Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Why do you ride?

My brother and I keep a blog about different rides or experiences we have on the trail.

In reading his post today while it is raining, I read the sentence... "It (biking) is about staying connected with myself. Change is good, bigger can be better, but with all the change we cannot lose the spirit that brought us into the sport, the reason we ride."

ONE TRAIL AT A TIME...: It's not about the size

With all of the marketing and wheel size debates and new tech, I often think how crazy it all is and sometimes lose sight of why I love riding.

I mean, I am grateful for new tech as much as the next guy, but riding is not about the newest and best for me. So, I started thinking why I start riding and thought I would pass that question on to you guys...

Why do you bike?
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Pure love for the outdoors,
    Pure love for the sport,
    It has become a part of me as breathing air!!!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Because its fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Freedom. Freedom from the daily grind of school and life. Few things can actually take you to a different place and let you become one with yourself. Riding is one of those things.

26 for life.
    Live to ride.
    Ride to live.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Pleasure and be c ause its fun and on sat I will be riding with a team of 4 in a 24hr race called the mont here in australia at our nations capitol Canberra also called the kow as its raced in kowan forest by a company called selfpropelledindustries (pretty cool name )

26 for life.
    Ahh, Kowan.
    Can't believe it's been so long since the 06 24 there. My mother died while I was on the way up there from Tas, but she sure as hell wouldn't me to ditch my team (top 20 in open men).
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That was my first 24hr as well, my intro the the discipline, though not nearly as high as top 20 lol.

Rogue Exterminator
    Fun and exercise
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2006

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post

With all of the marketing and wheel size debates and new tech, I often think how crazy it all is and sometimes lose sight of why I love riding.
    My Dad passed away a year or so ago aged 83. When he was young he used to do long tours, (as in weeks), on a very heavy steel framed 3 speed Sturmey Archer. A few months before he died I asked him how hard it was riding around with full camping kit with only three gears. He then told me the Sturmey Archer was broken when he bought the bike and he only ever had 2 gears !! He could never get it fixed. At the time I was building a 29er for bikepacking and was agonising over the decision between an 8 speed or 11 speed Alfine. Brought it all back in perspective a bit !!! Just grab a bike and enjoy the ride !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Seemed like a better idea than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick...

Though come to think of it that very thing has happened more than once while riding.

You know, you make an excellent point! I should quit riding and find another sport that does not involve being jabbed in the eye with a sharp stick!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    Seemed like a better idea than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick...

Though come to think of it that very thing has happened more than once while riding.

You know, you make an excellent point! I should quit riding and find another sport that does not involve being jabbed in the eye with a sharp stick!
    You could just wear eye protection.

I ride because it's fun and makes me feel peaceful inside. I love the feeling of peace I get from being outside riding for hours at a time. I don't get that cooped up inside all day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by plasticmann View Post
    Just grab a bike and enjoy the ride !!!
    I think this is what we need more of nowadays!!

I'm really like reading all the different reasons people ride and I can relate to just about all of them.. Well except getting a stick in my eye.. That would suck; get some glasses

Retro on Steroids
    You're overthinking this stuff.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    I started riding about 4 years ago to get in shape (EDIT - funny, I went back and read the original post after writing this reply and my original bike was definitely too small for me, kind of the opposite experience).

By 3 years ago I was riding to get in better shape and to get faster. Then last year it clicked, and I started paying attention to how I was riding and being able to handle technical climbing/descending, getting over obstacles, doing my first jumps and drops.

So far this year the new thing has been helping with new purpose-built mountain bike trails. Can't hardly wait for the rainy season to end and see how I progress.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    For the women.

Chicks dig a guy all covered in mud and sweat.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I overthink everything..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    For the women.

That is how i got my wife

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I used to ride bmx back in high school and "graduated" to mountain bikes when I moved out of the house. I needed a job and had an old Raleigh (this was 1990) and heard that Domino's delivered on a bike. Strapped a rack and a flat piece of board on top and voila instant delivery system. Depending on where and how far I had to go, I was faster than a car. I was already in shape and this just improved my urban assault skills. Fast forward 20 years and I worked with a guy I got along with well. I asked him what he did for fun and he said "mountain bike." The story goes on from there to now.

I ride for fitness, the adrenaline rush and for riding with friends. Plus I like to ride alone at times. I can get away from everyone and not have to talk to them and it isn't rude if I ignore you. I can just blame it on "I didn't hear you" or "I was concentrating on my line." I don't have to answer the phone, I don't have to answer inane questions, and I can yell and curse if I am enjoying myself. The gear acquisition process is nice too. Installing new parts is always good and I enjoy hunting the right one and the bargain over prices if it somewhere like pinkbike or craig's list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cuz it's fun and keeps my head in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    ^^ Listen to THIS GUY

mtbr member

Why do you ride?

I work in downtown Austin at a fast paced job. At home I have 8 year old twins and a wife that keeps me busy. I ride to get away from the craziness, turn the cell phone off and enjoy the woods, the quiet and the beauty of this awesome state. Plus it keeps me in shape so those 12 oz curls don't make me fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hill Country Redneck; 04-03-2014 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I used to be a very active firefighter and fire chief, I used to run, 10K's half marathons but age and back surgery changed that in 2000. I sorta retired in 2006 and had not been very active. In 2009 I bought a Nirve beach cruiser and enjoyed being outside with a breeze on my face. 3 gears and it was heavy. But I found my addiction again, the way I used to feel running everyday. I had to get out and do it. In 2010 I purchased a Hybrid mountain bike and it was full on again. Dropped 30 lbs last year and looking to drop another 40lbs this year.

Papa T
    Started with surfing, progressed to trail riding when at school that was selected to get me away from the distraction of surfing.

It all boils down to "man vs. nature" for me. I am not into competition, I ride for the the flow.
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

mtbr member
    I do it cause I like it. Keep's me in shape, clears my head and lets me forget the everyday problems for a little while. Sometimes I go with friends, sometimes I ride solo but I never ride cause I have to. Its about fun, relaxation and getting out in the wood's.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    For the women.

Nope, chicks dig scars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast