Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    26er

Would you buy a non-huck DVD?

It seems like a lot of people on this board make there own videos and post them on this forum, so I hope everyone can give me a little persepctive. Would you be willing to purchase a mountain bike dvd that focused on the spirt of epic mountain bike rides and flowing and technical singletrack instead of creating a hucking mountain bike video similar to what has been so popular lately. A local filming company has contacted me about creating a mountain bike video in Idaho and I think a well done non-huck video would sell just as well if properly done. Can it make money? Would you buy it?

A percentage of the proceeds from the sale of the DVD would go back into local trails to help address our maintenance backlog.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member

Its probably the only one I'd buy

After a while, watching people "go big" is boring. Same old shots. I'd love to see something that actually captured the spirit like some of the great Roadie movies from the past. I'm waiting for the DVD on Off Road to Athens. It looks interesting though I have as much in common with elite racers as I do with the Red Bull Rampage. I suppose I have more in common with them than people who try to make their bikes into gliders.

Surfin' da mountain

Yeah...I bought The Collective

Make something similar to that or focusing more on the ride, the trail, and less on the huck.

It also needs to be on trails that we can go ride or dream of riding. For example in "The Collective" they ride these hills in Maui. Those weren't trails! However Maui does have a string of trails that extend from the very top of Haleakala to Poli-Poli State Park. The're not connected to each other real well, but can be hoofed from one to the other.

The Big Island has a killer collection of trails, but you have to find them. Also UT, VT, Pisgah, NorCal, and OR could have coverage about "the ride". Do an average rider's perspective of Whistler Mountain Bike Park (I'm talking the trails, helmet cam, carving the corners).

Do coverage of other parks like Keystone. I understand Keystone is pretty good in the summer - haven't been there when its green - don't know.

thatz my $0.02
    Last edited by Cucucachu; 05-13-2005 at 06:58 AM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    what rev-b said. it would be very refreshing to see some nice xc video. i could actually care less about jumps and the like.

Salad Days
    Yeah, I usually skip through the dirt jumping anyways. I can't identify with that style of riding (yet)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not that it helps you, but my favorite are race vids..Trans Contanental, Synopsis...

mtbr member

I already did

Cascade Cream Puff 10th Aniversery DVD.

http://www.backcountryproductions.com/CCPDVD.html

Lots of helmet-cam shots of flowing singletrack through the forest. It felt like I was racing it myself, only faster (must be a camera lens effect).

We get titles?
    Yes, if I was to buy a DVD, a non-huch DVD would be great. As the others have said, you can only watch so many hucks before they all look the same. Good fast singletrack is fun to watch.

But, I don't buy bike DVD's. So I guess the answer is 'No.'

locked - time out
    I used to love "Tread" when it first came out - I really like "The Collective" now, and agree with the above poster that it would be good to see a bike video about "the ride" - I do think that it would have to be very well put together to be successful though (good music, videography, incorporation of rider perspectives, etc...) I also think that you should include highly technical and other aspects of riding and not solely XC riding / racing - I own "Earthed", and while I do like the video, it gets boring watching a bunch of racers rip DH. Not sure if that helps any but...

Village Dirtbag
    You know, I was just about to make a post about whether such a video was available. I'd like to get a mountain bike vid, but I don't want to get just a bunch of shots of people downhilling or going big set to angry music. I'm looking for the mtb equivelent of a Warren Miller ski movie, or the "Step into liquid" surf movie. It would have some go fast/go big stuff, but it would also have lots of regular people and unique and interesting locations, with a bit of humor put in as well. Music would be, for the most part, more mellow and "flowie" (e.g. Sam Roberts, Jack Johnson). Such a video would really make the average guy want to go out and ride.

For such a video to work, narration, production value and cinematography must be very good as in "Step Into Liquid" or a Warren Miller movie. I'm not going to buy a video consisting of nothing but video clips.

So, does anybody know if there is anything similar to this out there today?

Slowest Rider

No Huck for me

Like all, I enjoy seeing a big huck or two where you wonder how the guy survives. (Of course, I also got the DH crash DVD that has a lot of pain.) I got the Collective, but didn't enjoy it that much - gets old after a few stunts. I also can't relate. It's more like going to the circus and being amazed. It's only good a couple times.

I much more enjoy rides of flowing singletrack with mild technical such as logs, drops, rocks, etc. I like to see how other riders handle the terrain and enjoy the flow. I also love biking in great mountain scenery.

The MOST AMAZING bike video clip I ever saw was early in an IMAX Everest movie. They mounted an IMAX projector on the biker's head (who was a climber getting in shape) and had him going real fast down narrow tight twisty singletrack at high speed way up high on the edge of cliff (in Washington state, I believe?). They probably had to clean the seats and floors from everyone in the audience pissing their pants, or the least the ones who kept their eyes open.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

banned

hucksuck

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    It seems like a lot of people on this board make there own videos and post them on this forum, so I hope everyone can give me a little persepctive. Would you be willing to purchase a mountain bike dvd that focused on the spirt of epic mountain bike rides and flowing and technical singletrack instead of creating a hucking mountain bike video similar to what has been so popular lately. A local filming company has contacted me about creating a mountain bike video in Idaho and I think a well done non-huck video would sell just as well if properly done. Can it make money? Would you buy it?

A percentage of the proceeds from the sale of the DVD would go back into local trails to help address our maintenance backlog.
    I'd rather ride my bikes than watch a video, though a non-huckaduck video might be a refreshing change from what apppears to be the norm if done right.

banned

wasn't the climber

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    The MOST AMAZING bike video clip I ever saw was early in an IMAX Everest movie. They mounted an IMAX projector on the biker's head (who was a climber getting in shape) and had him going real fast down narrow tight twisty singletrack at high speed way up high on the edge of cliff (in Washington state, I believe?). They probably had to clean the seats and floors from everyone in the audience pissing their pants, or the least the ones who kept their eyes open.
    It was near Moab and a stunt rider(s), not the climber himself.

Rolling
    I'd watch a video like that...

I remember some of the pieces in the first Kranked video of just riding single track in Durango, put to great music. It was awesome.

As long as it has good music, good dynamic flow, I would love it. I also like videos where you get a little bit about the riders via commentary or interview.

But to watch it over and over again, it HAS to have good music. Most of my videos wind up as background music for parties.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Do it. Please.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr dismember

Yes

I certainly admire those hucking skills and I wish I had them. But I'd rather see some scenic singletrack and technical descents like Pete's and MTBBill's videos. I'd love to see Bill's latest Hurricane Cliffs or Pete's Norway videos on a big TV.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    I'm looking for the mtb equivelent of a Warren Miller ski movie
    Word. I still love Warren Miller movies even though I gave up skiing 20 years ago.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

My pants are smart.
    Jun 2004
    i am always up for inspirational/motivational viewing...

i have an extensive climbing video collection (free hueco! my fav) - and i am thinking of starting up a bike video collection. i love the www.petefagerlin.com stuff.

videos are always good when you can't get to the bike if one is away on trips or just looking to psych yourself up the night before a long ride. sounds like a good idea to me - put it in a bag... i'll buy it!

Glad to Be Alive
    nah I like the air time
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Definitely.

My fav mtb videos (that I play on my pc while at work) are a mixture of Pete's stuff, reTread, and some PedalMasher stuff.

Definitely welcome new entries.

Glad to Be Alive
    maybe if you add some hot chicks in skimpy attire
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

26er

I doubt there would be chicks in skimpy attire

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    maybe if you add some hot chicks in skimpy attire
    but there will be some women and even a dog. I will not be writing the screenplay but just helping get riders and cool places to ride. I have always loved the warren miller films and those always seem to appeal to many people.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    It was near Moab and a stunt rider(s), not the climber himself.
    The riders [in Everest] were Moab locals Laurie Hutchinson and Crash. 15 seconds of fame?

Back on topic: I want a movie that is half abusive climbs, half abusive descents, with lotsa badass scenery.

The Collective at least had non-hucking "trail riding" segements, but stopped short of actually showing anyone riding uphill.
    Last edited by singletrack; 05-12-2005 at 01:46 PM.

Village Dirtbag
    Yeah- I'd be curious to see what sort of terrain the world's best technical climbers (trials riders?) could clean.

Barneys Unite!

No skimpily dressed women? A dog?

That clinches it. You are the devil and not Ghandi.

Ghandi loved skimpily clad women.

But I'd buy such a video, especially if it's made around Boise.

TF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast