Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who loves a Challenger? OT

I've always had a soft spot for the old Mopar muslce cars. Yeah, I know they were big, gas guzzling pigs that cornered and braked about as well as the Titanic... but, dang, they were cool.

I haven't been too excited about the new Chrylser 300 or Charger, but I'm really lovin' the new Challenger concept that's been making the rounds on the international car show circuit and on magazine covers the past couple of months. I really hope DC builds it. With the SRT-8 Hemi rated at 425hp under the hood and those gorgeous retro curves, I think it would be a worthy successor to the original Hemi 'Cuda and Challenger.

What do you think?
    Bike content? Absolutely zero. Sorry, but it was getting a little slow around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Savvy?
    That is one badass lookin' car. If Dodge does in fact build it, I'll be there the day they go on sale.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    I really like 'm but would never get one...

mtbr member

It'll be built

A little too retro style wise but they only built the original for 5 years 29 years ago so I guess it's jost a continuation of my favorite muscle car. A true Canadian classic.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Best new major retro redesign yet. That looks awesome. That said if it doesn't get 35+ mpg with 4 doors I won't be buying one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

best one yet

interms of style, the mustang redo was good, but this is waaaaay better. lets see if they get the launch right. so often they take a great body design, but the first cars sold will have a 230hp V8. the big HP always seems to come 1-2years later. usually because they want to first come to market with a $19k car, then come later with the 35k model. I would buy this car if I had the $$ and wanted something to drive around town

Quote Originally Posted by Nonracerrichie
    Best new major retro redesign yet. That looks awesome. That said if it doesn't get 35+ mpg with 4 doors I won't be buying one.

desert dweller
    Boy, I like the Challenger -- but I think it is too close to the original. The new Camero is pretty hot though - and different enough from the original to satisfy my tastes. .

mbb
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 02-08-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Wolf nipple chips
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    interms of style, the mustang redo was good, but this is waaaaay better. lets see if they get the launch right. so often they take a great body design, but the first cars sold will have a 230hp V8. the big HP always seems to come 1-2years later. usually because they want to first come to market with a $19k car, then come later with the 35k model. I would buy this car if I had the $$ and wanted something to drive around town

230 HP out of a V8 seems pretty weak, even for an initial model. my 6 year old Maxima has 220 out of a 3 liter V6! Unless it has gobs and gobs or torque, I would have trouble rationalizing a V8 that doesn't have at least in the neighborhood of 300 HP. my 1.5 cents.

CF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever
    230 HP out of a V8 seems pretty weak, even for an initial model.
    CF
    Yeah, I think that must be a typo. The "standard" hemi V-8 I think is rated more like 330hp. I'm waiting for the SRT-8 high output version with the 425hp which probably would be a second year offering. That's the way they've done it with the 300 and Magnum. Although I think the SRT-8 Charger is a mid-year offering this first model year.

mtbr member
    I had a '70 Hemi Cuda NHRA model 426 cu.in./490 BHP. Now that was a car except for the 5 mpg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever
    230 HP out of a V8 seems pretty weak, even for an initial model. my 6 year old Maxima has 220 out of a 3 liter V6! Unless it has gobs and gobs or torque, I would have trouble rationalizing a V8 that doesn't have at least in the neighborhood of 300 HP. my 1.5 cents.

CF

mtbr member

Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    I had a '70 Hemi Cuda NHRA model 426 cu.in./490 BHP. Now that was a car except for the 5 mpg!
    I'll bet you wish you still had that. One recently sold at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale for like $1.2 million! No joke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    Boy, I like the Challenger -- but I think it is too close to the original. The new Camero is pretty hot though - and different enough from the original to satisfy my tastes. .

mbb
    I dunno. A mullet would look out of place in that Camero.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

paintbucket
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

E !

I remember

My dad used to have that car back in the seventies. Actually i think he still has it. He thought he was a bad ass burnin up the tires and all! He would race that thing with a jack and coke sitting in the console or his hand LOL!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

Love the car

I love the new Camaros and the Dodge and the new Stang but considering fuel costs I would opt for a hybrid over those cars any day. And on top of that the quality of American cars is questionable. I love how people talk about reducing our oil dependency and say we should stop pumping money into the middle east and then drive a car that gets less than 15 mpg. I make enough money to get one and I must admit I would feel pretty bad ass driving one of those but where would I put the bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy

mbb

Seems to have some mustangish characteristics...

Vertical Member
    I have definitely been following this car. Had a '74 Cuda back in the late '80s and a buddy had a '70 convertible Challenger. I can think of a couple of toys I could liquidate if this thing ever hits real production.

And the big hemi is supposed to be 425hp (with a 300+ version as well as a 6 cyl).

pics:
    http://www.stockmopar.com/2008-dodge-challenger.html

video:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...dcrumb=Detroit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    One recently sold at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale for like $1.2 million! No joke.
    Oops. My bad. I just went to the B-J site and I was wrong. It sold for [SIZE=2]$2.1 million[/SIZE]. That's just insane. Of course it was a totally oringinal covertible 1 of only 13 built and the only one in Orange.

The picture below it is a coupe that went for "only" $486K....and I'm not talking about old Atari computers.

mtbr member
    Whaddya mean, too retro? That's the whole point of this car.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    A little too retro style wise but they only built the original for 5 years 29 years ago so I guess it's jost a continuation of my favorite muscle car. A true Canadian classic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

they always seem to under power early models

always seems that car makers launch new models with crap engines: Mustang, Cayenne, etc. then a year later they bring out the "S" model or the GT, or whatever. I say launch the darn thing right. that challenger needs 400+hp in the first model

Quote Originally Posted by UpRocks
    I have definitely been following this car. Had a '74 Cuda back in the late '80s and a buddy had a '70 convertible Challenger. I can think of a couple of toys I could liquidate if this thing ever hits real production.

And the big hemi is supposed to be 425hp (with a 300+ version as well as a 6 cyl).

pics:
    http://www.stockmopar.com/2008-dodge-challenger.html

video:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...dcrumb=Detroit

mtbr member
    I like the Challenger and the Charger. F the gas mileage discussion as that's clearly out the window when looking at these vehicles. Big whup if they can shut down a cylinder bank at cruise - it seems to add a whopping 1MPG.

I actually have a fondness for the new Cherokee SRT8. Faster than the Charger and better skidpad numbers ta boot. Also, probably the only one of the bunch that will accomodate roof racks....
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Meh

Here's

a picture of my brother's 'Cuda. 1971 convertible, 440 w/ 6 pack.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Are you kidding?...who didn't or wouldn't love one of those or many other muscle car era firebreathers? Even more on my lust list would be to have a '55-'57 Chevy hardtop with a big block rat motor, or even more unobtanium...a '61-'62 Corvette. I had a '57 Chevy 2-door post model with a 409 Chevy implanted in it...my first car. Damnit, I'm drooling on my keyboard right now...LOL! Anyone see Overhaulin' the other night with the 56 Chevy Nomad with a 572 big block?

KRob, when B-J started appearing on Speed, I thought, "That's got to be the dumbest idea for a TV program I've ever seen...watching people bid on cars". Boy...it's turned out to be the best and most interesting history lesson on muscle cars that one could imagine.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Why not get a real one - they cost about the same as long as your not looking for a matching #'s Hemi.

Here's mine - a blast to drive....but ya gotta know how to work on them:

1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440 4 Speed...the real deal But only 9MPG
    Last edited by CHUM; 02-09-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling...urgh
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I had the car to the right of the Charger in the picture. A 1969 Dart with a 340 magnum. I will be first in line in 2009 to buy one of the new Challengers!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast