Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    squish, squish in da fish
    @manbat HA! i just got done doing the same damn thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I originally wanted to build a 1*9 hardtail strictly for off-road use.I ended up getting a used Giant frame,for 100 euros.
    Which turned out to be repainted pearl white to cover up a fixed welded break at the rear end,which causes the rear wheel to sit slightly to the left....:/
    so i went single speed with a broken frame....

Interplanetary Poultry
    Back in the 90's. . . . . a suspension seat post. Remember them?. . . . Oh how bad of an idea was that?

There was a company, I want to say Wilwood, or Wylwood, or some such. . . anyway. . . I tried their carbon fiber front forks (suspension, not rigid). . . Oh that was bad. They would blow out as soon as I got up to speed on the trail. Rebuilt em, took em to a race and they blew out before the halfway point of the first lap. The only thing I can say good about them is they looked great.

Baggy shorts for XC. Just an all around bad idea. Bought a pair of baggy shorts with the built in padding/riding shorts. They were fine for just putzing around on a group ride, but man did they sap the life out of my legs when I made the mistake of wearing them for a race.

local trails rider
    Well... I did by the FS bike.

... it is still sitting in the store room, waiting for a year when I might feel like trying it again.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Fox CTD 29er fork for my Tallboy. When the sag is set right I blow through the travel. When I set it to the recommended pressure it loses an inch of travel.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bought a 'Crappy Tire' low end Steve Bauer mtb for my 1st bike

After the Steve Bauer got stripped of most of the upgraded parts by thieves I bought a 17" frame.

I'm 6' 5" and the shop said not a word about this fact....

Luckily I traded that frame for a bigger Norco Bush Pilot frame.

Then I bought a used carbon fibre Miyata Elevation 10,000 in 19"...

It barely fit but did hook me into the sport.

More recently I cheaped out and bought a $35 1985 Raleigh road bike that I then spent $400 'upgrading'.

It is still a crappy bike......

Luckily I realize that sometimes I'm just dumb.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    clipless pedals and shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just got back into riding after a couple of years off and wanted to upgrade the fork on my XC bike so I bought a coil sprung Manitou Match Comp thinking it was air sprung.Oh well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Buying an Azonic DH specific saddle for my XC build.

Also, add another to the clipless crew... I gave them a valiant effort. I wore out 4 sets of pedals and 2 pairs of shoes. Still felt like a much better rider on flats! A lot of wasted money there.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Buying Shimano SPD shoes sight unseen when they first released them in 1990. I have always sworn size 42 shoes - except apparently in Shimano, where I need size 43. I kept telling myself that they would stretch out but they never did.

However, I never ride without clipless (except for a quick dash to the store). I have so much better control of the bike and climbing power. Sorry guys...

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    my Cannondale F4 because it is a horrible climber and heavy. Replaced her with a Tomac Tao and I am happier person..

Perpetual n00b

What are the MTB purchasing mistakes you have made?

2011 Salsa Mukluk. Money pit. I'm not in a high enough income bracket to sustain ownership of a fat bike apparently. The benefits certainly did not justify the cost (for me).
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Buying a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    Not sure if this is going to qualify here. I bought a pair of Bontrager baggie shorts today that when I got home I noticed they were Women Specific Designed.I'm going to wear them anyways cause they fit so well.
    LOL. I did the same thing but with a different brand!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Recently tried to upgrade my brakes from Juicy 3s to SLXs...found a great deal on a rear SLX online. In my excitement I neglected to pay attention to the length of the hose. I tried to mount the brake to the bike, and the hose was about 2 inches too short....1400mm is definitely NOT long enough. -__- so now I get to buy a new hose and completely rebleed the system. Not such a great deal anymore
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member

1. Clip less pedals and shoes. Numbness and crashing issues. Ride Spike Spanks and Teva's now and much happier
    2. Buying a base line Rockhopper when I should of went the extra for a Stumpy in 2001
    3. Stupid looking helmets.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeltramo View Post
    Recently tried to upgrade my brakes from Juicy 3s to SLXs...found a great deal on a rear SLX online. In my excitement I neglected to pay attention to the length of the hose. I tried to mount the brake to the bike, and the hose was about 2 inches too short....1400mm is definitely NOT long enough. -__- so now I get to buy a new hose and completely rebleed the system. Not such a great deal anymore
    You're not going to remember that extra expense once you start using those brakes, and your life will become blissful and trouble free. You're almost there.

mtbr member
    Buying a bike with a 9mm QR

mtbr member
    Biggest Mistake: Bought a Wheeler Wasp frame in 2004 second hand, because it looked cool. Geometry was ****, the seatstay flexed like hell while braking and you could only fit SAINT hubs with the derailleur fitted to the axle. I put that frame on ebay after two weeks because I was SO frustrated, because I wanted to take that bike on my first pan-european biking road-trip with buddies and had spent all my dough on it.
    Naturally it sold for a measly low sum (it really WAS shitty).

But it also lead to the BEST bike buy in my life.

In desperate need for a new frame (for my Euro road trip) my Dad gave me some money and told me to just buy something, because he was also pumped about me road-tripping. Miraculously a like new 2003 (new style) Santa Cruz Heckler with a Fift Element was for sale almost locally. I pulled the trigger and the seller even sent me a brand-new Thomson Elite post with the frame (and headset and derailleur etc.)

I built it up with my parts and had the time of my life that summer. I got the frame for a great price, but it would have been a great deal even for triple the amount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Buying a roof rack instead of a hitch rack for my 4Runner. I rarely use it because it's a PITA to get my bike up there. Of course, the truck wouldn't fit in the garage if I put a hitch rack on it, so I don't know if I really would have been better off...

Specialized seat. It looked cool and it was light, but it was uncomfortable as all hell. It got stolen, which gave me an excuse to buy a PureV.

Carbon bar ends. I never use them and I've crashed several times because they snag on trees. Why are they still on my bike? At least they were only $10...

Avid SD5s. Should have ponied up for the 7s. The 5s rusted within a year and never worked right. I ended up replacing them with 7s, which have been flawless.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Sold a Columbus Genius framed hard tail for a POS full suspension POS back in 98-99.
    I'd talked myself into the fully without realising what I was already riding was a VERY nice bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    1. Buying from 2 shops (due to lack of availability at summer's end) that lacked knowledge of suspension & pivot parts with poor after sales service.
    2. Buying a Yeti (at least I branched out and tried a new brand of bike; unfortunately, it possessed a quite a bit defects from the start).
    3. Buying brands that either reorganized or went bust a year after bike was purchased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Giant Yukon. Should of bought something different 5 years ago. I have not ridden it for 2 years (daughter has) but it will soon be given to some friends that their teen doesn't have a bike.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Avid hydraulic brakes. They warbled, garbled, howled, screamed, screeched - think of a noise and those brakes made it. And then the mistake of thinking that was "normal." Horrible to bleed too.

Anything made by Fox. Forks that never got full travel and ate their bushings. Shocks that wallowed through the midstroke.

Super light tubes for my everyday trail bike. Self explanatory.

190g Nashbar saddles with pointy edges. Got my shorts caught on the front AND the back multiple times, until I finally ripped a pair.

Buying stuff because it's really cheap. It's really cheap for a reason.

mtbr member

Avid brakes

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast