mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Would you pay $160 for Custom Fit?

How many of you XC racing types have paid to have your race bike Custom Fit. It will cost me $160 for one bike and an additional $100 for my roadie. I have heard all the benefits, but I also, to some degree, believe "it's not the bike, it's the motor."

Thoughts?
    "You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals."
    Booker T. Washington

http://www.cruxspot.blogspot.com

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by OdaNelli
    How many of you XC racing types have paid to have your race bike Custom Fit. It will cost me $160 for one bike and an additional $100 for my roadie. I have heard all the benefits, but I also, to some degree, believe "it's not the bike, it's the motor."

Thoughts?
    no. Only if they're going to deduct the cost from a new bike. Beyond that, unless you just won't miss the money, or you're an up-and-coming national level racer, you should be able to fit yourself (maybe with the help of a knowledgable friend) pretty easily..

scott

banned

In for a penny...

Thoughts?
    Why not? If you're spending 1, 2, 3 or more thousand dollars on a bike to begin with, what's $160.00 to ensure an optimum fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No, if you spent 10x that it should come with your bike. I would fit you for half that much.

Get help if you have special circumstances like an injury, extremely bowlegged/pigeon toed, lack of an arch in your foot, polio, or any other physical characteristic that would make you uneven.

You should be able complete the fit with a friend, a plumb line, and any number of cycling books for guidance. Then make certain it feels right on the dirt or road. Adjust, what does it do, good or bad? adjust, repeat until you earn your rainbow jersey.

Eddy Merckx was a freak when it came to adjusting his position even during the race. Watch "Sunday in Hell" and drink a beer every time he adjusts his bike and you won't make it to the end of the race. Oh and his nick name was "fast Eddy" so how could he be wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    No, but... I would pay $45 Canadian. Which I did but it was for medical reasons not racing on the advice of my physio.
    Turns out I fitted myself perfectly just by feel from riding so long and my sore knees due to me being a fat, lazy slob (hadn't ridden for over 5 years)

If you race and you have any doubts about your fit it would at least put your mind at ease but at that price I would expect a discount on a bike or if you end up buying gear a sweet deal on it.

That price seems pretty high to me. My local shop charges $40-50, which I think is reasonable given the amount of time they spend with you. I think fitting in general is very important given the constant repetitive nature of pedaling and the resulting stress on joints, etc.

I'm how far behind?

I've heard of people paying over 4 bills

But for that kind of money they get a video analysis complete with laser measuring of predetermined spots on their body. That kind of analysis will tell you if one leg is shorter than the other by a few mm and if it is causing your pelvis to sit crooked in the saddle.

Me?? I had my mechanic do the stick in the crotch and plumb bob technique.

Jim
    Fatter than most.

JORBA: Six Mile Run

Do you mean....

Quote Originally Posted by lawhoo
    That price seems pretty high to me. My local shop charges $40-50, which I think is reasonable given the amount of time they spend with you. I think fitting in general is very important given the constant repetitive nature of pedaling and the resulting stress on joints, etc.
    Are you talking about a custom fit frame, or fitting the bike with a proper size stem-bars and adjusting the position to fit your size? If you mean custom frame demensions, I'd say its worth the money if you cant find a good feel on the stock sizes. If your talking about the shop setting the bike up for you, I think its a bit much. I bought my first road bike about a month ago, and the shop spent around 2 hours helping me to get the position right. They swapped the bars(wider)and stem(shorter,higher) and helped me with saddle hight and position. After all was where it needed to be, they cut the cables and put it all together for me, helping to find the right placement of the brakes, getting my cleats lined up correctly, ect. The bike feels great and they didnt charge me a thing for the fit. I certainly appreciated their level of service, and for that, they have a devoted customer. I'll deal with them for the road bike and Larry at Mountain High Cyclery for the mountain bikes.

Find someone who is willing to take good care of you and support their business. A good relationship with a retailer is worth it.

Glad to Be Alive
    way too high...ask them like a poster above to deduct it from the cost of the bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Trail rider and racer

Thoughts?
    I don't think you should have to pay $260 for fitting if your going to spend a large amount of money on a bike. Unless your buying a bike that comes in 5-10 different sizes or is being built to your spec, it will be easier to throw a leg over and see your fit on a factory bike instead.
    Trev!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Why not? If you're spending 1, 2, 3 or more thousand dollars on a bike to begin with, what's $160.00 to ensure an optimum fit?
    Problem is, many bikes, and probably the bike the original poster is buying comes in a limited number of sizes, say for example S, M, ML, L and XL and as such it should be easy to find optimum fit by throwing a leg over the bike and checking the usual things that we all look for (Stand over etc)
    Trev!

Believer in Darwin

$160?

That price seems high. I read in Velonews about a guy who fits the PROS for that price using computers and his specially made inserts for you shoes. He charges 160 big ones. I believe this was in Idaho. Is that where you are?
    If you bought the bikes from that shop, then they should just do it for no extra cost.
    I race XC and I got a new bike last year. I built it up myself and raced poorly on it the first couple of times. My friend at the LBS fit my bike for me and BOOM!!! a world of difference. Same thing with the road bike. If you are racing, I would HIGHLY recommend getting your bike fit.
    Some can do it on their own, but if you spend that much money, get it done right.
    GLTY

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

custom fit flame war

See Wobble Naught Bike Fit in Boise for a pretty good flame war flareup over a local custom fit vendor in Boise.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

gearhead
    Dec 2004

Good job! Depends....

on what is included in the "fitting". I had this done over the winter at Bicycle Ranch in Scottsdale, AZ. I ended up spending two hours with a USCF certified coach who analyzed not only my bike, but also me: flexibility, ergonomic issues, any comfort problems, strength issues, pedal stroke, etc. It also included videotaping and some referrals and suggested exercises (I needed to improve core strength).

The result? We dropped my saddle height pretty dramatically. This helped with a perceived leg discrepancy in my pedal stroke and kept my hips straight ( I had been reaching too much). He also emphasized that this should help smooth out the power delivery in my pedaling. Also changes were made in bar/stem height to help with some back issues that I occasionally encountered.

Now, about four months later, I can say that it was absolutely worth it. I've observed pretty significant increases in power output (Powertap) compared to last season. My first race is in a week and a half so I'll know better soon.

Basically, it comes down to how confident you are in your bike setup (obviously I wasn't), what level of services are offered, and how serious you are on improving.

recovering roadie

Merckx

Eddy had a back injury that would have really benefited from a good scientific bike fit, FYI.

mtbr member
    I also think it depends. If they are going to do a lot of personal stuff like jp rich had, then yeah, it might be woth it if you've got the disposable income. But if you are just looking to size the bike parts properly, check out www.wrenchscience.com, and they have an application online to fit you. You'll need to take a bunch of body measurements. But it won't look at things like unequal leg length (but you can do that by sitting in a chair and taking measurements).

i worship Mr T

i have

Thoughts?
    twice, in fact.

why do you want to have a custom fit done? is your bike uncomfortable? do you think it doesn't fit you properly? if so, why? if not then why spend $160 to have someone tell you your bike fits you fine?

the only reason i would recommend paying to have a custom fit done is if you are having some problem that you can't fix. this is the reason i did it. i had a custom frame that i spent a silly amount of money on and for the life of me i could not get comfortable on. i got a recommendation from a roadie friend for someone to do a custom fit, paid $90 and had the fit done. i was not overwhelmingly impressed with the job he did and 6 months later i was still having problems so i went to another fitter (who knew mtbs) and paid $100 to be fit. he tried everything in the book to get me comfortable on the bike and eventually said that it was hopeless, the geometry of the frame was totally wrong for me and my best bet was to sell the bike. (which i did) he then set me up on my backup bike and that was that. he also eyeballed me on my roadie and said my set up looked good. since i am completely comfortable on my roadie that was good enough for me.

do i think it was worth the money for the custom fit? yes, had i not worked with the second fitter i probably would have kept riding the uncomfortable bike and thinking it was something wrong with me. it also taught me a lot about what i do and do not want in a custom frame. hopefully with my new Racer X frame (to be built up soon) i got it right.

but, if you have no complaints about your rides the way they are currently set up then i don't think it would be worth $260 to have someone tell you your bikes fit you fine.

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 04-27-2005 at 11:01 AM.
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the responses.
    From a post above "But for that kind of money they get a video analysis complete with laser measuring of predetermined spots on their body. That kind of analysis will tell you if one leg is shorter than the other by a few mm and if it is causing your pelvis to sit crooked in the saddle."

BINGO! this isn't a run of the mill job, this is the whole video, gate analysis, what the body does under pressure, how to maximize the body and position w/out waisting energy, etc... shabang. This type of fit is more designed for the serious Race type, who has serious intent on Top Ten/Podium finishes. Provided, winning isn't everything, but I seriously wonder if it will help my overall position in the Peleton(road) and overall ability for the big push at the end of an XC race. With all the major Road Riders and XC riders that do get it done around here,(Co) I am intrigued.

As for doing myself. Done that! Overall my XC bike feels pretty good. Except for, eventually in a longer race, I tend to use my Lower Left back to make up for the inadequzcies of my right quad. Hence the reason why I'm wondering if it's worth it to have the hi fi job.

Thanks again for your comments/advice. Feel free to keep them coming!
    "You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals."
    Booker T. Washington

Linoleum Knife
    Whoops = dubblepost
    Last edited by forkboy; 04-28-2005 at 06:43 AM.

Linoleum Knife

Thoughts?
    You're up on the front range, right? Is it that national sports medicine place in Boulder? The world famous one?

If so, hell yes.

BUT - I'd pay the $160 to get set up on my roadie. Then I'd apply most of those techniques to my MTB. MTB positioning isn't as critical as roadbike positioning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I had one....

When I bought my custom Serotta road bike I had a fit done that normally would have cost $200, but my friend was the fitter so it was free. After I got the bike and accumulated all the right sizes in parts that were recommended during the fit I absolutely would pay $200 for it. I have never been more comfortable or had more power than I now do on my road bike.

Now if this is a mountain bike I think it's a little different story, mountain bikes have more idiosynchrocies to them. Like what type of riding, suspension, etc. I know that he offers a custom fit for mountain bikes too, but after all the years I've mountain biked I think I have it pretty well figured out, although I guess I wouldn't know until I tried. I wasn't sure the road fit was going to do as much to help me as it did.

If your gonna drop a boat load of money on a frame and it is a custom then I would say go for it. If it is for a stock frame without any custom altering it might not be worth it. I would go to some of the sites and try thier fit programs first and if you end up with what you've got and your still uncomfortable or think you can be more comfortable then spend the $160.

I was married once and now I'm not so I tend to spend lots of time with my bikes, so $160 doeasn't seem like much to make my relationship better.

Good luck, Dan

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    When I bought my custom Serotta road bike I had a fit done that normally would have cost $200, but my friend was the fitter so it was free.
    Most of the time, if you buy a new bike from the same shop that did the fitting, they'll take the fitting cost out of the bike's cost.

Drewdane is right. If you spend that much for a bike, spend a little more and make sure it fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Most of the time, if you buy a new bike from the same shop that did the fitting, they'll take the fitting cost out of the bike's cost.

Drewdane is right. If you spend that much for a bike, spend a little more and make sure it fits perfectly.
    I've noticed that a few of the responses pertain to a "new bike"
    As for me, this concerns 2 bikes that I have had for just over a year. When I purchased my roadie, it was because I knew I was moving up a class on the Mountian and needed something to get quality training miles. Since joining the new team, I've also gotten into road racing. My mountain is a Santa Cruz Superlight that I raced all season last year. Last year ws my first year on a Mountain bike, as well as my first year racing. I had a pretty good year hitting a podium in all but 2. Either way, I was WAY clueless. In my upgrade debut on the mountian, I managed a respectable 15th with a mechanical. Not bad, but not great either. I love how humbled road biking has prepared me to be, as it is much more likely that I may not see a podium at all this year. Now that it is much more competitive, I am more intrigued by these custom fit jobs. It would seem that more people are leaning to the DIY perspective, with a few people that highly recommend the custom fit. Then, one might conclude that there are less people that have gone for the fit, but those that have are very pleased.

Still unsure...
    Booker T. Washington

Penis Goat!
    Then, one might conclude that there are less people that have gone for the fit, but those that have are very pleased.

Still unsure...
    I still say yes. At the least, it should make you more comfortable on your current bikes. But think of it for the long run - if they write out measurements for your ideal setup, they should let you keep these. That means you'll have them in hand for any future bike purchases.