Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

what is sierra club's stance on wilderness?

sierra club sent me some memebership information trying to get me to send cash and plaster myself with their stickers. there was no mention in the information package about their position on wilderness designations. i'm not going to support any club that promotes expanding or adding wilderness areas until bikes are allowed in them. so do you have any idea what they think about wilderness?

thanks,
    head mcm#500

mtbr member

Sierra Club Bad

Yup they are all for wilderness designation....and all sorts of other really stupid stuff like banning fishing....I have a neighbor who is some kind of sierra club official. This guys views are off the chart and he has railed on me a couple of times about the evils of Mtn. Bikers in the wilderness….then he starts in about the evils of fishing. This guy has horses that he regularly rides into wilderness lands with other sierra club members (you may have seen what horses can do to the environment?)...but thats OK because "horses are native to North America and have been using these trails since before WE were here"...WTF????

From what I understand their stated goals boil down to excluding the general public from recreating in the wilderness....because we are too stupid and can not be trusted with this natural resource (wilderness lands).

But really....I don't have a strong opinion either way about the Sierra Club.....hehehehe
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Jm.
    mtbr member
    weren't horses introduced by the spanish 500 years ago?
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Samsonite Tester
    The 2-faced SC is asking MTB'ers to join their cause. What they are not saying is the Wilderness Bill they support will close the forrest to bikes. What they assume is a large number of voters will follow thier ( SC ) wishes and do no research of their own.

Seirrra Club does not recognize bikes as legitimate users. The bike club within SC is run by a total hoser, whom is hated venomhently from inside, who has nothing but a political future in mind. An a$$ who couldn't get elected to sanitation supervisor if he tried. Yet he created an organization within an organization to furtur himself and do nothing to sway the SC or even help promote the truth about the plan they support. Now thats 2-faced.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    weren't horses introduced by the spanish 500 years ago?
    A quick google search revealed this:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...1408.Zo.r.html

So really you are right. The horses people enjoy today are not native. I would also like to make a point that heritage and tradition aren't necessarily good things (slavery?).
    Lotusfinger

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    but thats OK because "horses are native to North America and have been using these trails since before WE were here"...WTF????
    No thats not true. They did not coexist with "these trails"
    Lotusfinger

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    in my opinion, which i'm sure no one really cares about, the sierra club is evil and bad for the environment. they, and other extremists, have driven reasonable people out of 'environmentalism'. they are so anti-bike and anti-motor and anti-multi-use and anti-being-reasonable that people like me, who have always considered themselves environmentalists, must oppose these crazed anti-access elitist extremists at every turn.

ironically, alot of these extremists live in big inefficient houses and drive volvos and other gas-guzzlers, and consume all manner of manufactured goods, and are generally much higher in impact on the planet than i am, even with my evil habits of mtn biking and motorcycling in addition to hiking, climbing and xc/backcountry skiing,

in my opinion, ALL new wilderness is bad until bicycles are allowed in (or skis, horses, tents, campstoves and synthetic boot soles are banned).

mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If all of the mountainbikers joined Sierra Club, we could change their policy on biking. Then we would have a truly powerful lobby.

mtbr member

Obviousley

you missed the sarcasm and the..... WTF?

I have no problem with horses and riders who are respectful of other trail users.....but you are correct they do not coexist well with Mtn Bikers and Hikers because they cr@p all over the trail and generally tear things up.

It was my neighbor that stated "horses are native to North America so they should be allowed anywhere" not I.

www.goapc.org

Jm.
    mtbr member

It was my neighbor that stated "horses are native to North America so they should be allowed anywhere" not I.
    Yeah, what a tool. You can tell him that horses are native to MONGOLIA....heh
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member

The Sierra Club is.........

The Sierra Club is a small group of people dedicated to keeping large groups of people from enjoying the wilderness.

I have no use for them.

mtbr member

Not!

We would just be helping them legitimize their agenda. The Sierra Club needs to be "called out" by all Mountain Bikers. The elected officials who support the Sierra Club need to be called out as well.....they are not hard to find....they are the ones with the "D" after their name. Sorry, but it's true...I am not railing against Dems here....it's just a fact....The sierra club uses these elected official to further their agenda....and they are rewarded by the sierra clubs nasty PR campaigns against the other side...The "R's"

The Sierra Club needs to be taken down along with any and all elected officials that blindly follow along with their policies in exchange for political favors.

www.goapc.org

Obviously

you missed the sarcasm and the..... WTF?

I have no problem with horses and riders who are respectful of other trail users.....but you are correct they do not coexist well with Mtn Bikers and Hikers because they cr@p all over the trail and generally tear things up.

your weak sarcasm was not missed. I never said YOU felt anyway or the other about horses. I was simply pointing out your neihbors error. Native horses never coexisted on "these trails" that we use today. Was it too simple of a stament?

And speaking of WTF, I didn't that they do not coexist well with Mtn Bikers and Hikers. But I will so now: Horses and their bloated self righteous owners are the worst! Maybe I should take a crap on the hood of their pick up, leave it there and see how they like it.
    Lotusfinger

mtbr member

Nice...

Well Put!

www.goapc.org

mtbr member

ever notice?

has anyone ever noticed that people with the sierra club stickers on their car always have an early 80's honda or toyota spewing smoke out their rusted out muffler going down the freeway around 45 mph?

Right Coast
    but thats OK because "horses are native to North America and have been using these trails since before WE were here"
    That's right! And all the Anglo-Saxons, Asians, Africans, Latinos can forget about using it too because they are not native to this country.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormShadow
    That's right! And all the Anglo-Saxons, Asians, Africans, Latinos can forget about using it too because they are not native to this country.
    word...

mtbr member

Stay away from those losers

Like others have said, they want to keep everyone but themselves out of the wilderness. They went on my enemies list when they campaigned against an initiative in Washington to ban commercial drift netting for salmon a few years ago. Since such bans are proven to help restore the wild fish runs it takes away from their "save the trees" message. And before anyone asks; no, I'm not against fishing. Fishing is one of my big hobbies.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr member

My Mom...

aunt, uncle, cousins are all horse owners and riders. None of them are Bloated? or self righteous......Thet are very respectful of other trail users...your weak generalizations make YOU seem pretty self righteous though.

Last year...as a joke....I gave my aunt a small shovel and gunny sack for a christmass present....called it an equine pooper scooper......she took me seriousley and carries it with her....cleans up after her horse....she says it freaks all the other riders out.

s

www.goapc.org

Custom User Title

If you like to ride DO NOT support the Sierra Club!

...and do not support these companies known to donate cash to the SC either. That's right, REI and Performance Bike! and they sell Mountain Bikes.

Book and Magazine Affiliates: AllBooks4less.com, Magazines.com, and TextbookX.com

Department Store Affiliates: Wal×Mart.com

Energy Conservation and Renewables Affiliates: Real Goods

Gourmet Affiliates: AKA Gourmet, Cooking.com, David's Cookies, Harry and David, Hickory Farms, Phaelzer Brothers, and RealBeer.com

Home & Garden Affiliates: Dutch Gardens, Florist.com, Gardeners Supply Company, Internet Florist, Jackson & Perkins, Mission Orchards, PetalXpress, and 1-800-Flowers

Music Affiliates: Sony Music Direct

Office and Technology Affiliates: Dell Computers, Buy.com, Fujitsu Computers, Handspring, Iomega, and OfficeMax

Software Affiliates: McAfee and ZoneAlarm Pro

Sports and Fitness Affiliates: Brigade Quartermasters, PerformanceBike.com, REI, Sierra Trading Post, and Undergear

Travel Affiliates: Hotwire, Orbitz, and Trip Network

mtbr member

Thank You!

for posting that list....it's printing and going on the fridge.

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    May 2004
    They are major catalysts behind the anti-suv movement. Just don't expect them to live by their own credo. They are well known for using all types of suvs; multipassenger vans, suburbans etc you name it.

They are closet commies, who needs em?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by head
    sierra club sent me some memebership information trying to get me to send cash and plaster myself with their stickers. there was no mention in the information package about their position on wilderness designations. i'm not going to support any club that promotes expanding or adding wilderness areas until bikes are allowed in them. so do you have any idea what they think about wilderness?

thanks,
    head mcm#500
    SEE BELOW: An excerpt; see the link if you want to see the whole page. Here's one thing that happens when you let mountain bikers into a trail system (from http://forum.sorba.org/viewtopic.php?t=613).

This is one of the main reasons other users do not bikers coming onto their trails.

If you follow SORBA's, and I'd wager other MTB org's web forums, this sort of thing happens ALL OF THE TIME. People, bikers - and you can take this personally if you want - I'd probably say the only ones who take it personally are the ones who are out there doing illicit "trail maintenance" - are responsible for digging up and rerouting trails.

Hikers do not do this. While I am not a horse person, I have not seen horse people modifying trails or rerouting trails as bikers do.

These are just facts and the biking community must deal with this in it wants the other users to consider allowing bikers on land that now does not permit biking.

I can tell you one thing: I don't want this type of problem coming to the wilderness areas I use....

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:39 pm Post subject: Trail Vandalism at Blankets Creek!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An unknown person has gone out and removed a large section of roots and rocks from the South Loop at Blankets Creek! The damage is going CW on the short rocky climb after the Switchbacks. An unkown person has removed all of the rocks and roots from the climb. This work was not done or authorized by SORBA Woodstock!!!!! Hopefully we will be able to get some pics of it tomorrow evening and post them. If you see anybody removing things like this from the trail, stop them immediately. The amount of damage done probobaly took at least an hour to complete as there are not even any holes of where the rocks were left. Now we will have to go spend time that we could be using to build new trails fixing the damage done here. This was done in the last 24 hours as it was all still there last night. If you ride out at Blankets Creek especially during the morning or time when there is nobody else out there keep an eye out for these people. This is probobaly not the first time they have done this and probobaly will not be the last. If you can't ride an obstacle, walk it!!!! Do not remove obstacles from the trail!!!

Tucker

TimC
    SORBA

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuck -

What a shame! I know you guys built the South Loop to be challenging, and it sucks that some gaper comes in and sanitizes it to his/her liking.
    Hope you catch 'em in the act!!

TomC
    Stump Jumper
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:58 am Post subject:

It could be anybody and not neccessarily a cyclist. The trails are in close proximity to neighborhoods and frequented by walkers / hikers. Regardless we all need to be wary.

All in favor of signage, say aye.

AYE!

murchman
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:12 am Post subject:

I have a feeling who ever did this is the same person/s that keep removing logs etc that prevent people from short cutting or cutting the tougher sections through the trail system at BC. I noticed most of the changes happen in AM or afternoon during the week when the trails have the least amount of traffic.

Duckman
    Stump Jumper
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:21 am Post subject:

That section Tucker speaks of woulda required a ton of effort. I can't believe someone wouldn't have ridden by during such. I ride there alot during the early parts of the day during the week , and will surely get on their ass if given the chance.

Jet
    Mountain Biker

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:14 am Post subject: I rode there yesterday am.

I rode both trails yesterday am ( from 8:30 to 10:30), both seemed fine, I don't remember seeing any thing missing and there was only 1 car in the parking lot other than mine (a Mom & her 6 year old boy). Where exactly is the section you're talking about? If it's back by the newly built houses I have seen several kids playing back there with out bikes. I doubt they would go to such trouble though. It's got to be a rider that obviously has got time on his hands and not much skill! Nothing out there was unrideable, maybe a little tuff for some folks but nothing extreme enough to take out.

BTW I really like the new singletrack on the Dwelling loop. Flows well and a hoot to ride on my single speed! Thanks Charlie, and gang

jav1231
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:23 am Post subject: Argh!

Yeah, this sounds more like someone wanting to make the trail, or that section, easier for themselves.

If you want to talk about vandalism, what about the broken glass that seems to show up regularly on the G'ville College trail.

Both are wrong and both serve no purpose than to tax someone else's time to fix it.

<>

msh1
    Training Wheel Tyke
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:25 am Post subject:

this pisses me off greatly, and I do understand your anger,

But posting a message on this board telling us not to vandalize the trail is like telling the pope not to be catholic.

If we want people to stop f23king with the trail then we've got to get the message out to THEM!! The only way to do that is to put some kind of sign up at the trailhead (large enough for people to actually notice)
    and most likely, smaller signs out on the trail.

Short of putting up video cameras or staging 24hour trail watch shifts, or fencing the whole damn place in, there's pretty much nothing we can do to stop trail vandalism.

word.

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:27 am Post subject:

The amount of damage done would have taken a single person with some sort of tool at least an hour to complete. We all need to be keeping an eye out for people doing things like that. Murchman is probobaly right, it probobaly the same person or group of people doing the damage every time.

Tucker

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:31 am Post subject:

msh1- This is not directed at you, the people on this forum are probobaly not the ones doing this. The point of posting here is to get the word out in hopes that somebody on the forum might ride by and catch them. Then again you never know if the person responsible might be somebody just reading the forum that hasn't registered.

Tucker

mountainman
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:39 pm Post subject:

I was out there yesterday with Jet and saw this. It definitely took a tool to remove the roots. The rock holes were filled back in with some dirt, but the roots were cut flush and still had their dirt outlining on the ground. Since it rained there Sunday night and MTBXC didn't see anything at 10:30 AM, it was done sometime between 10:30 AM to 7:30 PM yesterday.

That really sux because it was a great technical climb/descent.

I work to live...so I can live to ride.

Duckman
    Stump Jumper
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:01 pm Post subject:

Rode from 11am till 2pm there today ...and noticed a big pill of rocks off to the side of that rocky S turn just above that new logcrossing. Thats the spot, right? I was the 1st to lay tracks thru there today, as the trail was all washed away from last nights rain. Hard for me to see the immediate damage short of just knowing that section seems a whole lot easier now. Was looking for someone to yell at but to no avail tho.

Duck

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:10 pm Post subject:

Yep, that's the spot! All of those rocks and roots used to be in the trail. BTW, how was the mud out there today?

Tucker

Duckman
    Stump Jumper
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:18 pm Post subject:

Mud was fine on both the Dwelling and South loops. Even those switchbacks on the South were fine. Rained for like 10 seconds the whole day there. Didn't ride the Beginner deal, even tho I usually use it for a warmup and more distance. The right side gets the wettest by far. No bigass puddle there behind the $1 box, so thats a good sign.

1 suv when I got there. About 10 when I left. Several hikers tho. Saw Renee and her dogs. Thats always fun. heheh.

Lisa
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:37 pm Post subject: Sigh...

I wish these people would just go to the damn Silver Comet where they belong! Really, the trails are not that hard to begin with.

I'd like to revisit the idea of a sign that says "Those who remove rocks or roots or otherwise alter the trail will be shot on sight! No exceptions!"

I went running this morning before work and didn't see any cars in the parking lot from 6:45-7:30, but they could have come in from elsewhere. My vote is to make the trail even harder in that section.

Don't get mad, get even!

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:49 pm Post subject:

Last night the right side beginner loop was actually pretty dry. I think I'll go ride tonight if the weather holds out.

Tucker(fingers crossed)

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:59 pm Post subject:

I'm sure we'll put something in there, the downside is that part of the hill will probobaly have to be re-routed to keep the hill from washing away since there are no rocks there to hold it all together, people already slide throught that hill. Hopefully we can make something harder for that section. I hope in it all we can keep the log crossing that is right below it. It's getting to where we have to use the Dingo to bring in big enough rocks to keep people from moving them, this is getting rediculous.

Tucker

K2K
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:21 pm Post subject:

I have to agree with Lisa. Bench cut the whole section but not into the sidehill bench cut the trail itself and leave a 2-3 foot drop off. See if the Vandal fills in the drop with the removed rocks...

Why remove anything. Any less technical and the trail will be a Tsali clone... no gears no shox needed

K2K
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:23 pm Post subject:

PS if my old clydesdale ass can clean it how tech can it be... Climb Higher, Bomb Faster, Jump Further, crash harder.

mtbkr678
    Mountain Biker

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:08 pm Post subject: WTF?

This has gone far enough you are actually making physical threats of bodily harm on a public message board? I used to come here for laugh but you guys are starting to scare me now.

While I do not agree with unauthorized trail work make threats in this mannor goes beyond the land stewartship agreements provided by SORBA.

Maybe we should get the Sherif's dept involved so that no one gets injured. I will be forwarding these threats on to the local authorities and the corps.

Lisa
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:14 pm Post subject:

mtbkr678-
    I think you should get a sense of humor. Or do you know who is doing this and are covering for them?

TomC
    Stump Jumper
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:25 pm Post subject:

Awright everyone...calm down...take a deep breath...let's not read into anyting too seriously.

I was serious earlier about signage. If I have to I'll make it myself, go out, dig a post hole and set that sucker up:

ATTENTION! DO NOT REMOVE ROCKS or ROOTS FROM THE TRAIL!
    These trails have been designed for the purpose of...etc. etc. etc.

mtbkr678
    Mountain Biker

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:51 pm Post subject: not funny

Lisa when does responding to threats equate knowledge of who made changes to the trail? And if you think getting shot is funny maybe you should try it sometime.

I think the threats made on this board are pointless and crude and could end up causeing more problems than they fix. If a violent incident occurs at BC over the trail it will likley be shut down for everyone. Sorba does not own the land and cannot legally employ such techniques for enforcement.

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:06 pm Post subject:

I think we need to find out exactly what we can do if we catch the little punk and follow through with it. If we can prosecute them for vandalism then so be it. The Corp. of Engineers would prob. have to file the charges since it is their land though. As for mtbkr678, I suspect you would be a lot more angry if you had been one of the few volunteers that built that section in the first place and will now have to go build it again instead of riding or building new trail. I for one would love to find out who's doing this. I think we should go out there and watch them fix all of the damage they've done all by themselves. I think about 2:30 in the afternoon on a nice hot day this August would be a good time. We could just sit there and drink nice cold water in the shade while they work.

Tucker

msh1
    Training Wheel Tyke
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:10 pm Post subject:

It just came to me... has anyone considered that the person removing the obstacles and rocks may actually think "he" is helping? After all, assuming this person(s) are rookies or soccer mom's they may think that all those nasty rocks are in the way and could hurt someone.

It's a possibility.

For example, we had a technical multi-use trail at our college in NY and the local eco group went to do "trail maintenance" and removed every single log and rock in the trail.

What exactly will it take for us to put up signs on the trail? our own money? Donations? SORBA??

word

Duckman
    Stump Jumper

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:22 pm Post subject:

I kinda assumed that was the fact already. Many newish riders don't stop to think "why" a section is the way it is, and think they are doing something "good" for the trail when they sanitize a section like this. Misplaced as it is, mind you. With such a huge cross section of ridership that BC experiences, its just gonna happen. Just like all the skip marks I see there...constantly. Many actually think its cool to do, and perfectly acceptable technique. Scary, eh?

mtbkr678
    Mountain Biker

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:32 pm Post subject: Could be

Yeah I can see how that could happen especially in the sections where the rocks are in the trail and not on the sides where it looks like someone pilled stuff in the trail on purpose.

Last week in the section before the red dirt climb it looked like someone intentinally laid a dead pine in the trail in 2 places. You could see where the tree broke and was smashed by something. I moved them because they were too short to be made into crossing. I just hope I don't get shot next time. I always pull briars up to that look like they were placed over the trail on purpose too but I don't know if they qualify as "sticks".

SFPRSR
    Training Wheel Tyke
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:42 pm Post subject:

I agree that this has gone too far! Come on guys it is just a trail. If Sorba want to persue this they need to contact the Corps and see if Sorba can intercede on behalf of the Corps.
    I used to build bmx tracks when I was a young lad in the country side. Those were the good 'ol days. They would get modified by motorcycles and sometimes cars, yes I said cars. We would just rebuild it better than before. I hope that no one does anything to anyone even if you see them in the act. It will take restraint but it will ruin it for everyone as the Corps could close the trails.
    I think that Jeff(Duckman) and msh1 have a point. Alot of different people visit these trails everyday. You are going to have some people that think that they are helping?!

Jet
    Mountain Biker

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:33 pm Post subject:

All right now, everyone stop flaming each other. That is not the point of this post. Nobody is or should be accusing anyone. It's bad forum etiquette.

WE need to work TOGETHER find out who did this. I personally would like to see if it would be possible to press charges. This would probably be more trouble than it's worth though. My second suggestion is banishment from the trail. This should snowball to other trails by word of mouth. I think we can see how this would affect the party responsible.

My thoughts on the person or persons that did this are- Somebody that rides the trail regularly. Someone that has had trouble cleaning this climb. Someone that knows a little about maintenance. Someone that definitely wanted to make this section easier. The way the roots were taken out shows this. I took some pics this evening, but they didn't turn out real well cuz it was well after 8. Not enough light. This could not have been done by a newbie unless they were/are a hiker that does trail maintenance. They do similar work on hiking trails.

If the person thought they were helping, why take out roots and rocks on the advanced trail? This trail is designed to increase your riding skills. If you make a climb/descent easier, isn't that kind of self defeating?

We will rebuild it. We have the technology. Nahanahnhaanah. And it will be tougher. I am also going to start transplanting stuff into the shortcuts. If anyone wants to help that's fine with me. I'm running out of deadfall.

The big red climb? Is that the switchbacks? (we really need names for all these sections) There were two trees that fell about 15-20 ft from each other. One was made into a crossing the other was cut out, probably by Charlie. It had been suggested that we put a bridge across them both. There were also some trees that fell in the really tight and twisty section in the pines. I removed most of these. The only one I couldn't move I made into a rough crossing. The first rider over it clean was a woman. Quite impressive.

Here's a question that should prove some of my point.

At the 40-footer, (the first rock drop) where is the correct line if you DO NOT drop the ledge? I have a pic that I am going to forward to Tucker and I will have him post it tomorrow.

msh1
    Training Wheel Tyke
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:51 pm Post subject:

Press charges??? Banishment???

How do you propose to press charges against someone who may not know they are doing anything wrong?????

??????

hell, there aren't even any No Tresspassing signs on the property.

let's come back down to earth here.

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:13 pm Post subject:

Hey Jet, on the rock drop you speak of, for those that do not want to drop the ledge there is a kind of notch in the rock ~2-3 feet from the small end that is quite easy to roll down and is also the line of choice for riding up the rock. That line keeps you on the rock up and down instead of where many people(not pointing fingers here) have widened the trail by going around the rock completely. Will post the pic tomorrow morning.

On a separate note, if you are doing unauthorized work on land that isn't yours it's a pretty safe bet it's wrong.

Tucker

mountainman
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:25 pm Post subject:

Hey Tucker,

I think this is the reroute Charlie said we were going to do at the Sept work party. Maybe kick it up higher in the woods for the approach and straight line it after the drop and possibly ramp the creek!!

If so, we could fix the multipaths then.

As for signs, one of my good friend's dad owns Capital Signs. I can check with them on a discount.

Also, bummer I'm going to have to bail on the Thursday night ride, I have to pull an overnighter for work that night. I'll be out there Friday at noon!

murchman
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:45 pm Post subject:

Some of you take what is posted here way too seriously or literally. No one is going to shoot anyone or even hurt anyone. People are just upset that the trail is being changed without permission over and over again. As one of the people that helps fixe the trail when things are moved or removed I to am getting tired of it but no one is going to hurt anyone so calm down.

The is a place where people can vent their feelings about something we all have the same passion about, views will be different and words will fly but once you get everyone out on the trail its just jokes and laughs about how silly these post are.

mountainman
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:53 pm Post subject:

Hey Jeff,

As stated earlier, I have to bail on the Thursday ride, but...I still would like to watch your copy of Kranked 5!!!

PM me your phone number if you get a chance!

DVNT
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:09 am Post subject:

Quote:
    The is a place where people can vent their feelings about something we all have the same passion about, views will be different and words will fly but once you get everyone out on the trail its just jokes and laughs about how silly these post are.

Exactly! Another thing to keep in mind next time a thread like this comes up. It's not just SORBA members that lurk on this site. Park officials, land owners and others may check the trail pages every now and then to keep tabs on what we are up to.
    Not everybody is as passionate about cycling as some of us are and may take these "threats" seriously, no matter how ridiculous they may seem.

How would it look to a park official that is reading these threads that was considering letting Sorba build trails on it's land.....

Post responsibly.
    and peace out yo!

K2K
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:10 am Post subject:

Lighten up... did you not see the laffy guy at then end of the post. If in the land of the free and home of the brave-America you cannot rant about crap aimlessly then why be here... I guess I'll go to Cuba so I can Rant and be arrested without any action. Expressing frustration with fantasies of violence is older than dirt. Actually shooting someone is a different matter.

Mtbr are you afraid someone may be goaded into action by the forum words? Perhaps tv violence will have a bigger impact? Bugs Bunny is a rabble rouser too. But the daffy could take a shotgun blast to the face like no one's business... Any way sorry to rant aimlessly... isn't that the point of a forum. If it was journalism it would be published. Send these aimless words to whomever you like. Woodstock Police, Army CoE, GBI, FBI, CIA, NSA, Interpol... let em all come. I got some ruby ridge for them right here...

DVNT
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:39 am Post subject:

i'm with you on that and i think everyone on this planet should lighten up.

needless to say it doesn't mean that someone can't use it as ammunition to fuel their own agenda whatever that may be.

Off topic, this guy i work with, his fiance got a little angry at her neighbors for cutting their hedges and threatened to kill them while holding hedge trimmers (a deadly weapon???). Now she's got 14 months of prison left to serve for 2 counts of terroristic threats.

TomC
    Stump Jumper
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:40 am Post subject:

Awright everybody...super chill...please...

I think I speak for everyone when I say Blankets is our baby, and we love the place dearly. Naturally when a problem like this comes along we're upset about it, and we're likely to succumb to emotional responses rather than rational ones.

Yeah...we're angry, but let's exercise diplomacy and maturity when dealing with the problem, because if we fail in those respects, it will not bode well on the mtb community ("jeez - those mtber's are *ssholes! Let's go string wire across their trail!"). It's our responsibility to educate - not castigate (hey - I made a ryhme). My opinion is that pressing charges right off the bat is too extreme, because there's a lot to this situation that we just don't know. There are valid points/questions as to why this trail vandalism happened, but we just don't have the answers.

My action herein, as stated before, would be to post signage, and not just on the trail but at the trailhead/parking lot as well.

Secondly we should address just how we should behave if we encounter someone removing rocks and other stuff. Are you going to yell? Furrowed brows and angry confrontations are met with a similar mindset; the end result can sometimes be nothing - no resolution, and in worse cases fisticuffs.

We don't want that. We're better than that. We should take careful, diplomatic and deliberate steps towards addressing the situation. By doing so we will garnish and maintain more respect from the cycling and noncycling communities.

Jus' my two cents...again.

wrxbiker
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:17 am Post subject:

We rode both trails at 6:30 AM Saturday morning and it was fine. It must have happened a bit later, but by the time we left, there were quite a few people there.

Hardtail in Georgia
    Dirt Dawg
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:04 am Post subject:

The picture spoken of above. Where Jet's bike is located is the correct line, I piled up all of the deadfall you see in the upper-left of the picture on Wednesday morning to block where people are cutting through the woods there.

Tucker

Duckman
    Stump Jumper
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:35 am Post subject:

That fork looks familiar.

msh1
    Training Wheel Tyke
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:22 am Post subject:

I don't get it... where are all the missing roots and rocks?

Your original post said that someone "has removed all of the rocks and roots from the climb"

I still see roots and rocks...

Is this a picture of the section that was vandalized??????????????

SFPRSR
    Training Wheel Tyke
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:14 pm Post subject:

Lighten up!!!??? K2k you were the one talking about shooting someone. You need to go ride some more to get rid of that anger. I see that your post got removed. GOOD.

K2K
    Mountain Biker
    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:11 pm Post subject:

I am the "lightest" old fat guy you may ever encounter. If my previous tongue in cheek post was pulled well I guess the irony was lost on the moderator... Oh well.

I will holster my water pistol. And when I encounter the vandal I will educate them and entreat them with politically correct ecological arguments and perhaps even entice them with encouraging words to join a work party and see how it is done.

Ken

PS I will be thinking bad thoughts the entire time though

Well

aunt, uncle, cousins are all horse owners and riders. None of them are Bloated? or self righteous......Thet are very respectful of other trail users...your weak generalizations make YOU seem pretty self righteous though.

Last year...as a joke....I gave my aunt a small shovel and gunny sack for a christmass present....called it an equine pooper scooper......she took me seriousley and carries it with her....cleans up after her horse....she says it freaks all the other riders out.

s
    I guess I am a little self righteous. I am myself bloated too. So I guess my statments were hypocritical. And it was a very weak generalization, I'll admit. I usually try not to stereotype anybody. Must've been a dark hour for me. Hey, I don't even like talking about defecation, but there it is!

Congradulations on your exceptional family. How do they train their horses to not "cr@p all over the trail and generally tear things up." as you said. I guess your aunt has half of that figured out.
    Last edited by Lotusfinger; 07-29-2004 at 06:23 PM.
    Lotusfinger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by round00

If you follow SORBA's, and I'd wager other MTB org's web forums, this sort of thing happens ALL OF THE TIME. People, bikers - and you can take this personally if you want - I'd probably say the only ones who take it personally are the ones who are out there doing illicit "trail maintenance" - are responsible for digging up and rerouting trails.

Hikers do not do this.
    snip for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by round00
    These are just facts and the biking community must deal with this in it wants the other users to consider allowing bikers on land that now does not permit biking.
    Is the above quote your words?

If so why do you continue to push this as fact?

you continue to insist that no hiker would ever reroute a trail or remove an obstical. You're very mistaken if you believe that. and before you generalize me as a person who must be doing illegal trail "maintence", spend a little time on this board and find out what kind of MTBer/person I am.

done feeding the troll.
    b

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast