mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What are the top 5 things you have gotten (advice or purchase) from mtbr??

I have been on on the boards for a while and wanted to give credit to mtbr.com team for creating one of the best net boards I frequent. For the past 4 years I have been mountain biking, aall of the mountain bike purchases as well as upgrades have come from real world experiences from many of the mtbr.com community posters. I read many of the bike specific mags (and have subscriptions to one of them), but these boards have helped me save a a ton of cash as well as find the best mtb equipment for the way I ride. So, here are the top 5 things that you guys have helped with my buying decision:

5. Stan's Goop for Sealant
    4. UST Wheels and Tires
    3. Sportworks 2" inch bike rack (best damn rack on EARTH)
    2. 2004 Hollowpoint Expert (First FS ride, and it still rocks!)
    1. 2006 Blur LT Completely the way I wanted (IMO, the best and lightest 5" FS rig I have ridden and now proudly own)

What are the top 5 things you have gotten (advice or purchase) from mtbr??
    Last edited by Moo Shoo Pork; 12-16-2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Your last sentence should have been the subject.
    This would have been more appropriate at THANKSgiving.

given that:

5. trail reviews
    4. Product reviews
    3. *RT* race reports
    2. flame wars n trolls
    1. fill the work day up w/ mindless surfing

oh--almost forgot-- and el supremo numero uno--- a free RBR joisey from ultralord when I returned from Iraq.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ive usually found people here more then happy to help with legitimate questions. other boards tend to just jump on people and never take people serious. nothing pisses me off more when i have a real question and some ****tard gives an answer that just wastes my time.
    Just ride.....

mtbr member
    I like it here because of all the veal brat recipes that get posted! Mmmm veal!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

True

oh--almost forgot-- and el supremo numero uno--- a free RBR joisey from ultralord when I returned from Iraq.[/QUOTE]

Great to see fellow members give props to guys and gals in the Armed Forces!

VRC Illuminati
    1. Creation of the Vintage Retro Classic Forum (of which I mod)

2. Some nice MTBR swag for helping out at the MTBR booth at Sea Otter and flying MTBR colors when I race.

3. Learned some of the greatest trails I've ever been on from Gregg.

4. Some of my most trustworthy friends have come from meeting people though these forums...still some of who I've not met in person.

5. I don't want to think about how much money I've spent on parts found in the classifieds. They've also helped me cash in on stuff I was selling.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Feeling a little taller
    Yeah, well I think the regional discussion boards suck! I never ride anywhere and the darned ultralord ran out of stickers so I can't shamelessly plug this horrible site in the places I don't ever ride!

As for my top 5:

5) pronouns -
    Now I could tell you Rafaella Gabriela and Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla and Albert Andreas Armadillo found an aardvark, a kangaroo, and a rhinoceros. And now that aardvark and that kangaroo and that rhinoceros belong respectively to Rafaella Gabriela Sarsaparilla and Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla and Albert Andreas Armadillo!
    4) adverbs -
    Use it with a verb, it tells us how you did,
    Where it happened, where you're going, where you've been.
    Use it with another adverb -- that's the end.
    And even more...
    3) adjectives -
    Next time you go on a trip,
    Remember this little tip:
    The minute you get back,
    They'll ask you this and that,
    You can describe people, places and things...
    Simply unpack your adjectives.
    You can do it with adjectives.
    Tell them 'bout it with adjectives.
    You can shout it with adjectives.
    2) verbs -
    When I'm feeling really active
    I run, I ride, I swim, I fly!
    Other times when life is easy
    I rest, I sleep, I sit, I lie.
    1) nouns -
    Well every person you can know,
    And every place that you can go,
    And anything that you can show,
    You know they're nouns.
    Last edited by Dan'ger; 12-19-2005 at 08:44 AM.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Freshly Fujified

My list

Kind of tough to narrow it down to the five best things this site has provided me with information about, but here goes:

5) New trails via reviews and meeting people from the boards
    4) Advice on riding techniques
    3) Product information in general via the reviews and peoples opinions in the forums.
    2) A better understanding of how diversified "mountain biking" is
    1) Vendors such as Jared at Downshift Cycles, Larry at Mountain High and Darren at PUSH. Their product knowledge, excellent customer service and most importantly, high degree of passion for the sport have made building a bike from the ground up an excellent experience.

Again, there's so much more this site provides that it's difficult to limit the list, but these are the ones that came to mind first.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

in no particular order

-- Confirmation of my belief that Santa Claus wears brown.
    -- Ride reports, serious and humorous, *rt*, Rainman, etc.
    -- Pictures that inspire
    -- Links to other sites (sorry Francios)
    -- Wrenching advice

aka baycat
    1) Serious Finacial Woes

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Feeling a little caffinated?
    Don't harsh my mello

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Feeling a little caffinated?
    No caffeine yet - giddy with the lack of sleep of having ridden in Palm Springs (Goat Trails) on Saturday night with Fred-da-Trog and then in the Santa Monica hills with Fred, Aosty and Impy on Sunday morning followed by a long drive back in the rain and wind and my wife waking me up all night saying "you're snoring again!"
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Samsonite Tester
    [size=-1]Submitted by bornstrong from texas
    Date Reviewed: 8/5/2005 5:14:59 AM [/size]
    [size=-1]Duration Product Used:[/size][size=-1]3 months[/size]
    [size=-1]Strengths:[/size][size=-1]I like the stickers because if you remove some letters it spells something else, I can't remember what though. [/size]
    [size=-1]Weaknesses:[/size][size=-1]The stickers were clearcoated so its hard to remove some of the letters.[/size]
    [size=-1]Bottom Line:[/size][size=-1]If your gonna try and spell Special ed, pick a frame with no clearcoat its a pain in the ass.[/size]
    [size=-1]Value Rating: Overall Rating: [/size]

Then you find these numb skulls can screw a rating .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I used to have serious doubts about the ratings after I posted a 1 chili rating on a set of Tru Vativ cranks which was removed the next day (mind you, I didn't use any foul language or anything like that). The cranks had a serious flaw that many people posted the same thing about, and all of the posts talking about that issue were removed. I reposted the review again and same thing - removed. Then I went to the mtbr homepage and saw that Tru Vativ was a sponsor, so I became skepticle of all of the reviews. This was a couple of years ago, so things may have changed...

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by oddestfellow
    I used to have serious doubts about the ratings after I posted a 1 chili rating on a set of Tru Vativ cranks which was removed the next day (mind you, I didn't use any foul language or anything like that). The cranks had a serious flaw that many people posted the same thing about, and all of the posts talking about that issue were removed. I reposted the review again and same thing - removed. Then I went to the mtbr homepage and saw that Tru Vativ was a sponsor, so I became skepticle of all of the reviews. This was a couple of years ago, so things may have changed...
    I got a suggestive PM asking me to change my critical review of a sponsers product.

If you have had posts removed , how does this one stay up ?
    [size=-1]Strengths:[/size][size=-1]I like the stickers because if you remove some letters it spells something else, I can't remember what though. [/size]
    [size=-1]Weaknesses:[/size][size=-1]The stickers were clearcoated so its hard to remove some of the letters.[/size]
    [size=-1]Bottom Line:[/size][size=-1]If your gonna try and spell Special ed, pick a frame with no clearcoat its a pain in the ass.[/size]

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Keep The Rubber Side Down

My List..

Is not only comprised of things, but also relationships:

5- Product Reviews: Bikes, Frames, Forks, Wheels, etc
    4- Riding advice: Given and recieved.
    3- Humor: Over the years, the flame wars and other assorted crackpot post have been an endless source of entertainment.
    2-Trail Reviews: self explanatory
    1-Countless friends and accuentances: I think I've met well over 150+ axe murderers at various gatherings, and other my travels through out the U.S.A. and Canada.

Thank you Gregg, Francois and the rest of the gang for all of your "hard" work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

PITY THE FOOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Yeah, well I think the regional discussion boards suck! I never ride anywhere and the darned ultralord ran out of stickers so I can't shamelessly plug this horrible site in the places I don't ever ride!

As for my top 5:

I love Schoolhouse Rock!
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

taxi mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    I got a suggestive PM asking me to change my critical review of a sponsers product.
    this does not seem right. did you change?

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by eebeedah
    this does not seem right. did you change?
    No . --------------

Hup, Hup
    I am good friends with a guy that was banned from a certain race promoters endurance series for stating his own opinion.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel

If you have had posts removed , how does this one stay up ?
    The third time I reposted my critical review, I put right in it that 2 of my previous critical reviews had been removed as had the other ones that mentioned the issue with the crank. I then got an email from mtbr saying that they do not remove reviews based on negative comments toward their sponsors. I checked back about a month later for the heck of it - review was gone.

I'm guessing that the "Special Ed" one stays on their because it isn't openly critical of one of mtbr's sponsors.