Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    My biggest MTB purchase mistake was waiting 29 years to buy one.
    32 years!!

neeeds donation$ for bike
    a carbon handlebar. I dont like carbon off road.

mtbr member
    I think the Vans Half Cab Pro's that I just bought today are a mistake.

Gonna try to take them back tomorrow, but I wore them a bit already and they are dirty and scuffed. Soles felt good in the store, but on the bike seem too thin. I can almost feel the pins of my pedals through the sole.

$75 down the drain if they won't return them.
    2013 Trek Marlin (Black)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just today, I mistakenly had my rear mechanical disc brake pads replaced because they were sticking. The LBS tech said the pads were worn out but when he removed the pads, they were still thick. I discovered later why the brakes were sticking was because I wrapped an extra MTB handlebar I was transporting on the frame. I tightly wrapped the velcro around the top tube it was grabbing the rear brake cables.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    buying parts from a "friend". Found 6 cracks in the frame, he won't help me out, we aren't friends anymore. A little sad, but good to know I suppose!

I bought a "one bike quiver" at one point. Besides the sad condition of the bike, the frame didn't do anything well, rather than being good at just one thing. Buying completes off the intertubes is always a huge gamble. Missed on this one, but got lucky on others.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    1) 3D purple Ringle components including stem, skewers, seat clamp, seat post, hubs

2) white tires (Panaracer smoke & dart combo)

3) Jamis Dakar XCT - fortunately I dumped the frame before it broke like all my buddies who bought them

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if you want to get rid of your 3d purple ringle stuff, I'll gladly take them off your hands

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think all I have left is a REALLY long Ringle purple stem. Zooka they called it. It's crazy long - maybe 150mm? Everything else broke and was chucked. PM me if you are interested

The Fastest of Bananas
    Avid Elixer CRs: Felt soft no matter what, they only thing they were good at was being light.

Full Suspension frame: I think it was a Sette. for the price it was ok, but I belong on a hardtail.

Buying any parts new. I had a ton of money in my race bike back two years ago.

Face it, 90% of anything you can want is used on ebay. Once in a while you get burned, but I generally pay a third of what it is new for a lightly used part. And Im just gonna go out and beat it up myself.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bought used Crankbrothers Candy pedals... remember it was quite of a good deal. I realize six months later why. The right side pedal had a problem with its spring. The spring shifts to the side and then the pedal won't clip. Fixed it several times by moving back the spring in place but it keeps happening. Generally at the worst time possible. Being unable to clip back when in a tough descent is not funny. Could probably get them repaired/rebuilt though.

Biking clothes: bought some cheap ones at first when I began biking... never really wore them as I always picked the more expensive but also more comfortable ones when going to ride.

mtbr member
    Well there was that unfortunate spandex purchase.... Ever see a Clyde in spandex? Lol

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  69.6 KB
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Only a month in and so far not too many mistakes but I am already sort of regretting one.

Pedals: Picked up a set of Azonic 420's. They are AWESOME pedals, however now I realize I am wanting a more low profile pedal. The up side is that the Azonic are AWESOME quality and so I will be picking up Azonic Flat Iron's.

ragley blue pig x

Re: What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

asd
    Last edited by manbat; 09-17-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    1: bought a cheap front wheel that weighed 1.3 kg
    2: bought a cheap rear wheel that weighed 1.5 kg
    3: bought slime inner tubes that weighed a ton each for the above mentioned wheels
    4: not going to mention the tyres

I ended up with a wheelset that was so heavy it distorted space and time
    I used to work for a shop that did these super thorn-proof setups for about 30 bucks a wheel. It would consist of tire liners, a heavy duty thorn proof tube, and sealant inside that tube. On road bikes with 23mm tires, I found it hard to believe that there was any room left for air.

Just Ride.
    I don't know how anyone can ride without clipless pedals. I rode a bike the other day with flats and it was horrible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

Don't dismiss flats just like that, they help you work on the proper technique. I believe that occasionally switching to flats really works best if you wish to advance your skills further.

26 for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by discohospital View Post
    Don't dismiss flats just like that, they help you work on the proper technique. I believe that occasionally switching to flats really works best if you wish to advance your skills further.
    Yep. Nope. Pass.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    I don't dismiss clipless. But after riding what is some challenging and technical stuff as well as stuff that involves jumping, all of my clipless friends start the ride by saying...

When are you going to change to clipless?

We then go ride the scary stuff and they walk. Them they say, too sketchy to ride clipless...

I like platforms and honestly crank along damn good in them. I really think a lot of people who are staunch clipless riders use them as band aids for improper technique; much the same as a lot of full suspension riders use them to avoid using leg straightening and body position on a hard tail.

in both situations people would have more riding talent if they just took the time to learn to use what they have to the fullest before upgrading.

Cannondale Snob
    Did a year-long custom build on a frame that was two sizes too small. A couple of phone calls and an E-Bay auction later I had the correct frame and swingarm to swap all the parts onto.

Buying a set of rims without checking if they were designed to be tubeless first. They aren't, but Stan's rim strips solved that well enough.

I tend to research everything quite a lot before I buy, and have avoided making too many purchasing mistakes.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    1) 3D purple Ringle components including stem, skewers, seat clamp, seat post, hubs

2) white tires (Panaracer smoke & dart combo)

1)Zooka stem was awesome; still like the look. Maybe not 150mm of it, but still cool.

2)Wasn't the white tires Onza Porcupines? I thought the Smoke/Dart were tan?
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Buying a DH. Never again.
    The thing is that I hate air and if there is no air, then a hardtail will be good enough for most stuff.
    Also, I like climbing almost as much as I love descending.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie View Post
    Bought the cheap model Enduro in 2006, and ended up not liking the fork, shock, brakes, wheels, crank, or derailleur. The frame was solid!
    Roger that. My first Stumpjumper I really should not have gone FSR. I bought the cheapest model with the worst components that all wore out as soon as I got comfortable pushing the bike. While nothing ever actually failed, it accelerated, shifted, handled and stopped differently every time I got on it!

So the second time around, I made sure not to make the same mistake. I bought the same model bike, 5 years newer, but this time with the highest component spec available and what a difference!

It's getting around that time again where I'm going to be shopping for a bike soon and as much as I would like to go carbon fiber, the price point will be a stretch, so I'm reigning it in and looking at either aluminum with the best components or considering buying a carbon fiber frame and moving all the components over.

mtbr member
    Some Kevlar tire liners back in the '90s so I could run semi-slick tires w/o so many flats...made a terrible wobble in my tires..worthless.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Was riding a 2007 Trek 3900 hardtail with rim brakes for my first bike. Sold it and bought a 2005 Specialized Hardrock with mech disc brakes. The spesh ended up being twice as heavy as the Trek (didnt realize when buying it), which made it harder to stop even with the disc brakes.

Probably gonna drop some cash on a 650b bike from Giant here pretty soon (hopefully I won't add that one to this list).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I bought a nice Easton Haven 50mm stem, it was so Bling-bling!
    oops it was meant for a 1.5" diameter fork not 1 1/8" that is on my bike.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast