Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What is it with Roadies...

3K views 51 replies 40 participants last post by  rbart4506 
#1 ·
Although I don't know alot of "Roadies", in all my years of riding, I have only met two that weren't arrogant, rude, have nothing but distain for mountain bikes and, well you get the message. As for the six or so other road bikers I've met...see my description.
Anyways, the weather is finally breaking here. Yesterday, it was a realatively warm, sunny 45 degree day. I put on some warm clothes and hoped on my mountain bike for a nice relaxing 12 mile ride around the neighborhood. I saw people walking, kids throwing baseballs with their dads, a couple of skateboarders of early teen ages. With everyone of these people I approached, hello's and such were exchanged.
And then it happened, as I return home, standing beside my bike, a roadie comes cruising down the road, heading in the same direction as I was facing. No, I didn't hear him approaching from my behind. Before I realized it, he was about 50 or so yards down the road pedaling away. Then it hit me, this was the first person I had seen that day that didn't say "hi", "good day"...nothing. Anytime I see people when I'm riding, and especially cyclists, I always give a friendly wave and hello etc.
What's up with that attitude ???

#4 ·
I don't think it's roadie-specific.
I have met quite a few rude idiots on the trails. I think the disdain works both ways. Just as you have grouped all roadies as arrogant and hating mtb'ers a lot of mtb'ers feel the same about roadies.
It's simply not true. It all depends on the person. I probably ride more on the road than trails but consider myself an avid enthusiest of both. I wouldn't hesitate to stop and help someone on the road or trail and try to say hello to everyone I encounter (hikers, bikers, equestrians, etc).
I agree that there is a certain level of arrogance in the biking community but I don't think it's specific to one group.

#5 ·
Maybe theyre just jealous because theyre stuck on the road? I dont really pay attention to them, I only see them as Im driving to the trail. Although I do remember one encounter with a roadie. I was gearing up to go ride, slapped on the shin guards and I heard one of them giggle and say "Fukn kids..." I turned to him/her (a man with a bad case of gyno) and said "Go suck on Lances testicle, its lonely". Ill admit it was out of line but dont talk sh1t because Im putting on shin guards. Safety first ppl.

#6 ·
It's not a pleasure boat tour. There's no law or rule that says you have to wave to everyone. If I'm at mile 60 or so of a pretty climby ride, no-one is gonna be my best friend all of the sudden-like. It's about being in the zone. Cadence. Breathing. Heart rate.

That said, I generally do try to acknowledge my fellow cyclists, as well as puppies and small children, but if I'm on my road bike and I wave to another road cyclists who doesn't repond, does that make all roadies jerks or all roadies friendly?

#7 ·
I like all styles of cycling...

Right now I have two bikes, a road and a mountain bike. I enyoy myself anytime I'm on two wheels. Yea, I prefer to ride trials over road. And yes, I've even seen a few idiot mountain bikers...just without the attitude. You're probably right, some mtbr's are a**holes too.

#8 ·
nydave said:
And then it happened, as I return home, standing beside my bike, a roadie comes cruising down the road, heading in the same direction as I was facing. No, I didn't hear him approaching from my behind. Before I realized it, he was about 50 or so yards down the road pedaling away. Then it hit me, this was the first person I had seen that day that didn't say "hi", "good day"...nothing. Anytime I see people when I'm riding, and especially cyclists, I always give a friendly wave and hello etc.
I know the "attitude" of which you speak (not just roadies either) but I don't get it in this situation. You have your back to him and don't see him until he's passed you so I'm assuming you never even made eye contact? I live in a small, rural town and a friendly, wave-at-everyone neighborhood but I wouldn't wave or speak to someone I hadn't made eye contact with. So now you think he's got an attitude? That's a being a little over sensitive don't you think? It would be different if you had met the guy head on or were standing there watching his approach, spoke and got no response. But jeez, cut the guy some slack!

#9 ·
nydave said:
Although I don't know alot of "Roadies", in all my years of riding, I have only met two that weren't arrogant, rude, have nothing but distain for mountain bikes and, well you get the message. As for the six or so other road bikers I've met...see my description.
Anyways, the weather is finally breaking here. Yesterday, it was a realatively warm, sunny 45 degree day. I put on some warm clothes and hoped on my mountain bike for a nice relaxing 12 mile ride around the neighborhood. I saw people walking, kids throwing baseballs with their dads, a couple of skateboarders of early teen ages. With everyone of these people I approached, hello's and such were exchanged.
Stop it.

#10 ·
Singlespeedster said:
It's not a pleasure boat tour. There's no law or rule that says you have to wave to everyone. If I'm at mile 60 or so of a pretty climby ride, no-one is gonna be my best friend all of the sudden-like. It's about being in the zone. Cadence. Breathing. Heart rate.

That said, I generally do try to acknowledge my fellow cyclists, as well as puppies and small children, but if I'm on my road bike and I wave to another road cyclists who doesn't repond, does that make all roadies jerks or all roadies friendly?
Six. It took 6 whole posts for the magic "in the zone" words to come up. I think that's one of the lamest things I see on here or other bike forums about why people don't wave. Kind of like people who don't smoke on a regular basis but can't pick up a beer with without lighting up. Both stupid lame excuses in my book.

Personally, I don't care if they wave or don't and I don't think they're snobs or not based on whether they wave or not. Actually, if someone goes by and doesn't wave, I just don't think anymore about it at all. I have better things to do. I don't always wave at other bikers, either and I don't think I'm a snob in general.

What I don't get is why people are so offended if someone doing the same activity doesn't wave at them. Are you offended if someone in a car goes by when you are driving your car and doesn't wave? OK, maybe just the same brand of car? What about if you're at the gym - do you expect every other weightlifter to wave or acknowledge you in some manner? Yeah, I'm being a little facetious here, but the point is why is someone a snob if they don't wave at you... just because they're riding a road bike?

Sounds like you're more of the snob assuming he didn't wave just because he was on a road bike. Maybe the guy was just an ass in general. Probably won't wave to you when he passes you while he's riding his MTB either. Or driving his car. Or whatever.

I wish bicyclists (and MTBers specifically) would quit whining when another biker doesn't acknowledge them. OK - I'll stop whining now myeslf.

#11 ·
Well...

I too live in a small rural area. Let's turn it around, I'm cruising by another cyclist on my road bike, the other rider is on the side of a quiet flat section of road, taking a rest on his or her mountain bike, while passing I'd have at least given a wave or a quick "hi there". What's wrong about that or so hard to do ?
This was like the first day in weeks of snowy wintery weather that people have been able to do something "outside". And the aforementioned roadie seemed to be the only unsocial person of the day.
Okay, I'm a peaceable person, so I'll cut the guy some slack. But I bet if I was on my 04 Spechie Allez Comp in full road gear I'd have gotten a quick "hi there" or wave.

#16 ·
Seen it both

in mountain bikers and roadies.I can't help but get a little ticked when they start giving that elitest type attitude.I see it more so in the guys who know they are fast.They try to set themselves away from the rest of the crowd and by refusing to acknowledge another rider who has given them a wave or nod,it makes them feel good about themselves at the expense of others and that's just plain wrong.I'm presently doing double century rides so I've been spending a lot more time on the road bike and I see this more often on the road,but have experienced it on the trail too.But the road more so. You have to work at being friendly.

#17 · (Edited)
My experience differs...

I took up mtbing last March while my elbow was healing from 10+ years of rockclimbing.

I only had the funds to buy one type of bike, so I chose a mountain bike to visit remote places.

However, I do, on occasion, throw on some skinny slicks and ride on pavement for the mileage.

Almost without fail, the roadies and I usually exchange a wave or some form of greeting.

I was adjusting my seatpost once and, in the space of three minutes, I was offered help by two separate roadies.

Hell, I even waved at some kid on a bmx and he waved back. (He was quite surprised that some grown-up would acknowledge him.) I think my profound respect for the athleticism bmx riders have must have shown through.

Sometimes, of course, no form of greeting is exchanged. I know there were times when I didn't see them until it was too late for a quick wave. And there was this one time I was too winded to say anything because I was using alot of energy passing a roadie (the hill was steep enough that his 39 ring and my 32-15 combo made for a nice impromptu competition).

I wave at joggers but they don't seem to wave back. Still, I wave at them anyway...

Ironically, the only serious altercations I've experienced were mtb single track hogs who were less than courteous. Once, I even gave a guy an earful with the intent of starting a fist fight. Not my proudest moment; but I need to mention it to show that I am in no way a saint.

On this, my second year of mtb'ing, there is still a sense of new-ness to it all. And I believe it's that very lack of cynicism that makes it so damn fun. I make it a point to remind myself to see things in a way that makes it new and fresh. With this mindset, even rockclimbing is fun again (I have the enthusiasm of a newbie yet the skills of a veteran bad-ass!)

Bruce Lee said, "The conciousness of the self is the greatest hindrance to physical movement."

That same "conciousness of the self" can hinder having the kind of absolute fun we experienced as kids on the first day of summer vacation...

If others wave, then great; if not, that's okay because anyday you're doing what you love is a gift.

#18 ·
Most of the time when I'm on my road bike and encounter another rider they just stare at my bike. It might be a snobbish "gear check" but probably not. It's usually a gape of disbelief that anyone would ride such a POS.

#19 ·
skiahh said:
Six. It took 6 whole posts for the magic "in the zone" words to come up. I think that's one of the lamest things I see on here or other bike forums about why people don't wave.
OK - I'll stop whining now myeslf.
You have a lot of anger. You sem to be lashing out in every direction, at anything that moves.

Good luck with all that.

#20 ·
The smoking analogy doesn't work because alcohol impairs judgement and ultimately will power. The saying "go ugly early to beat the rush" does not take into account the lack of judgement alcohol causes to make that leap. Smoking is much the same as one may fight the urge to smoke but when their guard is let down by the alcohol anything can happen.

I could appreciate a roadie not being cordial if they are in the Zone. In the parking lot however it would be more enjoyable if they showed a little more humantiy to their fellow human beings.

This is a legal disclaimer: this is not a sweeping indictment of all raodies, only the ones who are arrogant, pompous and rude. Loosen up on the spandex, it is constricting your better judgement.

#21 ·
Come on--REALLY. It's the Velodrome guys that are butts.

They go round and round and round and dang near never wave at ANYbody!

gEEEEEEEEEEEz

But seriously--on the road around here (hill country TN) I wave at every vehicle. I get a LOT of waves back. I'm hoping that angst and mischief filled county boys---WON'T pitch a bottle or put a mirror on somebody who is friendly and doesn't spray their dogs.

Most of the cyclist I see around here--are ME.

#23 ·
I think a minority of roadies are snobs. I ride both on and off road and always wear my Giro Xen lid. On a few occasions I have met other roadies coming the opposite way with a mix of amusment and confusion across their faces when they see this amateur with, get this, a peak on his lid!! Then they realise that I'm actually on a top end race bike and only then do they think of acknowledging me.
Have to say though that most people on the road in my experience are very friendly. Strangely enough, it's the 'husband and wife' teams that rarely seem to wave. I wave anyway, to anyone, even livestock.

#24 ·
Biopacebob said:
If you ride a road bike your mtbing getz faster.
(Took me about 4 yrs to realize this)
Or maybe you just like going slow
Amen. I shaved something like 13 minutes off my time in the first race of our state XC series between last year and this one. The difference? Riding on the road.

As for waving. I waved and said hello to a kid on the front porch of his trailer out in the country last week on my roadie. I guess his shepherd mix interpreted that as "that metal thing wants to kill my friend" because he took off after me like a slavering bullet. Did I mention this was on a climb? I hit 25 going uphill trying to beat that dog. Let's hear it for adrenal glands.

I'm going to get suited up for a road ride now.

#25 ·
Just keep smilin'

I ride the road quite a bit and have also experienced this phenomenon. The best thing to do is just keep smilin', wave, say hello, whatever you do. Some people just do not like to acknowledge others. Big deal.

BTW - I wave at everyone when I am on two wheels and sometimes when in four. The best reactions are waving at the moped riders when you pass them or catching a roadie and passing them on a mountainbike.Too cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.