Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Michigan Wolverine
    I really enjoy a good morning ride, but I can never drag myself out of bed to get up and go. Usually end up riding in the evening instead.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

Inspector Gadget

what's your favorite time of day to ride?

Sunset and into a night ride is my favorite
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Early morning is the best. It's quite, with much less traffic on the road or trails. Plus, I love the colors of the sunrise at this time. Either in the sky or the way they enhance the scenery.

Peaceful!
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

~*~*~*~*~
    Morning is always nice for all the reasons everybody else have mentioned, but I very rarely can manage to get myself out the door in the morning for a ride! It only seems to happen when I arrange to meet someone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If I can roll back up to the car by the twilight, that's ideal. I hate mornings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like going around 230-3 because nobody is on the trails cause they're still at work.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I'm fairly temperature independent when it comes to riding (10F to whatever) and I do most of my riding to/from work. Perfect riding (for me) happens around 0545 (if it's light) as there are no cars to deal with on the road section of my ride, I can see the soft spots on the gravel, it's not buggy yet and let's face it, sunrise is cool.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I am a night owl because I have been on nightshift for over 9 years. I love riding at night. It is a lot of fun exploring areas where I live and just having most of the roads to myself. I also like day riding but I prefer riding at night. It's cooler out (especially in NC) and I am used to riding at night at work. Always important to have a good light system on your bike, extra batteries and visible clothing but I am used to having that on when I ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Night riding is probably my favorite. I like the solitude and the focus. I think I ride better and get more out of it(mentally.) If I had to choose between daytime hours it would be within an hour or so after sunrise. The earth waking up is a pleasure to watch and be a part of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    ahhh 5am, that is usually just before I go to bed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    LOL, sort of. I usually work all night 4pm-4am, get home and unwind till 5:30-6am depending on the "unwinding" and then I sleep during the day. I am a "morning" person, just a little earlier in the morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It is better now (been on nights for more than 9 years) than when I rotated every two weeks, two weeks nights, two weeks days. I felt like I was going to die every rotation and statistics show people who rotate shifts die much earlier than those who don't. I am pretty used to it now after almost a decade of nights. Some "days" (or nights) are harder than others but that is life.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Prefer early AM, nobody else out on the trails, rest of the day to get stuff done. Unfortunately, work gets in the way most days, so it's usually late afternoon by the time I get to ride and my butt's already draggin'.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    i work nights so not a morning person. Honestly though the heat midday lately has been a *****, still prefer mid day especially when its on the hot/humid side. few ppl at best to share with when I want to get out and test new things, work on technique since slim chance of messing up someone elses ride by walking/riding back to try a section again or being stopped to adjust something. Been riding lately at about 85-90 deg with high humidity in wooded trails (midwest). Does wonders for conditioning when carrying a 3L hydropack loaded with the normal extras too.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Now Spring has sprung and summer is on the way, my allergies have started to kick in... so unless I load up on antihistamines etc. I try to avoid early am or dusk riding... worst time for pollens that affect me... before or after lunch are preferred at the mo ^^

Anyone else suffer the hay fever?
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    I'm suffering as I type this!!! sneezing and sniffling... I like the morning or afternoon/early evening ride on the greenway (paved) and midmorning rides on the trails. Before it gets too hot and crowded
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    I am NOT a morning person. 5 in the morning is best approached from the OTHER side, dancing.
    x2

If I'm up before 7am it's because I haven't slept yet.

I'm lucky enough to work from home so lunchtime rides are doable. Nobody on the trails midday except a few nice stay-at-home moms out walking dogs and trail running (in the cutest fitness outfits ever btw), good motivation!

Gnarly
    Late afternoon and early evening during summer (the forest seems quieter, trails are not busy and sun is less intense)
    It's also a good time of day to take pics

Midday and afternoon during fall and winter... yup "winter is coming"
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I used to always ride in the afternoon after getting out of work but since getting older and having a family my favorite time ride is the early morning. I love getting up early (5:30am), putting my gear and bike in the car and hitting the road by around 6. My wife, son and even the dog are still asleep and the house is all quiet. There's little to no traffic on the roads. I'll stop for a cup of coffee on the way to the trails and am usually the only person at the parking lot. The trails are empty with maybe just a dog walker or horse rider out there. I can get a few hours of riding in and the weather is still cool and just warming up. By the time I get home my family is up and I have the rest of the day ahead of me.

Time to get my gear ready for tomorrow.
    This is pretty much the same thing for me on weekends. By the time I return from the ride my wife will usually have breakfast ready! It's a great feeling to already have a ride in while most people are just starting their day
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    With a 1 year old, I squeeze a ride in whenever possible, usually night time after she is asleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2