mtbr member

Wow, today felt awesome! (some road content)

Today, I took my first (new as of January) road bike out for it's inaugural ride on the road! It's been confined to the trainer and the apartment hallway for the last bit but Spring/Summer hit us here in northern Canada (Manitoba) abruptly this past week and the roads have dried up considerably.

Just wanted to say that it was really weird riding the road bike. Not use to the sharper turning and not used to the controls all that much or the get up and go it has. Different but not that bad of a ride. Took my HT out right after and wow, it felt...lighter. It's a bit difficult to describe but it just felt like I was overpowering my hardtail...for about the first 15mins. Then reality settled in and I realized once again that I am still the clyde that I once was.

Just wanted to share this. Curious, anyone else have a somewhat similar feeling?

mtbr member

Yea, like Ned Overend said...

...It's like going from "boxers" to "briefs". Road bikes are so responsive. When you're riding a bike with tires less than an inch wide that are inflated to about 90psi, you feel every ounce of effort. I got mine out on the open road for the first time this year on Saturday afternoon. I'm preparing for the move up to "Sport" this month and a heavy dose of road miles is on the agenda. Still don't feel to comfortable with cars whizing by though...

contains quinine
    i love how all my bikes ride differently - and love the quirks and advantages of each. i tend to get hooked on one for a while and ride it over and over... then i'll notice one that's neglected, hop on it one day, feel it's quirks, and want to ride it endlessly. it's the greatest endless cycle i know of...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Wizard of the Trail
    I just bought a road bike at the end of fall last year, so I didn't get to ride it much yet. I am also a little traffic shy. The cars whizzing by spooks me, afraid of getting nailed by a car I guess.

mtbr member

I agree..

...it is a bit nerve-racking with the traffic. I'm finding I'm really concentrating a lot more on the surroundings and the road. My fear of flatting took over due to the high pressures in the tires and the chance for road rash. With the MTB, I'm..."thrashing" for lack of a better word, more.

Still, I'm looking forward to getting comfortable on it - but not too comfortable. Still love my MTBs!

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    I just bought a road bike at the end of fall last year, so I didn't get to ride it much yet. I am also a little traffic shy. The cars whizzing by spooks me, afraid of getting nailed by a car I guess.