Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

who takes the pics in action shots???

I don't get it when I see people postings pics of there ride with just them riding in it. Who takes the pictures?? Is there some sort of person that just follows them around and takes the pics while choosing not be in them? Sometimes they look like theyre really far away. Is there some sort of business where you can rent a person to follow you around while you ride and take pics?

Formerly DMR For Life
    i think that a lot of people do timer shots
    i may be wrong on that though
    DMR

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    I don't get it when I see people postings pics of there ride with just them riding in it. Who takes the pictures?? Is there some sort of person that just follows them around and takes the pics while choosing not be in them? Sometimes they look like theyre really far away. Is there some sort of business where you can rent a person to follow you around while you ride and take pics?
    I have my publicist follow me around with a camera. I'm not sure how everyone else does it.

I throw poo
    My lovely and patient gf takes most of the shots I have.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have whoever is w/ me take the shot and then give them a chance to have me take a shot of them.

Hup, Hup
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    I have whoever is w/ me take the shot and then give them a chance to have me take a shot of them.

Same thing here. When a section of trail that is photo worthy presents itself, our group will take turns taking pictures of everyone else. We all carry cameras with us anyway sooooo...
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

swag ho Administrator
    90% of my rides have zero photos. I like rides that have minimal breaks and have a certain flow and rhythm.

However, pictures are cool. This is how it happens:

- A few guys carry cameras. Frequent stops are the order of the day and it's good to just chill and have fun. The most common thing to do is the guys with cameras get a 5-minute head start on an interesting part of the trail, they find a spot and shoot everyone as they go by. These shots can either be close-up or vista. The group then stops and waits for the them.

Sometimes, you get a cameraman who is just such a fast rider that he can ride ahead of the group, shoot pictures then catch up without ever needing the group to wait up.

Then there's session-ing. This is where you just do a great part of the trail over and over. The group can spend up to an hour just hanging out at a spot and re-trying stunts and taking pictures.

Finally for great shots, you need to have some pro photographer friends that ride. Pros plan shots and have wet dreams about them. This can involve some set-up and planning to get their equipment at the right spot.

Here's a pro shot taken at Soquel Demo Forest, CA.

francois
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francois; 12-17-2005 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Ok, that shot got me wet.

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Here's a pro shot taken at Soquel Demo Forest, CA.

francois

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    i think that a lot of people do timer shots
    i may be wrong on that though
    DMR
    KRob is the king of timer shots

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

most cameras have a timer feature........

at least, that is how i get most of my solo shots.

you know, 'cause i'm too poor to have my own publicist.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    most cameras have a timer feature........

at least, that is how i get most of my solo shots.

you know, 'cause i'm too poor to have my own publicist.
    I split the cost with Ashlee (Simpson) so it's pretty affordable.

Rolling
    Who takes the pictures??
    I do.

mtbr member

I'm my own publicist.... or would that be self-promoter?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    KRob is the king of timer shots
    He, he. But it's only because I'm such a pathetic loner poser dork and I just can't get enough of looking at myself and no one will ride with me..... so what choice do I have?

Tim R and I are pretty tight. Gotta be able to find a natural tripod, have your bike setting in a place that's quickly accessable, get the camera pointed in the right direction, push the button, run to your bike get on it, get looking somewhat photogenic, get clipped in, get positioned for a tech move possibly, all while counting to ten. Nothing to it.

K (this is where I earn the uberdork monicker) Rob

mtbr member

Friendly hikers

Then there's the PhotoShop option.

A Guy Who is Going Places

I don't think I've ever posted a pic of myself riding a bike. For the most part, people posting pics are posting pictures of riding buddies.

I am, however, available for rental. Just keep me living in the manner to which I've become accustomed and the pics will flow.

http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Anal Fissure
    Who takes the "action" pics on my rides?!! Well, it sure as Hell ain't me...I can only shoot if I have 10,000 watt seconds of strobe power and a camera the size of a small car...

BeeT's

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Impressive gallery of photos! You've met and photographed an impressive list of people. Quite a celebrity for these boards.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

one sick puppy
    I'm fluent in Squirrel and usually ask one of the local inhabitants to click my camera. They are usually pretty good about it although I did have one squirrel try to run off with my camera.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

I throw poo
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemonkey
    My lovely and patient gf takes most of the shots I have.
    And here she is in her only bike related shot. She almost never lets me have the camera.
    Also in the pic is my dog Kona, named after the coffe not the bike.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

5 x 5
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Gotta be able to find a natural tripod, have your bike setting in a place that's quickly accessable, get the camera pointed in the right direction, push the button, run to your bike get on it, get looking somewhat photogenic, get clipped in, get positioned for a tech move possibly, all while counting to ten. Nothing to it.
    This gadget helps with the first part, cost me $4.00 at a camera shop. The circus dance is still up to you .
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

E !

theton level 69

I am in direct contact with a theton level 69 member. Images are transmitted to me via bio-energy br. 1265 frequency and then i upload them to my PC.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Timer shots if I am riding alone. Can take a long time to get the one pic that is worth anything. The wide framing makes it easier to get yourself in the pic.

I did these at Gooseberry Mesa last year. The animation is put together from separate stills. Spent ~20 mins taking the pics.

You do a lot of running and counting.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Timer shots if I am riding alone. Can take a long time to get the one pic that is worth anything. The wide framing makes it easier to get yourself in the pic.

You do a lot of running and counting.
    You tend to get a bunch of shots like this first one before you get the good one. In the second you look closely and you can see that my left foot is not clipped in.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Brass Nipples!
    After riding once with KRob, I've started to try to get some self timer shots. My camera has a sequence mode where after a 1 minute wait, it will take pictures every 10 seconds for dozens of shots.

As others have noted, most end up being wasted electrons, but occasionally you'll get a nice one. I use a tiny tripod I got at REI. It's probably about 4 inches long, but perfect for carrying in a backpack and using with a digicam.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr dismember

I do

I take the action shots of everybody else for two reasons:
    1. you don't want to see my ugly face
    2. I can't "action" ride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast