Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    There is NO Punk Bible!

Where in the world is biking viking!?

I havent seen a post by the ol' boy for a few weeks! I hope he didn't endo in the fjords!!
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American Public." - Theodore Roosevelt

mtbr member
    May 2004
    He's still around my woods :-)
    Or at least he posts in the same forums as I do, the norwegian ones.

I guess, the season has just started over here. We still have only 10 degrees Celsius so there isn't alot of super riding yet.

Okei, I can give a few samples of riding here then... :-)

These trails where used during the Thors Hammer Gathering.
    Me on the green Turner, and Henrik(14) on his brand new Gt Ruckus Idrive 2.0

Oh, btw, on the "jump" picture, Henrik hit the rock with his back wheel and endoed pretty hard :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

There is NO Punk Bible!

Hey, Jorgen...

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen

I guess, the season has just started over here. We still have only 10 degrees Celsius so there isn't alot of super riding yet.

Oh, btw, on the "jump" picture, Henrik hit the rock with his back wheel and endoed pretty hard :-)
    ....thats good to hear he is o.k. I do miss the wonderful photos he would post, and I check in to see them. It looks like the riding conditions are nice, at least the pictures look like great riding! Nice Photos, too!!! Thanks!
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American Public." - Theodore Roosevelt

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Yeah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen

Hei Jorgen:

Tell Geir hei when you see him from Ken in Alaska. We have some Norwegian neighbors who always speak English to me so I'm trying to learn a little of their language in return.

Tusen takk.

Ken
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Hοmo Velo

I'm here allright

Quote Originally Posted by old OI Punk
    I havent seen a post by the ol' boy for a few weeks! I hope he didn't endo in the fjords!!
    Peek-a-boo. Alive, riding, and well, but it seems I've turned into a roadie for a while. I'm training with a team for one of Europe's longest road races - from Trondheim to Oslo on the last Saturday of June. It's 335 miles and about 15K ft of elevation gain in one day!

Several thousand riders do it every year - quite a few spending 24 hours to cover the long distance. The goal of my team is faster than 15 hours, which is achievable if the winds cooperate. Nedless to say, we train a lot, not only to get the miles in, but getting 20 riders to work efficiently together takes quite a bit of practice.

Preparations have included lots of gorgeous road rides, but there's no way you can take pictures while you're motoring along at 27mph in a double pace line, so that's why there hasn't been a lot of posting from my side lately. There will be an extensive race report when we're done with the race - hopefully with pictures taken from one of the support cars.

This week has been quite normal for me:
    Monday - 2hr mountain bike ride
    Tuesday - Dual time trial race
    Wednesday - MTB short circuit race
    Thursday - off (fast group ride scheduled, but I was busy)
    Friday - 1.5 hour mountain bike ride
    Saturday - 110 miles road

Today, Sunday, I'm taking my 12-year old son Erik out to get him a workout and myself some active recovery from five hours in the saddle yesterday.

Erik also raced the MTB short circuit race on Wednesday. These are the only riding pics I've taken in a long time. It'll have to do for now.

Pic 1. Gotta love the cuteness factor of the youngest group
    Pic 2. Erik and his classmate, friend and fiercest competitor, Stian on the starting line
    Pic 3. Heading down into the chute - S.T.I.L. Erik in the lead, for now
    Pic 4. Last lap - fallen back a few places after some shifting trouble. Looks as tired as he was
    Last edited by Biking Viking; 05-15-2005 at 04:08 AM.
    If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

Slowest Rider

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Biking Viking
    It's 335 miles and about 15K ft of elevation gain in one day!
    What a clever, clever idea to sort out all the alien species hiding on earth. Just have a race no human can possibly do and let them sort themselves out!

Capture them all at the finish line, I say.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

E~Pluribus Unum
    Lookin more like his dad everyday. Damn that boy has grown.

Thanks for the pics.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    What a clever, clever idea to sort out all the alien species hiding on earth. Just have a race no human can possibly do and let them sort themselves out!
    Capture them all at the finish line, I say.
    LOL! Thanks!

You Are What You Is
    Hey, were those training wheels approved by the race director?
    335 miles in ONE day? It'd take me a week.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, Larry hit the nail on the head, didden he?

On an unrelated note, how did the Craig and Hollis Excellent Adventure go?

Ken

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    On an unrelated note, how did the Craig and Hollis Excellent Adventure go?
    Great!
    Check out my pics & write up here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...969#post909969

Hollis is still working on his.

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Coooo, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Great!
    Check out my pics & write up here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...969#post909969

Hollis is still working on his.
    Yeah, Hollis thinks he gets extra credit for neatness. Gladja had fun.

Ken

It was a bummer that you weren't able to make it down due to your close encounter with the snow bank, I was hoping to meet you.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    Y'know, anticipation is the best part of many activities, and meeting me probably falls into that category! Hollis just fired me an e mail, too--what he's doing up so late I don't know, but I think he wanted to get in HIS side of the story before I was prejudiced by yours!

We'll try it again next year, and the year after that, until we get it right! I still hope to spend all of the autumn months in Moab this year--we'll see what reality turns out to be.

Ken

old format's better
    Jan 2004

PS, Craig......

If I hadn't stayed home I wouldn't have gotten this much done on the new Ab-Fab Bike Shop and Welding Facility!

I've always been a dog person, but I'm LOVING my new Bob Cat.

Ken

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ab-Fab Bike Shop?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    If I hadn't stayed home I wouldn't have gotten this much done on the new Ab-Fab Bike Shop and Welding Facility!

I've always been a dog person, but I'm LOVING my new Bob Cat.

Ken
    Hey,
    I am relatively new to the group and I am curious about your new bike shop welding facility?
    Where? why? how? what? who?
    I have been mulling over something like it for years here in N.cal.
    Thanks.
    I was fast once, but then what fast was changed...

That is quite the shop you've built!

Now you can leave the windows in your old truck open and not worry about snow getting in.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    LOL! Thanks!

That's just the image I had in mind of the only sort of creature who could possibly do 335 miles and 15,000' climbing in one day. That's two of the longest rides in the grueling Tour de France, put together in one day!
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

There is NO Punk Bible!

Ah, yes, the BV photos!

Peek-a-boo. Alive, riding, and well, but it seems I've turned into a roadie for a while. I'm training with a team for one of Europe's longest road races - from Trondheim to Oslo on the last Saturday of June. It's 335 miles and about 15K ft of elevation gain in one day!

Several thousand riders do it every year - quite a few spending 24 hours to cover the long distance. The goal of my team is faster than 15 hours, which is achievable if the winds cooperate. Nedless to say, we train a lot, not only to get the miles in, but getting 20 riders to work efficiently together takes quite a bit of practice.

Preparations have included lots of gorgeous road rides, but there's no way you can take pictures while you're motoring along at 27mph in a double pace line, so that's why there hasn't been a lot of posting from my side lately. There will be an extensive race report when we're done with the race - hopefully with pictures taken from one of the support cars.

This week has been quite normal for me:
    Monday - 2hr mountain bike ride
    Tuesday - Dual time trial race
    Wednesday - MTB short circuit race
    Thursday - off (fast group ride scheduled, but I was busy)
    Friday - 1.5 hour mountain bike ride
    Saturday - 110 miles road

Today, Sunday, I'm taking my 12-year old son Erik out to get him a workout and myself some active recovery from five hours in the saddle yesterday.

Erik also raced the MTB short circuit race on Wednesday. These are the only riding pics I've taken in a long time. It'll have to do for now.

Pic 1. Gotta love the cuteness factor of the youngest group
    Pic 2. Erik and his classmate, friend and fiercest competitor, Stian on the starting line
    Pic 3. Heading down into the chute - S.T.I.L. Erik in the lead, for now
    Pic 4. Last lap - fallen back a few places after some shifting trouble. Looks as tired as he was
    I agree, the cuteness factor IS OFF the scale on photo #1!! Picture 4, the young dude has the same expression I get after a race! 335 miles! InONE frickin' DAY!? BV, your puttin' me on! Crap, that would take me almost a week! That means averaging 20 miles per hour (almost), not to mention the risk of a bursting heart on those climbs! One word comes to mind: ANIMALS! Impressive, I act like it is a big deal when I finish 40 mile races in 3 and a half hours!
    Last edited by old OI Punk; 05-16-2005 at 12:31 PM.

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Dear Notsofast:

Quote Originally Posted by notsofastanymore
    Hey,
    I am relatively new to the group and I am curious about your new bike shop welding facility?
    Where? why? how? what? who?
    I have been mulling over something like it for years here in N.cal.
    Thanks.
    Good handle!

Regarding your questions:

Where? Middle of Nowhere, Alaska, 99729 (near Denali National Park)

Why? Because I'm sick of moving cars out of the other shop in the winter time at 50 below to grind and weld and make sparks.(This addition is the mirror image of the other end of the building),

How? One other guy and me, and the power of hydraulics--did I mention I love the Bobcat?

What? If I know my wife, it'll be general storage if I'm not careful. In my mind, it'll be my semi-drive through (for ease in pulling dead vehicles into the facility), testosterone laden, smoking, flaming, rock n roll bat cave. As far as bike shop goes, we've got enough bikes of our own we need a shop. The neighbors stop by for help/advice once in awhile, though.

Who? It's a triple ownership deal, me myself and I. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

Ken

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by old OI Punk
    That means averaging 20 miles per hour (almost),
    Actually, we need to average 22.33 to reach our goal. This sounds a bit more unachievable than it rally is. When you're 20 riders on roadbikes in a double paceline, you can move along at 25mph+ on the flats without much effort. Still, I'm going to be tired at the end of that day.

If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Well, THAT'S encouraging....

Actually, we need to average 22.33 to reach our goal. This sounds a bit more unachievable than it rally is. When you're 20 riders on roadbikes in a double paceline, you can move along at 25mph+ on the flats without much effort. Still, I'm going to be tired at the end of that day.

....the fact that you'll be tired! I very laboriously wrote a long diatribe in your native tongue, but through the magic and wisdom of MTBR it was returned to English when I hit 'submit', so I gave up.

When you come here to visit you should do the Fireweed 400 race. The slackers take TWO days for it, so it could be a recovery ride for you. The halfway point is Valdez, which looks very much like the Lofoten Islands.

Thanks for sharing the great kid pics. Sorry I kinda hijacked the thread a bit.

Ken

beer thief
    The power of hydraulics! Ken, I have also joined the fray. I convinced my wife I needed it for landscaping around the house, and convinced my business partner (not the same person) to have the company buy it for me. Truth of the matter is that it's for building trail features & bridges. I'm digging it!

On topic - BV, good to see some photos of cute blonds (har har) from Norway. I've been too busy to lurk, but did click on this thread for nostalgia. Good stuff.

old format's better
    Jan 2004
    You're DIGGING IT?? Hoe hoe hoe, eh? I looked at mini-excavators that are getting to be popular for trail work, too. Lotsa good tools out there these days.

The mountain is a happenin' place; you're missing out on some dandy weather up there. Only 2 fatalities so far this season, twin brothers 55 years old who had summitted and were descending. An old, but still sad story, yes?

Ken

Kn3wB1e

New question here.

This summer I'm going to take a trip to Spitzbergen, Svalbard, Norway. it looks really rocky and mountianous and iwanna ride it. but i dont know if I'll be able to take my bike there. perhaps I could ship it. or rent one there.

HELP!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast