mtbr member

New question here. Why can't you enter a Triathlon on a Mountain Bike?

There I was thinking I shouldn't enter a local triathlon because I didn't have a proper road racer - I thought I'd feel like a bit of a d*(khead against all the geared up road racers.

But I'm so glad I said "stuff it" and did it anyway.

You can check out my efforts here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6iGRazvVg

And for a bloke who can't stand swimming in the ocean I didn't do too badly in the swim leg either...must be all those gutsy mountain bike rides I've been doing

So to all you mountain bikers who feel like they're not good enough against the road racers and their super-swanky road gear, just do it.

I did!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sweet. My oldest son did his first couple of sprint tris on his race bike (Spec. Epic). I was able to watch a portions of the bike leg. I'll never forget the looks I saw on the faces of guys in aero helmets on $10k+ TT bikes when they saw / heard those knobbies passing... Totally priceless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    ...I'll never forget the looks I saw on the faces of guys in aero helmets on $10k+ TT bikes when they saw / heard those knobbies passing... Totally priceless.
    I would have paid money to see that

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    The bike does not the rider make!

It definitely is sick when you're a strong enough rider to pass roadies when they're all geared up! I love passing the occasional roadie on my pavement rides to the trailhead.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    About three months ago I loaned my friend a spec-pro, hardtail. We put on bar extensions, that was it!

He entered his first race last week at Vegas, Lake mead area. At tech inspection they made him remove the bar ends? He Did not sink, had a lot of fun and ended up buying my old bike. 500, Yayyy.

Says he's going again. I'm sure a Mtn bike for Tri is fine. Get all serious and end up liking it! Then go out and get a high zoot bike.

He asked me to give it a go!! I'm still wiping the tears from laughing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by toddheness
    There I was thinking I shouldn't enter a local triathlon because I didn't have a proper road racer - I thought I'd feel like a bit of a d*(khead against all the geared up road racers.

But I'm so glad I said "stuff it" and did it anyway.

You can check out my efforts here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6iGRazvVg

And for a bloke who can't stand swimming in the ocean I didn't do too badly in the swim leg either...must be all those gutsy mountain bike rides I've been doing

So to all you mountain bikers who feel like they're not good enough against the road racers and their super-swanky road gear, just do it.

I did!

You can, they're called X-terra's or phat tyre triathalons! best of all the bike course is actually off-road!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    Sweet. My oldest son did his first couple of sprint tris on his race bike (Spec. Epic). I was able to watch a portions of the bike leg. I'll never forget the looks I saw on the faces of guys in aero helmets on $10k+ TT bikes when they saw / heard those knobbies passing... Totally priceless.
    Man. That is great to hear! My partner who made up the vid said there was HEAPS of warning to get the camera ready because she could see AND hear me from a mile away....there I was in my up high "maximum wind resistance stance" and the "vrooo vroooooo" of my tyres on the road. Funny stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    You can, they're called X-terra's or phat tyre triathalons! best of all the bike course is actually off-road!!!

Cool. I'll have to check it out. I wonder if they're in Australia. And yeah...although it was a goal to do a triathlon, I love my mountain biking. You guys have got to check out the Epic here in OZ some time - an amazing ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    at least get some fat boy slicks!
    be surprised how sprinty even the most upright mountain bikes get with skinny slicks!

"It's not a mountain bike, it's a 650C flat bar roadbike with suspension and discs because I like to ride on wet cobblestones"
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Yeah...I know. I'll save this poor painter's pennies and look into skinny slicks when I can. A mate does that all the time. I can only afford to get into one sport passion at a time . I did the bike leg much slower than all the professional riders...and I frigged around in the transition area getting my gear on and off (had NFI what I was doing!) so the goal is next time to shave 20 mins off the ride time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho
    About three months ago I loaned my friend a spec-pro, hardtail. We put on bar extensions, that was it!

He entered his first race last week at Vegas, Lake mead area. At tech inspection they made him remove the bar ends? He Did not sink, had a lot of fun and ended up buying my old bike. 500, Yayyy.

Says he's going again. I'm sure a Mtn bike for Tri is fine. Get all serious and end up liking it! Then go out and get a high zoot bike.

He asked me to give it a go!! I'm still wiping the tears from laughing.
    Yep. Saving the pennies mate. In the meantime, I'm doing it for the mountain bikers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's freaking awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Haha, so cool. Can't imagine the look on those faces. Props to you for doing a Triathlon too, keep up the good work - it takes a lot of dedication.

A Triathlon I volunteered at in Miami (I think it was the ING one) had a separate designation for those riding mountain bikes, it was pretty cool to see all of them out there.

JDO
    Heart Plumber
    I did it too
    The look of the other competitors with their aero machine were priceless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why can't you enter a Triathlon on a Mountain Bike?-dsc00384.jpg  

mtbr member
    Love it ! I am going to try a sprint tri in the spring, will be riding my mountain bike.
    Clydesdale: 315lbs (July 2010) now down 35 lbs on my journey from obese to triathlete...

http://iambigtuna.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuna
    Love it ! I am going to try a sprint tri in the spring, will be riding my mountain bike.
    Man... Big Tuna! You can do it! Please let me know how you go. I had NEVER swum in the ocean (in a race before) and I was sh*ting my pants before the race. But I proved to myself I could do it. And even though I did feel a bit stupid on a mountain bike entering I couldn't give a stuff half way into it - I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

Just great. Awesome. Maybe after a few entries you'll have to call yourself "Tri-Tuna".

Let me know how you go.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JDO
    I did it too
    The look of the other competitors with their aero machine were priceless
    Love that bike JDO. So nice that other people do it too. I'll have to upload a piccy of my big hulky machine. I actually bought it from a super-fit, super-nice mountain biker here in OZ I go for rides with. He bought it on Ebay from a guy in Illinois. Well, when I say "bought", I exchanged it for painting his house - only way I could ever afford it. So it's got a bit of US birth history to it

(insert witty remark)
    Hey, newbie here. But I hear alot of "charity-base" triathalons, where there are training sessions you can get into, that are free(matbe,read a flyer years ago). So long question short, where can I find out more.

Valleyscum
    Chatsworth, CA
    Fuji Nevada 1.0
    "I heard he puts his fold-up in a really uncomfortable place. What..like the back of a Volkswagen?"

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    A lot of races have "Fat Tire" divisions, too. If you're just doing it for shits and giggles, I wouldn't worry about what bike you're on. I did all my training for my first tri on a FS MTB and borrowed roadies for my first two races. Second season, I bought a proper tri bike.