Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What is the right way to clear this?

Ok I had to use the smilies since I do not know how to post a drawn picture. So there is a log triangle on the trails that I ride and it looks like this. I think if i just ride it over my big ring on my crank will get caught up on the top log. Its about 3 feet high. And its in the middle of some single track. It is really stap so i dont think jumping it is an option. What is the correct way to ride over something like this?

.................................. .

made in Oregon
    that is why they make bash guards
    nathan
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

paintbucket
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Use momentum to get as far as you can, then rachet the cranks back and forth 1/4 rev or so to get over.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Very cool website...

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I know some beginners who could use this info
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    I know some beginners who could use this info
    Thank Drevil.

Glad to Be Alive
    learn to bunny hop...
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    Ok I had to use the smilies since I do not know how to post a drawn picture. So there is a log triangle on the trails that I ride and it looks like this. I think if i just ride it over my big ring on my crank will get caught up on the top log. Its about 3 feet high. And its in the middle of some single track. It is really stap so i dont think jumping it is an option. What is the correct way to ride over something like this?
    Unweight your front fork and/or do a wheelie right as you're about to hit the logs, so your front wheel ends up on top of the pile. "Buck" the rear end and shift your weight forward while letting your momentum carry you over to the other side. Let momentum and gravity do as much of the work as possible.

mtbr member
    The coolest way to do it would be to endo when your front tire is at the very top, pivot off that tire into a 180, land on your back wheel (on the other side of the obsticle) then pop another 180 to get yourself pointed in the right direction, and pedal away. Smoooooth.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    The coolest way to do it would be to endo when your front tire is at the very top, pivot off that tire into a 180, land on your back wheel (on the other side of the obsticle) then pop another 180 to get yourself pointed in the right direction, and pedal away. Smoooooth.
    I can do that! I just choose not to...

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    I have yet to master the rubber down landing. But I rule at the crash and burn. My goal is to crush the obstacle into submission. i am still learning the great rock crush...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here's a good video on doing a log hop.
    http://www.adksportsfitness.com/apri...lumns/mtb.html
    You know, if you were really brave, you could try jumping the thing

i worship Mr T

carefully

[SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I always bleed like this.
    Carefully? No No No, that is how to porcupines get their freak on.
    You build up some speed, then a little more, lift the front tire so it kinda almost goes all the way over the log and then you SLAM the big ring into the log. Now you really need to get in in there, like stuck in there, then you drive through. Your big chainring will act like a chainsaw blade and you cut your way right through. That's why you see all these logs chewed down to bits all over the trail. Everybody does it this way. Those bunny hopping geeks are too cool for school. Us regular guys don't have time to show off.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    You build up some speed, then a little more, lift the front tire so it kinda almost goes all the way over the log and then you SLAM the big ring into the log. Now you really need to get in in there, like stuck in there, then you drive through. Your big chainring will act like a chainsaw blade and you cut your way right through.
    That reminds me of how I tell people to learn to bunny hop: Go straight at the curb just as fast as you can and, at the last second, hop. Repeat as necessary.

unlimited possibilities

can it be done as illustrated by http://tuktok.com/loghop/ except do a 360 while in the air, ???

you would probably have to start rotating before lift-off...

when i was a kid freestyle was the coolest thing to do on a bike... thankfully, things have changed for the better. hahaha...
    semper ad excelsum

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    Carefully? No No No, that is how to porcupines get their freak on.
    You build up some speed, then a little more, lift the front tire so it kinda almost goes all the way over the log and then you SLAM the big ring into the log. Now you really need to get in in there, like stuck in there, then you drive through. Your big chainring will act like a chainsaw blade and you cut your way right through. That's why you see all these logs chewed down to bits all over the trail. Everybody does it this way. Those bunny hopping geeks are too cool for school. Us regular guys don't have time to show off.
    My technique works pretty much the same, but at that point when you need to commit to rolling down the backside, instead I prefer to have a moment of grave doubt, unclip my right foot and kind of jump down and to the right, so I end up standing with one foot on the ground and the rest of my bike way up in the air with my left foot still in and my left hand still on the bar. It's actually trickier than riding it out, which exactly why I do it. Because I'm so damn tricky.
    We all get it in the end.

Am I getting too bulky?
    Three feet of log pile is a pretty good pile. Depending on how steep it is, and how wide the trail is, you might want to try going at the pile at an angle rather than straight up and over. Attacking the pile at an angle will decrease the effective steepness and make it easier to deal with riding the ring over the top. A right to left attack angle is preferable for better crank ratcheting clearance. Oh, and believe it or not, doing piles like that on a riged bike is way easier than on a bike with suspension.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    ...Attacking the pile at an angle will decrease the effective steepness and make it easier to deal with riding the ring over the top...
    This has not been my experience. I have the best results whenever I go as perpendicular to the log as possible. Whenever I go at an angle, my tires seem to slide sideways, I lose traction, then I end up stalling.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

life is a barrel o'fun
    The humane thing to do would be to affix a tiny helmet to the smiley face on top. Otherwise he'll be screaming in terror and bleeding all over your chainrings.

We don't get many smiley piles around here, but I'm pretty sure that would be the technique.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    u asked the right way to clear it-----2 ways--1) ask a trail sanitizer 2) dismount and walk.
    I prefer option 2

u also asked the right way to ride over it---these ways have already been mentioned. I'll just stick with clearing it by using method 2 above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    The humane thing to do would be to affix a tiny helmet to the smiley face on top. Otherwise he'll be screaming in terror and bleeding all over your chainrings.

We don't get many smiley piles around here, but I'm pretty sure that would be the technique.
    We actually have quite a few smiley piles around here and I've found that you can just ride straight through them. They'll regroup and still be happy.

But for a log pile, just walk it. It can't be fun enough to need to replace your chainring.

pain don't hurt

the art of deception

I've found that it helps to get off the bike, and "walk" it back and forth across the pile to get a feel for how the bike will move over it, and at which point the bike will start falling down the other side. Also you can determine at which point you will inevitably go over the bars, and be prepared for that moment by shrieking like a prepubescent girl.

This also helps you look intellectual (the test part, not the shrieking part), like you're really studying the "proper" technique and understanding the true physics of clearing log/smiley piles. After you're done walking the bike across, you can just get on the bike and ride off without actually riding over it. It's a great way to fool onlookers into thinking that you're not really walking over it at all.

Flowtronic engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Unweight your front fork and/or do a wheelie right as you're about to hit the logs, so your front wheel ends up on top of the pile. "Buck" the rear end and shift your weight forward while letting your momentum carry you over to the other side. Let momentum and gravity do as much of the work as possible.
    This is pretty close, but instead of shifting your weight forward (which could cause endo) you want to push your bike out in front of you while you get back behind your seat as far as possible. If you don't feel comfortable with a wheelie move, you can get back on the bike, push your fork into the pile, it will compress and pop you a bit as your momentum carries you up and over, then push your front wheel out, get way back and ride it out. Hit it straight on, if you go at an angle the chances of you slipping increase massively, especially if its ever wet.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Like so...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast