mtbr member
    Oct 2010

what is your pre and post ride routine?

since i live in florida i tend to ride fairly early in the morning. i usually get up at 5:00 and get my crap on. ill ice down my water deal in my dakine camel back thingy, load the bike in the truck and head out. i stop at the 7-11 by the house and have a monster or 2 on the 45 minute drive to the trail i ride, alafia. once there ill unload the bike and make sure the brakes and derailleur is adjusted properly, inflate my tires, and hit the trail. i usually ride between 10 and 20 miles depending on how im feeling. after my ride i hit the publix by the trail for a half sub.

Professional Crastinator
    I am always ready to go.

Last year, every Tuesday, it was work, change, drive to any of 7 different trails, ride 'til dark, beer and wings, shower, bed.

This year it's every Sunday, wake up while it's still dark, eat, get dressed, leave from the house just as the sky is lightening, arrive at the trailhead while the woods are still pretty dark and don't even slow down as I hit the same singletrack once a week. Ride home, shower, pancakes, bacon, start my day. If it's after noon, I like to combine beer with MTBing every chance I get.

I try to eat well and drink lots of water the day before.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I masturbate after a ride.

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by totom View Post
    I masturbate after a ride.
    Didn't take long for that response. You could see it coming (pun partially intended)

mtbr member
    So that is hit woods in the morning then hit the morning wood?
    Your never too old to have a happy childhood!

mtbr member
    Check hydration bladder, lube chain if needed, air tires if needed, open basement door, get on bike, pedal 1500 feet to trails, ride 4 - 18 miles depending on route/time available.

Open door, put bike away, shower, do other stuff, think about how lucky I am

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    After a ride I shower, then ice cold beer.

mtbr member
    Pre ride: Ready myself for the general public, manage a construction project or two for 9 hrs, much like herding cats. Post ride: enjoy a few cold pints while watering the garden and herding cats...actual cats. Rinse. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

mtbr member

what is your pre and post ride routine?

Weekdays once or twice a week. Head from work to the closet trail out of the many here. Ride 8-14miles. Weekends i ride both days, sleep in make a good lunch, get all my errands done. Then check the bike out, roll to my favorite trail, have a safety meeting and ride 15-20 miles at dusk and into the first hour of the dark. Have a beer or two post ride. Usually all quite and alone. Good way to clear my head from all the **** during the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    I ride early too since its summer and hot. But not as early as you. I get up around 8 to 8:30 AM. I put on the cylcing clothes and walk Loie (the little dog). Then I'll have a quick easy breakfast (microwave pancakes and chocolate milk). Then I load the bike on the car carrier. I keep the helmet, shoes and gloves in the car. Then I put the bladder in the camelback. I keep the filled bladder in the fridge. Then I head out to the trail. When I return I unload the bike and put it away. I refill the bladder and put it in the fridge. Then I shower and change into shorts and a T-shirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nate. View Post
    since i live in florida i tend to ride fairly early in the morning. i usually get up at 5:00 and get my crap on. ill ice down my water deal in my dakine camel back thingy, load the bike in the truck and head out. i stop at the 7-11 by the house and have a monster or 2 on the 45 minute drive to the trail i ride, alafia. once there ill unload the bike and make sure the brakes and derailleur is adjusted properly, inflate my tires, and hit the trail. i usually ride between 10 and 20 miles depending on how im feeling. after my ride i hit the publix by the trail for a half sub.
    I generally hit up that Sonic for the post ride snack/ milkshake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    After a ride I shower, then ice cold beer.
    First ice cold beer and then shower, that's how I always do it

mtbr member
    Hmm, a flow chart is more appropriate for my pre-ride, but I'll limit it to the MTB side Check weather, call riding buddy, decide on which trail depending on: weather, trail conditions, if I feel like driving or if wife has the car. Then move CO2, tools and levers to hydration pack from road bike's seat bag (if not already in there). Fill hydration pack, get dressed, put bug lotion on skin, put bug spray that won't melt clothes on everything else. Get bike from basement, bike functional check, ride/drive to trails, have good-great time. Get home, brush mud off bike, put bike away, take a shower, have whatever wife has prepared for dinner or make dinner if wife is at work. Think about cycling again.

Clueless Bastard
    Pre Ride
    -Get up when I want
    -With fresh roasted beans, make cappuccinos for my wife and I
    -Scarf down a big bowl of organic muesli
    -Quick look at the weather. Snow? Ski. No Snow? Ride
    -Collect my crap, and roll. Sometimes I have to drive. Sometimes not
    -Ride for 3-5 hours

Post Ride
    -Eat lunch
    -Shower
    -Take a nap
    -Wash/Clean bike
    -Do other bike maintenance as needed

mtbr member
    During the week: Don't hate me, but my work allows me 1 hour a day for physical fitness. So I wrap up any work around 11:30, assuming I'm not doing a test flight or ground maintenance run, and head for the ice machine and water fountain to top off my Camelback. Walk down the hall to the locker room, change, and then head downstairs with my bike. 1.5 miles of riding gets me to the entrance of the Jennings National Forest and a bazillion miles of jeep trails. I ride out for 20 minutes, ride back for 20 minutes, then cool down while I eat the lunch I brought to work. I go back upstairs with my bike, shower and change, then get back to work. I usually only manage to do that 2 days a week. The rest of the time I am either in a meeting or sitting in a hot helicopter out on the flight line in 95 degree heat. My job does allow me a unique opportunity to scout out new trails from the air.

Weekends: Sat/Sun morning before the family gets up I get dressed, drink something with caffiene, rid myself of any excess weight, and drive 10 minutes to the local trail or as much as 1.5 hours to better trails. I ride for an hour to hour and a half (10 - 15 miles). I'll drink some water or Gatorade while I cool down. Occassionally I'll smoke a nice cigar while cooling down. Once the sweat is no longer pouring off me I'll drive home.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I get up...take a dump...then eat breakfast....have to take another dump...then pack bike and gear...yep...another dump... sometimes on way to TH, another dump or at the TH pray there is a bathroom because have to take another dump. IBS sucks.

Post ride: Get home, shower, and turn on the Xbox for some Battlefield action.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

psycho cyclo addict
    Simplicity for me...

Eat meal beforehand and have a couple of cups of home brewed coffee (if it is morning).

Fill a 22oz bottle of water (I carry a second one if it is 85+ deg and I'm riding more than 20 miles). I bring Camelback for 50+ milers or cold weather (< ~45 deg. F) trail rides.

Stuff a protein bar, peanut butter crackers and fruit chews into a jersey pocket (most of the time I only eat one of the three).

I maintain da bikes so only thing I do before a ride is check the tire pressure, lube chain if it needs it and make sure my saddle bag is on there.

Drive or ride to trail.

Ride bike like I stole it.

Post ride:

Drink another 12+ oz of water.
    Eat/drink whatever the heck I want for first hour afterward.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Get out of bed, drink coffee, ****, get on bike, pedal, get off bike, jump in pool.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Pre-ride:
    Check screw torque all around the bike
    Check brakes, derailleurs, chain
    Check Suspension pressures
    Check Tire wear and pressures
    Fill Camelbak with ice water
    Check packing list for tools, med kit, etc

Post-ride:
    Couple or six beers
    Long, hot shower
    Stretching

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Pre ride- water

Post ride- IPA

Sometimes it's the other way around.

mtbr member
    Pre-ride is basic, make sure bike is ready to go, i'm usuallly good as far as nutrition/hydration goes but if not i'll snack and drink on the way.
    Ride.
    I like to sit on truck tailgate and drink a water or something and chill out going over how good it was or what i could have done better.
    Get home and clean up. If it's right usually a couple of nice cold beers for post ride recovery hydration carb loading...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    Pre-ride:
    Check screw torque all around the bike
    Check brakes, derailleurs, chain
    Check Suspension pressures
    Check Tire wear and pressures
    Fill Camelbak with ice water
    Check packing list for tools, med kit, etc
    Every ride??

mtbr member
    Preride: Pennywise, Misfits, Rancid...Drive Fast in opposite direction of commute

Post: Dead, Neil Young, Social D...55 in the 65 (Preferably left lane) in opposite direction of commute