Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where has time gone????

Hi Guys,

I started a new job last year around October ( which I pretty much hated and left around January for a new place that I'm at, which I also pretty much hate )

Anyways, I just haven't had much time all spring and summer to go for a ride. In fact it's been since October since I have been on my bike. I cant believe that its July and the riding season is half over ( well for these parts of Canada ) and only have a little three months or good riding temps to get out. My bike is in the basement all ready to go well, tire need air but that's it.

Dumb question but should I start riding now? It feels like I have already missed out for some reason.

Hermit
    If you don't start now you REALLY will miss the season. Get what you can, while you can - winter will be long and cruel.

Now go get on your bike.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thats what Im thinking. I guess you could bike here until mid November which is when the snow comes around so I could still get 4 good months. I miss early morning bike rides.

mtbr member
    I have an issue that could be life threatening. I have no regrets, as I've always had the attitude that the future isn't guaranteed. Don't waste the time you're given.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    One of my favorite quotes of all time:

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time" - Fight Club

mtbr member
    Cycling has only one season per year, from Jan. 1st to Dec. 31st...... ride and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guys I appreciate all the thoughts. I have been getting the bike prepped for a outing tomorrow. I might have to start small riding sessions building up again to longer ones.

It was around this time last year I got my bike. So you guys can be prepared here to get a whole new batch of "newbie" questions.

Thanks again. The thing I like about this forum and sport are the people. I always talk to great people on the trails and people here are fantastic. You sometimes see the same question asked here a hundred times and people are still kind enough to answer them with a solution instead of saying something like "go search"

- Jeremy

ouch....
    Go ride....do it while you can.
    The problem with *not* riding for a while...is the longer you stop, the less motivated you are to start again.

I guarantee though, when you get out there & ride, you will be feeling happy & excited about riding once you are out there.
    Just get out & do it, or you'll be stuck in a rut & the "no riding" will likely continue until the season is gone.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    The problem with *not* riding for a while...is the longer you stop, the less motivated you are to start again.
    Very, very true.

MTB Fanatic
    Time could be like this:

Better go ride!!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    On Sunday I rode with my best friend. I met him about 28 years ago in college and soon after that he turned me on to Mtn. biking. On Sunday I rode with my best friend. I was about twenty when we started riding together. On Sunday I rode with my best friend and his daughter and my son. It was awesome. My best friends daughter and my son are the same age now that we were when we first started riding together.

Get out and ride. Time is flying.
    Seek: Old Mtn. Goat Bar Stem Combo.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Where has time gone????

Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    Hi Guys,

I started a new job last year around October ( which I pretty much hated and left around January for a new place that I'm at, which I also pretty much hate )

Anyways, I just haven't had much time all spring and summer to go for a ride. In fact it's been since October since I have been on my bike. I cant believe that its July and the riding season is half over ( well for these parts of Canada ) and only have a little three months or good riding temps to get out. My bike is in the basement all ready to go well, tire need air but that's it.

Dumb question but should I start riding now? It feels like I have already missed out for some reason.
    "Oh you hate your job? Yeah, there's a support group for that. It's called everybody and they meet at the bar.", Drew Carey

Seriously, regarding riding, I wouldn't bother. You've already missed some of the season so really, what is the point? Might as well pack it in until next year.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

B.Ike
    If you don't ride it, it wont get dirty. plus its less likely to get a scratch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    It's the opposite for me. The longer I go without riding, the more I wanna ride!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,

Got out this morning about 5:30am and was out until about 7:00am. Its just too hot right now to ride during the day as when have had temps the last three days of 91 but feeling like 110 out. Even at 5:30am It was 75. I had a great time though. I stayed around the neighborhood for the most part but might take to some of the paved riding trails tomorrow. I dont know if I should do that or just do some smaller riding sessions until feeling back to form.

mtbr member
    Good work JerB!

mtbr member
    Yep. Good job. Just keep riding and things will get better every day.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    hold on a cotton pickin minute. "stayed around the neighborhood"...oh no, that really sounds like the "P" word...pavement..."might take some paved riding trails tomorrow." oh my god, it was pavement!

dude, you will never get your trail riding stoke back unless you ride trails. in fact, riding pavement may actually decrease your motivation to ride. get in the woods, tires on dirt ASAP!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I haven't ridden in two months and I just started to get trail fever. Unfortunately it has been raining every single day here so the trails are a wreck. I'm trying to be a conscientious rider and not go destroy them. I would definitely take some heat over the rain right now. Get out in the woods!

mtbr member
    Hi again guys,

I have been enjoying the heck out of my bike for the last week. Been out doing miles everyday and just having a blast. As for the trails, I just stick to the local paved and gravel bike trails( some great ones in Southern Ontario too ) . I have a GT aggressor so I wouldn't attempt anything too big as Its more just a bike for casual trails and maybe some light off road stuff. Which suits me fine. Maybe when my "riding" skills come along a bit better I will then look into a more rugged bike. At the moment I am just enjoying biking.

I have a question for you guys. This morning after my ride im wiping my bike down after giving the chain a cleaning. I use lemon pledge on one of those cloths used for polishing your car as I find when using this you get a nice slick look and dust and dirt dont stick as bad. Anyways I have the bike leaned up against a wall in the basement and I turn around for a second and the bike fell over, well kind of slid then fell over. I tried to grab it but my hands were to slippery and it slipped right between my fingers,lol

Everything works and looks fine, no damage or scrapes. Nothing would break on a bike from a minor fall on the carpeted basement floor would it?

Thanks again guys

Jeremy

mtbr member
    As long as everything is running/shifting fine you're good to go.

turtles make me hot
    What do you mean "riding season"? Get a fat bike and ride all year. I like cold weather riding way more than hot, nasty , humid summer riding.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    As long as everything is running/shifting fine you're good to go.
    Cheers tomcat,

Yeah everything is okay. I guess if things were damaged by a small tip over on the basement carpet id probably would have run into other problems riding the bike by now.

mtbr member
    Another thing I need is a camelbak. I am using a backpack at the moment for my gear but I just don't like it. too big for the items I need. Tomorrow Im just going back to cramming all my stuff in my saddle bag. I will start to look for a hydration pack. I just want something that can carry water and also have some storage for things like tubes,multi tools and etc.

pin it
    JerB: If you live in southern ontario, you can do any type of riding all year. Have the right gear, and make the time ... and Bob's your uncle.

2013 winter riding thread
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast