Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Category Winner

While in Moab...Fruita?

This will be our second trip to Moab. I know that there is a lifetime's worth of trails in Moab, but would it be worth it to daytrip to Fruita? What trails would you try to ride if you only had one day there? We are going at the end of April.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

hard to say

what I consider a "good" trail may be your version of hell.
    It's a faily short drive if you've never been it's probably worth the trip.
    I've been inside too long.

beer thief
    Fruita should not be missed. If given only one day, I would spend it at the Kokopelli area.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Fruita should not be missed. If given only one day, I would spend it at the Kokopelli area.
    I second the motion.

;^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

No Titus anymore...

third

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I second the motion.

;^)
    Agreed.
    Horsethief action.

Category Winner

Kgb

The trails we usually look for are long and hard (I guess). On our last trip we focused on whatever the info sources said had long climbs/tech descents and lots of mileage. Shorter routes like Amasa Back and Porc were done in pairs on a single day. Most of the guys will be on 35 -45 lb. bikes. Our favorites included, Amasa, Porc, Gold Bar; things with nice technical descents and we aren't really afraid to climb to get them. We want to head out to Fruita but only have a day to spare so I want to hit the best trail I can @30-40 miles.

aka greyranger
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    This will be our second trip to Moab. I know that there is a lifetime's worth of trails in Moab, but would it be worth it to daytrip to Fruita? What trails would you try to ride if you only had one day there? We are going at the end of April.
    If you have the time I suggest two times in Fruita. One day at the Loma exit(Horsetheif, More fun) and the next at the Bookcliffs. If you need maps stop by Over The Edge Cycles. Great shop, great people.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wink Moab Road Fruita singletrack

Moab trails= 4 wheel dr rds
    Fruita trails= Sweet single track
    You decide
    BSG

KgB
    SNGLSPD

If your on a SS

The trails we usually look for are long and hard (I guess). On our last trip we focused on whatever the info sources said had long climbs/tech descents and lots of mileage. Shorter routes like Amasa Back and Porc were done in pairs on a single day. Most of the guys will be on 35 -45 lb. bikes. Our favorites included, Amasa, Porc, Gold Bar; things with nice technical descents and we aren't really afraid to climb to get them. We want to head out to Fruita but only have a day to spare so I want to hit the best trail I can @30-40 miles.
    I could be persueded to show you around.
    I've been inside too long.

what else to ride in fruita ?

I've ridden all over the Moore fun area with the exception of Mac ridge. (Moore fun was one of the coolest trails I've ridden in my whole life) I'm sure there are other trails worth checking out in the area but what are they ?

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... rd 18

rd 18, in the book cliffs has enough great trails to keep you busy for a day or two. Dont miss Zippity do da, Chutes and ladders and Joes ridge. All of them have some tech sections but also super fun fast singletrack.
    BSG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fruita's chicken story

I agree with the above ride suggestions and would only add not to head out for the Rabbit Valley rides. The day I rode there the place was full of dirt bikers.vrrrmmm,vrrrmmm,vrmmmm!

OTS-Who here knows about Fruita's well known, Mike the headless chicken?
    A customer gave me a bottle of the famed wine last week
    T-III
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you.

mtbr member

One thing - about your bikes...

People are mentioning lots o great Fruita trails, but I have a concern: you say that you and your friends are riding 35-45 pound bikes. I'm guessing that means serious trail and freeride bikes.

While the Mac area DOES have some great trails most of them are really suited to XC style bikes - there are better trails to ride if you want to slug your heavier bikes up hill. "More Fun" will be the exception in the Mac area, and while a bit of a grunt up, is a great fast rip down.

My recomendations for bigger bikes would be:

"Flight of Icarus"
    "More fun"
    Bunch of stuff in the Grand Junction area like Eagle's wing and the Ribbon.

Those trails are much more big-bike friendly. You probably don't want to be riding around the book cliffs on FR bikes (Zippity and Joe's ridge might be a bit of an exception).

I'm sure that there is more stuff being developed: Canfield Bros. are based in Grand Junction, so I would imagine that there is active FR/DH oriented trail development in the area too.

Just my opinion for what it's worth. I'm sure the Fruita people will jump in here too and give you their opinions...
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

TJ.
    MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer

Give the Edge Loop a shot with heavy bikes,

I would try the Edge Loop. Yeah, It has a buttload of climbing. Once at the top by the pump station. Look out. What an awesome descent. It would be a good loop for heavy bikes.
    Enjoy the burn.....He he he.

TJ
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

cojones inside
    Quote Originally Posted by redranger
    If you have the time I suggest two times in Fruita. One day at the Loma exit(Horsetheif, More fun) and the next at the Bookcliffs. If you need maps stop by Over The Edge Cycles. Great shop, great people.
    Over the Edge Cycles, great shop except that they did a terrible job packing and shipping my bike on my way back to San Jose. My bike top tube was scratch because the guy forgot to secure the seat post, so it was rattling inside. Is the only shop in town, so you are stuck with it good or bad. Fruita is great! You will definitely run out of stuff to ride in a couple of days if you are a beginner. If you like eating out and having good food, you will like the food in Moab better.
    There is a new singletrack in Moab that I want to try "Sovereign", if you get sick of the jeep roads. Iíll be in Moab in May I canít wait.
    Kley

banned

excellent advice

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrupp
    and would only add not to head out for the Rabbit Valley rides.
    Yeah, Rabbit Valley sucks big time.

banned

pig bikes

Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    You probably don't want to be riding around the book cliffs on FR bikes (Zippity and Joe's ridge might be a bit of an exception).
    Every time I see Darth Vaders on engineless motorcycles in the Bookcliffs I have to laugh. Body armor and long travel on a-technical trails are that funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel
    I'm sure that there is more stuff being developed: Canfield Bros. are based in Grand Junction, so I would imagine that there is active FR/DH oriented trail development in the area too.
    The FR/DH oriented people here are worthless. They don't participate in any legal trailwork, but do enjoy riding off-trail and building illegal spur tails all over the place. There is a new FR trail proposed, but apparently they can't get anyone from their ranks to help build it properly. It's a sad joke.

Canfield Brothers
    "The FR/DH oriented people here are worthless. They don't participate in any legal trailwork, but do enjoy riding off-trail and building illegal spur tails all over the place. There is a new FR trail proposed, but apparently they can't get anyone from their ranks to help build it properly. It's a sad joke."

JD
    It is people like you that are giving bikers a bad names. I rode the lunch loop trails yesterday and there where multiple places that had been rocked and logged to prevent a nice jump, on trail, to be ruined as well as actual trail being routed to a two year old line that was removed two years ago. I don't see any reason why rocks can be moved and re-arranged to block a fun and more logical route of the "trail" and cause potential harm to unsuspecting riders, while the rocks that are placed by a "freerider" to add fun to the lame ass trail here are booby traped with the intent of harm. Is this not morally wrong?!!! To top it off my buddy crashed on a blind corner because someone placed rocks and logs, in what "was the trail", but for some reason is no longer the trail. ??? What is going on here!

JD , have you taken an active role in helping the biking comunity? Do you have any input that would be possitive and promote multiple trail users equal access and enjoyment? I have been involved in SLC trail work and feel I have contrubuted in a positive way! Since moving to GJ I have seen nothing but xc riders and there obsurd intent to limit FR and DH trail use. There is no need to be harhing my mello - beeeaaaach!

Canfield Brothers
    Oh yea - that FR trail you refer to is just a glorified xc trail. You still have to pedal to the top so why would a downhiller or FR person want to help build that? We already have hundreds of miles of xc, but NO DOWNHILL! I gave my input - "make it all downhill" but what do I know. Pedal-fiesta.org
    Keep your shitty boring trails. I'm going to T-Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Idea! If you visit Fruita ...

... watch out for the goathead thorns. They are thick in the vacant lots in Fruita (town). No one warned my son and I and we picked up dozens of them while riding around town waiting for the bike shop to open. They cost us a couple hours of valuable time.

Have fun!!

banned

question

Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber
    ... watch out for the goathead thorns. They are thick in the vacant lots in Fruita (town). No one warned my son and I and we picked up dozens of them while riding around town waiting for the bike shop to open. They cost us a couple hours of valuable time.
    What I want to know is why it took "a couple of hours" to fix a few flat tires?

banned

worthless

Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    JD
    It is people like you that are giving bikers a bad names. I rode the lunch loop trails yesterday and there where multiple places that had been rocked and logged to prevent a nice jump, on trail, to be ruined as well as actual trail being routed to a two year old line that was removed two years ago.I don't see any reason why rocks can be moved and re-arranged to block a fun and more logical route of the "trail" and cause potential harm to unsuspecting riders, while the rocks that are placed by a "freerider" to add fun to the lame ass trail here are booby traped with the intent of harm. Is this not morally wrong?!!! To top it off my buddy crashed on a blind corner because someone placed rocks and logs, in what "was the trail", but for some reason is no longer the trail. ??? What is going on here!

JD , have you taken an active role in helping the biking comunity? Do you have any input that would be possitive and promote multiple trail users equal access and enjoyment? I have been involved in SLC trail work and feel I have contrubuted in a positive way! Since moving to GJ I have seen nothing but xc riders and there obsurd intent to limit FR and DH trail use. There is no need to be harhing my mello - beeeaaaach!
    A perfect example of a cluelessness. Thank you for sharing. We'll see you out on the trail and then be sure to try and get in my face in person as well. It'll be just as funny.

banned

don't you mean

Oh yea - that FR trail you refer to is just a glorified xc trail. You still have to pedal to the top so why would a downhiller or FR person want to help build that? We already have hundreds of miles of xc, but NO DOWNHILL! I gave my input - "make it all downhill" but what do I know. Pedal-fiesta.org
    You're going to "coast", not ride.

banned

a challenge

I rode the lunch loop trails yesterday and there where multiple places that had been rocked and logged to prevent a nice jump, on trail, to be ruined as well as actual trail being routed to a two year old line that was removed two years ago. I don't see any reason why rocks can be moved and re-arranged to block a fun and more logical route of the "trail" and cause potential harm to unsuspecting riders, while the rocks that are placed by a "freerider" to add fun to the lame ass trail here are booby traped with the intent of harm.
    Since you are into illegally altering the trails here, why don't you tell us your name so we can have the BLM Ranger visit you with a citation to appear in Federal Court? It's called a Resource Violation and is accompanied by a fine as well.

If you don't like the status quo here, move back to SLC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

endless downhill

PIST! I know where you can go get endless downhill action all day long! Not be bothered by all of us XC riders and never have to build any trail.
    Literally THOUSANDS of miles of trail for you and your hucker friends.
    It's called "your local ski area"

ps. Just leave our shitty boring trails to the us. We can take care of them.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast