Surfin' da mountain

You just won this week's lottery! What MTB related stuff are you going to buy?

Not the Powerball or a jackpot that's been building for a while, but the $3 million lottery payout. Outside of a comfortable home and your daily hauler, what bikes, stuff, and trips will you take?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Oh, probably a Yeti SB66 or a Knolly Endorphin, a Black Sheep Stellar 1x6, a good basic road bike (maybe a Cielo Sportif Racer SE?), and a gigantic tour of the west. Starting from home in Ketchum, ID, I'd head eastish and ride Teton Valley/Jackson for a week, then make my way up through Bozeman towards Glacier NP, then up into Canada to Banff, ride Canmore, AB, west to Whistler, south from there through the Cascades in Washington and Oregon, through northern Cali, Tahoe, then down to AZ. Hopefully I'd be able to time it so that the Glacier/Canada part happens in August, then Sept in the Cascades, Nov in Cali, Dec/Jan in AZ/NM. Feb/March, I'd ski in CO. April/May, go to Moab, St. George, Gooseberry, etc. then June back to CO. Western slope stuff should be rideable by then, and July/Aug hit the high country in CO. Quick trip to Park City and the LaSal's in UT, and back home to Ketchum about a year after the trip began.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115 View Post
    a gigantic tour of the west. Starting from home in Ketchum, ID, I'd head eastish and ride Teton Valley/Jackson for a week, then make my way up through Bozeman towards Glacier NP, then up into Canada to Banff, ride Canmore, AB, west to Whistler, south from there through the Cascades in Washington and Oregon, through northern Cali, Tahoe, then down to AZ. Hopefully I'd be able to time it so that the Glacier/Canada part happens in August, then Sept in the Cascades, Nov in Cali, Dec/Jan in AZ/NM. Feb/March, I'd ski in CO. April/May, go to Moab, St. George, Gooseberry, etc. then June back to CO. Western slope stuff should be rideable by then, and July/Aug hit the high country in CO. Quick trip to Park City and the LaSal's in UT, and back home to Ketchum about a year after the trip began.
    My dad just took a long trip similar to this (it must be nice to be retired), and myself never being out west the pics were incredible. Someday when I get out of this god forsaken crappy job I'm going out there and go all the way up to whistler and BC before I'm too old to enjoy it.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Devinci Dixon from Performance.
    Custom-build a Santa Cruz Nomad.
    Epic ride supplies.

San Juan Hut System.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Ride or die
    I'd custom build a Nomad, V10, and BLT, for myself, hook-up my buddies, buy a camper and hit the road for a few months of singletrack bliss.

mtbr member
    **** like I could actually be that lucky? well ****

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I retired I took an 8 week trip from Tucson to Jasper NP in Canada. Hit trails in Nevada, Montana, Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and California on the way back.
    But if I won the lottery I'd buy a couple more bikes and take another road trip.
    Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies is the best MTB guide book I've seen. Over 200 rides with variations on each in Alberta and BC. I'd just try to do more of the rides in that book. In Canada there are legal MTB trails in the National Parks.
    agmtb

mikeb
    new wheels and tires for all three of my bikes.

once my 'cross is warrantied, i'll get new drivetrain components for it as well.

XTR vee brakes for the SS.

that's just to start.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I'd get the new Salsa el Mariachi, but i'm gonna get it anyway in the fall. i guess if i win something i'll get the Ti version.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I would buy one of everything available...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Yeah, baby!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    40x80 steel building with a heated floor and 3phase power. Also a tubeshark, tig welder, haas machining center, cnc lathe, feature-cam and a heat-treat furnace.
    For starters anyhow.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Shaman
    Apr 2004

184 Acres in Costa Rica

The 184 Acre spread in Costa Rica that I have had my eye on for the last 2 years! That win would leave a lot left over to build the bike park and some guest lodging.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    I'd get an Ibis Mojo SL-R or a Blur LTc or a Pivot Mach 5. That would depend on the ride test. I would then proceed to purchase an Ibis Tranny and use that as my geared XC race bike and SS awesome-sauce/race bike. I would then purchase a CX bike of some sort. Then some dirt drop bars for my rigid steel soon-to-be-SS.

I'd invest/hoard the rest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd buy a cool @$$ pickup truck to haul around my bike (what? Who doesnt need a Ford Raptor to haul about a 30lb mtb and a camelback? And I think I'd finally venture into one..maybe two carbon swathed rigs.. Erm..jekyll ultimate and scalpel ultimate..oh..and a rigid SS niner AIR carbon and maybe one of those Yeti superbikes everyone is yammerin' about. Then prompty find/build a sweet crib near the beach and equator in a geologically and climate stable location (trying to say some place with no earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes..), spacious lofts in two of my fave cities (nyc and london...erm wait...scratch that, that'll be the entire 3-mil gone before I even buy groceries) and spend my time swimmin-in-wimmin.. Did I not mention the motorcycles? Oh..there will be motorcycles...

Man..starting to think the OP suggested 3-mil is not nearly enough... What's a mc-mansion cost nowadays in a major metro..$800k? The rest sensibly tucked away for retirement fund, property taxes, Insurance, sexual harassment lawsuit payoffs.. Jeez..when did 3-mil still make you feel poor?? I'z sad now...

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterRide View Post
    The 184 Acre spread in Costa Rica that I have had my eye on for the last 2 years! That win would leave a lot left over to build the bike park and some guest lodging.
    A Bike Park in Costa Rica! If I won, I'd invest in the park. We could buy rental bikes hand made by "curtboroff".

Not sure how Moozh's sexual harassment escrow is bike related, but if I hired a shuttle driver it would come in handy... (see below)

Outside of the home, daily hauler and toys for the wife and daughter, I'd buy a few bikes, like a Turner DHR, a Pivot Firebird, a belt drive SS, and XC racer. To get to the trailhead I'd buy this hauler specifically adapted to riding with friends. I once helped a friend trick-out a sprinter limo with media stuff to show off an amazing movie server for your average Super Yacht. He'd pick people up at the Ritz and take them to the "Boat Show" while advertising his cool entertainment system. Behind the seating cabin was a 7ft deep area for his electronics, which could easily double as an area for 6 DH bikes plus tools, equipment, luggage and bike work stand that fits into the Reese hitch. I'd trick the hauler out to be durable transportation with a contracted driver, as needed, and loaded with stuff in the rear to keep the bikes in top form. Inside would contain Sat TV, Sirus Radio/Traffic/Weather, WiFi and other goodies. And, no it would not be a camper, good lodging accommodations are not that expensive. I would get fat from being shuttled to the top of everything.

P.S. I would fly to where it is I'm planning to ride, and have the shuttle meet me there.

Lastly - I have this wish to do a tour in Switzerland http://www.ridebig.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You just won this week's lottery! What MTB related stuff are you going to buy?-mb-van-3.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cucucachu; 08-04-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Your Best Friend
    I'd build a garage/shop to house all of my bikes. I'd then get an uber nice bike in each category just in case I ever feel like downhilling one day and then time trialing the next. Oh and carbon wheels for all of them.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    a scott scale hardtail. 2 full suspension bikes--one a 29er--maybe a pivot and an intense. an italian road bike or two. a new subaru outback.

trips to canada, philippines, thailand, VZ, costa rica, and lots of places in the states.

That ought to blow through about quick 125 to 150 K. lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I would be just "happy".
    Being able to choose anything you like, and not feel bad about it... ..... Happiness...

banned
    this

and this. good to go.

mtbr member
    One pimped out Turner DHR (or poss Intense m-9)(Or poss Knolly Podium)(can't decide) and a lengthy trip to whistler and other points west.

Also a pimped out Knolly Chilcotin or Delerium for a trailbike.

Remainder to spouse + retirement annuity of some kind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Probably a new bike (not sure which) and plan a mountain biking world tour.... Travel, travel, travel...
    I don't have to stay in fancy hotels and would watch the budget... Okay, Okay, I'd splurge on a fancy hotel every now and then just for kicks.

Gotta pay to play
    I'd buy a house with a yard big enough to put a pump track in it. Then I'd buy a Ti 29er. Either from BlackSheep of Jones. I'd fly out to Colorado and spend like 2 months riding with Lee McCormack until I was super flowy, like hot molten lava.

I fix choppers

See you in Hell...

Okay, so I have 1.5 million to blow after the pay out? So after all of the hookers, drugs and maybe paying bills I would take all of my pals on an all expenses paid trip (private jet, more hookers and dope) to Switzerland to ride with the cats from Big Mountain for two weeks and then eat cheese/drink wine in Paris after. Finally on the way back I will have my carcass dumped out of the plane to feed the sharks and whatever else in the Atlantic.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

Probably drunk right now

Land....

Land (not necessarily a house) bordering an epic (tm) trail somewhere.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    I'd get an Ibis Mojo SL-R or a Blur LTc or a Pivot Mach 5. That would depend on the ride test. I would then proceed to purchase an Ibis Tranny and use that as my geared XC race bike and SS awesome-sauce/race bike. I would then purchase a CX bike of some sort. Then some dirt drop bars for my rigid steel soon-to-be-SS.

I'd invest/hoard the rest.
    oh yeah...i'd find the best ibis hakkalugi out there...just because...

mtbr member
    I can't help but go the dorky route...

I'd take the net 1.5m and invest it moderately aggressively.

I'd distribute 4% per year, whatever that happened to be (let's conservatively assume an average of $60,000/year, meaning there was no growth of the money aside from the 4% annual dist.).

I'd keep my current job, house and car. So I'd have an average $60,000/year (some years more, some years less) to spend on bike and ski vacations, equipment, etc.

Works for me...and yes, I say this even as the market will likely close off 4% or so today.

meow meow
    2012 spec stumpy evo carbon with all the bells and whistles. and a fancy dhr. and some pow skis. that and a condo in utah near a mountain and a truck and i will have plently to live on the rest of my life.

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Non-bike stuff aside, I'd buy three very nice custom bikes: One 29er hardtail, one dual-boinger, and a roadie bike. I'd throw flats and a rack on my current bike and use it for errands.

since 4/10/2009
    A new custom ride or two (I have a few ideas floating around my head. what I buy would depend on what rides better).

50 acres of land or so where I can put a house, a bit of trails and maybe a pump track along with space for vegetables and a few goats and chickens. Out in the country so I can hunt on it. preferably someplace cheap (I MI, such places are going for about $350k right now).

a nice vacation somewhere with good biking and good food.

Invest the rest so I can vacation like a rockstar by the time I retire.

mtbr member
    BLTc or that new Intense Carbine looks pretty sweet. Head to Fruita, Moab, then go up north to Oregon or Washington. Eventually head up to Whistler and spend a couple weeks getting into downhilling.

Id buy my wife that stupid $1000 purse she wants too. haha

mtbr member
    I'd spend half on beer and hookers, and then just waste the rest.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would buy a FOX RACING 32 F29 F120 RLC, have it Anodized blue to match my bike... then take a 2 week trip to Colorado.

mtbr member
    new styley helmet

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Retire from the military and open a bike shop.

mtbr member
    hookers, blow, and the rest on a Next FS rig.

mtbr member
    Well you have to play to win, so i'm ass-out.

But if someone bought me a ticket and it won, I would get a Jones Spaceframe, pay off bills, and piss away the rest...

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I'd buy a ASR5 and take a 2 week trip around the western US to ride all the good stuff. 1 location each day.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2010

I wish!

Blacksheep!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    4x4 sprinter motorhome imported from germany for some nights and high end hotels when in salt lake, denver ,jackson etc maybe the east coast in the fall. No hookers and blow. Some carbon wheels , roval probably as the easton seem like junk. Some really nice sun glasses, no 5 pair of really nice sun glasses

mtbr member
    the whole bike shop.

girl mtber
    Yeti SB-66
    Yeti 303 RDH

Long road trip stopping to ride in Colorado, Utah, California, Oregon, Washington, and Whistler. Then across the pond to ride in the Alps.

Rookie
    Hmm, a 15 year old with 3 mil? I would put most of it towards college. Hahahaha, I'm sure 3million would be enough, yah?

Lets see....

Giant Reign X
    Niner R.I.P. 9 SLX kit
    Intense Uzzi
    Trek Scratch
    Santa Cruz Driver 8
    Yeti SB-66
    Gt Zaskar carbon 29 custom build

Necessary tires, chains, lube, tools, and a reaally nice bike stand.

Oh and Point One Podiums on every bike if I don't get into clipless. Yup 15k easy?
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd throw thousands towards the Montana Mountain Bike Alliance. For continued trail access into the future. I might get a bike, I guess. Plus pay my kids bills.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

bringer of doom
    I must be some kinda hippie. I'd put about 50k aside to live off (I live well enough on practically nothing) and give the rest to sharp people elsewhere who actually have a real need for it, who'll otherwise never see the kind of opportunity that kind of $ can provide, just to do it.
    Ride on, Anthony.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    a desert sheep hunt and add to the quiver of bikes.

mtbr member
    I'd keep my 2008 Trance X, add a new Thru-axle Talas or Revelation. Maybe do the 140mm conversion, but certainly send the shock and fork off to PUSH and have them custom tuned with the bottom out kit. Pick up Fox's soon-to-be-introduced dropper post and have a set of custom wheels built around some Chris King Hubs. I'm due for some new brakes- The new XT's or Elixir CR's would due for my needs. After all that I would have a custom sizing done and buy a new CF stem and bars accordingly. before setting foot on a pedal, I would have some shoes custom made around my feet.
    After the Trance is all tricked out and broken in, I'd get a 1x10 29'er- something built more for fun than for racing.
    Have the bed of a 4-door truck moddified to hold several bikes, repair stand, and tools. My bikes and gear would stay on this truck so that I am ready to hit the trail as soon as I feel the urge.
    I'd give my riding buddies a credit line to get their rigs up to par then buy us all matching team jerseys with nick-names on the back "MAGIC MAN" "EL DIABLO" "SHAKE N' BAKE" and "MIKE HONCHO." We would wear these jerseys with pride to a number of fantastic biking destinations.

Now that I have written it down, It seems that my fantasy is only about $10k away (minus a new truck). Maybe I should just get a second job.

mtbr member
    Bike related I would build a Pivot 5.7 carbon and pick up a Niner FS 29'r. Oh, and maybe a C-Dale road bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Custom made frames:

Chabardo Ti

For translations, try google chrome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p.doering View Post
    I must be some kinda hippie. I'd put about 50k aside to live off (I live well enough on practically nothing) and give the rest to sharp people elsewhere who actually have a real need for it, who'll otherwise never see the kind of opportunity that kind of $ can provide, just to do it.
    Thanks for keeping me in check(even though it's all fantasy anyway ), I'd donate a lot of it too.

After that, proper bike tools to do all my maintenance the right way. I'm sick of making do with what I have for repairs.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    A little spendy too