Des(s)ert Rat

Yep, he's all grown up.

Who else has a child that scares the bejeezuz out of you? Any old timers remember me and him?

Yep, he's all grown up.-977101_655886394427401_648366773_o.jpg

Compare that to this photo, his first foray onto singletrack, I think he was about 4 1/2.

Name:  jordanprime1.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  22.7 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a 9 year old.. I love him to pieces but he will be the death of me.. I wouldn't want it any other way though. On Saturday, my boy and I did a nice little 7 mile ride.. Nothing hard but he knows that brakes only make him slow down.. As scary as it was to see him get a little squirely it was awesome to hear him say "DAD, THAT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME!! DID YOU SEE ME?"

Des(s)ert Rat

turtles make me hot
    My eight year old rides without having a finger on his brake levers. Freaks me out.
    I like turtles

I build my own.
    Yep, he's all grown up.-jesse4.jpg
    My 15 year old scoping a 20' road gap. Yeah he gives me the chills sometimes.

He's all grown up now & knows everything. That's him on the right. My other son (on the left) scares the crap out of everybody.
    Yep, he's all grown up.-2013-01-18-15.44.07.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

No known cure
    Scream, I remember your son leading a group on a ride when I was out for the first Fruita gathering. What was that? 1998?
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Des(s)ert Rat
    Yes, 1998, Danielle was about 6 months old and Jordan was turning 5. He "led" a group up Prime Cut.

mtbr member
    They grow up so quickly, to me was yesterday (13 years ago) when my son picked up mountain biking, he quickly became my riding buddy and I became his biggest fan.

Back then when he was racing the mtb kids league

In between

Today

In about a year he'll be heading off for college, hopefully he'll keep on riding, will miss riding with my favorite cyclist.

Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 05-21-2013 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    I took my 5 year old out on some nice single track with several short downhill sections the other day. Nothing overly steep, but enough to give you a little rush. The part that scared me is that on just about every downhill section he reverted to taking his feet off the pedals in an attempt to slow down by dragging his feet. He knows better, but was just a little freaked out. Of course the bike he was riding has coaster brakes, so feet off the pedals = going faster, not slower. Luckily he had the good sense to hang on to the handle bars and steer himself to safety...

On the plus side, now he has a goal to work towards on his next ride.

He's getting a bike with hand brakes for his birthday on Monday, hopefully that makes it easier on him, not harder.

mtbr member
    Yes, I remember those early posts of your kids when they were just starting out. My how time flys. Seems like yesterday.

@DirtDevil: I remember your earlier posts of your son doing jr xc races too. Man he has progressed. That really doesn't seem that long ago. I'll bet he's hating you for reposting that last picture during his "chubby" stage. LOL.

My kid scares me every time we go out. Not because he's such a daredevil.... but he just doesn't pay close attention to little things: Like the edge of the trail (with a 8 foot drop off on one side); Keeping is pedals level while descending (He likes to drag one down low. Usually on the uphill side of the trail too, just waiting for a rock or root to catch it and toss him off the trail); Looking ahead for oncoming traffic (bikes, motorbikes, quads!).

It's one thing having a riding buddy hurt on a ride with you.... but having your kid hurt is so much more traumatic/scary.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Rolling
    WOW! I remember! That is awesome.

NONDURO
    My boys (aged 7 and 8.5 years old) started riding when they were 4 and 5.5 years old on the local singletrack. Their skill has gotten to the point now where they ride the same lines over steep and technical terrain that I do. My oldest son takes lines on some really technical rocky stuff no-dabs style where some of my adult friends will voluntarily dab due to safety concerns! I’d spam this thread with films of my boys riding the technical trails, but I’ve already started a hopefully soon-to-be-sticky Riding with Kids Videos thread in the “Families and Riding with Kids” forum subsection.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    They grow up so quickly, to me was yesterday (13 years ago) when my son picked up mountain biking, he quickly became my riding buddy and I became his biggest fan.

Back then when he was racing the mtb kids league

In about a year he'll be heading off for college, hopefully he'll keep on riding, will miss riding with my favorite cyclist.

Great photos- Reading this i actually got a little lump in my throat as I think about when it will be time to send my daughter to college and I'm sure i'll be missing a friend...you did a good job raising your kid and you should be proud that he is a healthy active person that will someday bring other mountainbikers into the world!

mtbr member
    At least he is wearing full armor...

mtbr member
    I scare the crap out of them!

With two son's, ages 29 & 32, busy getting on with their lives I have all the fun. I must admit that when the 29 year old, a professional sailor by trade, does long solo sails in the Atlantic I worry but I usually don't find out until after the fact. The older one hasn't scared me much since he retired from ski racing years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightops View Post
    Great photos- Reading this i actually got a little lump in my throat as I think about when it will be time to send my daughter to college and I'm sure i'll be missing a friend...you did a good job raising your kid and you should be proud that he is a healthy active person that will someday bring other mountainbikers into the world!
    Thanks for the kind words, I get all sentimental when we talk about going away; he always says that he will continue to ride with me but not as often.

ali'i hua
    my 5 year old just lost the training wheels. next step is singletrack

achiever
    I remember but not as far back as some. Loved your passion posts!

Hers my son at 5 years old learning to ride off-road -seems like yesterday!

mtbr member
    Love this thread!

My 3 yo is just getting the hang of his balance bike and I've already bought him his next 2 bikes on Craigslist!! I hope I can post some pics like these in a decade or 2!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jesse4.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	800938
    My 15 year old scoping a 20' road gap. Yeah he gives me the chills sometimes.

He's all grown up now & knows everything. That's him on the right. My other son (on the left) scares the crap out of everybody.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-18 15.44.07.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	800944

gotta love the day glo abortions!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mine's 8 and keeps me on my toes...

Yep, he's all grown up.-img_1552.jpg

Yep, he's all grown up.-e1.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow! I haven't lurked around here in a looong time and I'm glad the first post I read is yours Sarah. I remember very well your kids, your bikes and your awesome Fruita shots.
    I have to log in here more often, need this Mtb passion again, thanks "Screampint"

I'm SUCH a square....
    My daughter (now 15) is still in the joys of "first love" with her new "sweet 16 gift", a Gravity FSX full-suspension bike; she's been on Wally Specials up to now (ONE was actually pretty sweet!). Thing is, she's already proven to be a challenge to me on rides! She's hopping & dropping small obstacles, and can actually gap me from time to time!

Her first ride on that better Wally bike was across the front yard...right into the neighbor's Durango! Another time, she was crossing a wide street ahead of me, but not fast enough for the light cycle -- some idiot pulled away from the green, right into her path, and she lightly T-boned the car! A witness stopped and gave me their contact info, in case the driver tried suing us for car damages. One of the best rides on that one, though, was across a 2-block stretch of absolutely DEMOLISHED sidewalk, more technical than many trails in the area -- her reaction? "GALACTICALLY AWESOME!!"

The FSX has made her SO HAPPY...!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    A few years back with my now 18 year old... He has never really gotten the MTB bug but tolerated his Dad'd passion for it and comes along on trips from time to time. This pic is from one of my favorites, a fall trip to Dark Mountain. The Overland Victory Trail there introduced him to the flowy, fun side of mountain biking. As he readies himself for college after the summer he said, "Hey, can we get my bike ready to go?" Me thinks there may be some riding in his future...

Yep, he's all grown up.-dscf0500.jpg

I remember his first crash when he was about 8. OTB in a yet to be "greenway". Landed on his back, legs tangled in the pedals, head downhill. I dropped my bike and ran to him and he said..., "Whoa, that was cool...hahaha"

It was then I knew he was going to be an alright kid :-)
    On One Summer Season Single Speed