Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    pedal,pedal,pedal
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    Out riding with my son, I'm 44. I was showing him how to ride this nasty rock garden, I've cleaned it 4 out 10 times. I was not planning on riding it. After he attempted 4 tries, I did the old "Want to see the old man do it?"

Of course he said yes.....I cleaned 90% of it, had one section to go and up and over the bars I go. He had to peel the bike off me. I had to pick some rocks out of my arm and leg was sore all over.

Ended up at Urgent care with a fractured wrist, cuts, scratches...... Good thing I have some fat on me or I would have most likely broke some ribs too.

He has seen me crash more than anyone I know
    Hope you have a speedy recovery bud. And I am a take a wild guess here... crime scene?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had a nice clipless fall on a rock ledge. The times I wish I wore a thin knee pad for XC riding

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Pretty bad. I crashed in a steep rock garden pre-riding for a race and broke my wrist, sore ribs, back, and cuts all over my right elbow, knee and even my foot. Ironically I have crashed there before during a race but I was able to keep riding. It shook my confidence and yet I cannot wait to ride again. I will return to the scene and clean it as I have several times before. I went to Urgent Care and was pretty bloody. My wife was not impressed.

The wrist is only an avulsion fracture so I'm supposed to wear a splint, but I have been not wearing it much after a couple days and trying to get range back. Ribs are really hurting but not broken. Hard to believe because they hurt like hell. I am hopeful to start riding this week. I am super driven and competitive but at 54 years old I need to realize I have a day job, am not a paid XC Pro but rather a CAT2 amateur, and this is supposed to be fun right? I cannot afford to be seriously injured and I was lucky. So I need to reel myself in a bit.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerod553 View Post
    Hope you have a speedy recovery bud. And I am a take a wild guess here... crime scene?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    HA! No, actually a technical rock garden at QW, towards the end...
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    You must be really bored if you have read this entire post.

mtbr member
    This is what happens when a 51 year old XC rider with no dirt jump experience thinks he's a 19 year old dirt jumper on the rocky trails at Coldwater, in Anniston, AL.

Nothing serious other than a half dozen scrapes, some bruises, a dented helmet, and a bruised ego.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-knee.jpg

Commuter
    Doesn't count, but I crashed pretty hard after a five day 4 country road trip. Apparently if you go five days and only sleep 15 hours, your body revolts against you.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Worst one was two broken ribs. Second worst was a separated shoulder.

mtbr member
    Talking about crashing. This is a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mountain, a lake, a trail, all waiting there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I was rolling up to my truck the other day after a badass fall free ride. Yelled "heck ya" to my buddy hit my brakes real hard then fell into the side of the truck and hit the rocky pavement hard. I had forgotten to unclip. It was immediately funny despite the pain

mtbr member
    I discovered there are porcupines that inhabit my favorite local trail. I came around the corner and there was one chilling right on the edge of the trail.

I panicked and didn't want to hit it so I over corrected left only to realize that put me in the path of a small stump or root system for an old bush that used to be there. What ever it was it grabbed onto my tire and sent me OTB.

I landed on my right side and when I rolled over the porcupine was just sitting there looking at me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ENDO!!!
    I was having a great ride jumping off of every thing I could use as a jump and was coming towards the end of my ride and I saw a rock that looked like a perfect jump. Didn't pay any attention to the landing area. I sped up, hit it and landed. right after the landing is a tangled mess of roots. I locked up the brakes, skipped into the roots where my front wheel was stopped dead. OTB but landed on my feet laughing my ass off!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Last Saturday, looking for a short cut to a cascade at el dorado national forest. I stuck the front tire in a hole covered with pine needles and WOB. It was a soft landing anyway.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    My last crash was a good one. Wish I had a go-pro. First ride on my fatty in the snow. 2nd ride on the fatty total.Was on very familiar trail in Arnold MD. On a nice decent there are 2 3" trees no the sides of the trail you go between. I am normally on a C-dale F29 lefty so she is skinny and fast. This day I was on my new Origin8 fatty and she is fat and semi fast. Just as my front wheel started to go between the trees I thought I may not make this! I was Correct!! Left pedal hooked the tree with about the last inch of pedal and it was good night gracie. The bike turned into a helicopter blade and I landed on my shoulder and hand. Bike was about 10 feet past me. It was an insane crash. Bike was ok so I rode another 2.5 hrs and then went to the ER. Sprained shoulder and left hand. That was 2/15 and the hand is still kinda hosed up. Guess I know now why they call em FAT!
    I forgot about this thread...

My last crash was stupid. 3rd in line of at least 50 riders, about 5 minutes into a 25 mile singletrack ride and I caught my left fatbike pedal on a tree as my handlebar just narrowly missed. It jacked me over the bars and I landed on my right arm/shoulder. I was going just fast enough to transition into short roll instead of just body slamming to a dead stop, but my arm cracked a couple ribs on impact. I rolled off the trail to avoid getting run over, then had to wait for about 50 guys to ride past before I found an opening to get back under way. The ribs weren't bad that day, but the two days after were very tender, then I over-stretched and re-injured one of them about a week later. Feeling about 80% now and trying to be careful. I guess Q-factor IS a factor.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I had my own stupid crash last week. I had a simple 2-foot drop, which I could have cautiously rolled with the seat down or carried a little speed and popped-off it. Instead, I half-wheelied it and nose-dived into the ground before my rear wheel cleared and I landed on my shoulder and head, punching myself in the ribs with a fist-wrapped handlebar on the way past. I shook it off alright, but I need to get back on that trail and live down that sad showing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well. I have my stupid one today by being too relax on a technical switchback and getting thrown in to the bushes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HTR4EVR View Post
    Well. I have my stupid one today by being too relax on a technical switchback and getting thrown in to the bushes.

It's usually the small pebble that trips one up.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    It's usually the small pebble that trips one up.

#1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    Very true.

mtbr member
    Checkout July issue of Mountain Bike Action and you will see me wrecking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-picture0530161756_1.jpg  

beater
    Not my crash, but I was there to see it. My GF had a really bad OTB on Saturday. She's hit four-foot drops in the skills park on her cross bike, so neither of us expected a two footer to cause problems on a mountain bike ride, but sometimes things just go south. She shattered her scapula, broke her clavicle and four ribs, snapped four spinous processes on her thoracic vertebrae, and had a very small pneumothorax. Waiting for and waving in an air ambulance is an experience I'd rather not repeat. She might be able to ride again in two months, but is looking at six to nine for a full recovery.

mtbr member
    Best wishes to your girlfreind evasive.

Can't remember which was which, my last was either ending up on a lip that had been padded with sofa seat bases which had me thinking "ah, thats why they are there." Either that or a gentle 2 wheel drift into a bush, both quite comfortable soft experiences with no damage done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yikes, Evasive. Hope she heals up well.

mtbr member
    Slow speed otb was trying to climb a loose dirt hill with some loose rocks stood up and leaned over my bars a bit when my rear tire lost all traction my bike lost all forward momentum and i went over the bars ended up looking a little like a turtle on its back I was still clipped in.

mtbr member
    May 2014

I was jra, when...

Last week coming home from work, hit up my moniker and was jra, when this a-hole tree came up from behind a took a swipe.
    It had falled since my last visit, so was not expecting it to be there, lurking in the shadows, leaning into the trail, right at the apex.
    I swear I cleared the most offending feature, leering out dagger-like, at shoulder height (standing on the pedals).
    But the next thing I know, my bike has skittered out from under me, my fav barcalona jersey is destroyed, there's a couple 4-8" shards of dried wood on the ground, and my back looks like it's been decorated by a rabid chihuahua.
    What I learned:
    1) the branch I saw had an evil twin brother, just behind
    2) I may have cut the corner a bit too close- usually I just hit my backpack
    3) getting scraped in the back whilst cornering is kind of cool. kind of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-img_1089.jpg  

"I may not be fast descending, but I'm pretty slow climbing."

26 ain't dead
    10 stitches in my arm and some creative first aid. Plenty of road rash and a bruised hip and ribs. Clipped a stump with my pedal on a fast downhill section of trail. Stump was cut about 8" above the ground and had a bunch of new spring offshoots growing that hid it. Poor job by the forest service when building the trail. I'll be going back out to cut it flush.

Hitting a stump with your pedal is like a bomb exploding underneath the bike...

Brackish
    OTB off a little drop at Highland last weekend, went ass over teakettle and landed in the bushes. Just goes to cement the rule, Commit or Eat ****.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Riding up one of our more technical hills, Atalaya, I unexpected spun up the rear climbing over some large, loose baby heads and when the bike regained traction it spit me right over the bars. I landed with full body weight right on my ribs on top of a boulder. I think I cracked a rib or two F**K!

mtbr member
    I got behind a slower rider, sat down in a s turn section and started loosing the front tire. I put my foot down to slide and caught a rock with my heel. Fractured tibial plateau, fracture where the ACL attaches, MRI later this week to see what soft tissue damaged was done. Either way I'm out for the summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    I got behind a slower rider, sat down in a s turn section and started loosing the front tire. I put my foot down to slide and caught a rock with my heel. Fractured tibial plateau, fracture where the ACL attaches, MRI later this week to see what soft tissue damaged was done. Either way I'm out for the summer.
    Is like a crackhead without his crack..
    For 3 months.
    That's gotta suxk!!
    Wish you a speedy recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Where do I start! Lately crashes have been on every ride. Since the thread says latest crash here we go.

I was going down this trial at a pretty good pace for me and my Kona Kickapu. Hitting corners like a champ. Then I started down this little down hill, so building up some speed. The trail started veering to the right and there was a nice washed out portion in the middle. Well I started looking at it thinking don't go there. Next thing I know I'm slamming hitting the ground with my shoulder. Lucky for me I landed in some nice tall grass with no snakes in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Ouch...good luck with that one. I've read about numerous nightmares with the tibial plateau fracture.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member

Your most recent crash: How was it?

Not sure how I missed this thread last fall. I've been catching up here and nearly pissed my pants a few times LOL!
    Well it seems like I'm constantly have close calls like clipping my bars on trees at speed 5 times on a solo 30+ mile backcountry ride this past Memorial Day but thankfully no crashes. You know what they say? Mountain biking is just a series of linked recoveries and sometimes that's how it feels but luckily not to often for me.
    My last good crash was last summer on a trip with a buddy a couple months after I built my new Following. I literally built my buddy's bike for him the night before we left, it was my (NIB) frame and some of my parts that I sold him for his build. I also did some last minute changes on my bike, kinda in a hurry, spacers under stem etc. Two days later we're riding this chunky section of the blue trail which is an easy black and I'm approaching this foot high root step up between two trees and I whack the right side tree and go down. I'm like wtf, I've never had that happen here before. I dust myself off and keep riding. A couple minutes later I come up to this armored drainage crossing, again nothing really tough about it, mostly point and shoot through this fairly sharp granite guarded slot with this biggest pointy rock on the right. So I give'r and damn, I slam right into the biggest rock on the right, stall, go to dab on my right and nothing but air. Over I go, tumble into the drainage landing on pack and knee pads. I get up and I'm ok, my buddy rides up now and helps me up, no real damage to me but that wasn't the case with the bike. My biggest fear with riding carbon mountain bikes has always been dropping the bike on sharp rocks and crushing a tube. Yep, you guessed it, the first real kinda chunky ride and I ghacked the down tube deep enough that Kevin Walsh said it was terminal and they'd do a crash replacement. I still rode it a while afterwards before I got the crash replacement FT. I did a repair as it as it was in the biggest part of the DT and still really strong.
    Moral of the story? Make sure you aren't rushing too much when you're working on your bike and make damn sure your stem and bars are aligned straight and not skewed off to the left like I had mine. The next day I was riding it and I looked down at my bars while riding this mellow flat trail and I was like; you dumb arss, I could finally see that my 50mm stem and bars where pointing slightly off to the left. Dooh
    That's what I get for being in a hurry. Lucky I wasn't hurt, physically anyway!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sometimes, I'll go months without crashing. Lately that has not been the case though. I guess it all evens out.

High speed corner I was looking through the exit of. Inside handlebar snags a 1" sapling, it jerks my bars around and shoots me across the trail into a 2 foot maple tree head on. Really no time to react, luckily my helmet took the brunt of it. I saw a big flash of light so I think I rocked myself pretty good.

My buddy was ahead of me and came back, I asked him if there is a mark on my face because it feels like there is. He said, oh yeah! you have a mark.

Reminds me of Chris Farley....doesnt hurt here, or here...but right here. Nope, notta mark!

mtbr member

It is obvious.

Some jerk rear ended my car. A total loss.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    It is obvious.

Hopefully insurance will make things better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    https://www.facebook.com/thebestpage...4344000641055/

Hope this works, this is definitely a trainwreck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Hopefully insurance will make things better.
    It will, thanks.

mtbr member
    It's been about three months since this happened. I was riding my favorite trail and the third creek crossing (which is by no means difficult), I missed the line and the trail by a mere 4" well, outside the trail the opposing creek bank is VERY soft. Instead of the tire rolling up it sunk deep into the bank. It left me in the precarious position of being absolutely vertical for a long enough time I began to ponder how I might land. Instead of going OTB, I crashed down on the left side on the slightly raised berm of the trail I had just missed.
    Some minor scrapes on the left arm(I landed on) and calf and 2 bruised ribs which took about 8 weeks to finally heal completely. There are definitely areas on the trail that will teach you harshly NOT to miss the line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Riding up one of our more technical hills, Atalaya, I unexpected spun up the rear climbing over some large, loose baby heads and when the bike regained traction it spit me right over the bars. I landed with full body weight right on my ribs on top of a boulder. I think I cracked a rib or two F**K!
    Yep, cracked 2 ribs and bruising all around. Later I discovered I had a very sever deep thigh contusion. Good thing I got some hydrocodone. Sleeping would be impossible otherwise! I will be off the bike for at least 10 days.

I hope everyone else heals up quickly. This is a scary thread!

mtbr member
    It is obvious.

That sucks! The worst kind of wreck. I'm sorry this happened to you. Let me guess, he was texting and driving?

I hope you get things squared around quickly.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes

Darn, it's a shame that new 2016 S-Works Carbon Enduro with Olins suspension and top-line everything got vaporized beyond recognition in the accident.

Professional Crastinator
    Oh man, the smashed Zion almost made me cry.

...but my ribs are almost healed, thankyouverymuch.
    I nearly re-did them yesterday, though.

A local trail was recently opened for alternating directions on alternating days. I'd ridden it backwards before, but it was either at night, or in the Winter. This time it was hero dirt in bright sunshine so I was really carving into it on my fatbike. With a 1/2 mile to go I ever so briefly took my attention off my line to see how far it was to this steep short punch-up, and my front tire caught the end of a log that was hidden on the edge of the trail right on the exit of a turn. The handlebars nearly ripped out of my hands as I went kind of sideways OTB. In effort to keep my recently healed ribs safe I prepared to tuck and roll and the bike somehow came back under me. My right forearm went right in between the tire and the back of the fork arch. I could feel the tire squishing and conforming around my arm, but it popped out as quick as it went in. I have to think that's what it would feel like to be bitten by a large rubber dog. I think I got a handlebar to the gut too, but overall it was not bad. Dusted off and managed to ride the last 1/2 mile clean.

-F

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What a bummer on the Zion! I haven't seen one of those in quite a while, but I remember when JensonUSA was blowing them out.

Hopefully you don't have to use your Homeowner or renter insurance to cover the bike. At the very least try and pad in another $2k to cover a new bike. But usually the auto insurance won't cover the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    That sucks! The worst kind of wreck. I'm sorry this happened to you. Let me guess, he was texting and driving?

I hope you get things squared around quickly.
    Yeah, if you can get coverage for the bike then make sure it was all XX1, XTR, or whatever, enve wheels

mtbr member
    Thank you guys. It was covered and replaced.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i haven't crashed in a while but looking at scars on my shin and arms I see Chariot canton, oriflame canyon, devil's staircase, crest ridge when it was a rutted fall line, blood hill, E Ticket, and the scars go on and on...

mtbr member

Last Friday. In town saw my bro. Going slow had a High five FAIL. Bruised left pectoral and a little eyebrow smack with no helmet . Kinda Bloody. Didn't hurt but nice shiner to explain at work Monday morning.

Keep on Truckin'

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    First time riding clipless this past weekend, you guys know where this is going

Riding the Allegrippis trails at Raystown lake, heading back to the car on one of the easiest trails there, came to the small rocky section with my girlfriend riding behind me quite a ways back, looked over my shoulder to warn her of the rocky section and as I looked back the front wheel caught the edge of a rock just right and skipped off the side, I couldn't get unclipped quick enough and just like slow motion, tipped over against a tree. I just kind of perched myself against the tree until I could stop laughing at myself. My girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed it also

@njcshreds
    My first time shredding a 20" in 7 or 8 years led to me crashing on a 20" for the first time in 7 or 8 years. One thigh and one knee (opposite legs of course) have some primo bruises. Right wrist is a bit tight and a few scrapes. I was running through a small local pump track and I was trying to add a little style and didn't get myself straightened out.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr memeber
    I haven't crashed in a while, but 3 days ago I was at the end of a ride, tired, almost back to the car, and riding extremely conservatively on a section of trail I've ridden with no problems multiple times. Downhill s-bend on the brakes and I go straight off the line into some foliage and low side it. Pretty sizeable but shallow dirt rash on the shin and some on the arm, but I think my ego took the largest blow. I think if I'd been riding just slightly more aggressively it wouldn't have happened. I should know better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Was taking a blind drop-in to the half-pipe feature at a system called Fantasy Island. Bottomed-out, and it was all I could do to just hang on to the bars. Ended up taking a broadside barrage from a rock alongside the trail. Think the bike took it harder than I did unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndSoItIs View Post
    Think the bike took it harder than I did unfortunately.
    Crash protocol

1. Check the bike
    2. Check your gear
    3. Check your self

mtbr member
    Crash protocol

1. Check the bike
    2. Check your gear
    3. Check your self

Maybe when I was younger. I skip right to #3 now, screw the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Maybe when I was younger. I skip right to #3 now, screw the bike.
    I know, save the skin first. Same for me.

Commuter
    I always use ISWC. Inhale, swear, wiggle toes, check stuff.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Too Close

Your most recent crash: How was it?-nose.jpg

I guess that this is an accident-I surely did not do it on purpose: Rode too close to the sun yesterday.

mtbr member
    Crash protocol

1. Check the bike
    2. Check your gear
    3. Check your self

You're silly...lol!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I always use ISWC. Inhale, swear, wiggle toes, check stuff.
    I add "count my teeth" to that checklist.

mtbr member
    On the last washout I just laid there and whimpered.
    Damn.

Danger Zone
    Misjudged the distance between two trees, caught the handlebars, landed on rocks. Nothing serious, but my knee might be the size of a watermelon tomorrow.

mtbr member
    No rain here in GA for a while now. Some of the dirt has become extremely dry and sand like. I came around a corner too hot and my front wheel washed out from under me. slight hip bruise and scrapped knee. Derailleur side was up so bike was fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    There was a fairly sizable constructed drop right after a turn that lands onto a steep fairly narrow piece of trail. I was too focused on the drop and not where I was landing so I didn't pay much attention to my front wheel not being lined up with the trail properly. Bounced a little off a fern when I landed, recovered and went right off the trail on the other side into bushes, which included a fair bit of poison oak. Thankfully it padded the fall, unfortunately it was poison oak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVoR8DOP00

mtbr member
    What about when you stall over some rocks, uncleat the wrong side and land in your butt.

MTB B'dos
    Not one who normally pushes my limits, know right where the edge is and keep it just inside that, until last weekend, have a DH trail with a section through 2 slightly staggered trees that are not much wider than my bars, have been going through faster and faster recently.

Lead off the group and went down the first fast part,speedo said 23.6mph, slight Son a bit of flat before it points back down steep again through the trees, did not brake for that, headed through the trees doing prob 20mph, thought I was through, but seems I just barely clipped the tree on the left and my bike went absolutely crazy, tossed me off to the right into a 4" tree, back first and then I continued on down the scrub/small trees on the side of the trail for another 15ft.

Completely knocked the wind out of me, think my pack took a lot of the tree impact, but still did my ribs in pretty god, jammed my foot into the ground at some point good and overall pulled I think most every muscle, but still caught myself, got up and finished the ride (about 7 miles) which involved 2 more nice DHs and 1 nasty climb. Did not think I'd done too bad, did not feel too bad at the end of the ride, then I woke up Monday morning and was in some good pain everywhere.

Feel very lucky to have gotten away so lucky after being ejected into trees at that speed and come away with basically just soreness, no bruising or swelling anywhere and I'm good to go for this weekend already, all be it a bit mellower than usual since my whiplash is still affecting being able to look around. Had taken a different and harder climb up and guys were delayed, so I was left to wait 15 minutes for them, so got cold, don't know if that assisted.

Not for fvck, I own a Banshee, it can take a hit and it can be replaced easily if it doesn't with just some $$, that used to be me when I first started

Crash protocol
    1. Check the bike
    2. Check your gear
    3. Check your self
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

I was approaching a climb, not a huge climb. Get some speed, table top and ride the ridge back down. I took a different angle on approach, over shot and crashes down on the top of the rock ridge. Superman Landed on right hand palm, sprained it, cut it open, skinned up left knee cap (wearing pads), skin side of face, chest and bruised the other knee. Damn it hurt!! Lol

Last edited by Trek2422; 07-02-2016 at 04:04 AM.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FPtheBored View Post
    There was a fairly sizable constructed drop right after a turn that lands onto a steep fairly narrow piece of trail. I was too focused on the drop and not where I was landing so I didn't pay much attention to my front wheel not being lined up with the trail properly. Bounced a little off a fern when I landed, recovered and went right off the trail on the other side into bushes, which included a fair bit of poison oak. Thankfully it padded the fall, unfortunately it was poison oak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVoR8DOP00
    That was nice to watch. Some Tecnu will heal the rash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Too late for Tecnu. That's for cleaning up right after exposure. It washes it away and sucks the oil out of your skin. After it has soaked in and gotten into your system, the Tecnu will simply dry things out, but won't heal the rash. Good stuff to keep in your mtb kit, however, for post-ride cleanup as needed.

mtbr member
    I think every one reacts different to poison oak. For me Tecnu works every time but my reaction to PO is mild.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    First wed night race of the year, ~1hr 4laps XC. Didn't preride the full course. About 5min into first lap I was trying to hang on to main pack. Berm right... roller... berm left... off camber right with loose over hard = down fast. Threw the chain, bloodied up the knee, and at least 10ppl went by. Good times

mtbr member
    To be honest, all I remember is thinking I'm going down and I needed to pull my arm back or I was going to break my arm. When the film started playing in my head again I was sitting on the ground drinking water from my pack and spitting out blood, wondering why I was at this park. I knew where I was, but no idea why I was there. Some guy rolled up on me and called the park ranger, and they called an ambulance. By the time they loaded me up, I had my head back on straight but was a mess. It all happened pretty fast. According to someone that was there as they were loading me into the ambulance, he said it looked like my front tire washed out in some gravel. It was a downhill with a slight right bend to it. I've ridden it a bunch of times already and never had a hint of a problem. I'm getting a little old for this kind of wreck, but god help me, I do love riding. Slight concussion, several fractures around my eye, sinus and cheek, a ton of road rash but very much alive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your most recent crash: How was it?-13567389_10208606956085439_6452528415698758190_n.jpg  

Your most recent crash: How was it?-13494794_10208555308634285_5085472519585534501_n.jpg  

We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyguy1001 View Post
    To be honest, all I remember is thinking I'm going down and I needed to pull my arm back or I was going to break my arm. When the film started playing in my head again I was sitting on the ground drinking water from my pack and spitting out blood, wondering why I was at this park. I knew where I was, but no idea why I was there. Some guy rolled up on me and called the park ranger, and they called an ambulance. By the time they loaded me up, I had my head back on straight but was a mess. It all happened pretty fast. According to someone that was there as they were loading me into the ambulance, he said it looked like my front tire washed out in some gravel. It was a downhill with a slight right bend to it. I've ridden it a bunch of times already and never had a hint of a problem. I'm getting a little old for this kind of wreck, but god help me, I do love riding. Slight concussion, several fractures around my eye, sinus and cheek, a ton of road rash but very much alive!
    Ouch. Front tire wash outs are the worst. Heal up quickly!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Crazy how you can see the helmet protection line. Happy to hear you're on the mend.

mtbr member
    Sleepyguy, Sorry to hear this, a quick and full recovery to you!
    Oh yeah stop that.

mtbr member
    Thanks all, I'll be okay just out of action for a few weeks. The doc said six weeks for the fractures to heal and my bride has laid down the law. I'm out of the woods riding for at least that long. I'm not going to argue with her, my riding scares her silly but she smiles and wishes me luck when I head out. I've talked her out of wanting me to wear a full face helmet. Arriving shortly compliments of Giro's crash replacement program.

Name:  Giro_H_Montaro_MatteWhiteLime_34_MIPS.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  18.9 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Last crash was a week ago, and I feel like the king of stupid. In order to get to the national trail, there is an underpass that goes under a major east-west highway. There is a sharp drop on the south side, and a mellower drop on the north side. After a great 12 mile ride, I saw one of the riders from my neighborhood about 150 yards ahead, going down the mellow drop, and I hurried to catch him so we could ride back to the neighborhood together. The underpass itself is paved concrete, but on both sides, there is a build up of very loose dirt. I came in hot, went way too far to my left, hit the loose dirt, and the bike just slid out from under me. I managed to clear the bike, but my noggin hit the hard concrete twice. No bruises, no marks, scratches on me or the bike, no concussion. I have done this drop at least 200 times, and this is the first time that I ever fell. Really glad I was wearing a helmet. I came down this drop yesterday, at speed, and saw exactly where it happened, as I could still see the outline of the dirt that I had pushed away last week. I feel stupid and lucky at the same time.

Moderator Moderator
    What about when you stall over some rocks, uncleat the wrong side and land in your butt.

Exactly what happened to me...except I fell to the left hugging a tree. That was fun...

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    multiple facial fractures, seperated shoulder, 8 stitches above my eye, was knocked out for 3 hours and had a massive concussion
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    multiple facial fractures, seperated shoulder, 8 stitches above my eye, was knocked out for 3 hours and had a massive concussion
    Did you ride off the top of a building?!

You and sleepyguy should not ride together.

Heal well!

I had more of just a fall today, but I thought it would be funny to log all of my get-offs and see how many posts I have in this thread by the end of the season.

Early morning, dual lights blazing, riding a trail I have memorized cold, 5 minutes in...

Hit a downhill right hander at something like fast running speed (not Usain Bolt speed) and someone had carved off the false bench at the edge of the trail to improve the drainage. My front tire went right off and I went right down on my right handlebar and knee. It was the abrupt stop that shocked me - I barley slid an inch. Just WHAM. Took the knee right outta my pants and a little skin outta my knee, but nothing to cry about.

Careful out there!

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyguy1001 View Post
    I'm getting a little old for this kind of wreck, but god help me, I do love riding. Slight concussion, several fractures around my eye, sinus and cheek, a ton of road rash but very much alive!
    Wishing you a quick recovery.

Wishing you two a speedy recovery...

I have started wearing my Bell Super 2R full face helmet more often and now it doesn't feel much different than my Bell Stoker half-lid. The pictures of all these facial injuries makes it easier for me to slip on the fall face.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I stopped before this skinny to move a big limb that had fallen in the trail. I knew this would make it harder to get momentum for the skinny, but figured I'd be okay. On this thing, momentum is my friend and I don't have the skills to pedal across it.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-skinny1.jpg

And this is how I ended up.......under the bike, with the bike resting nicely right up against the tree. I just rode it right over into the creek and upside down....real slow, real soft and laughing at myself the whole way.

Your most recent crash: How was it?-skinny2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jonas_24112 View Post
    I stopped before this skinny to move a big limb that had fallen in the trail. I knew this would make it harder to get momentum for the skinny, but figured I'd be okay. On this thing, momentum is my friend and I don't have the skills to pedal across it.

And this is how I ended up.......under the bike, with the bike resting nicely right up against the tree. I just rode it right over into the creek and upside down....real slow, real soft and laughing at myself the whole way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skinny2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	1080473
    Awesome! Haha

Rabid Lana fan
    This was actually 4 years ago, not too recent.

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    This was actually 4 years ago, not too recent.

Excuse me while I I don't mean to laugh at your pain but damn that vid was hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rabid Lana fan
    It was OK....just some scraped knees and bruised ego.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What's all this crashing stuff? Cut it out, keep the rubber side down. Rocks be painful and gravity is a harsh mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    It was OK....just some scraped knees and bruised ego.
    Twice..

Points for trying it over again.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    Exactly what happened to me...except I fell to the left hugging a tree. That was fun...
    No tree for me, only a sharp rock.

Mine was so stupid I filmed it. A simple slide out that I haven't done for years. I got too close to the edge of the trail and the front wheel went off a lip and into the loose. The result was a front tire wash out at high speed.

Bobcat Ridge: Carnage on the Ridge. 10-17-15 Video - Pinkbike

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-07-2016 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Wishing you two a speedy recovery...

I have started wearing my Bell Super 2R full face helmet more often and now it doesn't feel much different than my Bell Stoker half-lid. The pictures of all these facial injuries makes it easier for me to slip on the fall face.
    Thanks! I looked at the Bell Super R2 helmet, and actually liked it, but I couldn't pass up the deal and fit of the Giro from the replacement program. In the back of my mind I could also see myself saying, well...it's too hot today for the chin bar, and then getting comfortable without it. Hopefully I don't regret my decision!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    Three hours? Geez man, I wasn't challenging you! LOL Hope you heal up well and quickly!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I'm doing great. Slow rolling around the neighborhood already. Much to my brides annoyance :~)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Okay, I was flying down a double track lonking two single tracks, on a "quick lunch ride" during work. I drifted into a rut sideways and it sent me flying. I jumped up, got right back on and contiuned, pissed...it felt like normal post wreck scrapes on my leg....then I looked down....must have hit a rock. To the ER.....

Your most recent crash: How was it?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    -and I thought my knee gash was a bit gnarly, so what kind of pads are you getting?

This is probably my least favorite thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    -and I thought my knee gash was a bit gnarly, so what kind of pads are you getting?

This is probably my least favorite thread.
    That is funny....how did you know about the kneepads? Never worn them before, as soon as I got back from the ED today, I ordered Alpinestar Paragons. Never worn a knee pad before while riding. That is changing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    That is funny....how did you know about the kneepads?
    Because I started shopping for some as soon as my knee was stitched up, I had never worn them before either.

Complacency, short memory span, and excuses like "it's too hot" have caused me to stop wearing them recently though, which I'm sure I'll someday regret.

Get well soon!

mtbr member
    Tuesday night. Slipped off a sweaty rock down a drop and knee onto a sharp one. Bunch of stitches inside, 7 outside. It's now Thursday and I'm currently on my way to ride dh for 4 days....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    Tuesday night. Slipped off a sweaty rock down a drop and knee onto a sharp one. Bunch of stitches inside, 7 outside. It's now Thursday and I'm currently on my way to ride dh for 4 days....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Knee Pads ;-)

Damage: 14' Kona Process 134, 12' Transition Bandit 29er
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    After those knee pictures I'll be wearing my knee pads for sure.

mtbr member
    Pedaling uphill @ about 6 or 8mph, out of the saddle, front wheel kicks up stick which wedged against the fork, causing otb. Somehow in the process the bike pivots around so the saddle is in front of me, nose pointing towards me. Nutted myself hard on said saddle nose, laid down and whimpered for about 5 minutes, contemplated turning around and going home, changed my mind and continued on.

1st wreck in about 1000 miles so if that gives me a pass for the next 1000 I'm going to call it a "good" crash.

mtbr member
    Riding to pub/car along road... saw a nice grassy knoll and thought I'll boost the curb and run up/down it for kicks ^^

As I ascended the knoll at a reasonable clip, I spied over the top a three foot deep ditch!?

I wasn't carrying enough speed to jump ditch... but, just enough to prevent me from stopping before it.

I then did my best impression of a Fabien Barel one handed dismount, coming out semi ok on the other side o_0

Next time I'll huck that dang ditch!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast