Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Quote Originally Posted by ojelijb View Post
    I bought a nice Easton Haven 50mm stem, it was so Bling-bling!
    oops it was meant for a 1.5" diameter fork not 1 1/8" that is on my bike.
    Doesn't everyone have an orphan 1.5" stem on their bench?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Right now in regretting a rockshox monarch Im sending back for the second time and its getting replaced. Put my old shock on and it's once again the beast it's meant to be :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member

X3

Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    X2, I can completely relate.
    Clip This !

Yes that's my foot stuck in my Clipless pedals, yes that's my Rockhopper 29 Comp, yes that's trees, yes that's the sky above and yes I'm on my way down into a rock strewn gully I now call the Witch's Crack in Sycamore Canyon California. My bike was tossed into a grass bank, I landed on the rocks below on my Hydration pack and my helmet. Both the bike and I escaped without a scratch. Cause: Stalled at the top of my pedal stoke couldn't unclip. Effect: Next ride Spike Spanks & Five Tens.

Clipless = Road Bikes (don't be fooled) Who clips in in Red Bull Rampage ? Anyone ?

Hank
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ergon grips
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    Clipless = Road Bikes (don't be fooled) Who clips in in Red Bull Rampage ? Anyone ?
    Who ran flats at the DH world's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Who ran flats at the DH world's?
    I'm really not sure about either but I wish someone at that level would comment about the use of either clips and plats.

Thanks,

Hank

mtbr member
    mistakes in no particular order - avid brakes, spank spike pedals, fox rp23
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Buying a bike that was obviously too big for me because it was on clearance. I should have just spent the extra money up front on a not-on-sale bike that fit as I've now spent way more than I would have swapping frames and a multitude of other components.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    mistakes in no particular order - avid brakes, spank spike pedals, fox rp23
    I have them and like them. What don't you like about them (other than the price)

Hank

mtbr member
    Buying some Bos suspension.

I've had companies send me the wrong stuff before, I've never had a company be actively hostile to me for daring to point it out, nor have I ever been told that if I want the right parts I'll have to buy them again full price.

Expensive way to find out just how true the rude Frenchman stereotype is...

On the flip side, Magura saved the day! Thanks Germans (and Si of Magura UK)!

My biggest mtb purchasing mistake was buying crappy saddles in the past. Hurt like hell. I don't remember what they were...just that they came from the shop's bargain bin for like $9.99 or something. Owww.

I've been buying decent saddles lately, so my butt has been pretty happy.

My biggest bike purchasing mistake was the last commuter frame I bought. On-One Pompetamine. Cool idea, but the rear dropouts/disc tabs are finicky SOB's. I spent more time fiddling with them and trying to get the brake caliper aligned with the rotor than I actually did riding it. It spent most of this summer on the workstand. I'm replacing it with a Salsa Vaya, which I hope works out better for me and is a long term bike.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

I'm really not sure about either but I wish someone at that level would comment about the use of either clips and plats.

Thanks,

Hank
    They mention it in the commentary.
    I think it was Sam Blenkinsop running flats and almost everyone else running clipless.

mtbr member
    I have them and like them. What don't you like about them (other than the price)

Hank
    spanks - went thru 2 bearing kits in a few months in great hero dirt conditions w/zero strikes. i really love the platform but did not like the bearing problems. user error? bad batch? bad luck? maybe but didn't want to hang out. spesh bennies at half the price instead w/straitline pins. would try spanks again though cuz platform size/thickness is great.

rp23- for a used enduro frame(spesh oem new take off) to replace an rp2. did not like the compression tune and lack off mid stroke support even with volume tweak. weak on grip(got spoiled on ccdb coil) considered push but fortunately rode a rs monarch plus pushed and never looked back. great aftermarket shock on ANYTHING.

avid brake- just personally comparing them to shimano on bite, modulation and ease of bleed for me is why i switched. have tried the new trail brakes but still give the nod to shimano zee.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

My 2014 hardrock. Why did I not just spend the extra $80 and get the disc version.
    Then again, everyone on this forum probably frowns upon me for not buying used for first bike...instead, I got entry lvl!

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Stupid seat bag -- Girreaux, or something like that. What a piece of s---. Even properly secured (and this is no mean feat figuring THIS out from the crappy instructions), it bounces loose from the saddle, because the main strap only secures the last 1/5th of the sack, and soon it swings beneath the saddle like a single bloated testicle, until momentum breaks the strap completely free, and then it's simply life-threatening.

I've suffered with this f*cker for two months. Well, that's not exactly true: quit using it after the 3rd ride, but recently had a flat and of course my tube and tools were 23 miles away, in this piece of sh*t seat bag in my garage, so went back to using it.

Tomorrow I'm buying a camel-back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    My biggest mtb purchasing mistake was buying crappy saddles in the past. Hurt like hell. I don't remember what they were...just that they came from the shop's bargain bin for like $9.99 or something. Owww.

I've been buying decent saddles lately, so my butt has been pretty happy.
    Once you find the "one" I've gone through a dozen saddles trying to find the right one and have discovered MY saddle is the Giant flow 1. Nothing fancy. Just fits my ass perfect an I can ride in it all day/race. I have three now. One on each bike. Bought a brooks b17 for my fixed gear cus I thought it was the stylin' thing to do but I hate the brooks especially on a 24 mile commute at 5am. At that hour I just wish I had the ability to coast and my osprey full of piping hot coffee. I swapped that sucker out with a flow 1 ASAP

Anyone wanna buy a cheap newish brooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Thank goodness I was a penny pinching bastard and bought an older used Brooks B17 for my commuter on fleabay. Saved lots of money and it was already broken in. A very comfy saddle.

I would probably not be able to tolerate breaking in a new Brooks.

The other saddle I like on my mtb is a Specialized Rival MTB. I used the Ass-O-Meter to pick the size and it's been a great saddle for me on up to 7hr rides.

I regret purchasing Slime tire liners many years ago. They were crap. Shortly after installing them, a honey locust thorn (very much like a framing nail) pierced the tire and that crappy liner. When I started buying good tires, I stopped having problems with big thorns like that.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Doesn't everyone have an orphan 1.5" stem on their bench?
    I have it on my bike.

I regret having every single one of my bikes, as right now I can build up several that are better (or just different and new, which is really the same thing), but I can find no reason to get rid of the old ones. Maybe if I bought some crap it would have been easier to discard.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    My biggest mtb purchasing mistake was buying crappy saddles in the past. Hurt like hell. I don't remember what they were...just that they came from the shop's bargain bin for like $9.99 or something. Owwwe.
    I'm running a Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Kevlar/Carbon seat.
    Damn, it hurts. But at that price, I'm going to see if I can get used to it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    rookie mistakes,right?
    ...live and learn.
    ...No more buying xtra tires just because they're cheep.
    ...They don't do much good after they get all dried out.
    I wish tire makers published dates of manufacture and possible expiration dates for the materials they're made of.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Buying about 30 tubes and then converting my all my tires over to tubeless. It'll take me years to go through the tubes. Also buying schrader tubes when my wheels valve openings are only wide enough for prestas

Ridin' Furry
    Dropping 120$ bucks on Kenda Slant 6's for my 29ers just to find out you cant run them tubeless haha... bought wrong pair.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My biggest MTB purchasing mistake was a Giant. The most expensive frame I've ever bought, and the first frame that cracked under my butt.

mtbr member
    Super awesome newb mistake:

Circa 1999.
    Bought my first bike (1998 Voodoo Hoodoo CroMo Hard Tail)
    Bought some cheap SPD's at Performance
    Found a clearance table...found clipless shoes that fit for $24.00

Hit the trail and could not figure out why I was slipping all over the place when I stepped off on rocks...it scared the crap out of me to put my foot down because the shoes would just slide all over the place.

Yeah...this dumb newb had bought roadie shoes. HA!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Buying Spesh Winter clipless boots last month (they were in a sale and wanted some for years) before converting to Flats this month :/

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast