mtbr member

XPOSTING: Captain Ahab, Moab, UT [video]

Officially opened in March of 2013, Captain Ahab is posted for one-way traffic only and is labeled as double-black diamond (for experienced riders). This ride has a mix of low-speed rock crawling and climbing, as well as some higher speed section. The trail is accessed via Amasa Back and fairly short in length - even as a loop. But it certainly is filled with fun sections!

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Looks great, but don't see anything in the video that shows why it would be rated at double black diamond. For reference what is the Porc Rim classified as.

It has been a few years since being out to Moab, what to go back again, this time in the late fall to get the Whole Enchilada. We only got as high as LPS as we were out in May. There is just sooo much great riding out there.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Agree, looks fun and even though the sign shows a double black diamond, I didn't see anything there that really represented that level of difficulty. In comparison, I'd rate a trail like Rockstacker/Jackson as maybe double black. Still, looks like a fun ride, can't wait to get out there to try it in the fall. And nice production work on the video
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just rode this 2 weeks ago. The first half doesn't really feel double black diamond with all the climbing. I'd consider the last half probably more black diamond and damn fun!

This place needs an enema
    Thank you for taking the time to actually shoot something handheld. POV-only clips are becoming way too common and are typically completely uninteresting.

Tell us about your POV? Looked cumbersome but the results sure are smooth.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to actually shoot something handheld. POV-only clips are becoming way too common and are typically completely uninteresting.

Tell us about your POV? Looked cumbersome but the results sure are smooth.
    Yeah, I'm interested in hearing how you process your POV. Thanks in advance! That was so smooth, it must be your ATX riding skills showing through.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Looks great, but don't see anything in the video that shows why it would be rated at double black diamond. For reference what is the Porc Rim classified as.

It has been a few years since being out to Moab, what to go back again, this time in the late fall to get the Whole Enchilada. We only got as high as LPS as we were out in May. There is just sooo much great riding out there.
    Some buddies and I rode this trail in May as well. We rode up Amasa to rock stacker out to the arch and then down Captain Ahab/Amasa. Two in our group were on Ibis Mojo HD bikes while myself and another were on Stumpy FS 29er's (135 mm travel). The guys on the Mojos were getting dropped from all the pedaling and any FS 29er will be plenty of bike for this NOT double black diamond trail. Its a technical XC trail with a couple little drops. I hit the drops and cleaned the whole trail on the 29er. Like was said before, a couple black diamond moments but nothing like the notch on ups, but about the same technical level as pork in general. Definitely a fun xc trail and always will be on my list as an add on to Amasaback. And props to the trail builders... every sketchy section there was some remarkable trail work and detail that kept it smooth. Great job!
    Let's get down to the Neetty Greetty.

mtbr member
    Tracey is in the process of patenting the POV rig. We're waiting to hear back from the patent office.

Lawyers...

NARF!
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.