mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Your most adventurous ride ever!!

This is a thread intended for YOU to post the biggest adventure YOU ever had on a MTB (and entertainment for the rest of us...).

This could be anything - maybe you had to hike 15 miles out after a 'mechanical' killed your ride.. Maybe some weather crept up that wasn't in the forecast... Maybe you were lost? (Never - not on the mountain bike!) Perhaps you couldn't find you car?

Just curious to see what others have experienced while enjoying our sport. Pictures are of course encouraged, actual video even better!

And lastly, please don't let the truth get in the way of a great story.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My 1st trail riding. Seriously, who can forget their 1st time...

Give it a crank
    Doing SlickRock in 50 mph winds, all of it.

mtbr member

the day I was lost in Moab

My brother and I took a trip to Moab May 2002. We went to Sovereign singletrack and got lost up in the Higher elevations. I think without the gps and the fact that we were forced to scramble down a crpto biotic soil mountain, that we would have been in trouble. Out of food, water and night fast approaching. This could have ended bad.
    29ers are more fun!

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    Doing SlickRock in 50 mph winds, all of it.

That was my one and only experience there . I never experienced wind like that in my life !
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

Retro on Steroids
    In 1979 I read about how they had this big off-road event in Crested Butte, Colorado.

On the basis of a phone call to the Grubstake Saloon in CB, five of us from California traveled out there with our "klunkers." It turned out that Crested Butte wasn't quite up to speed on off-road design, but we had a rollicking good time riding over Pearl pass, and we made it an annual event for some time afterward.

Crested Butte caught up quickly with the off-road technology.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccrohon
    My brother and I took a trip to Moab May 2002. We went to Sovereign singletrack and got lost up in the Higher elevations. I think without the gps and the fact that we were forced to scramble down a crpto biotic soil mountain, that we would have been in trouble. Out of food, water and night fast approaching. This could have ended bad.
    Lost on Sovereign? Higher elevations?
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    Riding around Waldo Lake Oregon in a gail in late September. It was my first time riding this trail and it was a slog, hard blowing rain, the trail was 3 inches deep the whole 22 miles. Probably not a big deal for Oregon MTB veterans but for a newbie to the sport it was a challenge.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    In 1979 I read about how they had this big off-road event in Crested Butte, Colorado.

On the basis of a phone call to the Grubstake Saloon in CB, five of us from California traveled out there with our "klunkers." It turned out that Crested Butte wasn't quite up to speed on off-road design, but we had a rollicking good time riding over Pearl pass, and we made it an annual event for some time afterward.

The Pearl Pass tour is still going strong, this year was the 34th annual.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    This was during spring break last school year:

I decided that I would go for a little ride, just 10 miles or so. So I go over the causeway to get beachside and get a little carried away. I find myself 10 miles away from home...I get my phone out of my Camelbak and text my mom saying "I'm riding to Sebastian." She calls me, enraged and confused. She wonders who I'm going with and I say I'm alone. She is reluctant to let me go any further, but I convince with the classic "Nobody is on facebook, and I'm bored." Oh, did I mention that Sebastian is 22.5 miles away from my house in West Melbourne (Florida)? It's also in another county.

That short little ride turned into a 55 miler that took me about 5 hours. Wind at my face going there, and of course with my luck, the wind was at my face coming back. I have no idea why I always get screwed by mother nature...

When I stopped 10 miles away from my house, and 12.5 away from my destination, I was at a gas station. The ONLY gas station on A1A for the next 25 miles (going to Sebastian and turning around). Too bad I didn't know that at the time . I ended up having an empty Camelbak for over 15 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    for sure my most adventurous ride was the naked bike ride at UVM... 30º and naked for a campus wide ride!!!
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider

I love your posts, they're just so god damn cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    3 years ago( maybe 4) late in november, i was riding in waywayonda by myself. I 'd been out for over 3 hrs ,on my way back towards the lakeside parking. After crossing the beaver pond rock bridge i followed what seemed to be a new(to me) trail a bit more to the right than the two usual choices, "the path less taken". The trail kind of evaporated and i ended up crisscrossing this hillside ,in my granny gear, focusing on the technical riding challenges that were immedately in front of me. I got over the hill and descended into a little valley. When it flattened out ,i hit a section of small evergreen leafy plants(mtn laurel?) there seemed to be a path into and (i was hoping) through. Then i hit a fallen tree,first one easy ride right over ,next one a bit higher ,pick up and hike it. Then a few fallen trees.. worse and worse,eventually i was throwing my bike onto a pile of fallen trees ,climbing up to lower it back to the trail only to be greeted almost immediately by another pile of fallen trees. With the sun really starting to set it started to flurry, this area was looking like a great place for bears to live,waywayonda does have bears. Eventually i focused on one direction got out of the mtn laurel and broke through to another trail with a long row of low wooden bridges.At that point i wasn't sure which direction was which. I came up on a side access fireroad (cherry ridge) and i knew my way through the park, it was nearly dark. A truck, driven by a hiker/hunter came up and asked if i was ok. I told them i knew my way to the lake from here , he offered me a ride around the park to where my car was parked, i gladly accepted, I think i was out for 6 hrs in near freezing weather, in shorts ,riding jerseys and i decided to wear my sweatshirt on the ride which was soaked with sweat in about the first 2.5hrs.The snow turned to rain and it poured all night with temperatures in the high 30's low 40's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The 1992 World Cup at Hunter Mountain. It poured the night before and they got inches and inches of rain. The course was a mess, the climbs were so muddy you had to walk most, the descent was a river and needed constant braking. My arms were so pumped the last time down I crashed. At the end of the day there was a 1/4 of mud in my shoes and also packed to the INSIDE of my shorts. It was nasty!

Retro on Steroids
    I had another pretty good ride in 1985. The government of Canada flew me to Whitehorse, Yukon, where I was picked up with four other cyclists and driven 400 miles, mostly on dirt roads, to the border of the Northwest Territory. From there we spent a week riding on the Canol Road, built and abandoned in 1943. The six of us in our group were the farthest from any other people that I have been before or since.

Some of the equipment used to build the road is still there because it cost more to bring it back than it was worth. The story of the ride is here.

the test dummy
    wondering with no direction for like 6 hours in the area between collage rock and nam.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member

1st time in Moab

8 of us on our first trip to Moab with only a previously unused guid book to pick a trail by, we were having a hard time picking a trail with no prior local experience. One of the guys says "I read that theres no long climbs in Moab so lets try the one the guide book says it hardest" I can't quite remember the name of the trail but it was in the La Sal mountains, not Moab, and there was some hellacious climbing on that trail. There was a 3 mile or so fireroad section that was so steep none could stay on the bike for very long, I've never pushed my bike so far.
    We finally made the saddle between the peaks at around 10,000 ft hoping for a nice long DH reward; nope. 2-3 ft of snow made us unsure where the trail started, when we picked a trail we couldn't ride it because we broke right through. Then when we got below the snowline there was deadfall every 200 ft, more time carrying and pushing. We finally made it below the deadfall and had a few miles of fun, when we were close to the road (but not knowing it yet) I was in the front riding singletrack surrounded by 10 ft high saplings and all the sudden the saplings on both sides of the trail just start whipping to the ground like they are being run over buy a car!!!! I start to hit the brakes to let this phenomenon pass in front of me, before I get the bike stopped a steer passes 5 ft in front of me and at the time it looked as big as a house and as I turn to look for my freinds I see another crossing in back of me about 10 feet away; thats the only stampeed I've ever been in.
    So we make it to the road and discover that most of us low on water and spent. The 2 of us that finished strongest said we'd go get the trucks and pick the rest up at the trailhead, but it was close to dark and we had no idea how steep the miles back to the truck were. we started off strong but were unable to ride sections that would have been easy at the start of the day. We decided we would be looking for the trucks in the dark when some other riders came driving down the road and gave us some water, but they weren't offering a ride to the parking area. Luckily a local rancher happened by and gave us a ride to the trucks, we picked up the rest of the party and by the time we made it back to town Denneys was the only thing open but it somehow tasted better than it had a right to.
    We were out there 8 hours with feet freezing from the hike in the snow legs toast from hike a biking up the steeps and over the deadfall; every time we've found a tough new outback trail the La Sals ride gets brought up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Riding at night alone is pretty adventurous for me........You can only see where the light shines, you hear a lot of random noises and you got a long night walk if something goes wrong.

On the positive side I tend to ride with more purpose and fewer stops at night bc I sorta get the willies being out there alone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I did Sovereign on a day with winds like that! If you go all that way on a ride trip, you gotta ride!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Or it may have been the ride that my friend broke his neck on...
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I once got lost in Haliburton Forest years ago (has to be more than 10 years now I think). It was very hot, extremely humid and I’d run out of water long ago. I was getting pretty nervous as the sun was on its way down too (no lights). I lucked out and the first people I saw all day were two very helpful hiking girls who gave me some water and led me to a gravel road which took me all the way back to base camp. It was dark by the time I got back. I was WAY lost and my wife was freaking out at camp. The wolves in the area get her going big-time. I was more concerned about dehydration than wolves. It could have been bad I think.

As far as great days out my best one in a very long while was the ride I had in Cyprus this year when we summited Mount Olympus in the Troodos Mountains. I’ve already written/videoed that though so I won’t do it again. You can do a quick search here in Passion and find it if you’re curious. It’s around somewhere
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3
    Riding at night alone is pretty adventurous for me........You can only see where the light shines, you hear a lot of random noises and you got a long night walk if something goes wrong.

On the positive side I tend to ride with more purpose and fewer stops at night bc I sorta get the willies being out there alone.
    I agree with your night riding post newnan3! I rode 2 nights ago, and it's something about night riding that changes the whole experience. It's hard to remember the trail as it is in the day time and elevations don't seem the either. I always have the hair stand up on the back of my neck riding at night because all of the spooky noises! Love it!

bringer of doom
    What was supposed to be a three-week trek with my Father up through northern Ontario to find the property I'd purchased, which became a six week bike/hike/climb/paddle/forge/swim/bushwack survivalist expedition. Most of the smaller waterways had changed since the maps were made... Ate off the land, can't even tell ya how many times we cheated certain doom. Wild country. In the end, we found the island, and I discovered the side of my Dad I'd only heard stories about. Now I don't throw the word "epic" around so lightly anymore.
    Ride on, Anthony.

Members who have read this thread: 0