Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where does your bike take you?

The forest I am in seethes with radiance and decay.

Deep within the ragged and tempered reaches of my being,

seeds of hope and compassion are nurtured,

while layers of discontent lay fallow beneath its rotting leaves.

The echo of sweet rapture from a songbird awakens my senses,

for the moment leaving me free from wanting,

allowing my soul to simply be.

Where does your bike take you?-img_0722.jpg

An old photo with some new meaning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well put. Yes, a bike can take you on a journey both within and outside of yourself. Beautiful photo of a morning full of promise.

pin it
    Setting free, comfort, adventure, discovery...peace

Nicely stated and nicely illustrated
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A fine question.

My bike take me daubing.

To the mountains (The Valley of the Murray and the Western Fall Wilderness, Australian Alps),

... over the coastal ranges, to salty tasting weather (Point Dickenson, NSW South Coast),

... cross-crossing the labyrinths of The Great Escarpment (Tullyangella Labrynth, Ettrema Wilderness),

... and around the back-tracks in my windy, scary-dry, smoky neighbourhood (in the NW of the ACT).

I will always admire her for her energy, good company, n' toughness ... and especially her amazing load carrying ability.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    To infinity... and beyond!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa View Post
    A fine question. My bike take me daubing. To the mountains (The Valley of the Murray and the Western Fall Wilderness, Australian Alps)
    Does Australia allow mountain biking in wilderness areas? If so, us Yanks are insanely jealous.

hikebike-bagpeak
    To the highest reaches of God's green (or not so green) earth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where does your bike take you?-cimg0658.jpg  

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com/blog.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    June Bug, G'day. I can only talk about what happens here the SE of Oz. Several of the gazetted wilderness areas in the SE region, have trails where cycling is allowed.

In the SE the traditional wilderness regions are small by Canadian, Russian or Australian Desert standards, but greater than 3,000 sq kilometres, generally ... and within them, are the smaller, National Parks gazetted wilderness regions. Generally, cycling isn't allowed in water catchments within gazetted wilderness. From the recent NSW National Parks Cycling Policy, no where is off limits to hiking the bike or carrying the bike, to traverse a sensitive area.

The Bicentennial National Trail (5,580 km), runs the length of the Great Dividing Range through some of the wildest and most isolated areas of the Divide. Cycling is allowed on the unformed roads of the BNT, within several wilderness regions, in the Eastern States including Queensland and Victoria.

Also where the Travelling Stock Routes are in wilderness areas, cycling is allowed on the unformed roads of the TSRs.

New South Wales State Forests allows cycling in State Forests, Flora Reserves, Fauna Reserves and in the Primitive Reserves. The SE forests contain much wild country ... now, all on its way to China.

There is a book called Wild Places by Peter Prineus and the photographer Henry Gold. The original edition looks historically at the 22 traditional wilderness regions in Eastern New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. There is now an expanded 2nd Edition, that includes more wilderness regions in NSW. I don't know if you would find it in a library where you are, it is a top read with beautiful images and excellent maps. I've spent too much time exploring the SE wilderness regions thanks to Prineus and Gold's 1st Edition ... Wild places | Colong Foundation ... Some of Henry Gold's images ... NSW Wilderness Gallery - Photographs by Henry Gold | Colong Foundation

Rarely do I see anyone else, not even for weeks at a time when I go off-road touring, which goes back to the original ethic of this thread ... my bike takes me to enjoy the solitude. I like travelling alone.

Cheers, I hope that this answers your question.

Warren.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa View Post
    A fine question.

My bike take me daubing.
    Warren.
    Wonderful! Thank you!

My bike takes me many beautiful places. Runs the gamut from urbane and utilitarian, to the wild and oh-my-god-i'm-gonna'-die. Educational, humility inducing, and cathartic experiences abound.

But, mostly just smiles.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    The forest I am in seethes with radiance and decay.

Deep within the ragged and tempered reaches of my being,

seeds of hope and compassion are nurtured,

while layers of discontent lay fallow beneath its rotting leaves.

The echo of sweet rapture from a songbird awakens my senses,

for the moment leaving me free from wanting,

allowing my soul to simply be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0722.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	863478

An old photo with some new meaning.
    I'd sure hate to run into that honker of a web on a ride...
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLcheesehead1 View Post
    Been there, done that. Got a poem about that too. Too many expletives in it to share ;-)

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLcheesehead1 View Post
    Yes, my bike takes me through spider webs, too! The worst part was that I saw it coming a long way off - huge, perfect ...dew sparkling in the early morning sunbeam that managed to penetrate the canopy of the otherwise dim-green forest... but that was back in the days of wet canti brakes. I could neither stop nor turn due to the narrow corridor I was descending. And man, I hate spiders.

But if you've ever looked at a landscape painting, and wondered what the artist would have seen if they had walked up on that ridge they had painted in the background... that's where my bike takes me.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    It takes me away to a distant place, far from my typical day to day.

Vincit qui patitur
    Mine takes me to places in my mind.
    Wind therapy just like my MC rides.
    My bike has also helped me to reach/make new goals and make a huge decision in my career path.
    I'm almost 50 so a career change is HUGE.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

banned
    Jan 2014
    Divorce court if riding condition don't improve, so I can get out of wife's hair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4Prez View Post
    Divorce court if riding condition don't improve, so I can get out of wife's hair.
    Here’s one of the places my bike took me today - actual proof that there IS light on the other end of that tunnel :-)

Where does your bike take you?-img_5055.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My bike takes me to distant towns. By pedaling, all day. I love going on an adventure ride and then ask someone in their yard, "what town is this" the look is often priceless. The all day ride forces one to dig deep into their selves and ask, how many miles and for how long. The result is 40 to 70 miles, some road, some dirt path ,some singletrack. Always an adventure. Most of the time smiling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where does your bike take you?-1277500_660483057297691_1223939210_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My bike took me here a few years back money troubles were stopping me sleeping. I loaded up a pack with a bivvi tent, food and a spirit stove and went off to try and clear my head I didnt really have any plan I just rode till I was dog tired and found somewhere out of the wind to sleep the night.

P1000525 by fastmongrel, on Flickr

I woke in the morning stiff as a board and happier than I had been for months.

mtbr member
    Very cool stubs. May your money issues be long gone.

psycho cyclo addict

Where does your bike take you?

Yesterday on my commute home...

This in one if my favorites (from Yellowstone National Park ~6 years ago). It was extremely difficult to take; left me humbled, shakin in my boots from the ROAR of the water and contemplating the permanence of a loss of sketchy traction.

Where does your bike take you?-419601_3213135496238_1120407695_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Love seeing the images from all the diverse soul-cleansing treks taken. Often the journey provides a setting for quiet respite, other times taking us to a place of roaring contemplation. Nature, in all its splendor, warmth and gnashing of teeth, has always been a remarkable master of ceremonies. And the bicycle the perfect means of immersion.

Now if it would just stop raining here....the immersion has been a bit too literal lately ;-)

hikebike-bagpeak
    Quote Originally Posted by stubs View Post
    My bike took me here a few years back money troubles were stopping me sleeping. I loaded up a pack with a bivvi tent, food and a spirit stove and went off to try and clear my head I didnt really have any plan I just rode till I was dog tired and found somewhere out of the wind to sleep the night.

P1000525 by fastmongrel, on Flickr

I woke in the morning stiff as a board and happier than I had been for months.
    Awesome picture. Didn't catch where this was at, but looks like somewhere in Great Britain
    Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com/blog.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi fattirefreak your right it is Britain. Its on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border North West of Hebden Bridge just off the Pennine Bridleway.

mtbr member
    Great day on the 'Rock!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have to just say, I really like this painting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast