Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    try and catch me
    Mar 2011

Wild Animals cant keep up.!

So yesterday I was exploring the back woods/ trails less traveled. Im cruzin along at about %50 power jammin on my ipod, then i round a corner. and to my suprise theres a deer ! about 10' in front of me standing in this little dinky over wooded trail i was on. So i imediately crank it up to full speed, trees are hittin me in the face, im having to bunny hop over whole bushes, but for about 100 ft i was nippin at his feet, through several turns until the trail just seemed to disapear. I kept up with it til the woods closed in around me, and that sly little dear just kept goin. But as i stood there catching my breath I couldnt help but think to myself how awesome i am to be able to keep up with a deer on their home turf.

- riding out of San Antonio TX., OP Schneable, government canyon-

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nothing better than a close encounter with nature! A few weeks ago I got to spin along behind a bobcat up here in NTX, until he turned it on and left me in the dust. Enjoy them, but stay respectful of their turf.

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by J_BAT
    So yesterday I was exploring the back woods/ trails less traveled. Im cruzin along at about %50 power jammin on my ipod, then i round a corner. and to my suprise theres a deer ! about 10' in front of me standing in this little dinky over wooded trail i was on. So i imediately crank it up to full speed, trees are hittin me in the face, im having to bunny hop over whole bushes, but for about 100 ft i was nippin at his feet, through several turns until the trail just seemed to disapear. I kept up with it til the woods closed in around me, and that sly little dear just kept goin. But as i stood there catching my breath I couldnt help but think to myself how awesome i am to be able to keep up with a deer on their home turf.

- riding out of San Antonio TX., OP Schneable, government canyon-

Not meaning to come off as a SMARTA$$, but unless you can crank out about 30-35 MPH there's no way you could keep up W/a deer if he had the hammer down. I've clocked one running along side of my car for about 50 yds @ the speeds I mentioned & I don't think he was going flat out..

I suspect that the deer didn't perceive you as a dire threat & was just running fast enough to stay ahead.

Still, I'll bet your heart was hammering from the adrenelin rush.

mtbr member
    I can't believe you would chase wild life. That ought to help trail advocacy....

jk, I dunno where the 'tongue in cheek' button is.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTX
    Nothing better than a close encounter with nature! A few weeks ago I got to spin along behind a bobcat up here in NTX, until he turned it on and left me in the dust. Enjoy them, but stay respectful of their turf.
    had a similar bobcat encounter once, thought it was a dog running on the trail until it took a sharp turn and i got a good look at it....then i kinda figured i should give it some space.

Over the Hill
    The only animals I have chased on my bike are roadrunners, I know not cool but I just can't help myself. Beep! Beep!

Wile E. Coyote

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    I've spooked a bird on the trail a couple times. Both times they would fly down the trail and I would be shaddowing them at roughly the same speed until they turned off the trail. Pretty cool to follow a bird down the trail, as long as they don't poo as some sort of defense mechanism like a fighter jet dropping a flare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
    Not meaning to come off as a SMARTA$$, but unless you can crank out about 30-35 MPH there's no way you could keep up W/a deer if he had the hammer down. I've clocked one running along side of my car for about 50 yds @ the speeds I mentioned & I don't think he was going flat out..

I suspect that the deer didn't perceive you as a dire threat & was just running fast enough to stay ahead.

Still, I'll bet your heart was hammering from the adrenelin rush.
    Agreed! Those suckers are super fast (if only for 1/2 mile or so). There is no slowing down to get around turns for them either. Graceful as can be just flying through the forest no matter how dense it appears.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've seen a deer and some wild turkey, it's pretty cool seeing wild animals on a ride. But here's a nice buck running next to my friends car here in Colorado

29er zealot
    nice shot!

mtbr member
    I came across an otter recently and he decided to run down the trail for about 50 yards before he hit the water which was always right by the trail. That was one fast little booger. I didn't try to gain on him, but I thought if this guy stops and turns to fight, he may put the tooth to me. So I hollered out and he dove into the water, finally.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '14 Niner ROS9 HT 1x10

usually cranky
    that picture is incredable!

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Hey guys, I dodn't want to hijack this thread W/a long post so I posted one of my own.

Let's Hear About Your Strangest Wildlife Encounters

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not me and not bike related but pretty amazing :

Did I catch a niner?
    Had something similar happen to me, the deer just kinda popped out. When it started to run it actually ran with me as I was riding for a bit then it stopped being stupid and went in the woods.

I've also had a big buck stare me down in the winter while with it's family. And I almost dominated a pack of wild turkeys.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Cantankerous Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd

Next best thing to biking, XC skiing.

I have a set of black Diamond poles similar to the ones seen in the vid.

That moose did one helluva trail breaking job!

mtbr member
    Good stuff.

I pedaled through a herd of grazing cattle, one got spooked and took off then the rest followed. At one point we were all moving at the same speed for a while, it was surreal!

Just for your viewing pleasure, this guy used to grab a few zzzz's behind our house...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wild Animals cant keep up.!-susans-buck.jpg  

My cup runneth over
    A skunk popped out on the trail ahead of me on a night ride last year and kept waddling down the trail in front of me for a couple of hundred yards. He was spotlighted by my light and didn’t seem to care. I slowed down and followed him down until he got off the trail. No intention of catching up with him though…

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whos that guy
    I've seen a deer and some wild turkey, it's pretty cool seeing wild animals on a ride. But here's a nice buck running next to my friends car here in Colorado

very nice shot!!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by whos that guy
    I don't see the glowing red nose!
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Climbed a 2900' road to the singletrack and was totally winded when I saw something running down the road towards me, above Libby, MT. When finally focused at what was happening a moose was running right towards me but ran right by. 2 mountain bikers were riding behind it, keeping their distance. Then 5 deer flies that follow the moose their entire lives, living off blood started to attack me. I had to swat every one to stop the blood letting.
    As soon as I got on the singletrack a grouse spooked, maybe me more than the bird.
    agmtb

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I spooked a deer on a trail coming around a turn. In two instant leaps he cleared a row of 10' tall bushes that was about 50 feet away. He disappeared before I could even blink my eyes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    Had something similar happen to me, the deer just kinda popped out. When it started to run it actually ran with me as I was riding for a bit then it stopped being stupid and went in the woods.

I've also had a big buck stare me down in the winter while with it's family. And I almost dominated a pack of wild turkeys.
    I once dominated a BOTTLE of wild turkey!!

mtbr member
    I was spooked by a 14ft alligator once - I decided it was against my best interest to chase him.....

livin' large
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd

Where was that taken? it looked similar to a area i was skiing in this winter
    it tied the room together man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast