mtbr member

who know's Portland, Oregon?

one of my riding buddies is weighing anchor, leaving the SF bay area and moving to Portland. (i apologize in advance for sending you guys another californian.) he's about as passionate a cyclist as there is. anyone have the lowdown on the scene up there - top shops, rides, etc., etc. any info would be appreciated. he's prepared (i think) for the change in the weather, at least.

Thanks much -
    eddie would go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I live in p-town I am not sure what SF is like, but here most of the good riddin is not in town. So you have to drive to get there, unlike Phoenix (my old home town). There is however miles of fireroad in forest park http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/Parks/ForestPark.htm that is good for training, but not too much fun. Also, Powel Butte (SP?) is in town and has some single track. However, it is only like 3 miles. So it is only really worth going there if you are out training on the Spring water corridore (SP?) and want to throw in some single track. My favorite trail within one hour of portland is Browns camp http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...4_4571crx.aspx. There is a number of riding options at browns camp depending on what you want to do (8-30ish miles). If you want to drive a little farther (aprx 2hrs from my house) there is a ton of awesome riddin on mt. hood in hood river ranger district. You can combine the trails together for endless options See http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...4_4571crx.aspx for a sample.

I would highly recogmend joining PUMP (http://www.pumpclub.org/). They do a lot of rides. Once you join the club you can get on there mailing list. There is just as many informal rides planed via email as there is posted on the web site. Going on rides with them is a good way to get to know a number of trails.

As far as bike shops go I really like lakeside bicycles, fat tire farm, and RiverCity Cycles. If you want parts or tools go to RiverCity Cycles. They have the biggest collection of tools and parts that I know of (I haven't been to every bike shop

It is good that he is ready for the weather change It definitly rains a lot in the winter. He might want to look into sking, snowboarding, x-country sking, or snowshoeing as well. You can still ride here in the winter but the riding is limited. I pretty much just do some road riding in the winter to stay in shape and snowboard for the "thrill". All of the rain makes it very pretty here in the spring/summer.

Hope to see you on the trails,
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RearCog
    I live in p-town I am not sure what SF is like, but here most of the good riddin is not in town. So you have to drive to get there, unlike Phoenix (my old home town). There is however miles of fireroad in forest park http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/Parks/ForestPark.htm that is good for training, but not too much fun. Also, Powel Butte (SP?) is in town and has some single track. However, it is only like 3 miles. So it is only really worth going there if you are out training on the Spring water corridore (SP?) and want to throw in some single track. My favorite trail within one hour of portland is Browns camp http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...4_4571crx.aspx. There is a number of riding options at browns camp depending on what you want to do (8-30ish miles). If you want to drive a little farther (aprx 2hrs from my house) there is a ton of awesome riddin on mt. hood in hood river ranger district. You can combine the trails together for endless options See http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...4_4571crx.aspx for a sample.

I would highly recogmend joining PUMP (http://www.pumpclub.org/). They do a lot of rides. Once you join the club you can get on there mailing list. There is just as many informal rides planed via email as there is posted on the web site. Going on rides with them is a good way to get to know a number of trails.

As far as bike shops go I really like lakeside bicycles, fat tire farm, and RiverCity Cycles. If you want parts or tools go to RiverCity Cycles. They have the biggest collection of tools and parts that I know of (I haven't been to every bike shop

It is good that he is ready for the weather change It definitly rains a lot in the winter. He might want to look into sking, snowboarding, x-country sking, or snowshoeing as well. You can still ride here in the winter but the riding is limited. I pretty much just do some road riding in the winter to stay in shape and snowboard for the "thrill". All of the rain makes it very pretty here in the spring/summer.

Hope to see you on the trails,
    Stephen

thanks for all that information, Stephen! it's much appreciated. (all the other portlanders must be busy drying their socks or something.)

ride on.
    eddie would go.

ali'i hua
    you might want to post this over on the SS board- there are quite a few oregonites over there. dont let the SS thing get in the way.

I make it up to regon a few times during the year and have ridden Forrest Park (close to universal cycles and the airport...i think) almost done Browne, ridden down by Dallas (close to Salem- velvet trail iss incredible- sorta like Braile Trail in Soquel Demo in Santa Cruz) and I can never forget MaKenzie River Trail outside of bend (right?) or the infamous Barbie Camp rides down by Sisters.

oregon is a great place for MTBers. I emailed a MTBR oregonite (MeatFoot) to see what other advice he has for you.

mtbr member

Yea...I know

Portland...he's a real jerk too!....
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Expert Pushing SSer

RearCog pretty much nailed it and

Quote Originally Posted by 6million$man
    one of my riding buddies is weighing anchor, leaving the SF bay area and moving to Portland. (i apologize in advance for sending you guys another californian.) he's about as passionate a cyclist as there is. anyone have the lowdown on the scene up there - top shops, rides, etc., etc. any info would be appreciated. he's prepared (i think) for the change in the weather, at least.

Thanks much -
    Forest Park (FP) is a good training area in town and accessable by bike. So is Powell Butte, but closed in the wet season. Brown's Camp (BC) is great if the drive appeals. I live in Salem, but work in Portland. I occasionally hit FP on week nights. There is a group that meets at the Fat Tire Farm on Thursdays and they hit FP. Dallas is about 30 minutes away from Salem or 1.25-1.5 hours from Portland and there is everything from stunts to singletrack to gravel logging roads (something like 25 named trails (maintained??)). Santiam Cycles in Salem is a good resource (at least I like the guys there and they are cool to chat with). Timberline/Gov't Camp has some riding (not personally familiar with it) about 1 hour away from Portland. For the weekender, Bend is a nice place to use as a hub. Eugene and over into Washington are other hubs (hot spots?).

As far as the cosmoplotin scene, PDX is about as nice a city as I have visited and lived in. Has everything you need without a huge sprawl of folks. I live in Salem now, real estate is right. Job market in PDX is uncertain (so if your friend has something lined up, all the better). My wife and I moved here almost 5 years ago. We picked up and moved with 6 months salary to use as "retirement" funding (recreational funding more like it). We played for six months then played house.

My socks are dry now, thanks for reading th saga.

Cheers,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member

no kidding!

[QUOTE=SlowSSer]you might want to post this over on the SS board- there are quite a few oregonites over there. dont let the SS thing get in the way...
    QUOTE]

...you're talkin' to one of 'em! them is good folks.

thanks, everybody!
    eddie would go.