. I rolled into it and actually rolled right up onto my feet. Got up and right should felt geeked, figured I dislocated it.

Walked out and hit the Dr. to find I have a stage 3 separated shoulder. I hit my shoulder blade first when I rolled and the must have done it. Currently 2 weeks I get rechecked, no surgery needed so far. They will reevaluate that in 2 weeks.
    I'm about 4 weeks ahead of you with the same injury. I'm improving but still a way off until I can rally use the arm. There's a pretty good thread here somewhere. Depending on the person anywhere from 8-12 weeks before you are full strength again. No surgery means the bump never goes away. And you will look deformed. Sucks.

Professional Crastinator
    Not mine, but my daughter's last crash:

We were making our way through an easy trail with a few rocks and obstacles. She aimed for a gap but apparently is not quite used to the wider bars on her new bike yet. Clipped a tree on the left bar which sent her flying right. She went down pretty hard, but landed in the soft pine needles and loamy dirt. She got up crying and I see her right leg managed to find the only rock within 20 ft. buried in the pine needles. We rubbed some dirt on it and kept on. She's really clumsy right now in the middle of yet another growth spurt (new shoes, new bike, new clothes, due for another helmet...) so her legs look like hell. Scrapes, band-aids... just a mess. She's hanging in there, though.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was following a line my buddy just hit in front of me on miracle mile at snow summit, i slipped a pedal and got squirly. It was just a natural reaction to stick my right foot out as a touch and go but there was a big ass rock in the way and I did'nt pick up on the foot. The leg stubbed and I started to tumble, I landed safely off the trail but I had dislocated my right knee. The knee popped back in without much effort, but then I tried to stand I realized I was done for. There was no structure to the joint and my femur and tibia were just having a ball with minds of their own.

Anyway... It has been a few weeks now and I have surgery scheduled for the end of august to delete my ACL and repair my LCL. I'm dying to get back on the bike, I truly love mountain biking and Just want to be in physical therapy already!!

BONUS- this thread inspired me to make a light hearted video of some of my funnier crashes.

Merendon Junkie
    I was riding my rigid hardtail down a rocky washboard type incline. There was a group of girls hiking down the trail so I decided to get real loose to look super "smooooth" riding down. Seems like I over did it with the looseness and my left hand slipped off the grip. I fell to the floor and tumbled as best as I could (like an idiot). One of the girls came running to help me as I was untangling the bike from on top of me. I got up before she got to me with really fast (awkward) movements, re mounted my bike faster than WC cyclocross rider, told her "thanks, I think I tumbled alright" or something stupid like that and got out of there as fast as I could.

mtbr member
    I'm about 4 weeks ahead of you with the same injury. I'm improving but still a way off until I can rally use the arm. There's a pretty good thread here somewhere. Depending on the person anywhere from 8-12 weeks before you are full strength again. No surgery means the bump never goes away. And you will look deformed. Sucks.

3 days in and I have full ROM except straight out and up, can use my arm for a lot of task's and the lump got smaller. Lump isn't much worst than my other side which I broke my collar bone on when I was younger. Tonight I got on the trainer and banged out a hour with no issue. I'm hoping to be on the trail in 30days and riding park by my birthday in mid October.

Quote Originally Posted by vierzwanzig View Post
    I was following a line my buddy just hit in front of me on miracle mile at snow summit, i slipped a pedal and got squirly. It was just a natural reaction to stick my right foot out as a touch and go but there was a big ass rock in the way and I did'nt pick up on the foot. The leg stubbed and I started to tumble, I landed safely off the trail but I had dislocated my right knee. The knee popped back in without much effort, but then I tried to stand I realized I was done for. There was no structure to the joint and my femur and tibia were just having a ball with minds of their own.

Anyway... It has been a few weeks now and I have surgery scheduled for the end of august to delete my ACL and repair my LCL. I'm dying to get back on the bike, I truly love mountain biking and Just want to be in physical therapy already!!

BONUS- this thread inspired me to make a light hearted video of some of my funnier crashes.

You haven't learned your lesson to stay on the designated trails? Ouch!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You haven't learned your lesson to stay on the designated trails? Ouch!
    How else am I going to learn if something is rideable?

Commuter
    We had a youngster hit and injured on the MUP yesterday by an adult riding a Whizzer. It's also nearly hunting season. Coincidence? I think not.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

wanna ride bikes?

took one on the chin

came down a hill on a short section of pavement and was heading back on to dirt, didn't notice it was damp and had a slippery layer of wet mud on it. i just tried to turn a little a leaned very slightly when I lost the front wheel FAST and was on my face before i knew what hit me. i guess i put my hands down and came to a sliding stop on my stomach/chest in the dirt.

quick inventory, before i even moved i knew i smacked my chin on the ground pretty hard just wasn't sure if it hit pavement or dirt. dabbed it on a clean spot on my arm and no blood, well that's good. got to my feet and saw my knee was bleeding pretty good, checked to see if it was a scrape or a gash, scrape so that's good. i was covered in mud, continued to do inventory and didn't find anything major. checked the carbon fork, no damage so that's good.

other than my jaw feeling slightly re-located i was in good shape, nothing really hurt. i feel like that could have been a LOT worse, i was going 15+ mph. in fact it looks like my knee caught the pavement and my chin made it to the dirt, pretty close.

just a scratch but blood running down your leg always makes for a good pic.
    Your most recent crash: How was it?-img_4333.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Took a hard digger yesterday. Familiar trail, found a bit of extra speed with some new lines. Riding the edges of the trail, maintaining momentum. Found a downed tree that was cleared but left close to the edge of the trail. With no time to react, i hit it square with my front wheel. OTB, but it was weird. As the rear wheel was coming up, it felt slow like there may be some time for me to step over the bars and land on my feet. That wasnt the case. When the time came to clear myself of the bike, I felt an instant acceleration. I was able to position myself to roll out of it but my angle was a little too vertical and my right shoulder took a heavy impact on the hard pack. I stood up and saw my water bottle several yards down the trail. There is surely some soft tissue damage to my shoulder. It is very sore and tender. I could barely lift my beer to my mouth after the ride. Some scraped knees and elbow. I will be ordering pads this week.

mtbr member
    Get well soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I went over the bars. There was a deep hole right after a descent that I could not see. I was OK and the bike was OK, so I just continued to ride after the accident.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Front tire washed out in a soft berm at the bottom of a downhill right hand turn. I scorpioned OTB and landed on my head and rolled onto my back, taking a large rock to the lower lumbar section. Scraped my left knee pretty badly too. I was only about 9 miles into a 17 mile loop. My back was sore for a week and I guess I strained my neck muscles so badly I could barely lift my head off the pillow the next morning and it hurt to even swallow. Live to ride another day though!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rocky corner with a drop, I looked down to see my front wheel placement, stupid, stupid, stupid. OTB I went.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Last week I was coming down a main road pretty quick and took a sharp right into the trail entrance. There must have been some loose gravel or something because my bike came out from under me really fast and I couldn't unclip in time. My right elbow took the brunt of the fall. Ended up with stitches and a bad infection. Needed 4 days of antibiotics via IV!
    Your most recent crash: How was it?-img_3178.jpg

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Pedal strike on rock, bucking me off the bike at speed. This happened on the outside of a turn on doubletrack, sending me straight towards a rock wall. My outstretched right hand struck the wall, dislocating the right ring finger at the #2 joint. Again(this happend once before, to another finger), I had to reset the digit before the onset of swelling, making it nearly impossible to reconnect, without surgery.

NOTE TO SELF: Make a fist, on high-speed crashes...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

I rode a new double black diamond called "Smooth Operator" knowing it was significantly above my skill level. I just started doing single blacks slowly this summer. I wanted to try it anyway because why not. I was able to do other double blacks slowly.

I didn't have enough speed to clear the berms and the bottom of the berms were too sandy to ride through enjoyably. Apparently I crashed into a tree trunk which threw me off the berm. I didn't know that until I saw the video. I hit another tree earlier in the video but just leaves.

I got a weird injury. The end of the handlebar impaled my chest on the pec and hurt like hell for about a minute. There was a small circular very red mark, as expected. Over the next week, it grew huge, larger than my fist with these red rings like a bullseye and turned green. Around the same time, I felt sick. I feel better now, but it seems like the muscle must have bled internally or something.

Anyway, I am better now and the bruise looks more human now. I got it on video:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/456563/

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nothing major. Just recently got back into riding and was practicing some wheelies on the paved jogging trail behind our neighborhood. Pulled too far back, lost control and couldn't get my feet down in time. Landed on my right knee and nearly hit my head on a new metal bench that was just installed.
    Just some scraped skin and a little blood. It was funny though because I was literally just 5 minutes back into my maiden voyage on my new to me Kona Blast.

mtbr member
    After thinking to myself I hadn't crashed in a long time, I spazzed out at low speed on a short rocky climb where you have to maneuver around a tree and went down in a heap on my left side into a ditch full of deadfall and boulders. It was one of those fun falls where you're trapped on an off camber incline with your bike on top of you. I just got a cut on my calf and the bike suffered a bent water bottle cage.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Was launching off a 6" lip with a root on the edge. Unfortunately, the front wheel came down in a hole just as the back wheel hit the root. I went otb & face-planted hard in some soft forest loam.I was dazed for a minute, cut my upper lip, & had a bloody nose, but no lasting injuries. After stopping the bleeding, was able to finish the ride. Could have been a lot worse if I had landed a few inches any any direction.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Was heading home from a job when I decided to try a jump I spotted the day before it wasn't anything big just some sidewalk pushed up by roots well my bar clipped a wall nearby which launched me I wasn't going crazy fast but still got beat up. My left elbow and left knee has some road rash, my right hand has a cut between my pinky and ring finger, my right hand lost almost all grip strength for a couple days, there's bruises all over my body and minor cuts/scrapes/ my left knee throbs a bit and hard to walk exp if I stay idle for to long. My bike faired pretty well a few new scrapes, front wheel got a minor wobble nothing I couldn't fix on my truing stand, a bearing in the front wheel somehow came loose and my seat post got turned a bit. Overall it could of been a lot worse Ill probally be riding though that area again soon and when my body's healed enough im taking it again but this time ill be sure to hit it straight on lol.

Tried to do a mild drop but didn't have enough speed. Tried to stop and slid off the edge. OTB ensued. Some scrapes and internal bruising but finished the ride and set a PR on a section. Love this bike and my safety gear.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-982016172755.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Crashed a couple weeks ago riding with friends in Tahoe. Was riding hard in #2 spot in the pack chasing a faster friend on the downhill and my front tire washed out in a blown out section. Next thing I knew I was sliding and slammed to a stop face first into a downed tree. The irony is I had left the chinbar portion of my bell 2r back at the condo. I consider myself really lucky it didn't end up worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Crashed a couple weeks ago riding with friends in Tahoe. Was riding hard in #2 spot in the pack chasing a faster friend on the downhill and my front tire washed out in a blown out section. Next thing I knew I was sliding and slammed to a stop face first into a downed tree. The irony is I had left the chinbar portion of my bell 2r back at the condo. I consider myself really lucky it didn't end up worse.

Good deal on it not being worse! I feel you on the irony. I usually wear arm guards riding the trail I crashed on and on that particular day I forgot them. Now I have a scraped up elbow. I never crash on my elbows or knees until I forget the guards. lol

And here you go in case you need a good laugh.

I'm not sure if I laughed, more like cringed. You're lucky you didn't come out of that worse. And regular speed clips?

I'm not sure if I laughed, more like cringed. You're lucky you didn't come out of that worse. And regular speed clips?
    True. That's what everyone keeps saying. Got lucky I guess. Then again I rode skateboards throughout my childhood so I learned how to fall ages ago. I just don't remember it hurting like it does now.

The full speed version is on my IG account. I'm not sure why I thought I could stop. Just dumb.

True. That's what everyone keeps saying. Got lucky I guess. Then again I rode skateboards throughout my childhood so I learned how to fall ages ago. I just don't remember it hurting like it does now.

The full speed version is on my IG account. I'm not sure why I thought I could stop. Just dumb.
    Same here growing up riding MX and various other extreme sports, you learn early on and instincts take over in crashing. Although not always coming out of it unscathed. Your crash is the very definition of the term "Flying W" or Superman".

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hopefully the bike is okay too.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Hopefully the bike is okay too.
    Yup! It's tough. Just a couple scratches on the chainstay.

Cycologist
    Last weekend I was riding up in the North Georgia mountains around Blue Ridge. Came to a point where the trail crossed a ditch and then the road and decided to stop prior to dropping into the ditch to check traffic. Couldn't get unclipped and toppled over with a loud BONG! I had managed to hit my helmet on a National Park Service marker.

Didn't hurt but later I was getting a beer out of the fridge and I guess I had my head stuck in further than I realize as I somehow managed to stand up and whack my noggin on the roof of the fridge. Had a knot for a few days, maybe I just need to always wear a helmet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-marker_post.jpg  

There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member

Your most recent crash: How was it?

Tried to do a mild drop but didn't have enough speed. Tried to stop and slid off the edge. OTB ensued. Some scrapes and internal bruising but finished the ride and set a PR on a section. Love this bike and my safety gear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	982016172755.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	1098846
    Kudos for trying I such a big drop.

Merendon Junkie
    I just crashed with a glamorous super man coming down a drop in a recent downhill race.

Only very minor injuries and a broken derailleur hanger. Luckily, it was all captured on several angles. The crash happens @1:40, followed by videos taken from bystanders, including slow mo!

I have never been too comfortable in the air but I had this drop down pretty good and had done it several times. I was way more scared about the first two drops with scary gaps. I had a washout some meters before and lost speed, I pedaled to recover it but never assumed the correct stance before the drop. I felt off balance and I froze.

The front wheel held up fine, 100%true after that. Carbon rims are tough, and can work like a spring board too!

This took place in La Ceiba, Honduras. Notice the ocean view and the banana trees.

Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    I just crashed with a glamorous super man coming down a drop in a recent downhill race.

Only very minor injuries and a broken derailleur hanger. Luckily, it was all captured on several angles. The crash happens @1:40, followed by videos taken from bystanders, including slow mo!

I have never been too comfortable in the air but I had this drop down pretty good and had done it several times. I was way more scared about the first two drops with scary gaps. I had a washout some meters before and lost speed, I pedaled to recover it but never assumed the correct stance before the drop. I felt off balance and I froze.

The front wheel held up fine, 100%true after that. Carbon rims are tough, and can work like a spring board too!

This took place in La Ceiba, Honduras. Notice the ocean view and the banana trees.
    You cased the landing. Meaning you landed on the flat part of the ramp. The landing ramp wasn't designed very good to begin with. There is little to no downhill slope to it. On the bright side at least you had a caring spectator ready to give you immediate attention.

mtbr member

I knew it was the tropic.

Merendon Junkie
    You cased the landing. Meaning you landed on the flat part of the ramp. The landing ramp wasn't designed very good to begin with. There is little to no downhill slope to it. On the bright side at least you had a caring spectator ready to give you immediate attention.
    It may not be evident in the video but the landing ramp was pretty decent. I had done the jump smoothly several times before. I think was got me there was that I panicked when I saw I was landing on the edge of the ramp.

That spectator is my fiance. I guess she didnt have much of a choice, she feared for the integrity of her future children!

Cheers

No Clue Crew
    I love that I hear only a few words and it's Spanish (I assume) and after the wreck the first word is definitely English (Assuming again we created that lovely word!)

mtbr member
    OTB, cracked/broken ribs 6 weeks ago... i'm pretty much sorted now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Crashed three times today, my new record!

1. I just didn't pay attention, front wheel dipped into a hole. OTB.
    2. Slippery steep descent. I braked at the wrong time. Went down sideways.
    3. Failed to carry enough speed over small rocky gap. Semi OTB.

Lesson learnt: if you brake, you're doing something wrong :-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Riding a small peak here in so cal yesterday morning, nothing but shale like loose rock and pebbles up there, took a nice slide out on a steep drop. Can't believe I didn't get a pinch flat up there running the temporary tubes

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Pretty lame clipping a tree, but definitely the reason why you shouldn't fixate on where you don't want to go...

I usually figure if I'm not crashing occasionally it means I'm not pushing myself enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnBiker View Post
    Pretty lame clipping a tree, but definitely the reason why you shouldn't fixate on where you don't want to go...

I usually figure if I'm not crashing occasionally it means I'm not pushing myself enough.
    Or not looking far enough down the trail, but you run with that. It makes things more fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtnBiker View Post

It's quite obvious why that crash happened. You were riding with only one fork leg.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-26-2016 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Last one, I clipped my left bar and a tree branch that was stiffer than I expected and it wrenched the bike out from under me. I fell into some dusty loam and pine needles.

No pain or injuries. Just a bit annoyed to have to reset the position of my dropper lever.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lost it coming off a jump. First thing that hit was my right sholder. Level 3 AC joint separation. This occurred on September 30. Going thru PT now and hope I get to go back to work at the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcwall View Post
    Lost it coming off a jump. First thing that hit was my right sholder. Level 3 AC joint separation. This occurred on September 30. Going thru PT now and hope I get to go back to work at the end of the month.
    Did mine end of August. I park for a full day yesterday with no issues. Stick to stretching and PT and it will get better fast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    took a good spill Saturday and ruined my first wheel. Was going downhill and got lucky I landed on my back and not my head

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast