mtbr member

Where is your Passion taking you in 2018?

Who's going where in 2018?

I've got Whistler locked in for July and making plans for Fruita in May plus Moab in October.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Heading back up to Vermont in July. And possibly down to Harrisonburg in April/May.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Stone Jack Baller
    It might be taking me to the unemployment line. Left early the last 2 days to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm closing in on buying a 148" wheelbase Ford Transit with the highest roof option to turn into a little mountain bike camper/remote office. So hopefully it'll be taking me a lot of places in 2018!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm planning on a northern NM trip (ABQ, Santa Fe, Taos-Angel Fire). The riding in NM is great. I sure would like to make it out to Asheville, NC next year as well. This year I've ridden in CA (bay area), Arkansas (Hot Springs) and Colorado so it will be tough to top this year but I'm going to try!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    2017 was a big year! Lots of new places for me. My family moved from Boston to Northern Vermont which has kept me busy exploring Millstone, Stowe/Waterbury trails, Northfield, NEK and plenty more to ride in the spring on 2018.

I also took a 15 day, 5600 mile mountain bike road trip to Jackson Hole and back. Got the opportunity to ride in Wisconsin, South Dakota, Teton Pass, North Dakota, Idaho and Montana.

I posted a TR here:

I Drove 5200 miles from Vermont to Idaho and Rode My Bike a Bunch

Not sure I can top 2017 but 2018 will have plenty of exploring new-to-me trails in Vermont. I also hope to get back to Jackson Hole and maybe even a Utah trip this summer.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Retired. At least 100 days of skiing (hopefully!) with some road trips. Would really like to become a solid class 4 kayaker (used to be, but age, etc.). Would really like to get back into rock climbing...lose 5 pounds.....and get in more mountain biking with my bride of numerous decades!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Asheville at least once, Louisville, & more day/weekend trips to the GWNF.

mtbr member
    Spring trips to Hurricane and Sedona
    Summer Trip to Sun Valley
    Fall trips to Moab and Sedona

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Heading back up to Vermont in July. And possibly down to Harrisonburg in April/May.
    Doing Nembafest @ KT? I'll be pouring bourbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    More Bikepacking. Kinda running out of trips in New England, any dirt roads in Maine?

Co Springs
    Won't be going far but adding miles with some focus on more winter season riding. It's always been easy for me to participate on mild and warm winter days but I'm hopeful to ramping up the rides with less worry of cold temps and making snow tracks.

This is my first winter with something wider than a 2.2.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 11-09-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Colorado and new mexico for me but I go to both places each year, would like to get up to Oregon and Washington at some point next year but time will tell.

Bikesexual
    2017 was pretty good, but hoping to do another road trip, either Sedona, or go back up north again during spring.

Hopefully I can get the logistics down, and make it happen.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)
    Gravity G29er (SS)

Giggity

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Booking a campsite by Santos FL trailhead for March. I know that sounds like a long time coming, but I can taste the camp food and trail dust already.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

the half breed devil
    by the time i've recovered from my dislocated shoulder in january and am ready to ride mountain bikes hopefully soon after that...

let's go to downieville. i haven't ridden a dual suspension bike up there since my superlight back in '02.

that, and all the good places to ride in the san francisco bay area. camping at china camp and making it a riding weekend would be fun, even though many of china camp's trails have been dumbed-down, or so i've heard. many years ago, me and a gang of friends camped and rode at montana de oro, near san luis obispo. i remember this place being a BUNCH of fun.

el corte madera redwood preserve.

wilder ranch just north of santa cruz.

my hardtail is a marin pine mountain; it's a shame i've never ridden it on the pine mountain loop.

i have a brand new bike ('17 hawk hill) i only rode like eight times before i hurt myself and i just can't wait to ride it many more times!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    Colorado and new mexico for me but I go to both places each year, would like to get up to Oregon and Washington at some point next year but time will tell.
    GO!!! I go to Durango every year as well since I have family there. It's great riding but trust me, Oregon is the real deal. My favorite place to ride by far. So much green, so much water but most importantly, the dirt is usually miraculous. It's like some magic fairy mixers some moist dirt, mulch & pine needles before laying down a magic carpet that grips like no other. Pure heaven!!
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

No known cure
    I'm going back to Iceland next August, and I plan on exploring southern Oregon.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

V-Shaped Rut
    Probably on a lot of bike rides.

Every year I try to do at least one epic. Last year it was tahoe, this year I was actually thinking I'll stay in state and do something ridiculous close to home. There are some 50-60 mile epic races going on here in WA:

https://www.nwepicseries.com/

slow
    No plans to go anywhere for riding aside from the usual spring Moab trips. May add a fall Moab trip or 2. Otherwise, most everything will be here in Colorado and occasionally Southern Wyoming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    here, on MTBR looking at pictures, reading stories, waiting for work and other adult responsibilities to grant me more time to ride.

Keep on Rockin...
    Do, do, do, lookin' out my back door.

mtbr member
    Photo of a black bear - just for the MTBR One Picture One Line thread. Also, live entirely off of my blog. I'm off to a good start - .15 cents so far.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna hit New Zealand & ride some trails in the South Island & maybe some trails in the North Island!!

Oh wait...!?

I'm from NZ!!

Same channel, different day...

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Iím hoping during 2018, I take myself into being the rider I want to be! At 46, I want to deal with some gnarly stuff without breaking myself!! Baby steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Did all of Kokopelli and then White Rim in 2017.....2018 is Maah daah hey!

Super Clyde
    Not a lot of long distance travelling, mostly staying in NC. I'm planning a January trip to Pisgah, then 5 NICA races all over NC with my son in Apr-May. A couple weekend trips to the National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, another trip or two out to WNC and a couple trips to Uwharrie National Forest. During the summer I get Fridays off too, so there will be lots of riding involved.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    I don't plan ahead much, but I try to do one 3 or 4 day weekend trip plus one or two regular weekend or overnight trips each month. Then two one-week road trips usually in summer/fall.

The bucket list is long and ever-growing.

Will be in Phx area for New Years to do some riding. Would like to do more exploring in Anza Borrego this winter too.

Other likely destinations - Kernville, Tucson, StGeorge, Sierras, Tahoe/Downieville, Idyllwild, Big Bear, San Gabes, Santa Barbara, Ojai.

Wishlist for longer trips - CO/NM, BC interior, bikepack races, or ??? whatever place I become infatuated with in the coming months

So much to explore, so little time....

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well, since I'm just getting in to mountain biking after an extended absence, I want to get to the North Shore again once every few weeks (but take it easier than I used to), and back to Whistler at least once where I injured myself before I basically quit riding.

That, and I just want to ride!

Oh, and I'd like to get my wife to ride with me once in a while. This time I know better - I won't make her go on trails that are too tough for her....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    ^^^ Never ridden North Shore but looks pretty awesome. Squamish was a lot of fun, would like to go back. Whistler, Silver Star and Coast Gravity are on the list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Living here in BC, I'd never ridden Squamish back when I was riding before my hiatus. But it does look like there are some great rides there!

Candlestick Maker
    Hmm...I have no plans yet. But, thank you for the kick in the pants. I'll be traveling to Canada and South Africa, but do not plan to ride in either place. If it happens while I am there, great, but that won't be my focus.

Otherwise, I dunno...ride some epic "local" stuff like Monarch Crest, maybe Phil's World (which I bypassed last week on a trip to the GC) and just have a good time. Ride some of the new stuff off of Rampart, do the Log Machine, etc. Stay uninjured!!!!
    baker

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Staying uninjured is always a good thing!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Staying uninjured is always a good thing!
    With 3 surgeries in the past 5 years, it's a big goal for me. Knee, back, heart...ugh. Must...stay...healthy. But, let's not derail this thread with my lameness.

On topic, I will try to visit Oil Well Flats this year. Supposed to be some damn good riding down there and it is only 1.25 hours from the house...
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Santa Cruz in March
    Park City and then Denver area in July
    Tahoe in Sept

Considering Sedona for Thanksgiving

With liberal sprinklings of Big Bear Lake, CA

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Probably nowhere other than my local trails, a drive and overnight stay with my son to the Kingdom Trails and Allegrippis is a possibility but with a grand kid in the oven due in June riding in GA is more probable than PA and VT.

Ambassador of Chub
    As far from so-called 'civilization' as possible.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    First, before 2018...since it is mix of snow and rain falling here...will hit the gym for untill it stops falling (did it once two years ago and it was worth every drop of sweat - as boring as it was), then local hills (to beat some PB's?), in January Finale Ligure in Italy for 4 days, then Saalbach in Austria for 4 days in September..inbetween, every day or as often as possible, everything that is sort of close...be it road or dirt. A lot of that with some real good friends!
    Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My biggest goal for 2018 is to complete my first 100k MTB race. That means for the winter I'll be spinning my life away in my basement with TrainerRoad and Netflix. There are a couple local team endurance races later in the summer I want to check out as well.

As far as traveling goes, I want to make it to Brown County for a long weekend sometime next year. I also want to make my first trip to Pisgah, I've ridden around other spots in western NC before on vacation but never made it to the Pisgah area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Retired. At least 100 days of skiing (hopefully!) with some road trips. Would really like to become a solid class 4 kayaker (used to be, but age, etc.). Would really like to get back into rock climbing...lose 5 pounds.....and get in more mountain biking with my bride of numerous decades!
    Me too on December 31! Itís going to be a great year for riding and trail building.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    1st post here. Just picked up my first MTB in 16 years. Was pretty fanatical about it from the mid-90s to 2002. Broken bike frame + move to new job + getting kids grown up and through college + general life kept me from getting back into it. I did a lot of road riding and running. About 8 weeks ago, my wife said, "I know what I want to get you for your birthday - if it's something you actually want." So, I quickly caught up on the new tech and found a 2014 Specialized Epic Comp 29 in near-new condition (it's not in that condition anymore!).

So, my Passion is officially rekindled. In 2018, it's going to take me back onto all my old stomping grounds and many new ones. Mostly now just trying to find my MTB legs (and lungs) again, relearning some skills, and wondering why I waited so long to get back into it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Spend weeks in Gunnison and Crested Butte, return to Sedona, but also return to competition.
    Will be sneaking in some >50 and NUE races. Less to chase a podium, more to have something to point and train toward.

nvphatty
    Richland Wa is one such destination. Moab is yet another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My passion is gonna take me to jail someday. Meanwhile, I'll be back to Chile on january, to ride the huilo-huilo biological reserve, home of the trans andes challenge for this year, wich will end the same day we arrive there, no problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Richland Wa is one such destination.
    Certainly something other than mtb trails is drawing your interest there?

mtbr member
    Bigger trips for me this year are not bike-related. Escalante R. by packraft and two-longer backpack trips into remote parts of Grand Canyon. On the biking front my goals are modest. I want to finish the Prescott Circle Trail in under 7 hours and bikepack the BCT from the house, to the top of Mingus Mt. and south to trail's end.
    Veni vidi velo!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    isn't richland poisonous or something?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    most certainly is, hiking, fishing and a visit with long time friends whom reside there.

Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    isn't richland poisonous or something?
    The Columbia generating nuke station is a mere 10mi due north if that's what your referring to.

Live Free & Ride
    Eat, breath and live riding! Gravel grinding in NH and Maine. More local XC riding of course and few races in VT thrown in for fun! Mostly hoping to do some riding and bikepacking with my 14 yr old son and support him for 1st year racing!
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sedona in March, Sea Otter in Monterey in April, Ashland/Bend in May, Whistler in July.

mtbr member
    Back to Stowe, Vermont in the fall. Going to try some different trail systems in the area. Craftsbury, Hinesburg and Millstone are the most likely candidates.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Doing another family vacation to Whistler and Squamish.

Now that my son is bigger and a much better rider, we should have tons more fun than last time.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I pulled the trigger and bought a bike shop. Now I get paid to ride, or something like that.

If your ever in Jackson, TN come by and say hi to me a Bicycle City.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Griffin 420 View Post
    I pulled the trigger and bought a bike shop. Now I get paid to ride, or something like that.

If your ever in Jackson, TN come by and say hi to me a Bicycle City.
    Do you offer "goodies" at your shop?
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)
    Gravity G29er (SS)

Giggity

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    do you offer "goodies" at your shop?
    lol

mtbr member
    I hope this isn't too controversial (if you have peeked inside the E-bike forum you'd know what I mean), but I plan on getting a front hub motor conversion. That will allow me to explore my 'passion' for back trails that are far off the trailhead, several miles off, over the hills and far far away. Trying to bike/walk up a 1000 ft mountain just to get to the trails on the other side is not my idea of a good time, so yes, I will cheat and have some electric power help for this venture. It's going to be really fun to explore trails that no one else is on due to their remoteness, a real adventure.

Now, about that front hub conversion. Why front hub? It seems dumb to add weight to the front wheel doesn't it? Performance will be affected. But this isn't about performance, it's about casual exploring of back trails that would take half the day to even get to and back by normal pedaling. Now, if it gets to the point where I can't even turn the front wheel fast down trails I may rethink this, it's just an experiment for now. Who knows, maybe I'll get some bigger arms like the motorcycle riders have. I'm looking forward to the extra traction up front with some more weight up there for climbing, all-wheel drive with pedal power in the back and electric up front. I'll put on two torque arms to the dropouts (steel fork) just in case.

Luna Bikes sells a 500W front hub they say is only 9 lbs, but I wonder if the wheel weight is included, it may be more like 11 lbs total. That one is about $410. Amazon has one that's 22 lbs (yes that's a lot of weight), 360W for only $165, and an 8 lb Li-ion 36V 10.5 mA battery is an additional $285. Torque arms $22 x 2. For about $495 I can do the whole conversion, and add 30 lbs to the bike (right now with wide tires it's 37 lbs, so it's going to be a whopping 67 lbs total). But it's not really a conversion because you just take off the front wheel and battery and it's a normal bike again. This may turn out to be a disaster, or the coolest thing ever for exploring remote back trails (or something in-between); I'll keep you posted.
    ABSU: Arrogantly executing mythological occult metal since 1991.

mtbr member
    Alexandra, Central Otago, South Island - Linger & Die Enduro.

Will be my first 'full' Enduro Race.

Not so much racing @45 y/o, but it's the preferred riding style - that I enjoy.

Then, a couple months later - I'll do 3 Peaks Enduro, Dunedin, South Island, NZ.

Was supposed to do it last year, but a Wedding got in the way.

Couple of team races thrown in for good measure.

Keen to try my hand at individual long distance races. But, my riding buds & I... seem to be getting our Enduro on, of late.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member

Cross Washington

I'm in the process of turning my 1984 Ross Mt.Whitney into a touring klunker. My buddy and I are working up to get on the Cross Washington Mountain Bike Route
    Has anyone here ever done this ride before?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    My goals aren't as ambitious as some of yours, but I want to do more North Shore (Vancouver), Squamish, and at least one trip to Whistler....

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    My goals aren't as ambitious as some of yours, but I want to do more North Shore (Vancouver), Squamish, and at least one trip to Whistler....
    Our family vacation is going to Whistler and Squamish this summer. If the timing works out, maybe we could do a ride and beer together? I'd love for someone to join me on the Into the Mystic/Lord of the Squirrels ride that I'm itching to do.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hey, you never know! Let me know when you're coming and I'll see if a buddy can make it at the same time. He's the one who really knows it. Not me.... Plus, at over fifty, I'm going to be one of the slower ones up there. I'm an intermediate rider who doesn't really do much in the way of jumps!

mtbr member
    We got an offer based on our YouTube channel to go ride in Spain for 3 days in March. Couldn't resist so booked the flights the other night. Can't wait.
    A Mountain Biking Channel You Should Watch:
    http://tothetrail.tv

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Kingdom trails for the 2nd yr in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jombagimbley View Post
    1st post here. Just picked up my first MTB in 16 years. Was pretty fanatical about it from the mid-90s to 2002. Broken bike frame + move to new job + getting kids grown up and through college + general life kept me from getting back into it. I did a lot of road riding and running. About 8 weeks ago, my wife said, "I know what I want to get you for your birthday - if it's something you actually want." So, I quickly caught up on the new tech and found a 2014 Specialized Epic Comp 29 in near-new condition (it's not in that condition anymore!).

So, my Passion is officially rekindled. In 2018, it's going to take me back onto all my old stomping grounds and many new ones. Mostly now just trying to find my MTB legs (and lungs) again, relearning some skills, and wondering why I waited so long to get back into it!
    Congrats thats what I ride. Just got the rear brain rebuilt and itching to get it dirty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    To dodge the heat in June and July my wife and I are going to Iceland then to Switzerland to ride the Alps on Ebikes.

mtbr member
    Going tubeless in the front first, the back tire may be more difficult. Tired of ride quality suffering with higher psi due to tubes.
    ABSU: Arrogantly executing mythological occult metal since 1991.

Super Clyde
    I enjoyed my trip out to WNC so much I reserved a campsite for two weekends this summer, and I'm trying to nail down a weekend to head to Windrock.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Got a few places in mind for short weekend jaunts. Moab, Tahoe, Sedona and Mammoth are all ironically 7 hours or less away from me. On the more unlikely but REALLY want to trip idea, I would love to get up to Washington state this year for some riding with old friends. Especially a few days in Leavenworth, Wa. If you haven't heard of it, its worth a look up.