Ugly As F*ck

When Passion turns to Confusion - Help Uglyguy select a bike

I really don't like the bike industry. Why? Because there's too much to choose from these days.

I need a bike. Actually I need a few. Ok so I don't need a few. I want a few, and I plan on buying a few. I just don't know which ones yet.

I plan on having 5 in my stable when all is said and done. The line up will more or less be:

-Downhill bike. I'll be living little more than a half hours drive from a bike park by the end of summer. I figure it will be money well spent.
    -Trail bike. 26er. I was initially thinking 160mm... but if I have a dedicated DH bike I might go with 150 since this bike will be going on XC rides.
    -Dirt Jumper. Not picky on this one. Just going to find a cheapy on CL after I move.
    -Fat Bike. Probably a Pugsley. This will be a multi-purpose bike. Dedicated commuter (if I live close enough to work to commute), backup trail bike. And let's face it, they're just fun to look at.
    -Santa Cruz Chameleon. This is the only one I already have a specific make and model picked out. This bike looks rad and can be set up so many ways. I plan on using mine as an aggressive trail bike. So it will be another backup trail bike and just something to play around on. I will probably just buy a frame and build it up myself since I've never done a build before.

So where I could use some help and/or suggestions is with the trail bike and DH bike. Initially I wanted an Enduro, a do it all bike that I could ride at parks and on XC trails. But now I'm looking more at the 150mm bikes, and I'm thinking of going with a Trek Remedy carbon. I have no way of test riding one, or any other longer travel bike because they don't sell them where I live. And demos almost never come here. I did make it to a Santa Cruz demo not long ago because I want to try out the Nomad C. And of course it rained that day so I could only pedal around in the parking lot on it.

I know you'll say "wait until you move and then try out some bikes before making a purchase". Well, problem is I want the bike before I move because I'm going to be driving past so many great riding zones. I do currently have a FS 29er XC bike. I am trying to sell it because it is not my style at all. I don't like the big wheels, makes the bike too tall and leggy for me, puts my center of gravity too high. And they just aren't a playful bike IMO, they don't like to jump or manual. So this bike in particular might get me by on the trip on some XC trails, but would do me absolutely no good at the bike parks. And I plan on hitting at least 2 maybe more on my trip.

So.. thoughts? Opinions? What makes any one bikes suspension technology stand out over others? If location and terrain should come into factor in this decision, I'll be living in Reno. The DH bike will see plenty of abuse at Northstar in the summer. And the trail bike will be everywhere from Reno to Tahoe to Downieville and eventually places like Santa Cruz and Bend once I get out for some longer road trips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The only downhill bike I've ridden as of late is a Specialized Demo 9. It will plow through almost anything and corners awesome. I imagine a newer Demo 8 would ride similarly, but would be lighter and more nimble than mine.

I recently put together a Banshee Prime 29er. For xc and all mountain riding, it blows away anything I've ridden before. I would suggest looking at either a Rune or a Spitfire. With the same linkage as the Prime, either one should ride just as well. You would also have the option of running 650B if you decided you wanted to change wheel size down the road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just buy whatever your friends use.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

gotta get up to get down
    get a sweet 6" trail bike ASAP, transition covert/santa cruz nomad/trek remedy/banshee rune/specy enduro/etc. something that can be built pretty burly and ride the **** out of it everywhere rather than thinking about all the other bikes you need or will need

don't commute on a pugsley, get a cheapo beater with skinny tires. fatbike in general will probably get the least use

then a get a long travel machine for Lift assisted or shuttle days

depending on your area, you might also want a hardtail 26 or 29 for smoother, cross-country trails with lots of pedaling and a dirt jumper (chameleon)

mostly, just stop worrying about what to buy and put a pedal down. you'll end up with a better idea of what you really want in your stable

mtbr member
    Stay away from the big brands. Get cool lesser known stuff. Just my opinion remember.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Just buy whatever your friends use.
    I'm ugly and don't have any friends.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    get a sweet 6" trail bike ASAP, transition covert/santa cruz nomad/trek remedy/banshee rune/specy enduro/etc. something that can be built pretty burly and ride the **** out of it everywhere rather than thinking about all the other bikes you need or will need
    I still keep looking at the 6" bikes. The Enduro looks awesome as does the Trek Slash 9.

I just don't want both a 160 and 150 bike. And I think in the end, with having a dedicated DH bike, that I'd prefer to ride trail and XC stuff on a lighter 150 build. That's really why I've been so hesitant to get a 6".

gotta get up to get down
    IMO it's all in how a specific frame feels on the ride (pedaling, bb height, downhill performance) as well as personal preference stuff such as fit vs. bike size. not in a number, which is what 140 mm 150 mm 160 mm 5 inch 6 inch who gives a f*. ride a ton of bikes, feel it out.

there's even a few wagon wheelers out there now that are starting to get the big bike treatment (niner WFO, enduro 29) and are worth a look as well. not all niners ride like an XC bike these days

In general, it's more about the frame's geometry and suspension linkage design than it is strict numbers like travel length. and as long as it's a reasonably light build and/or you have a wheelset to swap (heavy dh vs light trail wheels), you should be fine pedaling it everywhere...just pick up something that feels really good on a demo and quit debating whether you can lug it around on your local trails and have a shitton of fun.

rode 44 miles in the past 2 days, lots of road/city trails/bike paths/technical singletrack/medium size dirt jumps/etc. in the mix
    on a 33 lb 2008 gt force with a 2.5 DH casing muddy mary front and 2.35 hans dampf on the rear (slowest rolling tires ever haha)
    so just ride what you love and love what you ride is my recommendation

gotta get up to get down
    also, YMMV but here's some options based on my (limited) experience:

i rode a pivot firebird, and it actually pedalled Amazingly (6.6" / 167 mm travel rear) believe it or not. and it totally slayed on the downhill. the demo build kit on it was $$$ though

also rode a niner WFO, pedalled suprisingly well for a 29er with 5.5" of travel, worth a look for sure. amazing on the downhill, didn't feel like any wagon wheel bike. didn't have the ole "riding on top of the bike" feel or having to change the way you corner (steering around the corner and upright vs leaning the bike over). none of that was an issue on the WFO!

if i had the $ i'd get a specy enduro expert evo 26 though, that bike looks like the end of all bikes

transition bandit looks like a great lighter trail bike, or the covert for the heavier duty build

Also, santa cruz has a clearance page where you could build a blur lt up for cheap (140mm, great geo) or a heckler/nickel for even cheaper
    Santa Cruz Bicycles

Rogue Exterminator
    Does the downhill park rent bikes?

Buy a DH rig for $3000 OR Rent one for $60
    With all the other types of riding you plan, you may hit the DH park once or twice a month.

So that being said, you can rent a DH rig from the park for 2 to 4 years for the same price of buying one and still never have to worry about parts, repairs or tuneups.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

gotta get up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Does the downhill park rent bikes?
    Buy a DH rig for $3000 OR Rent one for $60
    He mentioned his home mountain is Northstar, check out their rental bike pricing:

Mountain Bike Rentals All Day* Afternoon*
    Downhill Bike $139 $119
    Freeride Bike $125 $105

Rogue Exterminator
    Even at those prices, it could still be a good value depending on how much he goes.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Ugly As F*ck
    I'm going to get a season pass. I'll be there every Saturday and Sunday. I'm buying a DH bike.