Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

what's your favorite time of day to ride?

I used to always ride in the afternoon after getting out of work but since getting older and having a family my favorite time ride is the early morning. I love getting up early (5:30am), putting my gear and bike in the car and hitting the road by around 6. My wife, son and even the dog are still asleep and the house is all quiet. There's little to no traffic on the roads. I'll stop for a cup of coffee on the way to the trails and am usually the only person at the parking lot. The trails are empty with maybe just a dog walker or horse rider out there. I can get a few hours of riding in and the weather is still cool and just warming up. By the time I get home my family is up and I have the rest of the day ahead of me.

Time to get my gear ready for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't work until 4pm so on weekdays I love riding in the morning. No one is ever one the trails and in the summer its still a little cooler outside

Dirt Junkie
    Daytime,

....with Night time coming in a close second.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    ^^^second that. I see there's a "when do you ride with a family thread" going. I dont have kids and I work a slacker second shift job that pays well enough. I normally ride everyday after I sit around the house doing nothing for a few hours. Normally thats around 9 or 10.

mtbr member
    Depends on the weather. Now that its summer time I rather go in the morning (around 8:00) just to beat he heat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm a Morning person, I get up around 4:30 for a 6:00 a.m. ride. I prefer to ride in the Morning time while im still fresh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

what's your favorite time of day to ride?

I do after work weekday rides with friends and early morning weekend rides by myself. I get the social aspect during the week and the quite mellow mornings on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I prefer mornings in the summer to beat the heat,, once summer is over,, night rides all the way!!

Rides with Scissors
    I prefer mornings. While it's no fun being the person who knocks out all the spiderwebs that cross the trail (I've almost wrecked when a spider was dangling from the front of my helmet), it's nice being the only person out on the trails. I like the peace and quiet.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Professional Dirt Sampler
    I like riding in the mornings too. Hitting the trail as soon as there is enough light to do it safely. No better way to get the day started.

mtbr member
    I try to ride during the warmest part of the day (I live in interior Alaska) so usually sometime around 1-2pm. I'm a grad student so I have some flexibility in the summer, during the fall/spring semesters I ride whenever I have free time and the conditions are suitable.

mtbr member
    I like riding during any time of day, but very early mornings are the best. Sunrise and still almost dark in the bottom trails.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mornings - up at 4 or 430am and at the trail head by about 6am, back home by 10am and the day is still ahead of me...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by lm1262 View Post
    I don't work until 4pm so on weekdays I love riding in the morning. No one is ever one the trails and in the summer its still a little cooler outside

That was great when I worked 3-11. No alarm clock, just wake up, coffee & breakfast, ride, lunch, then work gets whatever energy I had left
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    After work till dark then get home and sleep. I use to ride mornings, but after a long morning ride the rest of the day would drag.

mtbr member
    Road bike, early morning, say 8:30. Mountain bike, late morning. I like get out after it's begun to warm up. I'd rather sweat then freeze.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Gotta be in the morning at this time of year, to beat the blistering heat that comes on around 10 am.

Brackish
    4:45 AM, I rode at 8:00 Saturday and couldn't believe how many people were on the trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Surprised to see so many early birds! Around 10am for me is the best time, or afternoon after 4pm.

mtbr member
    This year I work deeps, so I get off at 6am, on the trail by 7am usually, which works well for Texas summers and beating the heat. This year it's been around 80 at that time, so it's nice, but warms up quickly. 2nd would be evenings leading in to night rides. Next year, looking to switch to days so I'll have to adjust my riding times, maybe on my off days I can still hit some early morning rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Here there early birds get to freeze their asses off in the foggydrizzle many mornings.

My favorite time to ride is afternoon to sunset.

I am NOT a morning person. 5 in the morning is best approached from the OTHER side, dancing.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Really it depends on the season. The hotter it is, the earlier I like to ride...Winter, more towards mid-afternoon to take advantage of the warmest part of the day.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Early morning around 5am has always been my favorite time to ride. The air smells so fresh in the morning and it reminds me of when I was younger and would get up early to go racing with my Dad.

mtbr member
    Just prior to the beer being chilled ^^ seriously, I have 3 kids... anytime I can get is good time
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    In the cooler weather I'll ride in the early afternoon, after lunch. But now that its hot and humid I ride in the mornings. I usually get to the trail around 9:00 AM. When the weather gets cooler again I'll ride in the early afternoon again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast