mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What would you do to get the money for it?

What would you do to get money for a new bike? I guess it can be multiple things or the same thing multiple times. But it canít be actual work. Like what I should be doing now! what would bike would it be?

Please keep it short! None of us want to read a story

My bike would be a Unit SS and I would eat stuff for money to get it, but some things cost more than others to eat.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RideOrDieDan
    But it can't be actual work.
    Then I can't help you.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Save 4 it

What would you do to get money for a new bike? I guess it can be multiple things or the same thing multiple times. But it can?t be actual work. Like what I should be doing now! what would bike would it be?.
    I just save for it , a little here a little there, and before you know it . it's enough for
    here's my bike stash, got 320+ soon to be transformed into a Banshee Scirocco Singlespeed trail bike. already got the wheels and brakes, headset, cog and cranks, fork all i need now is the frame. good to go. doesn't take long either and the wife doesn't need to know about the stash. (i know she does)

Being a graphic artist i barter my services with LBSs for bike stuff... if you consider doin' art as work, nevermind!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keepin' it real since '74
    You could always sell your body to lonely fat chicks.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

credit card?

get one with a 0% intro rate or similar and pay off as much as you can
    every month

What would you do to get money for a new bike? I guess it can be multiple things or the same thing multiple times. But it canít be actual work. Like what I should be doing now! what would bike would it be?

Please keep it short! None of us want to read a story

My bike would be a Unit SS and I would eat stuff for money to get it, but some things cost more than others to eat.

I Just Ride....

Good job!

I feel your pain, about wanting, needing, lusting, ahh... , for a new bike.
    I have enough right now for just the frame, and am going to wait and save.
    Although, any money I got from selling some of my photographs would go to the "bike fund".
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    im selling off stuff i dont use anymore, old stereo equipment, radio control cars that i was keeping as back ups for other rc cars i have, video game crap. id sell my cat if anyone wanted him hes cute and all but hes become a royal pain in my arse, he beats my dog up all the time and i cant sleep at night cause all i hear is the dog whinning and the cat screaming

Alright, let's ride!
    But it can't be actual work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Then I can't help you.
    I agree, thats the only way I have ever figured out to get the things that I want.

Yes, that's fonetic
    "
    But it canít be actual work. Like what I should be doing now! what would bike would it be?"

Huh?

"Please keep it short! None of us want to read a story "

But we all want to hear about your 'eating for money' scheme.

"My bike would be a Unit SS and I would eat stuff for money to get it, but some things cost more than others to eat.
    "

Guess you could try to get on "Fear Factor" and eat walrus placentas or something.

mtbr member
    I'm saving for a Blur, so I wrote a couple product reviews, and linked to them in my sig, with Google ads on the page. Everytime someone clicks on the ad, I get a couple cents closer to my savings goal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Option 1) Work and save

Option 2) Prostitution

If you're a male, odds are you'll get there much faster with option 1.

Not because I'm fast.....

You have to work, here is a tip

Lots of people like road bikes and road bike components from the past (10-20-30years ago). Hit the thrift stores, garage sales, swap meets and pick up as many inexpensive lugged steel road bikes as you can. Look for ones in good shape with recognizable brands. Clean and tune them up and sell them on Ebay. When living in SoCal I did this for two months and made about $1600 for my SS bike. A lot of the bikes you can pick up for $25 or less and depending on the brand, etc. can sell for up to $200 sometimes. It's work, but since I love bikes I got some enjoyment out of it too.

Penis Goat!
    The easiest thing is to work - why are you dead set against that? You're not too young, are you just lazy?

I like the saving idea. Put money in a jar, then put it in a savings account to earn some interest on the money.

Taking out a credit card is a stupid idea.

I've always disliked threads like this. What are you expecting, some magic way to get rich quickly? Just work and save your money like everybody else does! I don't really care if you can't afford a new bike now. Judging from your profile, you have a decent one already - so what's the story?

29 some of the time...
    man ho baby, only way to make a quick buck

I usually do a combination of
    1. Selling anything that I am not currently using
    2. Saving
    3. begging
    4. borrowing

Most of the time I get by on 1&2

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrash
    You could always sell your body to lonely fat chicks.

He said it can't be actual work!
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    dumpster diving

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Amen to that! I was awakened this morning to a call from a credit collection agency. Some poor dude that I share a name with is way overdue on his CC. I have to spend the next 20 minutes explaining/proving that I am NOT that guy. I have never even had a CC from that company. My guess is that they just did a people search on Yahoo and came up with my number. I will be checking my credit report to make sure that this "account" doesn't somehow migrate over to me. I know that the things are actually attatched to your SS#, but I have seen instances where a father and son with the same name got confused and things from both persons end up on one of their credit reports. This being a stranger would be a stretch, but I would rather be safe.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    The easiest thing is to work - why are you dead set against that? You're not too young, are you just lazy?

I like the saving idea. Put money in a jar, then put it in a savings account to earn some interest on the money.

I've always disliked threads like this. What are you expecting, some magic way to get rich quickly? Just work and save your money like everybody else does! I don't really care if you can't afford a new bike now. Judging from your profile, you have a decent one already - so what's the story?

its called a fun "what if". what would i do if i were rich? how could i get rich? etc. at least fun for some people. i get such a kick out of all the winers on this site. this thread doesn't belong here. i don't like this thread. my mommy stopped letting me breast feed at 5. bla bla bla. feel free to shut up and move on. ooh yea. save my pennies in a jar. almost as exciting as winning the lottery. i get so irritated at all the credit card applications in the mail. i say get as many credit cards as you can. then max them all out on the same day. leave town.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdonk
    its called a fun "what if". what would i do if i were rich? how could i get rich? etc. at least fun for some people. i get such a kick out of all the winers on this site. this thread doesn't belong here. i don't like this thread. my mommy stopped letting me breast feed at 5. bla bla bla. feel free to shut up and move on. ooh yea. save my pennies in a jar. almost as exciting as winning the lottery. i get so irritated at all the credit card applications in the mail. i say get as many credit cards as you can. then max them all out on the same day. leave town.
    yeah i think some people may have taken the OP's question too seriously.

on the less serious note: a friend of my sold his hair in brazil this winter. he had super long (middle of his back) and super straight blond hair. he got a pile of cash for it, but i think saving pennies might've been faster in the end. especially for the rogaine crowd.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Stripper!

$5 to take my clothes off...

$50 to put them back on!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

chill out and drink a beer!

Yeah this isn’t a serious thread. Sure I just sold my team scalpel and can pretty much buy whatever bike I want with that money, but the fun part was thinking of different ways to make money. You know like when you were a kid eating chips with ants on them for money to get candy or if you were a crack head trying to get money for drugs! Be creative!

I told my friend about the thread and he said he would get sprayed in the face with mace for $20 a shot until he got his bike paid off. Another said collect can and bottles at rest stops for the deposit return, while riding his bike to do it.

That’s the type stuff I was looking for. I have a job and a good one at that. Just wanted to have a story to go along with my SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    mace in the face. i think i'd rather eat some bugs or something. can't you still get money for giving blood at some places.