mtbr member

Wild horses in So Cal

So three of us rode this tailwinds ride on monday. its right next to the 14 frwy, close to I-5. we came upon about five horses in a little valley area and passed them slowly after they had seen us. we continued on to where the fireroad goes left and we entered the wooded singletrack. after a few hundred yards my buddy starts yelling at us to stop. he kept hearing branches snap behind him and thought it may be a mountain lion, thats when he saw a huge pair of nostrels over his shoulder!
    So the horses are chasing us down the trail and we stop to get the heck outta the way. Then they stop behind us and are afraid to pass. Turns out there are about ten of them now, more than the first group we saw. finally a big white one pushes his way to the front and they all follow him past. They were hauling ass, a few feet from us, ground was shaking and branches were snapping and the trail is getting chewed up. I only wish i had brought the helmet cam! scott

34N 118W

who? what? where?

Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    So three of us rode this tailwinds ride on monday. its right next to the 14 frwy, close to I-5.
    hey that's my backyard. Do you live in the area?

sounds like a cool little adventure....more fun than all the frogs I've been dodging.

Jeff

mtbr member

sorry about the trespass

didnt know it was yours! next time i'll knock.
    yeah, i'm in canyon country.

where are the frogs? i've just been seeing lizards. scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

pewpewpew Moderator
    That is so wild! How exhilarating. Was the white one a stallion?

The only thing we get up here is stampeding cows. Actually the little calves are pretty funny, they are SO curious. They stare, then run sideways a little, then stop and stare, then run sideways . . .

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Glad to hear you observed proper trail etiquette by stopping to let the horses by.

Were you near San Fernando Rd.? Which side of the Fwy? Iím from Castaic.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    So three of us rode this tailwinds ride on monday. its right next to the 14 frwy, close to I-5. we came upon about five horses in a little valley area and passed them slowly after they had seen us. we continued on to where the fireroad goes left and we entered the wooded singletrack. after a few hundred yards my buddy starts yelling at us to stop. he kept hearing branches snap behind him and thought it may be a mountain lion, thats when he saw a huge pair of nostrels over his shoulder!
    So the horses are chasing us down the trail and we stop to get the heck outta the way. Then they stop behind us and are afraid to pass. Turns out there are about ten of them now, more than the first group we saw. finally a big white one pushes his way to the front and they all follow him past. They were hauling ass, a few feet from us, ground was shaking and branches were snapping and the trail is getting chewed up. I only wish i had brought the helmet cam! scott
    I've discovered that horses either love bikes or hate them. The ones that love bike scare the crap out of you when they're running behind you -- you're redlining about to bust your lungs all of the top tube and the sound of pounding hooves and heavy breathing is getting closer and closer (that's happened to me on two rides now). Then there's the kind of horses that hate bikes and try to kill you with their kicking hooves. Neither scenario makes me very comfortable! :-P Although of the two, I prefer the friendly riders who's horse likes to run with bikes to the latter.

Down here in San Diego, attitudes among horse people and mountain bikers have slowly been changing and there is a lot less animosity out on the trails. Perhaps because mountain bikers in general are doing their part to yield the trail more frequently and the horse riders are coming to the realization that weíre not going away, so we all better learn to get along. Maybe itís just a younger generation of ridersÖ who knows.

mtbr member

Dunno about the stallion, went by pretty quickly...

we parked at S.F. and rode up Sierra towards I-5 then under the fwy then up. it empties into elsmere cyn. i beleive. then you can catch the nike base fireroad and take the duck into whitney cyn. scott