old timer retro grouch...

You know you are a retrogrouch when...

People don't recognize your bike and ask you what it is. Even then they give you a blank stare. Then you ask what year they were born...and its after your bike was made.

Lets hope these welds and tube last me another 15 years!

(if you are wondering what bike it is...look at my avatar...if you still don't know, well thats a shame)

Currently in Exile

Nice ride

But I thought that he was still making bikes. I could swear that I had seen a review of that model in Mountainbike Action a few years back. I know that it couldn't have been THAT long ago. I only started to ride seriously in '1999.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Belltown Brazer

I've got an older Yo as well...

set up singlespeed and rigid with the best-fork-ever-made Fat City segmented. Mine's a '92, which might be the last year they were actually built in Somerville.

Alas, the old Yo started gathering dust when I picked up a Sofa King 29er. This spring I came upon an IF 29er singlespeed. It was what I had been hoping for: the flawless handling of the Yo with the steamroller 29 wheels. There is something to be said for lineage.

B

old timer retro grouch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    But I thought that he was still making bikes. I could swear that I had seen a review of that model in Mountainbike Action a few years back. I know that it couldn't have been THAT long ago. I only started to ride seriously in '1999.
    He stopped making them in Sommerville in '92. (many of the Fat guys were out of work as a result of this deal and started their own upstart compant...you may have heard of them, Independant Fabrications. Think the name was at all a stab against Chris and his corporate selling out?) Then when the Serrotta deal when sour Chris moved to VT and started making them again in '95ish. That didn't last very long and in the late '90s he scaled things back and soon closed his doors around 2000 or 2002?

There are rumors of him getting back into some small scale stuff...forks mostly. I've yet to see anything.

a cycologist

The next time it happens...

Just tell those youngins it's a throwback!
    "Spread love. It's the Brooklyn way."

Biggie Smalls