Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pedalphile

WHY did I demo an unobtainable dream bike?

It's the same ol' story: Go to the local pro shop, serious about looking at some serious bikes. They have a lot of stock, but they don't have *every* model of every brand they carry. What they do have is a bunch of very high-end bikes that fit you perfectly.

So you take a long spin on one of the chi-chi bikes, the one the sales person says is the perfect bike for you, and -- surprise! -- it's the greatest bike you've ever ridden. And the most expensive, by a LOT. Like, I'm talking a LOT.

And of course you can't try out any of that manufacturer's MID-range bikes, because they don't stock those. They're in the catalog though, and you read about them and you think, "Well that one looks nice too, and it's probably a lot less."

But then you start thinking, "Maybe this really is the perfect bike for me... Maybe if I sell some things... And it's SO LIGHT and BEAUTIFUL... If I buy something lesser I'll never be fully satisfied... And it's SO LIGHT... Maybe I should just..."

And then you think, "No, that's $#%&#! stupid."

SIGH.
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

shins meet handlebar.
    Cycle purchases, for me, are not about logic or frugality, they are about an appeal to classic qualities like beauty, perfection, symmetry, and harmony. It sounds like you have found a bike that appeals to you on that level. Go for it, I say.
    Fear is the mind-killer.

life is a barrel o'fun
    Yeah, but if you go with the dream bike, there's none of that upgrade nonsense.

To a certain extent, anyway. For some reason, I'm convinced life would be much better if I could get SRAM trigger shifters on my Blur instead of the Shimano......and a riser bar would be nice.....the grips could be better come to think of it...........

Demo'ed a Racer X and it felt goooood. Hear they got one in Ti, huh? That would be nice.

And I still need a really good touring bike and a road bike. And a singlespeed. But that's it.

And a B.O.B. trailer.

Which bike did you demo? I'm curious now.........
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

pedalphile

It was a road bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Yeah, but if you go with the dream bike, there's none of that upgrade nonsense.

Which bike did you demo? I'm curious now.........
    It was an Orbea Onix. (Sorry for the road content - the concept is universal tho)

Come to think of it, something very similar happened after I visited the Titus factory earlier this year. "Racer-X, hm...? Oh, I must have that. All other full suspension XC bikes are clearly inferior... You want HOW much for it?" Although I never demoed the Racer-X. I just drooled on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    $1200 doesn't seem all that bad... What the *^&&^ an I saying, they don't even give you a shock for that!?! And look at those skinny little tires, snap those like a TWIG... Stupid road bike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

pedalphile

Might need longer legs

Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    $1200 doesn't seem all that bad... What the *^&&^ an I saying, they don't even give you a shock for that!?! And look at those skinny little tires, snap those like a TWIG... Stupid road bike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    Hm, if I have my legs lengthened like the guy in Gattica, the 60cm just might work! Let's see...

ebayed bike: $1200
    surgery: $33,000,000
    total: dang.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    See now that bike at the LBS looks cheap doesn't it...

But seriously I've paid less than half for my last 2 bikes compared to the LBS price. Both were some deal on ebay or an online retailer blowing out last years model. And these weren't low end bikes, superlight and a burner... Sure you don't get that instant gratification of walking out with a shiny new bike. But by the time you hit the first puddle, that will have worn off and you'll still have enough for a beer after the ride!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Accidental Endo
    Cycle purchases, for me, are not about logic or frugality, they are about an appeal to classic qualities like beauty, perfection, symmetry, and harmony. It sounds like you have found a bike that appeals to you on that level. Go for it, I say.
    wow! how eloquently put and pure poetry. that almost makes it sound like we are justified in our addiction/disease I agree with all that you said and in addition, the more primitive instinct of subdueing to peer pressure is also at work so any way you look at it, it is not our fault that we spend way more than we should

cheers

paintbucket
    Umm .... before you buy that dream bike make sure you ride all the other expensive dream bikes as well. I'm having a hard time believing an Orbea is all that you think it is. They've always come across as disposable pop can frames to me, fit for a season or two but not really a "dream" bike kind of thing.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Umm .... before you buy that dream bike make sure you ride all the other expensive dream bikes as well. I'm having a hard time believing an Orbea is all that you think it is. They've always come across as disposable pop can frames to me, fit for a season or two but not really a "dream" bike kind of thing.
    absolutely great advice. I tell you.....the Orbea now gets a lot of talk now since it was on the cover of a magazine. Guy at work now want to get one as their first road bike just because "it looks cool".....must be nice to have a money tree

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am not certain that there is a solution to this better bike syndrome we all experience. I mean, there must be a reason I have ended up with 9 really cool bikes that most people would drool over. I just ride them. And then something else comes along that I must have so I just buy it and then suffer for six months paying for it. But such is life and we only get one shot at it so might as well ride whatever bikes we can get our hands on. I find that bikes are like skis: you need a quiver cuz you just gotta have the right bike for each type of dirt. OK, and asphalt too.

Good luck with that Orbea.

pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    absolutely great advice. I tell you.....the Orbea now gets a lot of talk now since it was on the cover of a magazine. Guy at work now want to get one as their first road bike just because "it looks cool".....must be nice to have a money tree
    Oh I'm definitely riding as many other bikes as I can find. I've already tested a couple, which I didn't like as much. More testing today, assuming the local pro shop du jour has good stuff in stock.

The perspective that Orbea are disposable / good for a couple of seasons is an interesting one. If / when I buy this bike, it's going to be THE bike, and it has to last a long, long time. In the past eleven years I've bought a total of three new bikes (one cuz the previous one was stolen) and one frame. Buy once, ride til failure (ok not quite failure).

I Just Ride....

Good job! Live The Dream! Just Make Sure....

I say LIVE THE DREAM! And buy your "dream bike"
    Even if it is a road bike...
    I am having the same quandary, but am going to save the money.
    If you have the money GO FOR IT! If not, save and don't beat yourself up for not having the money now.
    Just my humble opinion..
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Fashionably functional...
    Saved over a year to finally afford my dream bike/build. The only overpriced bikes are ones that are not ridden, or not ridden to it's potential. Yeah, I thought it was a hell of a lot of money, but before I'm cursed with a wife and a kid, I might as well enjoy MY $$$. And YES, I do ride mine to it's potential!

www.derbyrims.com

Spoiled for fit, wieght, and looks?

Try looking at the specs for that bike you liked testing that fit you so well. Then look at the major manufactuors like Trek and Specilized, etc, for a bike with the similar weight and dimentions. You can get very close to chi-chi with the majors. Looks are the biggest difference though sometimes, and looks do matter to most of us poseurs!

Keep looking!

- ray

mtbr member
    What's so great about the Orbea? On their website they say their 5-inch travel bike can be built up to be under 30 pounds. That seems pretty average. My much-cheaper Enduro is under 30 pounds as well.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

paintbucket

In the interest of fairness.....

Quote Originally Posted by BontyRider
    The perspective that Orbea are disposable / good for a couple of seasons is an interesting one.
    Keep in mind that, as far as road bikes go, if it ain't lugged steel then its junk as far as I'm concerned.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Try looking at the specs for that bike you liked testing that fit you so well. Then look at the major manufactuors like Trek and Specilized, etc, for a bike with the similar weight and dimentions. You can get very close to chi-chi with the majors. Looks are the biggest difference though sometimes, and looks do matter to most of us poseurs!

Keep looking!

- ray
    Today I test rode a Cervelo R2.5 Chorus, and decided that THIS is now the perfect bike. ARGH! But I also rode a Six-13 and didn't like it, so there's that. I'll be trying a Specialized soon too.

Chances are I'm going to end up not getting anything. My fixie is nice. Yes. It is nice. I. Love. It.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Agreed; while it may climb & accelerate well, be VERY CAREFUL descending, as I hear they are sketchy as all get-out on fast descents.... precisely when you want precise, predictable handeling! Yikes...
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Don't forget the law of diminishing returns. You can pay double (or quadruple) for the top of the line bling bling bike..... but no way is it going to be twice (much less four times) as good. Keep test riding lots of bikes until you find one that fits you well, appeals to your senses, and rides well....but is still in your budget. Good luck.

pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Don't forget the law of diminishing returns. You can pay double (or quadruple) for the top of the line bling bling bike..... but no way is it going to be twice (much less four times) as good. Keep test riding lots of bikes until you find one that fits you well, appeals to your senses, and rides well....but is still in your budget. Good luck.
    Good point. I was once admiring someone's very light road bike, and he said, "I just spent a thousand dollars to lose a pound." I thought that was totally batty.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    A riding buddy took a long demo on a Maverick ML7 outfitted with a Fox Terra-Logic fork last year, absolutely fell in love with the bike. $2k for the frame, I believe. He couldn't even stomach the Klein version -- I forget exactly why, maybe something about the lower link casting. Personally I'm turned off by the floating bottom bracket and integrated headset, but he's an artist/designer and this bike "spoke" to him in a spiritual way I can't fathom.

But being and student/artist/designer, reality set in. Just a few weeks ago he emailed me with questions about a single pivot Raleigh frame on eBay.

RIP 12/95 - 02/09
    Hey can u fix your avatar? It's a bit uh...lopsided?

Thanks much.

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywest
    Hey can u fix your avatar? It's a bit uh...lopsided?

Thanks much.
    Nice first post! Sarcasm always goes best with one of these
    Fatter than most.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BontyRider
    Today I test rode a Cervelo R2.5 Chorus, and decided that THIS is now the perfect bike. ARGH! But I also rode a Six-13 and didn't like it, so there's that. I'll be trying a Specialized soon too.

Chances are I'm going to end up not getting anything. My fixie is nice. Yes. It is nice. I. Love. It.
    The Cervelo 2.5 is going to be very hard to beat.
    Depending on your size, the 05 Giant tcr carbons are great, and a good value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast