Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I also ran an Onza Buzzsaw 22t inner chainring.

Onza was headquartered in Santa Monica, CA and I drove right past their warehouse on the way home from work. I stopped in a few times to have them look at my pedals (didn't help) but I always walked out with tons of stickers. I still have about 30 Onza Porcupine stickers in a shoebox. Classics?
    classics...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Irc kujo tires

Trail Ninja
    Pretty much all my low budget and money is no object purchases. Knee pads, tires, drivetrain, wheels, stems, handlebars, helmets, apparel, you name it... Sticking to mainstream price points, though that includes second-hand high end parts dropping down to these price points.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Irc Mythos and other tires that I did not enjoy riding. I've cut and patched many tires, but some didn't even last one ride.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Irc Mythos and other tires that I did not enjoy riding. I've cut and patched many tires, but some didn't even last one ride.
    IRC Mythos tires...I had forgotten about my experience with those. I have never had more flats than I did with those tires. Also the only tires I started ripping knobs off of before they were worn. And back then I didn't ride anything rocky. Just hardpack clay with some roots. Terrible tires.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    IRC Mythos tires...I had forgotten about my experience with those. I have never had more flats than I did with those tires. Also the only tires I started ripping knobs off of before they were worn. And back then I didn't ride anything rocky. Just hardpack clay with some roots. Terrible tires.
    I was a newb when I bought these and I installed them before my first race. It was on hardpack and I would drift across the entire corner. The tire could not find traction. It was a predictable drift. Luckily I held it together and finished without a crash, but I just didn't trust the tires. I still have them and they look brand new.

Renegades super light and fragile tires. I knew it was a matter of time before I cut it.

Specialized Fast Trak - cut it and hated the grip on the old version. I patched it 2-3 times over a winter.

I've also purchased a seat that was awful. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

the half breed devil
    oh yeah...whatever the green sidewall GEAX tires were in the late nineties/early 00's. i can't remember what they were called but they...were...AWFUL!

all i can remember is that the treads were shaped like paddles and were useless even on hard packed fire roads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I had some Tioga Psycho tires that looked great but had zero grip. And the knobs would just rip out of the casing! The only time I've ever seen that. I ran the IRC Mythos too, but they were much better than the Psychos!

Trail Connoisseur
    Early 2000s Manitou fork, 2013 avid disc brakes, and anything with the letters XTR on them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Early 2000s Manitou fork, 2013 avid disc brakes, and anything with the letters XTR on them.
    $200 XTR cassette vs $50 XT cassette is a hard sell but XTR shifters feel noticeably better and are BARELY more expensive... I usually do XT chain/cassette/crank, XTR derailleur/shifter/brakes. I don't NEED the derailleur/brakes to be XTR but it's nice and certainly easier to sell your bike when that time comes around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Early 2000s Manitou fork
    I had a fork of theirs in that era, kept blowing the seals out the top. I think it had 4 rides before they refunded my money.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

since 4/10/2009
    Nothing xtr would count as a mistake on any bikes in my house.

I also prefer high end shifters. Currently I have xx shifter and x9 rear derailleur. Also good. XTR brakes have been great on my bike. My wife has full XTR drivetrain and brakes. Expensive, but it works.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Nothing xtr would count as a mistake on any bikes in my house.

I also prefer high end shifters. Currently I have xx shifter and x9 rear derailleur. Also good. XTR brakes have been great on my bike. My wife has full XTR drivetrain and brakes. Expensive, but it works.
    It's not that I don't think XTR works well, it's that I'm not a pro racer with unlimited funds. I do ride hard and I break stuff. XT and SLX seem to be a little heavier but also a little more robust.

mtbr member
    Kettle carbon rotors. Enough said.

gbnemba.org
    My first 29'er was a Jamis Exile with track ends and derailleur adaptor. Great riding bike overall, and it was a cheap way to get a parts kit that I moved to the next bike.

I ran it geared and had an ongoing battle with rear wheel alignment until I finally said screw it and got a great deal on a Niner EMD frame with a real geared dropout. I broke even on selling the Exile frame and buying the EMD!

mtbr member

Crankbrothers pedals

Thought that Crankbrothers pedals were awesome because of easy in and out when learning to ride off road. After the first new pair failed in 3 months I continued to rebuild and buy new Eggbeaters and then rebuild, rebuild, rebuild, get stranded, rebuild, get stranded, rebuild, rebuild, buy the "newer" model, rebuild, get stranded, and that continued for several years until they denied warranty on a pair of Candy pedals with 125 miles on them.

Shimano XT pedals. No rebuilds. No stranded rides. No worries for years since.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Bought an awesome 26" bike half a year before 650b became the norm. Now many better tires and wheels are not made. And the bike is too good to replace.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    V
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy88 View Post
    Thought that Crankbrothers pedals were awesome because of easy in and out when learning to ride off road. After the first new pair failed in 3 months I continued to rebuild and buy new Eggbeaters and then rebuild, rebuild, rebuild, get stranded, rebuild, get stranded, rebuild, rebuild, buy the "newer" model, rebuild, get stranded, and that continued for several years until they denied warranty on a pair of Candy pedals with 125 miles on them.

I bought TIME ATAC aluminum pedals in 2000'. Rode them until 2008' without issue. Pulled them off and put them in the garage for back up pedals. Bought TIME ATAC Titan XS carbon titanium pedals. Have used them since 2008' and still haven't pulled them off for any maintenance or repair.

I'm guessing that when the world ends the only thing left behind will be cockroaches and TIME ATAC pedals.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy88 View Post

Yeah, but now you are missing out on all that awesome Crank Bros customer service.

mtbr member
    One regret:

1) Not keeping my original mountain bike - Diamond Back Ascent EX.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Bought an awesome 26" bike half a year before 650b became the norm. Now many better tires and wheels are not made. And the bike is too good to replace.

Funny I converted my bike to 650b and regret it. The difference is minimal and the tire selection blows.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Funny I converted my bike to 650b and regret it. The difference is minimal and the tire selection blows.
    I know the difference is minimal. But I would have rather had the new standard one. All new tires and rims come in 27.5 now.

mtbr member
    There is a lot more tires available still in 26" than 27.5 and cheaper. I just feel it was a waste of money to upgrade when its hardly a upgrade at all. Then again I have also have a 29'er so the rollover advantage of the 27.5 is laughable at best.

mtbr member
    Michelin Wild Race'R TS 2.25 tire on Stans no-tubes rims... Next to impossible to get on o_0
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

LCW
    mtbr member

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Tires... I buy too many of them... Most of them barely ridden... I like trying different ones... Plus I'm thinking I need to hoard 26" tires before they go they way of the Dodo... I have a problem... Lol

EVIL Following

Surly Wednesday

Hello
    I bought a used trek fuel full suspension bicycle locally. I was assured by the seller, bike is good condition and "everything works". Well...I had a headset that loosened frequently and tightening it just caused the steering to get hard to turn.

I bought a used Ibis Mojo from the internet, assured everything works. Well, fox rear shock is leaking larger amount of oil, noisy ticking drivetrain caused by sand in the rear wheel pawls. scratched rear shock, scratched front shock stanchion.

This time around, I'm just buying new.Doesn't pay to be a cheapskate anymore.

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well buying used on the internet is dicey. I always factor in costs for new parts, like the worn headset you mentioned, into the price negotiation when buying used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Cheap mistakes- discount bladder for my camelbak.1st ride- What is dripping on my butt?

Expensive-Living X mail order bike. Magazines loved it,beautiful in pics, light weight. Handling so sketchy felt like I would crash in the parking lot. 1st minor fall- dented top tube. Thankfully stolen when only 6 mo old. Replaced with late 90s Stumpy M2.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by bbpathfinder View Post
    Cheap mistakes- discount bladder for my camelbak.1st ride- What is dripping on my butt?
    Ha, I've had that one too. Although not so bad for a hot day until you need a drink.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    My main MTB purchasing mistake was not buying a mountain bike 'til I was 41yrs old.

If I had to start over, I would spend more at the outset for higher end components.
    Three years ago, I bought a 2012 Trek Cobia that I've ended up replacing the shifters and derailleurs on, and recently bought a Reba RL fork for. Not counting other upgrades, that basically gave me the X-Caliber that I could have had all along for 1/3 the difference in cost of buying better components after the fact.
    'Course at the time, even the Cobia was way over my initial budget, since I had no idea mountain bikes cost so much. I went in thinking $600 would get me a really nice one!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought a dropper post via ebay not being able to find out much info on what size is needed my for height and bike, I unfortunately purchased a 125mm dropper when I should have got a 100mm.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Made no buying mistakes, due to MTBR being so detailed about every bike component ever made. Woot...
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

mtbr member
    Hanebrink, AKA: Hanebroke fork. Worst purchase in my entire life!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I tried clipless pedals a decade ago and never quite got the hang of them. Gave it a second shot a few months ago since I know there have been design improvements but after a few near misses--and a fall on the asphalt after a ride when my front tire hit some sand--I am back to flats and five tens for good.

mtbr member
    My trips to my LBS recently left me questioning my own intelligence:

Trip 1:Bought new brakes.
    Trip 2: Forgot to get adaptor for the front.
    Trip 3: Bought wrong front adapter
    Trip 4: Need adaptor for the rear as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Wrong size norco range entry spec

Spent a year upgrading shitty components and fortunatelly sold it out

Yep, that was my firts full susp, yep i visited 4 time bike parks for weeks;

However worst bike experience, all compopents were junk; upgrading cost me same price as a new bike + wrong size blocks my progress on techical stuff;

Shitty bike consultant;
    Also it it better to buy top spec from the beginind to spent more time riding rather than waiting for upgrate

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My biggest mistake was thinking I knew enough about bikes to make all my decisions by researching online. After going through 4 bikes in less than a year I started visiting local bike shops. Most of them were very honest and let me ride different models. I finally decided on one and never looked back. My LBS even let me swap parts and try them without paying. I just brought him the money after making a decision. Great shop.

Trail Ninja
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph EVO SS... fast, but so unreliable. Oddly enough, I got about 1/2 through its tread on the rear of my ROS9 (singlespeed) on the latest, but they didn't last very long on my Air 9 RDO or FS bikes (SB95 and Superfly 100/FS).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hutchinson Python 29er tires... These were the worst tires I've ever ridden. A complete pain to mount. Fast while completely upright going straight is the only thing they do, oh and they were tubeless. At the time these were one of the only widely available tubeless 29er tires. This was also when 29ers were mostly XC race bikes.

Salsa Mamasita. XC race type 29er with terrible (IMO) geometry with an 80mm fork. I almost hated 29ers forever between this bike and the tire above together. Steep head angle, and super long stays with no clearance for big tires on wide rims. I was way ahead of the curve on wide rims and tubeless tires. I hindsight, I might have liked it more if I would have tried 100mm or even 120mm travel up front.

XC racer stuff in general. I like bibs but 56-60cm bars, 110mm+ long stems, ultra light foam grips that slide off while riding and kill your hands, super light/low knob tires/thin tires, bar ends, and tiny pedals clipless pedals. I still ride SPDs but trail pedals with more pedal.

Trail Ninja
    In general, not recognizing mfg defects and just trying to use the product thinking it's just me and not the product, fooling myself that since there's so many other good reviews, it can't be the product being bad...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    A mistake but I honestly don't really regret it much at all. 2003 Klein Palomino size M, purchased last year. I need a large or bigger frame (at least the seat tube angle helps me).

Came with avid elixir R brakes (previous owner "up" graded from the V brakes- the rims still have a slightly worn brake surface). They were okay before the front one "needed a re-bleed" (quoting my coworker with hydro brake experience. fyi I'm a mechanic but where I work there's been exactly 1 person requesting a re bleed in the past 5 years-I wasn't experienced with them). I spent $50 something+ on a universal bleed kit and needed to buy fluid separately. I re-bled the front brake probably like 5 times and nothing would work. I had both a co worker (with hydro experience) and the mechanic that trained him both say that it was a bleed problem, I should do it again. Gave up and upgraded to SLX. Turned out that a seal broke in the lever and that I wasted 3 days and $80 at that point trying to fix ultimately pretty crap brakes. Oh well I did a failure analysis of the lever for an engineering course and replaced the seal in the process of doing that. I still prefer the SLX.

Leaky rear shock. At least it gets temporarily fixed by taking it apart and re greasing it (gotten pretty quick at this now). Proprietary shock also means there's basically no availability for what I need-a new seal and wiper. Also too cheap for that pretty much anyways.

Almost considering going 1x just because of how shit the front shifting is. Leaky shock makes shifting even worse (I know this sounds dumb but it's definitely true).

Honestly though, you'd be hard pressed to do better than my palomino for what I paid for it. Just wish the original owner got the lower link upgrade because these bushings are shit.

I'm treating myself to a new bike that actually fits when I graduate. Klein will hold out until then. For the $375 I paid for it it's actually a pretty great bike (and it will fit my GF once I get a new one).

Ultimately I'm just too cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Hanebrink, AKA: Hanebroke fork. Worst purchase in my entire life!
    Hanebrink, good to absorb exactly one bump.

On a similar note I had a Rockshox Judy way back. It was actually better when I got annoyed and ripped the 'compression' part of the 'damper' out and threw it away. Rebound + oil + stiction made a very comfortable fork in the end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    And bad mistakes, I've made a few. Some that come to mind: Spandex shorts Girvin Flexstem just kept breaking them (on warranty) and a joke when compared to 'real' suspension. Nukeproof rear hubs ( the OG ones ); got 3 warrantied for the center separating from the flanges but tired of building wheels. I produced a lot more torque in those days!

mtbr member
    First and last Weight Weanie project 1990. Some people just weren't meant to ride the lightest stuff available.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Bright colored yellow (fluro) vest! WTF was I thinking!?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -=snifff!!=- What's that you say?
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567