Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Your Chain Stay Protector

Hey guys!
    So a friend and i were riding on a local trail and we came across a rattlesnake. Snakes are no strangers to us MTBers. We ended up killing it so others wouldn't get bit, (It is a highly populated trail with lots of Children roaming around). picked up the biggest rock we could find, killed it, put it in my camelbak, and continued with our ride. when we got home my friend gutted it and attached 2 pieces of Velcro, and BOOM, He now has the most badass chain stay on the trails. Yes thats right a Rattlesnake Skin chainstay, and yes it does work. If you think you have a better one Post it here!
    Last edited by Paul Manoogian; 06-18-2013 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Don't kill, let them be.

Happy Trails

Are there many mountain bikers bitten by snakes in your area? I'm surprised I haven't heard more about all these tragic attacks.

(Edit - Deleted the rest of my comment ...... but C'mon. You killed it and mounted the skin on a bike? Are you for real?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    yes i have had bad experiences with rattlers. i was on a trail and to make a long story short, a kid got bit by a rattler (hiking with his dad) and i rode him down the mtn with my bike, he was hiking so he had an Escalated heart rate because he was hiking, lucky for him, i am am a EMT and i had a kit in my car, I made a tourniquet , i drove him to the hospital and he made it. so yeah Screw rattlers...

mtbr member
    I got a baby seal skin. CLubbed it with my mini-pump on my last Alaska trip. No, I wouldn't do something like that.

I couldn't kill an animal unless I absolutely had to.

If a rattler was in my house, I'm not even sure I would kill it, but probably would be safer than trying to capture it.

In your case, you guys went to rattler territory, the snakes didn't invite you there. SO, honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I usually see dead snakes in the street on road rides. No problem using those skins.

mtbr member
    Average venomous snake deaths in the US per year - 6

Average deaths from the flu in the US per year - 41,000

Snakes are the least of your problems. People on the other hand...
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Your Chain Stay Protector-polar_face_palm.jpgWhile you're at it I could use one made out of a mountain lion, black bear, brown bear, raccoon, black mamba, scorpion, falcon, shark, polar bear, bison, deer and spider.

One of each will do just fine. Thanks.

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Average venomous snake deaths in the US per year - 6
    Of these six, I wonder how many were leaving the snake alone versus trying to mess with it.

This big rattler was behind my house, just over our wall last week. We left it alone. Your Chain Stay Protector-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371493479.666473.jpg

This smaller one was on the front porch, just outside the front door on Sunday, and I was out of town so Wifey called fire department to relocate.

Your Chain Stay Protector-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371493645.116569.jpg

Fortunately, no one was killed by either of them....
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 06-17-2013 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Manoogian View Post
    yes i have had bad experiences with rattlers. i was on a trail and to make a long story short, a kid got bit by a rattler (hiking with his dad) and i rode him down the mtn with my bike, he was hiking so he had an Escalated heart rate because he was hiking, lucky for him, i am am a EMT and i had a kit in my car, I made a tourniquet , i drove him to the hospital and he made it. so yeah Screw rattlers...
    How did this work? Was this a mountain bike or a motorcycle? Cuz damn . . . that must've been a tough ride if it was a mountain bike.

I strongly disagree with killing the snake. I run into a rattler or two a week on average (between trail running and riding) and all I do is shoo them off the trail. No issues (although the snakes would probably say that I'm interrupting their sunbathing). It's pretty obvious when a rattler's going to bite something. And it's pretty easy to not get bitten. There's nothing impressive about killing a snake with a big rock, except maybe the level of douchebaggery required to make it happen.

Happy Trails

On a lighter note ...

2 bikers on the trail, trying to kill a rattle snake. The snake bites the first guy right on the ole' Johnson. Second guy says,"don't worry, I'll call my buddy. He's an EMT and will know what to do". Over the mobile phone, the EMT tells him "This is serious. You need to make two small incisions with your multi-tool blade, and then suck the venom out. Keep sucking till you get all poison out or this could be fatal!" . So the second guy hangs up just as the first guy, the one with the snake bike, asks "what did you buddy say?"

"He says you're gonna die" .

mtbr member
    How does trying to help a kid that was bit translate into "I must kill rattlesnakes?"

Being an EMT, you must try to help lots of kids with injuries. Do you hate soccer? Shopping carts?

I've had lots of run in's with snakes. I personally think those who kill them don't understand why they're really needed. I also think they don't respect our environment that we ride in, and are the kinds of people who generally give most bikers a bad name. I'm not saying you're one of these guys, but, the snake didn't go out looking for food thinking bikers would be tasty. It was after rodents that left unchecked, could lead to serious health dangers. Google how the plague was transmitted.

As far as a chainstay protector.... I think having the rotting carcass of a snake hanging off your bike would be fitting.

long time listener
    I guess EMTs don't take the "First, do no harm..." oath.

human dehumidifier
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity - W.B. Yeats

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Funny using a tourniquet was mentioned... current evidence based practice is saying not to tourniquet a snake bite... you want the venom to go systematically as then it is diluted and all that fun science-y stuff. I attended a pediatric trauma seminar put on by the Children's Hospital of Colorado last summer for docs, RN's, and EMT's, and they discussed this in great lengths since we're high rattlesnake area.

Just food for thought...

mtbr member
    At least part of the snake was used...if he ate the rest of the snake, then I don't see any problems here
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Funny using a tourniquet was mentioned...
    Yeah, I caught that too. It's the interwebs, so take it for what it is. SOC (standard of care) for OEC (outdoor emergency care) does not include a tourniquet for snakebite. Typically, the use of a tourniquet in the backcountry means that person is gonna lose the limb.

There's a few details that can be picked apart in the postings in this thread, but, it doesn't really matter.

For others reading this, and wanting to know how to properly treat a snakebite in the backcountry, drink a ton of fluids, and get to medical professionals as quickly as possible. Rattlesnake bites typically do more damage to the tissue in the area of the bite, so keeping the venom in said area, not helpful. Don't try to "suck" it out either, that just puts the rescue at risk as well. The big killer in snakebites is shock. Keep the victim calm, and watch for signs of shock.

Drink lots, remain calm, seek medical attention as soon as possible.

'Tis but a scratch
    So a friend and I were riding on a local trail and we came across a bicycle tube. Bicycle tubes are no strangers to us MTBers...put it in my Camelbak, and continued with our ride...now have the most badass chain stay on the trails. Yes that's right a bicycle tube chain-stay, and yes it does work.

mtbr member
    That's only cool if you had to smash the bicycle tube with a rock before using it.

Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    So a friend and I were riding on a local trail and we came across a bicycle tube. Bicycle tubes are no strangers to us MTBers...put it in my Camelbak, and continued with our ride...now have the most badass chain stay on the trails. Yes that's right a bicycle tube chain-stay, and yes it does work.

Titanium junkie
    I knew this was gonna get ugly real quick!
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

OMG!
    that's pretty redneck but i found it funny. also agree with the guy that said leave them alone. they're a part of a sensitive ecosystem (cant believe i just said that but you get my point)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Of these six, I wonder how many were leaving the snake alone versus trying to mess with it.

My money's on two. Maybe one.

mtbr member

pebis foreskin chainstay for the win

Ive collected all the fore skins from the dudes in my group that haddent been circumsized yet.

Removed a bolt from the chainstay pivot and sliped them on.

Makes a ratteling sound since there all dry and crusty. Pretty cool

mtbr member
    My frame came with a heavy duty clear sticker on the chainstay where a protector would go, so I've never bothered to put anything more there.

I'm pretty sure no creatures met their end in the making of that sticker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    By not smashing the life out of that bicycle tube prior to putting it into your bag, you're lucky the bicycle tube didn't bite you on the johnson putting your buddy in the difficult position of having to suck out the venom. Or you having to put a tourniquet on the affected appendage which would result in the loss of said johnson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLcheesehead1 View Post
    At least part of the snake was used...if he ate the rest of the snake, then I don't see any problems here
    I'm with you!

I have to wonder how many of the PETA members here bashing the killing of a snake will mindlessly swat a mosquito. Or kill a spider they find in their houses ('cause the house was built in the spider's territory) or put down fire ant killer or....

Yes, snakes have their role in the ecosystem and, generally speaking, should be left alone. But to rag on a guy who kills them because he feels they are a threat is even bigger douchebaggery than those using that term for killing the snake.

"Lighten up, Francis!"
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast