Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

'winter beater' conundrum

741 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dtrek4500 
#1 ·
Cold and wet place the greatest demands on components, yet we ride a lesser bike in these conditions.
For years, I have chosen winter to disassemble my Loco Moto for thorough maintenance and turn to my 96 diamondback. From FS to hardtail, from discs to V's, King to XT, chi chi drivetrain to ancient LX. This year I have a RX 100 and am preparing to repeat back to ice encrusted V brake arms, harsh aluminum jolting, and pawls getting stuck in frozen peanut butter-like grease, muttering along the way about performance. Enjoying the new bike again after sucking it up on the beater is like feeling good after ceasing to hit yourself with a hammer.
How many ride their thoroughbred number one bike through all conditions?

#5 ·
I rode my ti hardtail the last couple winters when my rear air shock refused to hold air in very cold temps. I'm going to try the Heckler with 5th Element this winter.

I don't have a commute (home office) and try to stay off the roads and out of the salt bath.

#7 ·
Mine is a 98 Ross Mt. Hood. It got the job done well last year, all that happened to it was the chain snapped, and that was the original chain. By the way, this is just used when I can't ride on the trails when there is too much snow, becasue I have a set of nokian tires for the trek and turner, and I still ride theses bikes on the trails in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.