Thread: What's next?

mtbr member

What's next?

Looking for what's next... for me?

I have been riding since 1990... some road but mostly MTB. I started with a steel fully rigid trek and have run the gamut from there to front susp, to full susp, back to hardtail, to now singlespeed. Currently riding a steel frame On One Summer Season, steel frame, set up for single speed, with a Fox Float 140 on front.

In a bit of the doldrums riding wise and just wondering if you had opinions on what might get me going strong again. I have a few options, I think:
    • 26" full sus
    • 29" hardtail
    • custom or semi custom Ti frame
    • 2x10 gearing
    • 1x10 gearing
    • 29" full susp

There may be others...

Or am I just being silly? I ride regularly. Mostly tight singletrack, with travels to fast and swoopy "imba style" flow, along with the every now and then "big ride". I am a basic trail rider, not a racer, not fast, don't catch big air, enjoy being in the woods and have fun on fun trails. I have moved past enjoying the "death ride" and don't mind that I sometimes choose to walk a section that earlier in my biking life I would have challenged and crashed and hurt...

So what say you? Stop my search and ride, get the latest and greatest (can you define that?) or perhaps search for an upgrade for my current super tough steel steed?

Ramble ramble....
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

What's next?

Find some new trail? Bike cant define the fun like the guy on the bike can. Or somethin like that.

please, just ride
    Throw some drop bars on your bike.
    I picked up a Salsa Fargo recently and plan on doing some bikepacking with it, but it has been a blast for just railing my familiar local trails on. Totally different style and approach compared to my full suss and it keeps things interesting.
    Also try going back to flat pedals if you have been clipped in for a long time. Talk about an eye opener. I totally forgot how to ride a bike properly with flats. This will be my next mission if I get "bored".
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    Find some new trail? Bike cant define the fun like the guy on the bike can. Or somethin like that.
    Truth... perhaps find the next "big ride" to train for... good thoughts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seedy View Post
    Throw some drop bars on your bike.
    I picked up a Salsa Fargo recently and plan on doing some bikepacking with it, but it has been a blast for just railing my familiar local trails on. Totally different style and approach compared to my full suss and it keeps things interesting.
    Also try going back to flat pedals if you have been clipped in for a long time. Talk about an eye opener. I totally forgot how to ride a bike properly with flats. This will be my next mission if I get "bored".
    I'll have to see if I can jump on board someone's bike with the drop bars... can't really see it. BUT that is why I am asking. Totally think the flat pedals might be a way to go at this point. Good thought.

Thanks

Gimme free stuff
    Take a trip! Even driving two hours and pitching a tent in a park and riding there can reignite the thrill of riding. Make to bring your significant other... Of course I mean your favorite bike...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Take a trip! Even driving two hours and pitching a tent in a park and riding there can reignite the thrill of riding. Make to bring your significant other... Of course I mean your favorite bike...
    I am leaning hard towards this great advice. This is what I meant by "big ride"... I have a few other ideas brewing also. Thanks for the reminder..

mtbr member
    Stop Riding!

That always works for me. I ride six months of the year and ski six months. By this time of year, I've had my fill of skiing and look forward to riding. Come next October, I'm itching to ski. Maybe where you live skiing is not a great option but there are other things you might like to do. Getting new equipment is nice but material things are not the long term solution. Change is good.

Actually, you sound like you are doing just fine. After a while the spark may not be there but you have settled into a comfortable routine.

PS: I do like the idea of a trip others have recommended. It will provide a "change" in where you ride.

Gimme free stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet View Post
    I am leaning hard towards this great advice. This is what I meant by "big ride"... I have a few other ideas brewing also. Thanks for the reminder..

I live in Rochester, NY. I will go to Ithaca (1.5 hour drive) or Buffalo (1.25 hour drive) and ride for a day and then just come home. Every time I forget the trails in these areas (relatively to the trails in Roc) so it always seems new.

We all needs some fresh every now and then
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post

I live in Rochester, NY. I will go to Ithaca (1.5 hour drive) or Buffalo (1.25 hour drive) and ride for a day and then just come home. Every time I forget the trails in these areas (relatively to the trails in Roc) so it always seems new.

We all needs some fresh every now and then
    Hey Tim, I'm from Rochester too, small world huh? Can't wait for this snow to melt so we can get back on the trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    go back to 20 year old hardtail 26 incher with rim brakes

anything else is plain old hype.

mtbr member
    Learn some new skills!

Take a trip to the Seven Springs bike park near Pittsburgh, rent a DH bike & discover all the fun stuff you've been missing by only riding XC.

Also, check out Ray's MTB in Cleveland before it closes 4/24, rent a jump bike & try out the rhythm lines & pump track. Bring your trail bike for the skinnies & obstacles.

(edited to fix typo)
    Last edited by B-Mac; 04-04-2014 at 07:12 AM.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    I went back to riding full rigid steel hardtails, one a 29er 1x9 and the other a 26 1x10. I have had more fun riding these bikes over the last two years than I have since I was a kid riding a BMX bike. Sometimes simpler is just more fun.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The only thing better a new bike is 2 new bikes. Or, try some trail work, bikepacking, bike touring, or riding with a new group of people. New trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: What's next?

Full rigid SS?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Half the fun of riding is meeting new people. I don't race much, but I enjoy comparing my skills against others. It's a rush to meet a guy who can a absolutely destroy me on the climbs, but I can give him a run for his money going downhill.

Or finding a bunch of riders who are all similar fitness and skill level and who enjoy the same types of rides.

I've found that being involved with a club helps as well. Being part of a community really boosts the interest of meeting new people and riding new trail.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    FATbike = FATsmile

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree with bad andy, try a FATbike! I try to ride every day because of my diabetes so I'm always looking for ways to keep it interesting and fun which is just what I got with my new Fatty.
    Mole

Gotta pay to play
    Try road riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe a fatbike.

Maybe a cross bike...which you can ride on the road, gravel roads (look into "gravel grinders" aka endurance rides that are mainly on gravel roads), and on trails if not too technical.

Get some packs and try bikepacking/expedition.

mtbr member
    I am researching and heading strong towards the next "bug ride"... see quotes cause this really means a ride that has some meaning and one I have not done :-)

Thanks for all the input.