Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What a year: my best rides of '05

3K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  dogonfr 
#1 ·
I think I got more biking in this year than any other (big thanks to the wife for making it possible). Here are the hilights roughly in chronologic order. Some will look familiar, others are new. Most are in the SLC, St. George, and Vegas area.

WINTER
1-3: Getting above the 'soup' on Skyline Drive. I always resort to this ride when breathing in the valleys becomes unhealthful.

4-5: Cruisin' Antelope Island- another winter-time fav.

continued...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Best of '05 Continued...

SPRING

I divided much of my time in the spring between northern Utah and Vegas as I was finishing up school.

1: The now famous Cowbow Trails. Probably my favorite ride in Vegas area. Yeah, even better than Bootleg in my book.

2: Don't get me wrong, BC is incredible, but after riding there 4-5 times a week for two years, I relish the riding at Cowboy Trails. BC was incredibly green this spring. With all of the volcanic rock and lush gardens, it looked like Hawaii in places.

3: Dropping into City Creek Canyon neer SLC during epic ride from Centerville to the Zoo.

4: Quick trip to Moab. The board is chuck-full of eye-popping pics of the place, so I'll include just one pic to prove I was there.

5: 1st trip to Vancouver. After being assured on the phone by Cove bikes that I would have no problem walking in and renting a shore-worthy rig, I show up and find out some rich a-hole had rented the whole fleet out for the week. Soooo, I ended up renting a baddly maintained Spec. Hardrock with a worthless fork. Still, I had fun hammering the fire roads at Fromme, the few black diamond trails I attempted about killed me though, the whole time longing for a real bike.

Cont...

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
More of the best of '05

SUMMER

1: Thunder Mountain. I wont bore you with subpar pictures of a well-photographed trail. What can I say, If you've ever been to Bryce Canyon, and dreamed "if only bikes were allowed", well, this is as close as it gets- so good that it feels illegal.

2: 4,500 foot climb up Farmington Canyon to Francis Peak. Still 10'+ drifts in July!

3,4,5: An epic ride to the Grand Canyon- a ride I'll never forget. (Full Report)

Cont...

Attachments

#6 ·
tk421onthemic said:
I think I got more biking in this year than any other (big thanks to the wife for making it possible). Here are the hilights roughly in chronologic order. Some will look familiar, others are new. Most are in the SLC, St. George, and Vegas area.

WINTER
1-3: Getting above the 'soup' on Skyline Drive. I always resort to this ride when breathing in the valleys becomes unhealthful.

4-5: Cruisin' Antelope Island- another winter-time fav.

continued...
Incredible pictures, looks like a great year...hope to see some more nice pics next december ;)

Hope I get to ride cool trails like that someday!

Thomas

#7 · (Edited)
More...

SUMMER CONTINUED

1-3: Exploring the Cottonwood Canyon area in the Grand Staircase-Escalante N.M. by bike. Good biking, but incredible hiking through slot canyons. Unfortunately, the unusual bright yellow slickrock is offlimits to bikes.

4: View of the Beaver Dam Mtns. This was a nice little 3200' climb up from Joshua Tree forests to pine forests on top with incredible views.

5: The other Thunder Mountain Trail at Brian Head. Being alone, I rode this as a loop. Starting near Parawon, up 2nd left hand canyon to the top of Sidney Peaks Road and up Sidney Peaks Trail to Brian Head Peak, then finally down Thunder Mountain. Let's see Parowan is at about 6000' and BH is over 11,000', yep, thats a vertical mile up and down while being chased by thunderstorms (of couse)- why do I torture myself?

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
More

SUMMER Cont...

1-2: Biking the Skyline National Trail high in the Tushars. (Full Report) I climbed to the 12,000' peak (by foot) to check out the incredible views.

3: This day I just got on a dirt road and started riding near Laverkin, UT. After some trial and error I made my way down to an atv trail that crossed the creek a dozen times until it peetered out. A good 20 miles out and back in uncharted territory.

4:Red mountain. A techy jeep road that climbs to the top of Snow Canyon.

FALL

5: Taking in some color near Navajo Lake. (Full Report)

continued-->

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
A little more...

FALL cont...

1: Another shot at Navajo Lake.

2-3: Back to where it all started for me. The benches and canyons near Erda, Utah. A lot of this area is being closed to motorized travel, so all of the old jeep & ATV trails are slowly reverting to singletrack!

WINTER

4: A cold ride near Coral Pink Sandunes. (Full Report)
5: Exploring trails near Enterprise, Utah. (Full Report)

Well, that about it. Can't wait to see what '06 brings!

Attachments

#14 ·
the last pic in the first set is quite stunning...the rest were quite amazing as well...i really like the shot of the frost on your leg
do mind if I use the last one of the first set? (I think i know the answer but i'll check anyway)
DMR
EDIT: Do you have a larger copy of that one...love it so inspiring

#15 ·
Crap!

DMR For Life said:
the last pic in the first set is quite stunning...the rest were quite amazing as well...i really like the shot of the frost on your leg
do mind if I use the last one of the first set? (I think i know the answer but i'll check anyway)
DMR
EDIT: Do you have a larger copy of that one...love it so inspiring
There are about 3 pics that I don't have the larger originals (lost in transfer from old to new computer) and that's one of them. Sorry! You, of course, are welcome to use the smaller one.

Trees are beautifully frosted when it gets foggy in the valleys. I was a little surprised, however when I looked down and saw my legs frosted! I need to get some full length tights.

#17 ·
icegeek said:
Very nice post, thanks. That'b da passion. Good quality pics too, were they self/timer shots? If so, you got it down.
Thanks.

Yeah, all pics with a rider are timer shots. Timer shots are frustrating- for every good shot, Ive got 2-3 ill-timed shots. On some rides it's worth the hassle. I just got tired of telling friends and family about incredible rides... now I don't have to, I can just show them.

#23 ·
tk421onthemic said:
FALL cont...

1: Another shot at Navajo Lake.

2-3: Back to where it all started for me. The benches and canyons near Erda, Utah. A lot of this area is being closed to motorized travel, so all of the old jeep & ATV trails are slowly reverting to singletrack!

WINTER

4: A cold ride near Coral Pink Sandunes.
5: Exploring trails near Enterprise, Utah.

Well, that about it. Can't wait to see what '06 brings!
beautiful!! you're lucky to live someplace with views like that.

rt

#25 ·
Can't beat the yellow marshmellows!

TORO1968 said:
Amazing pics... I'm diggin' the old-school Pro-Flex!
Well, those crystallized a long time ago but I still prefer my Pro-Flex over the Heckler on rides that have long steady climbs and non-technical decents. It was my main bike for 7 years, I don't think it has a single original part on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.