Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where to ride near NYC?

this is a call to all the New yorkers in the house...where do you go ride when you need to fulfill a mountain biking itch...

I've got car and wouldn't mind finding something somewhat technical (not too techincal) but can also get a nice workout/ride in...

Thanks in advance...

todd

Blue Mountain Reservation in Westchester County is a great place to go. Its just north of the city off Route 9. More info at www.wmba.org.

You could also venture into NJ and go to Ringwood or Allamuchy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you are on Long island go to www.climbonline.org
    This site has a map of all the trails on the island.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're looking for a riding partner, just holler at me via PM. spookykinkajou on this board also is in the area.

zeebot
    i agree blue is good. it's fun. i went there today and rode for 4 hours or so. it's not huge but its good for honing the technical skills and i suppose a good cardio workout although i must admit it doesnt seem so hard now after riding out in cali and really working on my cardio fitness over the winter. last year it was tough. now i dont breath hard. managed to flip over the handle bars once on a new trail the locals made there. that was fun...i love unexpected surprises

you dont need a car for there its easy using the metro north. 16.50 round trip from GCT.

ringwood is okay. i like blue better. i know a pretty good route thats maybe 7 miles??? long and hits most of the best stuff. great for training and doing 3 or 4 laps. i get sorta lost when venturing off the route but know a few other good long single track rides in the area as well.

let me know if you want a blue mountain tour i'll be heading there off and on throughout the year when not doing races and going upstate to ride with my training partner on some bigger hills.

just shoot me an email.

life is a barrel o'fun

NYC riding

The city itself is a rush (give the Greenway bike path a try) but if it's dirt you crave, Blue Mtn is great. I recommend Darwin as a guide, even if I did eat dirt (literally) once following his lead....! All my fault, though.

Long Island has a jewel of an XC trail way out east, in the form of Rocky Point. It's a one-way loop featuring a dozen black diamond offshoots. A few lung-busting climbs, but nothing like CA or CO. The main loop is 13.1 miles, but that doesn't include the 6-mile West End loop or the diamonds. Need a car to get there, takes just over an hour.

Also Cathedral Pines, maybe half the size of Rocky Point, but only a few miles away. So if you're still craving a little something after RP, head south a few miles.

Stillwell is the most technical of the well-known Long Island trails, another one-way loop, 5 miles or so. Only two diamonds, but if you add in the Greenbelt section, you get an extra twenty minutes or so of roots, rocks and other assorted surprises. Also closer to NYC, by car about 40 minutes. www.visionmtb.com has some more info.

Anyway, if a local is kind enough to show you around, be polite and try not to laugh or say, "You call these 'hills'?!!"

zeebot
    just so you know, i went to stillwell about 2 weeks ago. it was REALLY wet and muddy. it probably hasnt improved since then because of the rain and lack of sun. it's easy to get to using the LIRR or driving.
    Last edited by Spookykinkajou; 04-05-2004 at 04:19 AM.

life is a barrel o'fun
    Yeah, we've all been driven to distraction lately from all the rain. But if you let about two days go by after the rain, the trail should drain by then, with a few mud spots.

Hope you're not riding Stillwell too much in the mud.....?!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Yeah, we've all been driven to distraction lately from all the rain. But if you let about two days go by after the rain, the trail should drain by then, with a few mud spots.

Hope you're not riding Stillwell too much in the mud.....?!
    just that once and i wont go back again probably for the rest of the year. it was mostly just really wet nasty stuff that did a great job clogging up my chain. i avoided all the actual mud areas that would leave indentations in the ground.

was just wanting to test my new SS out. i'm not a big fan of stillwell since it has no hills and isnt very big.

mtbr member

Also, if you're pressed for time...

Sprain Ridge is nice. I was out there this weekend, and it's amazing how much singletrack they managed to pack into such a small park. Semi-technical, but there are a few jumps & drops to hit if you want them.

Lots of good suggestions so far.

life is a barrel o'fun
    Don't be talkin' trash 'bout Stillwell! Actually a very sweet roller-coaster ride when the conditions are favorable.

Sprain is also a lot of fun. Did a slo-mo fall off a log there once. Got halfway over, got stuck, then "timmmmberrrrrr......." CRASH!!

zeebot
    Don't be talkin' trash 'bout Stillwell! Actually a very sweet roller-coaster ride when the conditions are favorable.

Sprain is also a lot of fun. Did a slo-mo fall off a log there once. Got halfway over, got stuck, then "timmmmberrrrrr......." CRASH!!

never been to sprain. i've been meaning to stop by sometime but havent gotten around to it. how long can you ride there without repeating stuff constantly? I REALLY need to find some very long rides to do. would be great to not have to travel way up state or down south to do this. i'm doing some enduro rides and a few 50+ mile races this summer and need to practice that distance...

not dissing stillwell it's just not my style I prefer the technical riding of blue mtn over stillwell plus the ability to create longer routes without repeating.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Longer routes?

That's why you make the run from Stillwell to Bethpage and back
    i've never done that before. where is the trail that leads from stillwell to bethpage? how far is it?

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    You could do the loop and almost back to the parking lot, you'll ride near those train tracks. Go under and around the tracks and up the widowmaker hill. Follow that trail to Jericho tpke, right next to the Stop and Shop (that used to be a Pathmark), cross jericho and follow that trail down to Bethpage. Should take you under an hour to get there, about 45 minutes, or so. You can also just go directly in, or whatever.

I suggest two ways to do this. If you want a workout, you start at stillwell, head down to bethpage and then back up because the way back to Syosset is uphill.

Or you can start at Bethpage and cruise back downhill on your way back.
    ok i think i know where you are talking about. i dont know what widowmaker hill is...basically here's what i know. across the street from the parking lot next to the grocery store there's a trail that goes to an unknown destination(for me) i know the trail that goes back to the loop down the hill that has the sorta wood staircase built in near the rocky path at the bottom. then you go under the small bridge(tracks?) and that is near where the loop starts. sound right? thats all i know at stillwell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree with Christine, you have to give it a chance to dry. If you want a challenge, Park at the lot off of Jericho tpk , ride the trail to the loop and then ride the loop 3x. Guaranteed your legs will hate you and the ride back to the car will be a challenge.

mtbr member

I'd agree....i

it'd be nice to get out there and ride some trails...I've fallen into riding way, way too much road riding....around central, prospect and over the GW...

todd

mtbr member

will do...

I think I'm heading out to my mothers place out on the east end of long island this weekend and am going to try and get some riding in...probably be checking out the suggested long island trails....

if you're interested, we could meet up either Saturday or Sunday...

todd

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Artie159
    I agree with Christine, you have to give it a chance to dry. If you want a challenge, Park at the lot off of Jericho tpk , ride the trail to the loop and then ride the loop 3x. Guaranteed your legs will hate you and the ride back to the car will be a challenge.
    I did two laps when i went but stopped because the chain was taking major abuse from all the sandy mud-water. I love big hills and have trained very hard for those so riding relatively flat stuff really isn't that taxing. i'm not trying to say i'm a bad@ss or something. far from it. i just busted my @$$ over the last few years doing major cardio training and have a major itch to ascend high things

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey spooky or anyone else, I am heading to blue tomorrow in the daytime. If you are interested in going, PM me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    never been to sprain. i've been meaning to stop by sometime but havent gotten around to it. how long can you ride there without repeating stuff constantly? .
    Well...Sprain can be repetitive - it's not huge. You cab try Grahams Hills - it's a little bigger, and there are a few loops, so you can decrease your repetition.

mtbr member

darwin...when are you heading out tomorrow

I think I'd be into meeting up with you..

when are you going?
    where?

what's PM (maybe post a message?)

Thanks, Todd

life is a barrel o'fun
    I'm hoping to be back from Philadelphia by Sunday so I can hit RP. Really really REALLY miss RP during the off-season. It's perfect for a nice, long cardio workout.

Although the "off-island" trails are more technically challenging with bigger hills, I like that you can get a "flow" going on L.I. with the one-way loops. Depending on how much energy you've got, you can always add another lap, or skip the diamonds, or whatever.

mtbr member
    It's perfect for a nice, long cardio workout.
    Or you could sleep with Lance.

per the USPS thread
    I'll sponsor Lance if he'll sleep with me.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

life is a barrel o'fun
    {{{{sigh}}}}} Until that happens, I'll have to settle for RP, I'm afraid.

Which reminds me. Is that ***** Sheryl Crowe still alive??

zeebot
    rocky point sounds like fun if anyone feels lonely and wants to drag a carless manhattan island bound mtb'er out there sometime feel free to email me

on a side note...i'm going to pisgah starting may 1st for 7 days if anyone feels like roadtripping. i will have a car for that trip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast