Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oh! and Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and Candy peddles. What junk. My own fault though, I did'nt learn my lesson until 4 pair later.

And Brooks B17 saddle. I still have haunting memories of the worst numbness I had ever experienced. This is by far the worst purchase ever. Fad saddle only, not meant for actual use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^Lol maybe for your ass. ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Buying a FS bike from Sports Authority when my wife said "You'll be sorry". In 5 months the rims were out of true, seatpost bent from rear shock bottoming out and the fork was oozing black stuff. Had everything replaced under warranty and quickly sold it to someone to ride on the street and "look cool".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    ^Lol maybe for your ass. ...
    Yeah, I heard they were great saddles and that's what made me buy one. Unfortunately it wasn't my ass that was going numb. I was convined that these saddles were meant for people without sexual organs.
    This is a regretfull purchase thread and that was my most regretfull purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My apologies. Different strokes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    My apologies. Different strokes...
    No sweat. I expected to take some heat for that comment. I know how much love there is out there for Brooks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    Also very mildly disappointed in my Avalanche Woodie shock. It's great but the guy from Avalanche was pretty adamant that it should be revalved (not just turning the knobs) if I go from a 400# spring to a 450. I said I like to experiment with different settings while I figure out what I want, he said I'm not the sort of customer they want. They want customers who already know what they want (or who buy what they're told they want). I later found something on their web site that says they can offer a valving with a broad range of adjustability but that never came up in the phone conversation. All of that said, it rides great - I have no complaints about that. Another good product that just isn't for me.
    that's interesting, and kind of sad for me to hear. I've loved all the stuff that I've owned that Avy has produced...I truly feel that they have a quality to their products that other manufacturers miss...and I have had mostly good experiences with Craig, such as a lengthy conversation about what shock would be suitable for a specific frame, and whether he could do anything with them aftermarket....but I've also heard from multiple people of their difficulties in trying to deal with him and get him to do what THEY wanted, rather than what HE wanted. He's also extremely picky about rebuilds and stuff. I've talked to him multiple times about trying to lighten parts up, change this or that, or whatever, and each one constitutes a complete rebuild plus all new parts and all sorts of craziness. There's no "sure, we can lighten your fork by removing a damper and installing a dummy rod, since we sell a fork just like that". It's "Oh, you'll need a new leg, lower, upper, spring, dummy rod, dropout, oil, letter to your parents, and two tickets to CATS". It always turned me off a bit to know that even he makes every single component of everything he sells, he can't figure out a way to swap them and make them easier to carry from frame to frame.

mtbr member
    My Nicolai Helius AC Pinion. It has ruined derailleur equipped bikes for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Back in the early nineties, my overenthusiastic bike shop owner/friend/mechanic convinced me to commission him to build for me, what was probably the first eight speed cassette in the world. Eight cogs and thin spacers jammed on an XT 7 speed freehub body,
    weird looking dish on the wheel I recall. Thought I was gonna be groundbreaking in the good sense. I broke the ground alright.
    Wheel literally exploded on a fast downhill! No major injury but the wheel was so mangled, I could not even remove it from the frame! Chagrined mechanic built me a new wheel for free, and to this day I only ride a seven speed cassette! (Not really).

Also went thru a wide variety of funky brake systems in an attempt to improve on the wretched cantilevers in the pre-Vee brake era. Interloc Racing Design Rollercams and Westpine Scissorcams were both overcomplicated, underpowered, experiments in engineering and machining that I threw money away on in a vain quest for predictable brakes.

We have it much better these days. Most stuff now seems pretty reliable compared to the purple anodization era!
    "....All of your so-called friends, I'll take you where the sidewalk ends..." Robbie Robertson, "American Roulette"

Brackish
    I built a DJ bike that I thought would be cool, with a parts spec that really spoke to my aesthetic and the local businesses that I liked at the time. The only problem was I am a poor dirt jumper and the bike, while spec'd perfectly for aesthetic sensibilities, rode like a cast iron pig. $1400 lesson learned.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    ...but I've also heard from multiple people of their difficulties in trying to deal with him and get him to do what THEY wanted, rather than what HE wanted.
    That is a nice summary of our conversation. And it's kind of a relief, because I thought it was just me!

The other thing that bothers me about that shock is that the controls are practically inaccessible with the shock installed. I now suspect that this may have been a deliberate design decision.

Brackish

Re: What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Quote Originally Posted by Westache View Post

I like platforms and honestly crank along damn good in them. I really think a lot of people who are staunch clipless riders use them as band aids for improper technique; much the same as a lot of full suspension riders use them to avoid using leg straightening and body position on a hard tail.
    This. I use and love both, but once I started hitting truly technical descending I found my decade of purely clipless use had left me with several bad habits. I had to really focus on flats for a few months to get to the same natural ease I have with clipless pedals, but it was worth it in the long run.

mtbr member
    My next purchase?

I want to buy a new bike next season. I have all kinds of justifications. My bike is 10 years old, newer geometry will help me ride better, bigger wheels will aid in getting over rocks and logs - i.e. the usual excuses but am I making a mistake?

We all need to be honest with ourselves and admit we won't instantly become a better rider just because we have more suspension, bigger wheels, different paint or more gears.

So my concern is that getting a new bike will be a mistake.

Alas, life is full of mistakes and darn it, I want that new Tallboy LTc, Pivot 429 or Remedy 29 and any one of them will make me ride better and compensate for getting old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The other thing that bothers me about that shock is that the controls are practically inaccessible with the shock installed. I now suspect that this may have been a deliberate design decision.
    I do agree that the screw or wrench-only adjusters are the biggest PITA you could design. Seriously why not a knob instead of a wrench flat or screwdriver slot? They did seem to work quite well though...

At least now that the world of mountain bike suspension is getting demystified, you can get a quality shock from a lot of vendors...back in 1998 that wasn't the case!

V-Shaped Rut
    Both 29ers that I bought. All the talk and reviews are very convincing but I felt like the wheels take more to get moving and kinda flop around when you need to steer quickly. I wanted to like them but I ended up selling one for a 26er and the other for a 27.5 both of which I feel ride much better.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I want to buy a new bike next season. I have all kinds of justifications. My bike is 10 years old, newer geometry will help me ride better, bigger wheels will aid in getting over rocks and logs - i.e. the usual excuses but am I making a mistake?

We all need to be honest with ourselves and admit we won't instantly become a better rider just because we have more suspension, bigger wheels, different paint or more gears.

So my concern is that getting a new bike will be a mistake.
    The purpose of a new bike is not to make you a better rider.

The purpose of a new bike is to have more fun.

Those two things are only very loosely related.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I do agree that the screw or wrench-only adjusters are the biggest PITA you could design. Seriously why not a knob instead of a wrench flat or screwdriver slot? They did seem to work quite well though...
    Needing tools is only half of the problem - I'd need to drill a hole straight through the downtube to get a screwdriver to one of the compression adjusters.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The purpose of a new bike is not to make you a better rider.

The purpose of a new bike is to have more fun.

Those two things are only very loosely related.
    The purpose of a new bike is NEW BIKES ZOMG

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Oh, right. That too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Both 29ers that I bought. All the talk and reviews are very convincing but I felt like the wheels take more to get moving and kinda flop around when you need to steer quickly. I wanted to like them but I ended up selling one for a 26er and the other for a 27.5 both of which I feel ride much better.
    i'm the opposite. I rode a 650b for a year and thought it was a small improvement over 26. I'd rather go big (29) or go home (26) and save my money. I'm not sure of what the point of 650b is, nowadays, besides selling more bikes. I moved from 26 to 29 to 650b back to 29 and now also 29+, and 29 is where it's at, if you can get a decently designed bike, and they aren't easy to find.

Life is Short...Ride Hard
    I bought a Trek once....
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Trek Fuel 70

mtbr member

Re: What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

I bought a trek 3700 once....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Bio Pace

Competent User

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Squeal Out. Thought it would fix my avid elixirs. It didn't. Nothing did.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Marinovative cheap trick brakes (early v-brake) and tech-lite levers. Really cool at the time, but super sketchy brakes........lol.

Name:  9001062.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  13.8 KB

Name:  h1h_tech_lite_frt.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  10.4 KB

mtbr member
    5 piece multi tool... Frickin useless doesn't fit majority of things on bike!?

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad ™
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hmm MTB crap products

Shimano XT wheels - blew the free hub and bent the rear wheel within a few weeks, the least durable "All mountain" wheels ever.
    Original CODA (Cannondale) disc brakes circa 2001 - they just didn't stop, the V-brakes they replaces worked better
    Any Crank Bros pedal - I was at the point where I broke a pair of pedals every month, they would send me a new pair and I'd break them again.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Bought my bike last fall,so had about 10-12 pinch flats.
    I now own 15 tubes.
    I thought it was my fat ass,& side scorching rocks.
    Last flat was on flat gravel, i made a sharp turn,pop.
    I inspected the tire,no problem,rim,no pro....Wait!
    I found a small punch out from one of the spoke holes under the rim strip.
    Hardly noticable.
    No further trouble.

**** this ****
    ^^It could be worse, kid I used to work with kept getting pinch flats, explained (in small words) what was happening--happened again the next day.

"I put less air in, because then it won't pinch, with less pressure, right?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    before i got into biking I bought a hybrid bike....thought it was the best of both worlds (road and mtn) and realized that it was the worst of both worlds hahahaha....few months later it got stolen and i had to feign sadness

mtbr member
    With the exception of maybe my old 97 Stumpjumper M2 hardtail frame, pretty much every major part I've ever bought for any bike has let me down at one point or another. Even the ridiculous, stupid money XTR parts. If a rear derailleur is only gonna last half a year, why not just buy alivio and just shrug when it grenades instead of being almost sick over a $100+ chunk of twisted crap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tothepeak View Post
    Sram brakes, XX and XO specifically

Kenda Slant Six tires
    Maxxis Ardent tires

those two tires go down as worst tires I've ever ridden.

Crank Brothers Candy pedals. I am head over heels for my eggbeaters, and have never had an issue with them, but the Candy pedals are the worst pedals I've ever used
    Ha...love Ardents for a back tire. I run them on sandstone, silt, and loose over hard. Different strokes...

Off the back...
    Avid BB7 brakes. Jaysus fook, are they horrible. 1st gen Ritchey clipless pedals. Rock Shox Boxxer. Ritchey Z-Max tires. Generic purple ano v-brakes. Ritchey Logic cantis.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

Off the back...
    the purpose of a new bike is new bikes zomg
    qft
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    WTB Nano race 40 x 700c tires. Not because they are bad or anything, just that they won't work with a wide rim so they are useless to me unless I build new wheels. Not building new wheels to run cross tires on my mountain bike.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My first bike was a size too small

And 2014 Fox Float CTD BV is def one I'd like to undo, however there's only one way to learn.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp
    '9x Spec' Hardrock Cromo rigid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dropper post. While it does make some scary descents more fun, it's just not needed and cost to much plus another part to maintenance. I find that I lose to much time with my seat down as normally I'm pedaling on some downhill sections and at the end of the decent to get as fast as I can to go up the next hill. My times since getting the dropper have increased.

Spending lots of money trying to weight weenie my bike. Built a second bike for friends out of my old xcal parts and tuned it the way I like it. Bike weighs 5lbs more then my other bike and just smoked my time on it. Lesson learned here is skill, training, and how well your bike is adjusted to you trumps weight weenieing to death!!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Squeal Out. Thought it would fix my avid elixirs. It didn't. Nothing did.
    Take the pads out. IPA wipe till clean, put in oven at 400f for 30-60 min. Sand lightly and ipa wipe again. Ipa wipe the rotors, put pads back in and squeal be gone!!! Done this a bunch of times and it works. Avid Elixers seem to be a lot more sensitive to contamination.

If it still squeals check caliper alignment.

mtbr member
    India Plae Ale?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    Take the pads out. IPA wipe till clean, put in oven at 400f for 30-60 min. Sand lightly and ipa wipe again. Ipa wipe the rotors, put pads back in and squeal be gone!!! Done this a bunch of times and it works. Avid Elixers seem to be a lot more sensitive to contamination.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerdawg View Post
    India Plae Ale?
    Haha.... Yeah you can drink it to..... No IPA is rubbing alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol!!!

Competent User

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post

If it still squeals check caliper alignment.
    Yeah I did all that. Then I sold the brakes and got shimano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Bought some rim tape to go with my tubeless conversion, only to realize it's "cloth" tape and not good for the conversion. $6.99 wasted, but I'll keep it in my tool drawer for a rainy day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    29er....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Way back in the day (early 90s) I was riding at Blue Marsh, PA. On the drive home we came across a bike shop and wandered in. Lo and behold they had a couple pairs of Sidi winter boots on super closeout. I went back on forth on which size to get but eventually settled and bought a pair. Weeks later I pulled them out of the box and - like an idiot - found I had purchased one right boot in each size. DOH! I never did go back to swap them.

Oh, and Onza clipless pedals **shudder** ... I still have scars.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Bought a Bridgestone MB-3 when I had the money for an MB-0 but wanted a suspension fork. Never bought the fork, really liked the MB-3 but really really wish I had the Zip now.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by targeezer View Post
    Bought my bike last fall,so had about 10-12 pinch flats.
    I now own 15 tubes.
    I thought it was my fat ass,& side scorching rocks.
    Last flat was on flat gravel, i made a sharp turn,pop.
    I inspected the tire,no problem,rim,no pro....Wait!
    I found a small punch out from one of the spoke holes under the rim strip.
    Hardly noticable.
    No further trouble.
    Don't feel bad, almost every month I meet a person with a new bike that has frequent flat problems caused by rim imperfections not covered by a cheap rim strip. I always cover the stock rim strip with duct tape and I've not had one person ever replace the duct tape with another rim tape. I've got a pair of 33 year old rims that still have duct tape on them (from 33 years ago). On my last set of wheels I switched to Stan's Rim tape and it seems really good, we'll see if it lasts 33 years.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Master Bukkake Blaster
    Sep 2014
    a trek x cal 6... lol
    bike people are either some of the worst and most annoying people, or some of the coolest people you could meet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    2011 Second Hand Scott Genius LT30 for my son.
    The Genius twin lock system and proprietary DT equilizer 3 shock are a disaster.
    Unreliable, expensive to service and because of the design of the bike being a pull shock design you cant get a replacement, you are stuck with the DT shock
    Never ever buy a bike which use proprietary components such as shocks, forks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahPhillips View Post
    29er....
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    using tires that are not tubeless-specific on tubeless rims without tubes. I have tried three different tires that I got for free or in a trade with lousy results. it is possible to get a non-tubeless tire to seal up and hold for a while, but a tire that was designed to be used tubeless seals better and is much less likely to get sliced sidewalls. YMMV but I for one am not going to waste time on the headache. stick to tried and true tires that seal up right and stay there.

also, lightweight tires in general. you don't need a boat anchor of a tire, but anything "lite weight" never seems to hold up to real trails.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast