Sweat is just fat crying.

Your bike repair station (and wallet) needs these.

I picked up a Can o' Patches at Orchard Supply Hardware the other day. Priced only a little higher than a patch kit at the LBS, this kit contains 1 large patch (no size given- useable for a boot?), 4- 1"x2" patches, 20- 1"x1" patches, a scuffer lid and 2 tubes of glue.

You won't have to be digging around in your pack for that patch kit- you can just leave this on the work counter, ready for action. Or inaction, as it were.

My advice: Cut a piece of thick plastic (ziplock bags are ok) to put over the top of the glue after you open it, then screw the top back on. This'll keep the glue fresh.

Drawback? The rubber used for the patches is kinda thick. No disadvantages discerned, so far.

The best part? The can is perfectly-sized for hauling around the necessary equipment for those 'safety meetings'.

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-31-2004 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Uploaded a pic of a bike! D'oh!
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Gary.

Clepsydra

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    IThe best part? The can is perfectly-sized for hauling around the necessary equipment for those 'safety meetings'.

fp
    A handy thing since the digital camera is making all those 35 mm film canisters harder to come by.

Seriously ?

This message brought to you by YES TUBES....

Cool, I'm checking that out. 24 patches is a lot, if the price is low it may be well worthwhile.

Gui

PITY THE FOOL!
    Safety meetings - good!
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Sweat is just fat crying.

Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Clepsydra
    Thanks, Gary.

Clepsydra
    Welcome to the real board. Or is it real bored?

Hope you like it here.

ep
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-31-2004 at 09:25 AM.
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffusCorncobb
    A handy thing since the digital camera is making all those 35 mm film canisters harder to come by.
    If you really need film canisters, go to any costco walmart or other 1 hour processor and ask for some. They just throw them away, I've walked away with 100 of them before.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Anyone else use glueless patches? I used to use the Park ones, and they seemed to work fine. All the LBS in my area seemed to stop carrying them (or else were unable to stock them). Then I bought Axion SealAirs which one of the LBS started to carry. I'm much less impressed with the Axions. More blown seals than a penguin bordello. Any one else have the same problems? D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

beer thief
    Interesting, I thought the Park glueless patches (clear ones) were the worst. I've used some that were really good, Speed Patches (?) or something like that - they were black patches with a white peel-off back and are excellent.

What's all this talk about safety? Deviants.

glueless patches

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan!
    Anyone else use glueless patches? I used to use the Park ones, and they seemed to work fine. All the LBS in my area seemed to stop carrying them (or else were unable to stock them). Then I bought Axion SealAirs which one of the LBS started to carry. I'm much less impressed with the Axions. More blown seals than a penguin bordello. Any one else have the same problems? D.
    The first glueless patches I ever used were some clear LBS-branded patches. They worked great for me. As long as I had a little air in the tube first (to stretch it out a bit), the patch held for almost forever. I've used other types since with marginal success. Most often, all they've gotten me is back to my car before the seal breaks. I suppose that's not all bad, but I'd prefer if they'd lasted longer.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

glueless patches

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    The first glueless patches I ever used were some clear LBS-branded patches. They worked great for me. As long as I had a little air in the tube first (to stretch it out a bit), the patch held for almost forever. I've used other types since with marginal success. Most often, all they've gotten me is back to my car before the seal breaks. I suppose that's not all bad, but I'd prefer if they'd lasted longer.
    are only supposed to be a temporary fix. they're not meant to be permanent. I've used some for a long focking time too but eventually the patch always peels off at a bad time!

YR

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Interesting, I thought the Park glueless patches (clear ones) were the worst. I've used some that were really good, Speed Patches (?) or something like that - they were black patches with a white peel-off back and are excellent.

What's all this talk about safety? Deviants.
    I had a couple of friends who returned the Parks, they thought they were so bad, but I can't say I ever had a problem (must have used three dozen over the years). Maybe they tried putting them on with the sticky side up .... D.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    are only supposed to be a temporary fix. they're not meant to be permanent. I've used some for a long focking time too but eventually the patch always peels off at a bad time!

YR
    Hmmmm .... maybe temporary until you get another hole/tear in your tube. I've used them for months at a time. I usually ditch a tube after the 3rd flat. D.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Now why would you need 100 empty film canisters?

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I never used them to patch tubes, but have used them to patch camel back bladders.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow. 100? That's a lot of safety meetings!

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004

Glueless patches suck

Anyone else use glueless patches?
    I tried them in the past; they failed immediately. I'd try them again for the convenience factor, except I've seen them fail recently (24 hours of Old Pueblo, my nephew's excuse for a four hour lap!)

What seems to do them in is heat -- leave them in your car on a hot day and they're toast.

Even here in Seattle it's tough to keep heat away during peak riding season, and they're not _that_ much easier to use than standard patches.

The only reason to even carry glueless patches is if you're afraid your glue will dry out. I haven't had that problem since I learned to put a drop or two of superglue on the crimp end of the glue tube -- some crimps just seem to leak enough air to dry out the glue.

Finch Platte's tip of an extra piece of plastic over the end of the glue tube is interesting, although I doubt I'll try it since the superglue trick works well enough for me.

If you're really paranoid, just buy two patch kits and carry two tubes of glue. If you're really worried about the weight, just blow your nose an extra time before starting a big ride and it'll all even out. Use one tube of glue and keep the other one sealed; if the worst happens to the first one you've still got the second one.

Rolland

avg. joe

Just a temp fix for me

I have tried several brands of the self stick patches and they all work fine for finishing the current ride, but then lost their stick over-night. I just swap out to a new tube or use a real patch while re-hydrating after the ride.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Finch, just a head's up on those thick patches.
    I bought a can a few years back from the Wal-Mart (mainly because it came with a big tube of glue, and I was going through pinch-flat hell. Damn skinny tires...)
    The patch rubber's thick, but also pretty soft. I had a larger hole that pulled the patch open a few rides after I patched it. For snakebites, they worked fine, but the slice (maybe 1/4" long") must have put too much tension on it.
    My solution was to buy a box of Rema patches from the third hand - 100 for $10, I think, 1" diameter, nice beveled edges, and harder rubber. I also picked up a few extra tubes of glue, but the plastic wrap trick is a good one.
    As for the Park patches, I know there's 2 generations. The first were not so good, since they didn't really stretch, just peeled off the tube as it inflated. The second gen. were stickier and stretchier - they still pucker the tube a bit, but stay put real well. I've had a few that I couldn't remove after a ride, so I left them in place. I know one went 3 months before other punctures led it to the afterlife. Plus, considering the box is the size of a quarter (and has space fora quarter inside - too bad phone calls are 50 cents anymore), I toss one in my toolkit just in case, along with real patches and glue.
    Jon.

Medium?

Good find

I have lots of half-used tubes of glue, and the patches are hard to find. I don't like the thick rubber ones, but the little round beveled edge ones are perfect, and $0.07 each is a good price.

mtbr member
    More blown seals than a penguin bordello. D.
    That is fuking funny

BRILLIANT!!!!

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Now why would you need 100 empty film canisters?
    www.geocaching.com

A fun little waste of time.

george

Ride what you want!!
    Anyone remember the little orange Nike patch kits they were giving away free at last year's Sea Otter? Over the 4 days I must have ended up with 15-20 of those kits. I don't think I'll be needed to buy patches for a while still. And the Sea Otter is just a couple weeks away. Maybe I can stock up again.

george