mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Who Else has Cranksgiving?

Our local mtn bike club, Austin Ridge Riders, puts on an annual event called Cranksgiving on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. This is the 5th year and we use it as a fundraiser for a local not for profit. This year the recipient will be Boneshakers, a group that works to develop a healthy and active lifestyle for kids....on bikes: www.boneshakers.org

We are at a new venue this year (a private venue adjacent to a state park with trails on both), but the format is the same: the event lasts 6 hours and a rider gets a raffle ticket for each 7-mile lap completed. A total loop on both properties would be ~14 miles.
    A brand new trail has been built on the state park land (Pedernales Falls State Park), so this event will help ride in the new trail and introduce mountain bikers to it at the same time.

Since it is an event and not a race, some people use it as an endurance ride and knock out an incredible number of laps at race pace; others ride a lap and done. Our local mountain bike patrol supports riders on the trail having minor medical or mechanical issues.

Riders can participate if they show up at any time before the cut off time for the final lap. Then we all eat BBQ, have a fantastic raffle (thanks, sponsors!) and quaff adult (or regular) beverages.

Although we've recorded lap times in the past, this year a Strava account was set up for the event, so riders wanting to track their lap times can do so. Last year we had 140 participants.

In line with the exquisite weather that can happen on a Texas fall day, the forecast for Saturday is clear with a high of 75 degrees, with a light breeze.

If you live in the southern tier of the US, I'd encourage you to create a Cranksgiving tradition, whether you set up a formal event, a club ride or a group ride with friends. With the advent of fat tires/snow bikes, you northerners can do this as well.

There is so much passion and fun to be had with this kind of a tradition and I know some of you do it already. Put it on the calendar for this Saturday or Cranksgiving 2015. You know you want to be on your bike on Cranksgiving Day, NOT stuck in an airport or on the road!

mtbr member
    Sounds great. Enjoy and lots of luck raising funds. Thanksgiving weekend in the northeast is traditionally the start of the ski season and this year many areas got lucky with a foot of new snow. No 75 degree temperatures for another six months, I'm afraid. I'm looking forward to a ride Sunday or Monday when we may get back to 50 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yes, I know some people who spend Thanksgiving in Telluride, Park City or Wolf Creek and I can't blame them! I've enjoyed the magical pull of of snow in the past; as I get older, it holds less of an appeal.

I just checked pre-registration (which closed Tues at midnight) and there are already 110 riders signed up. Usually our pre-reg is around 40.

there's a Cranksgiving event here that's a road scavenger hunt event a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. No official MTB event here, because the weather can be all over the place. Today was perfect for a mtb ride. Frozen trails, dusting of snow this morning (all gone now, though). I did a 20mi urban ride with a group. Mostly mtb's (a touring bike, and a cross bike also showed), we took a combination of paved greenway, downtown streets, and crushed stone towpath. Totally informal. It was a great ride.